Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland be divided between East and West??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

The future is uncertain my friend,due to rising population and some rather odd weather the past couple of years food prices are only going one way and that is up.It never hurt to have precautions.In 10 years time your job could be obsolete(you never know)while the farmer will be around forever

im a pianist. hotels/pubs will always hire me, even now i get up to 1000 euro for doing as little as playing the music for a primary school play.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Fbjm wrote: »
    im a pianist. hotels/pubs will always hire me, even now i get up to 1000 euro for doing as little as playing the music for a primary school play.

Are you not a little worried about the future?In times of hardship entertainment is the first thing to go.I am not a farmer however i bought a share in a farm because as a professional poker play/investor i know how uncertain the future is and i just hate having my assets in cash.I have worked way to hard for a depression to come and take everything(its coming)at least now i wont starve.

Are you not a little worried about the future?In times of hardship entertainment is the first thing to go.I am not a farmer however i bought a share in a farm because as a professional poker play/investor i know how uncertain the future is and i just hate having my assets in cash.I have worked way to hard for a depression to come and take everything(its coming)at least now i wont starve.

well i've only really started this year, and so far my experience of the music world is that i'm getting numerous offers popping up all over the place job wise. there's always a pub out there with a piano sitting in the corner who are looking for someone to play a certain night a week. i could leave my house any day of the week, within an hour i'd have found a pub with a piano in it, within three hours i'd have found a pub with a piano and a free night. there just aren't that many looking nowadays, or ever. demand is high. so, since it's 2011 and i'm not only employed, but still getting offers left, right and centre; i'd have to say no, i'm not a bit worried. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

well i've only really started this year, and so far my experience of the music world is that i'm getting numerous offers popping up all over the place job wise. there's always a pub out there with a piano sitting in the corner who are looking for someone to play a certain night a week. i could leave my house any day of the week, within an hour i'd have found a pub with a piano in it, within three hours i'd have found a pub with a piano and a free night. there just aren't that many looking nowadays, or ever. demand is high. so, since it's 2011 and i'm not only employed, but still getting offers left, right and centre; i'd have to say no, i'm not a bit worried. :]

So long as your happy..:) I was not trying to take some sort of highground with you just some advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

If you phone Weather Dial looking for a forecast, Dublin has a separate number from the rest of Leinster. Size wise, Dublin is the third smallest county in Ireland.

It's weather is not going to differ so dramatically from the rest of the province, so why the fcuk does it have its own special forecast? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Because small concentrated area with more serious activities requires more precise forecast

all you need know bogger, is that it'll be cloudy with a chance of puffballs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

who's richer?
    no, but i can use that money to purchase larger quantities of edible substances ;)
    Not without people producing it you won't, you rely on us a lot more than we rely on you.
    Try going 3 days without spending money, then go 3 days without eating, compare and contrast. :)

I had my morning cup of coffee outside, listening to the birds singing, watching "my" fox doing its morning rounds, watching the tide come in and the seals bobbing around in a dead calm sea, that doesn't require money, (I can feel your jealousy :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

my five hours crack was hyperbole, i'm perfectly aware how far away galway is, having driven there myself two years ago. (i'm having to repeat myself a lot today.) regarding crime, i don't personally know anyone who's been affected. though i did see a thread a few months ago about a guy in mayo/galway who got his bmw stolen, so you're not really winning here :cool:

This link is about Burglaries and Thefts in the Malahide/Swords are. There is more crime there than you think.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CGQQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fingal-independent.ie%2Fnews%2Fburglary-and-theft-causing-major-alarm-2662001.html&ei=FHOJTv3tGamQ0AXEp73UDw&usg=AFQjCNGy09M1VbAOukkm5eSQwQ0qUJKTdA

I seen a thread where a BMW was stolen in Malahide.
    It's not about winning, you are the one who is trying to big up malahide and knock country living.
    I live in the country because I want too, in the current climate no house is safe, we are all in danger of getting burgled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Screw it, lets just cut the country into 4 pieces shall we?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Christ, lets just blow up Dublin so we don't have another one of these threads again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

yes. and we should divide each and every county north to south and declare my testicles as two independant states. the left one is communist

Not without people producing it you won't, you rely on us a lot more than we rely on you.
    Try going 3 days without spending money, then go 3 days without eating, compare and contrast. :)

I had my morning cup of coffee outside, listening to the birds singing, watching "my" fox doing its morning rounds, watching the tide come in and the seals bobbing around in a dead calm sea, that doesn't require money, (I can feel your jealousy :)).

but you do produce it, so yet again the focus of this debate stems back to its' origins: money is better to have than food in the long run. i agree that if all farmers stopped producing food for us city folk you'd have the upper hand. but, wait, that's never happened. except maybe in a war where a nationwide siege was involved, but then we'd all be fecked. so, again, money makes me able to get food AND nice things. food just enables you to get, well... food. :D anyway, this thread has been done over multiple times. unfollow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Are ya serious? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Things are fine as they are.

The rest of the country uses Dublin as a place to dump politicians and we know how much they are all up their own aras, politicians that is.

