Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever bought from Elara online computer hardware store?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭3010

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    The unfortunate fact is people make decisions based on threads like these. Since you came on here blaming Elara because you found it hard to install a part and felt you had no solution to you problem prompted me to make public the option you were given to resolve this. This is not in breach of data protection.

We do not feel it is our responsibility that you find the product hard to install, nor do we feel we should have to take a product back based on that. However if the item is faulty and determined by the manufacturer that it is then we will take the unit back for a full refund as mentioned previously.

Why is it unfortunate Kin? I made a decision to buy something from you and now I am using the same facility to warn people not to give Elara business. That's the nature of the internet - surely as a technology firm you should understand it. Of course I had no alternative to use this forum as I was told 2 completely different things by Elara. And yes, it is a breach of the data legislation - you should really brush up on the relevant Act.

As regards this: "prompted me to make public the option you were given to resolve this.." well I was given two totally different pieces of advice, so surely it should be options?

It is your responsibility under the law to provide products that are easy to use and can be used by any customer. The fact that one of your colleagues admitted as much on the phone to me shows that Elara sold a product it knew was problematic, which is a complete and utter breach of the duty of responsibility under the Goods & Services Act. Indeed, if the transaction were greater and the product bigger, it could be easily argued that Elara engaged in fraud. This is what happened to Toyota in Japan when they sold cars with problems knowingly and they were sued for billions.

You should really check Irish consumer law, this is a breach of it and if, as I said before, the National Consumer Agency found out about this, they would be down on your firm like a ton of bricks.

Also, it appears that you are contradicting yourself again here where you say "if the item is faulty and determined by the manufacturer that it is then we will take the unit back for a full refund". This is not what you just mentioned previously in this thread where you said "however if you can't get it working after help from Asus we would take the unit back based on that". So are you saying you will take it back if it's faulty or if Asus can't give me proper guidance to install it properly?

So are you admitting that it is your responsibility ? That would be another contradiction as you just said "We do not feel it is our responsibility that you find the product hard to install".

It looks like your company is digging itself deeper and deeper. Not a good advert for Elara...

I've bought thousands of euros worth of stuff from elara over the past few years including 3 microservers, 14 x 2TB drives and lots of other raid cabinets etc just in the past few months and always found elara to be a pleasure to deal with.

Would heartily recommend them as one of the best online retailers. :)

EDIT: as for usb guy, dont think stupidity is covered under consumer law.

wow there is no need to be abusive or offensive. Even the techies in Elara have come on here to say installing the product is "a pain in the ass". So are you some super qualified network engineer who is superior to us normal people and even to the techy whizz kids at Elara?

3010 wrote: »
    wow there is no need to be abusive or offensive. Even the techies in Elara have come on here to say installing the product is "a pain in the ass". So are you some super qualified network engineer who is superior to us normal people and even to the techy whizz kids at Elara?

attention howamidifferent: " Under the ‘Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980, goods should be:

· Of merchantable quality
    · As described
    · Fit for its purpose
    · Corresponding to sample"

which the USB I bought doesn't match up to

breach of consumer legislation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Nope, just an average guy with average intelligence and who makes a point of reading user manuals after buying products, long after I've researched the product I intend to buy obviously.

Nope, just an average guy with average intelligence and who makes a point of reading user manuals after buying products, long after I've researched the product I intend to buy obviously.

so by saying this are you suggesting I am in some way less intelligent or inferior to you? it must give you huge satisfaction to sit at your keyboard and hurl insults at people who are trying to get resolution for a problem they have.

I hope you feel really superior and well done for making it personal. good on you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Also, it appears that you are contradicting yourself again here where you say "if the item is faulty and determined by the manufacturer that it is then we will take the unit back for a full refund". This is not what you just mentioned previously in this thread where you said "however if you can't get it working after help from Asus we would take the unit back based on that". So are you saying you will take it back if it's faulty or if Asus can't give me proper guidance to install it properly?

It means that after troubleshooting with Asus, even if the item is not actually faulty, based on the fact they cannot guide you to get it to work, the item will be classed as "faulty". This is your way of returning it without the worry of it being rejected as a working item.

Elara: Kin wrote: »
    It means that after troubleshooting with Asus, even if the item is not actually faulty, based on the fact they cannot guide you to get it to work, the item will be classed as "faulty". This is your way of returning it without the worry of it being rejected as a working item.

so why didn't you just say this in the first place?! It would have saved loads of toing and froing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

attention howamidifferent: " Under the ‘Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980, goods should be:

· As described
    · Fit for its purpose
    · Corresponding to sample"

which the USB I bought doesn't match up to

breach of consumer legislation...

But it is all of those things!!

