Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Ireland be divided between East and West??

Options
  • 02-10-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭

Things have become so Dublincentric, it aint funny!! Even Met Eireann bias their weather reports towards the East Coast first. Im from the East, and having moved West a number of years ago it has become apparent how East Coast Biased most of the media reports, preconceptions et al, are. Even Newstalk, who is apparently supposed to be a National Station has ads for Dublin Taxi Companies for Gods Sake! A Lot of it is down to apathy on the part of people who live in the West of Ireland just paddeling their own canoe, along with this whole "Wests Awake " nonsensical rubbish. If us folks West of the shannon dont wake up and smell the coffee, we will be so left behind we will all HAVE to move East. I actually thought that we might be on to a good thing with the formation of RISE, but sadly, they seem to have vanished. So, in a nutshell, Make Galway the Capital of the Wesht, and disable the Bridges in Portumna and Tarmonbarry!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Make every county a country.

It'd solve everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Stop listening to those Dublin based stations! They don't do death notices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1 million people in one east coast county tends to have that effect in a country of 4.5 milllion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I saw a book for sale in Castlebar once about Connacht seceding from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Only if we can move Finglas to the west of the country somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its because dublin is great and the only real city in Ireland , inside the M50 is where everything happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

JAYSUS!!!!!!!

Do you not think the North South divide is enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greenpilot

But Seriously, is RISE still active? Always thought they were a good lobby group for all that was important outside the Pale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

whilst We're at it I'd like to add in a Definition of Southern Ireland, with a line drawn across from Wexford to Limerick, anything North of that but South of Ulster can be considered Midlands or East/West Coast

its because dublin is great and the only real city in Ireland , inside the M50 is where everything happens

I think you may need to get away more....Is that why you live in Kildare then. I'm from Clane, and last time I checked, the m50 didnt stretch that far...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Yep, West of the Dublin county limit and East of the DCL. Problem solved. Sure we are considered West Brits as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

yes lets have a united states of Ireland, that'll work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

What do you mean outside Dublin? What's outside Dublin? Sorry, does not compute. West of Dublin = America.

I'm in town. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

greenpilot wrote: »
    Things have become so Dublincentric, it aint funny!! Even Met Eireann bias their weather reports towards the East Coast first. Im from the East, and having moved West a number of years ago it has become apparent how East Coast Biased most of the media reports, preconceptions et al, are. Even Newstalk, who is apparently supposed to be a National Station has ads for Dublin Taxi Companies for Gods Sake! A Lot of it is down to apathy on the part of people who live in the West of Ireland just paddeling their own canoe, along with this whole "Wests Awake " nonsensical rubbish. If us folks West of the shannon dont wake up and smell the coffee, we will be so left behind we will all HAVE to move East. I actually thought that we might be on to a good thing with the formation of RISE, but sadly, they seem to have vanished. So, in a nutshell, Make Galway the Capital of the Wesht, and disable the Bridges in Portumna and Tarmonbarry!!:D

iF A COMPANY FROM MAYO WANTS TO ADVERTISE ON NEWSTALK THEY CAN

Why?

Or just get you to shout the ads for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

the west wouldn't survive on it's own as a country, dublin are what dragged ireland out of being a 2nd class country more than 80 years ago. all the businesses, IT factories (twitter, Facebook, google etc) and the moneymakers are based in Dublin. Outside dublin, there are A LOT more farms, hotels and GAA clubs. And nothing much else, really. I went to Galway about two years ago and most cars I saw were built in the early 90s... so, not a lot of money floating out around "the capital of the west" apparently.

TL;DR: all the money's in the east, you need us. ;)

What do you mean outside Dublin? What's outside Dublin? Sorry, does not compute. West of Dublin = America.

I'm in town. It's great.

The future of our great Country right there folks...."I'm in town, its great", You know, a trip to the Kildare Village isnt "down the country" you know ....hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nirvanaholic

BMW region has been forgotten about, in ireland only dublin matters...and im from the west!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I thought it was capital of the west.

How many people in the west of Ireland listen to Newstalk?

• Advertisement

Fbjm wrote: »
    the west wouldn't survive on it's own as a country, dublin are what dragged ireland out of being a 2nd class country more than 80 years ago. all the businesses, IT factories (twitter, Facebook, google etc) and the moneymakers are based in Dublin. Outside dublin, there are A LOT more farms, hotels and GAA clubs. And nothing much else, really. I went to Galway about two years ago and most cars I saw were built in the early 90s... so, not a lot of money floating out around "the capital of the west" apparently.

This may come as a shock to you, but here, in the country, Farms are kind of what one would expect...even a LOT. When you say a lot more farms than Dublin, could you elaborate? By how much exactly?:D

This may come as a shock to you, but here, in the country, Farms are kind of what one would expect...even a LOT. When you say a lot more farms than Dublin, could you elaborate? By how much exactly?:D

well i look out my window and see shops, cafes, and progress in general. tbh its a bit too americanised here for my liking but by a lot, i mean more than a hundred. and farms don't make a lot of money, in case you hadn't noticed :)

Come back to visit now, lots of things have changed, I think I might have spotted an 11g car there last week, just the one mind.

hondasam wrote: »
    Come back to visit now, lots of things have changed, I think I might have spotted an 11g car there last week, just the one mind.

i doubt things have changed all that much in a brief two years, but yay progress :pac:

i doubt things have changed all that much in a brief two years, but yay progress :pac:

I think they might have, I'm not sure but I think I seen a roundabout and one of those big roads they have in Dublin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think you may need to get away more....Is that why you live in Kildare then. I'm from Clane, and last time I checked, the m50 didnt stretch that far...:rolleyes:

if i could afford to live inside the m50 belt, I would.

well i look out my window and see shops, cafes, and progress in general. tbh its a bit too americanised here for my liking but by a lot, i mean more than a hundred. and farms don't make a lot of money, in case you hadn't noticed :)

Well, when I look out my window, I see Clew Bay at the end of my garden with The Reek to my left and Westport to my right. I wouldnt swap it for anywhere, and If you think for one minute that us Farmers dont make money, you are sadly mistaken. After all, Technically, you are paying for us in one form or the other:D Enjoy the lovely sound of trafic filtering through your window on this fine Autumnal Day.!!

The future of our great Country right there folks...."I'm in town, its great", You know, a trip to the Kildare Village isnt "down the country" you know ....hmmm

Kilwhere? Do you mean Kilbarrack?

Progress, to me, is moving from an apartment in Rathmines where I was paying 1100 per month, and moving to the West living in the middle of nowhere in a 5 bedroom house on a two acre site which I bought for less than 200,000 4 years ago, and the only thing we hear when we wake up each morning are the waves booming on the beach near the end of the road.....progress is measured in many ways.:cool:

• Advertisement

Progress, to me, is moving from an apartment in Rathmines where I was paying 1100 per month, and moving to the West living in the middle of nowhere in a 5 bedroom house on a two acre site which I bought for less than 200,000 4 years ago, and the only thing we hear when we wake up each morning are the waves booming on the beach near the end of the road.....progress is measured in many ways.:cool:

shut up now, I am envious of hearing the waves and the beach. Lucky fecker.

Advertisement