Dublin is where international reporters go to report on the greed that got this country into a financial and economic mess. Dublin is our Athens.

When Dublin won the football All Ireland it was like a differnt country had won it given the Dublin based media didn't give Kilkenny the same amount of coverage, but that could be because they think it might be another 16 years before Dublin win another one, so that is fair enough.

In fairness I think the other counties in this country are lucky we aren't Dublin, we don't need a split, we just need to show kindness and generosity to Dublin and it's people.
    We just have to be grateful like my neighbours who moved from Dublin that we don't have to live there.

ok :p

but you do produce it, so yet again the focus of this debate stems back to its' origins: money is better to have than food in the long run. i agree that if all farmers stopped producing food for us city folk you'd have the upper hand. but, wait, that's never happened. except maybe in a war where a nationwide siege was involved, but then we'd all be fecked. so, again, money makes me able to get food AND nice things. food just enables you to get, well... food. :D anyway, this thread has been done over multiple times. unfollow.
    If you're dead from starvation you can't spend money. There is no debate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

yes. and we should divide each and every county north to south and declare my testicles as two independant states. the left one is communist

Shouldnt that be CUMmunist?

Min wrote: »
    Things are fine as they are.

The rest of the country uses Dublin as a place to dump politicians and we know how much they are all up their own aras, politicians that is.

Dublin is where international reporters go to report on the greed that got this country into a financial and economic mess. Dublin is our Athens.

When Dublin won the football All Ireland it was like a differnt country had won it given the Dublin based media didn't give Kilkenny the same amount of coverage, but that could be because they think it might be another 16 years before Dublin win another one, so that is fair enough.

In fairness I think the other counties in this country are lucky we aren't Dublin, we don't need a split, we just need to show kindness and generosity to Dublin and it's people.
    We just have to be grateful like my neighbours who moved from Dublin that we don't have to live there.

ok :p

Yes, I agree with the above, but the problem is that the "Howyazzz" and the "Roiiightts" are gradually moving west...so the Shannon might act as a natural barrier:D:D

shannie wrote: »
    what a fail of a thread :confused:

why would you actualy even want to bother asking this question ?
    get on with your life in the west just as everyone else does without complaining in the north south and east..
    sheesh.
    :eek:

The crux of the thread is, or was, about how Dublincentric the country is becoming

If you're dead from starvation you can't spend money. There is no debate. :D

because i'm going to die of starvation. have you stopped producing food yet? my local spar still seems pretty well stocked

• Advertisement

because i'm going to die of starvation. have you stopped producing food yet? my local spar still seems pretty well stocked
    Spar don't produce food in their back rooms, we supply them and aren't you thankful we do. We keep you alive so you can pay for our roads, post offices etc.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

greenpilot wrote: »
    The crux of the thread is, or was, about how Dublincentric the country is becoming

We made a mistake in not properly addressing the imbalance much earlier on, by developing the Cork-Limerick-Galway axis to counter-balance Dublin.

Spar don't produce food in their back rooms, we supply them and aren't you thankful we do. We keep you alive so you can pay for our roads, post offices etc.....

:)

nope, im not thankful. but you'll keep on supplying them anyway, allowing me to lead a more enjoyful, 21st century suburbian life. :D by the way, the both of us are dragging this thread way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Panrich

Cossax wrote: »
    We made a mistake in not properly addressing the imbalance much earlier on, by developing the Cork-Limerick-Galway axis to counter-balance Dublin.

We have never had a proper national development plan. 100 years ago Mayos population was equal to Wicklow, Kidare and Meath combined. Galway had almost as many people, being the third and fourth most populous counties at the time. There was a critical mass of people there to produce a western counterbalance for Dublin but it is too late now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_population_analysis#Mayo

Panrich wrote: »
    We have never had a proper national development plan. 100 years ago Mayos population was equal to Wicklow, Kidare and Meath combined. Galway had almost as many people, being the third and fourth most populous counties at the time. There was a critical mass of people there to produce a western counterbalance for Dublin but it is too late now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_population_analysis#Mayo
    Your 1911 analysis ignores Dublin - the third smallest county. It had the same population as Mayo, Galway and Clare combined.

Those counties put together make up about one fifth of the state.

Wicklow, Kildare and Meath grew along with Dublin - not in spite of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Because small concentrated area with more serious activities requires more precise forecast

all you need know bogger, is that it'll be cloudy with a chance of puffballs

Weird logic there

Surely the country folk need much more precise weather as for some/alot of them the weather has a big impact on their work and lives.

It doesn't matter a damn to a dub if it rains or not

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Weird but "The Pale" still exists, doesn't it?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The countrys nice for a day or two but I couldn't live there permanently,there's nothing to feckin do besides sit in a field or in a pub or talk about feckin GAA,no decent public transport and no internet besides those unreliable,expensive 3g mobile phone dongle things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Weird logic there

Surely the country folk need much more precise weather as for some/alot of them the weather has a big impact on their work and lives.

It doesn't matter a damn to a dub if it rains or not

It does. Shall I take my tea on the verandah, or in the observatory?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Yes, As long as the East is the poor communist side.

Advertisement