Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goodbye ipad , welcome kindle fire

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Ive bought a fire, due to be shipped tio My brothers address in the US at the second half of november.

I will probably also but a pocket sized kindle basic for travelling with. I presume I can use a single paid for e-book on both devices???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

I've ordered one too (via US) but after reading the Kindle forums on Amazon.com it loks as if it could be a brick over here.
    The silk browser won't work properly as the cloud part will only work in the US and there's a rumour that you'll need a US IP address for it to work with that part turned off (as a regular browser).
    You may also need a US credit card address to buy from kindle app or book store.

That said some of that is speculation and there are contradicting stories coming from different posters (some Amazon employees)

So i'm wondering whether i take the risk and see if it works, if not it will probably be jailbroken by the time i get it so can always do that or cancel the order....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I think the Fire is just throwing down the gauntlet to Apple, who are, more and more, relying on the 'Apple hype' more than advanced technology and features. The next version of the Fire, if priced correctly, will be specc'd to take on iPad 3.

I'm waiting for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I wouldn't get one, mostly because a 7" screen wouldn't be of any use to me. Too bulky to carry around along with a smartphone, and not big enough to be a decent laptop alternative. I tried another Android 7" tablet last year, and just didn't get the point of it.
    hardCopy wrote: »
    I lost my Kindle 3G in August but held off replacing it because I had heard rumours of this.

It's a no brainer for me, my parents want to buy me a replacement as a birthday present so will get a Fire now for the same price I paid for the Kindle 3G (although I got that with vouchers).

Ugh, using an LCD a screen as a regular eReader device? A backlit screen would be massive negative for me, not a positive. I'd much rather use my eReader in the same conditions I would read a book.

Until there's some sort of dual LCD/eInk screen setup on a tablet, I can't see myself combining my tablet and eReader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

I get payed tomorrow and am seriously thinking of picking up the 3G Kindle with KB in saying that.. I've always wanted a cheap and cheerful tablet. I wonder if this could be it, or if this only the beginning of something a whole lot bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Ive bought a fire, due to be shipped tio My brothers address in the US at the second half of november.

I will probably also but a pocket sized kindle basic for travelling with. I presume I can use a single paid for e-book on both devices???

Yes, you log in to the Kindle service with your Amazon account and it syncs your placemarks across all devices (phones, computers, tablets etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

two new kindles , one is a new 10in
    read
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57463718-93/two-new-kindle-fires-on-amazons-front-burner/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=readMore

EDIT: its also a quadcore
    mmmm - four cores

Advertisement