I can put together a PC. However I can't buy a multiloop water cooling system for it, realise I am in over my head and demand a refund by saying its not
    · As described
    · Fit for its purpose
    · Corresponding to sample
    when it patently is all those things but I am just finding it hard to put together.

What I can do is ring the company, put my hand up and say I made a booboo, didn't realise how hard it was going to be and hope that in the interests of good customer relations/goodwill the company will refund me. I can Hope. I do not have a Right. At the most I could relay my story here and say, "You'd think as an act of goodwill they'd refund me even though I made a mistake". I'd be 100% in the wrong to post, "Disgraceful company...warning others not to deal with this shower etc etc" or words to that effect.

You are 100% in the wrong here. You are coming across as the type of person who always tries to blame someone else, wont take personal responsibility for his mistakes, expects everyone else to bend over backwards to correct your mistakes, is one of those obnoxious people who think the customer is always right and is one of those insufferable people who "I know my rights" when in fact they patently do not.

I have no vested interest in this matter and have never bought anything from Elara.

If they had done what you said they should have when you ordered, you'd be complaining that the staff at Elara spoke to you like a moron when you went to order. "How dare they insinuate the USB thingy might be too difficult for me to install."!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 formysins

Calibos wrote: »

I can put together a PC. However I can't buy a multiloop water cooling system for it, realise I am in over my head and demand a refund by saying its not
    · As described
    · Fit for its purpose
    when it patently is all those things but I am just finding it hard to put together.

What I can do is ring the company, put my hand up and say I made a booboo, didn't realise how hard it was going to be and hope that in the interests of good customer relations/goodwill the company will refund me. I can Hope. I do not have a Right. At the most I could relay my story here and say, "You'd think as an act of goodwill they'd refund me even though I made a mistake". I'd be 100% in the wrong to post, "Disgraceful company...warning others not to deal with this shower etc etc" or words to that effect.

You are 100% in the wrong here. You are coming across as the type of person who always tries to blame someone else, wont take personal responsibility for his mistakes, expects everyone else to bend over backwards to correct your mistakes, is one of those obnoxious people who think the customer is always right and is one of those insufferable people who "I know my rights" when in fact they patently do not.

I have no vested interest in this matter and have never bought anything from Elara.

If they had done what you said they should have when you ordered, you'd be complaining that the staff at Elara spoke to you like a moron when you went to order. "How dare they insinuate the USB thingy might be too difficult for me to install."!!

PSML!!

Please note, I am casting no aspersions on your intelligence. I myself may very well have been pulling my hair out trying to install this USB thing but 'Mea Culpa', I would have only myself to blame and would treat it as a lesson learned. In fact I have some astronomy equipment sitting here at home since 2009 that I can't figure out how to install to my telescope. I can't send the thing back because there is nothing wrong with it, it's just harder to install then I anticipated.

A company rep upon hearing that you bought it for a PowerPC mac, and admitting that it's a pain in the @ss to fit to macs is not the same as you telling them when you ordered that it was for a mac and them either not saying a word or outright lying and telling you it was easy to install on a mac.

Did you ring before ordering?

• Advertisement

· As described
    · Fit for its purpose

I was going to type a detailed reply to this and point out line by line where you are wrong - especially in reference to consumer law - but I can't be bothered as it will just give you the oxygen of attention that a troll like you craves.

Please note, I am casting no aspersions on your intelligence. I myself may very well have been pulling my hair out trying to install this USB thing but 'Mea Culpa', I would have only myself to blame and would treat it as a lesson learned. In fact I have some astronomy equipment sitting here at home since 2009 that I can't figure out how to install to my telescope. I can't send the thing back because there is nothing wrong with it, it's just harder to install then I anticipated.

A company rep upon hearing that you bought it for a PowerPC mac, and admitting that it's a pain in the @ss to fit to macs is not the same as you telling them when you ordered that it was for a mac and them either not saying a word or outright lying and telling you it was easy to install on a mac.

Did you ring before ordering?

Please note, I am casting no aspersions on your intelligence.- well you're doing a great job!

It is for a Mac, I specified this to Kin Mak, Elara's guy on this thread and he recommended the product which is 'a pain in the ass' according to 2 of Elara's staff.

Elara have rectified the situation as everyone can see on this thread and I hope it all gets sorted, but I won't be running back to them to buy more products.

regards

Its not 100% clear on first reading exactly what the sequence of events was. Did you or did you not contact Elara before ordering and ask them whether this thing was suitable for a PowerPC Mac? I'll admit that I may only be disagreeing with you due to a misinterpretation of the sequence of events but that aside, do you always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of being a Troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

What device did you buy that is beyond your level of competence to install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

This thread is brilliant :)

Tallon wrote: »
    This thread is brilliant :)

I couldn't agree more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It's a breach of data protection legislation and can incur severe fines (€3,000 per breach).

PM is welcome but I also see response below from Elara. The only reason I took this public is because I didn't feel satisfied with Elara's response.

What Personal Information has been disclosed? I think your understanding of the Laws you are quoting is a little clouded.
    I was going to type a detailed reply to this and point out line by line where you are wrong - especially in reference to consumer law - but I can't be bothered as it will just give you the oxygen of attention that a troll like you craves.

I'd be interested to see this response actually

Gary ITR wrote: »
    What Personal Information has been disclosed? I think your understanding of the Laws you are quoting is a little clouded.

Indeed - given that we're all on a forum hiding behind usernames in a bid to maintain our anonymity.

A wiser man than me once said that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Its not 100% clear on first reading exactly what the sequence of events was. Did you or did you not contact Elara before ordering and ask them whether this thing was suitable for a PowerPC Mac? I'll admit that I may only be disagreeing with you due to a misinterpretation of the sequence of events but that aside, do you always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of being a Troll?

I've said it a million times already, but for your benefit once again, YES, I did ask them beforehand and they said it was suitable.

No, I don't but you threw a number of insults, accusations and assumptions about me out on the thread, so I made the assumption that you're a troll.

Gary ITR wrote: »

I think it's pretty clear to be honest

I'd be interested to see this response actually - couldn't be bothered, issue has been sorted

• Advertisement

formysins wrote: »
    Indeed - given that we're all on a forum hiding behind usernames in a bid to maintain our anonymity.

A wiser man than me once said that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

the point is that elara has all my private details and knows who I am where I live, what my mobile is and are using that information to match it up to a thread on boards.

the point is that elara has all my private details and knows who I am where I live, what my mobile is and are using that information to match it up to a thread on boards.

But they've disclosed nothing about:
    Who you are
    Where you live
    What your phone number is
    What you've purchased
    How you've paid
    When you made your purchase
    Or any other identifiable information about you.

They have simply processed your data themselves in the natural course of their business which is perfectly within the law of which you speak.

Have ever considered a career as a lawyer or a computer engineer?

Then don't - you'd be sh1t at both. (Incidentally, sarcasm isn't against the law)

Good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't mind repeating myself but once again I will do it for your benefit. I expect as a consumer to be able to purchase technology that fits the purpose I require it for.
    Have bought many things from elara. How the hell could you buy something without checking that it had mac drivers? And what product was it?
    but I won't be running back to them to buy more products.
    You have a ****ing mac. Does the product support your version of mac? I'm sure some products are supported only by certain mac OS versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

the_syco wrote: »
    Have bought many things from elara. How the hell could you buy something without checking that it had mac drivers? And what product was it?

You have a ****ing mac. Does the product support your version of mac? I'm sure some products are supported only by certain mac OS versions.

I also asked that question and received no reply. The person is a dreadful waffler and seems top be pretty useless in computer matters. Next time he/she should go to the local Mac shop and be well served!

formysins wrote: »
    But they've disclosed nothing about:
    Who you are
    Where you live
    What your phone number is
    What you've purchased
    How you've paid
    When you made your purchase
    Or any other identifiable information about you.

They have simply processed your data themselves in the natural course of their business which is perfectly within the law of which you speak.

Have ever considered a career as a lawyer or a computer engineer?

Then don't - you'd be sh1t at both. (Incidentally, sarcasm isn't against the law)

Good night!

Yes, and they are using the private data to then look at a thread on the web and respond publicly about it. Should they be using the data for this? It's not legal - go and look it up?

Have ever considered that you shouldn't abuse people on the internet? I appreciate it's not against the law but it doesn't say a lot about you as a person.

yes, I checked all of these things and was informed by the guy at Elara that it was all compatible and that it supported by my OS. There's no need to use obscene language - it's really unnecessary. Why can't you just ask the question normally?

bette wrote: »
    I also asked that question and received no reply. The person is a dreadful waffler and seems top be pretty useless in computer matters. Next time he/she should go to the local Mac shop and be well served!

I have already responded to this on numerous occasions in this thread and have just responded yet again. For the record, yes I asked Elara if the product they recommended me was compatible with my OS etc and yes, they assured me it was.

Why do you think I'm a waffler? I have explained myself quite clearly on numerous occasions and have avoided using abusive language or personal insults, even though the same has been thrown at me for no reason.

Regards

Like I have said repeatedly, I did check, I was advised by Elara it would work on a Mac, so I bought it in good faith.

This is the product they recommended that I buy for my Mac

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE1904334

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Like I have said repeatedly, I did check, I was advised by Elara it would work on a Mac, so I bought it in good faith.

This is the product they recommended that I buy for my Mac

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE1904334
    EZ WPS Wi-Fi setup - simply insert, simply connect

lol

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    lol

I wish it had been that easy!

Advertisement