Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Firmware update and channel editing via the software turned out to be a cinch. Thanks folks.

One question - I see Eurobird/Eutelsat mentioned every now and then. Does a standard 60cm dish set up for FTA mean i could get some channels on those satelites, or am i limited to Astra 2A? (would try tuning in myself to see, but i'm doing this setup remotely for parents)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You can receive both astra and eurobird satellites located at 28 deg east.
    Firmware update and channel editing via the software turned out to be a cinch. Thanks folks.

One question - I see Eurobird/Eutelsat mentioned every now and then. Does a standard 60cm dish set up for FTA mean i could get some channels on those satelites, or am i limited to Astra 2A? (would try tuning in myself to see, but i'm doing this setup remotely for parents)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

Best to ask in the foreign satellite section. If your dish only has one LNB then you will be limited to 28.2/5 satellite position. However at 28.2 and 28.5 there are a few satellites, but they all appear as one big one with thousands of channels.
    Here are the names used at present
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_28.2%C2%B0E
    It includes Eutelsat and Astra but these are company names.

The list of channels you should get are here:
    http://www.flysat.com/28east.php

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Tony wrote: »
    You can receive both astra and eurobird satellites located at 28 deg east.

Oh great, thanks. Will run through this with them so. Dare I ask is there any channels on there worth watching that aren't already on Astra 2A, or is it mostly crossover?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭saorviewseeker

Oh great, thanks. Will run through this with them so. Dare I ask is there any channels on there worth watching that aren't already on Astra 2A, or is it mostly crossover?

Have a look here http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/latestnews.htm
    This is a dedicated satellite information service updated daily giving detailed information on satellite/channell changes etc. They also have forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Too lazy to trawl through fifty-odd pages; so apologies in advance for asking something that'ds probably been covered already. Anyhow; to cut a long story short, I've just cancelled my Sky subscription and have switched back to the Ariva. However. My ITV HD is coming up as ''no signal!''. Any tips on how I can re-tune it (in ''idiot-proof'' language!) pretty please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Have a look here http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/latestnews.htm
    This is a dedicated satellite information service updated daily giving detailed information on satellite/channell changes etc. They also have forum.

Thats a great website - thanks 4 sharing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Really happy with the internet Radio on the Ariva 120HD, and thanks again to those who helped me get it running. The new firmware has grown on me too, and I thinks its really great, with several 'subtle' differences to the previous version.
    So my next task is to get the Card reader working, and to see what extra stations it brings in. I was hoping for the Discovery channel, but I have no idea if that's possible or not? So where do I buy a card, and how much are they, etc etc etc . . .
    I found this Youtube clip about the 120 card reader, but I cant understand much of what he's saying :cool:

Card reader clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsTyolMjd2g&feature=player_detailpage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

LordSutch wrote: »
    Really happy with the internet Radio on the Ariva 120HD, and thanks again to those who helped me get it running. The new firmware has grown on me too, and I thinks its really great, with several 'subtle' differences to the previous version.
    So my next task is to get the Card reader working, and to see what extra stations it brings in. I was hoping for the Discovery channel, but I have no idea if that's possible or not? So where do I buy a card, and how much are they, etc etc etc . . .
    I found this Youtube clip about the 120 card reader, but I cant understand much of what he's saying :cool:

Card reader clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsTyolMjd2g&feature=player_detailpage

Yes you can use a Sky subscription card in the box (if it is current) to receive the Sky channels covered by the subscription ....which might include the Discovery channels depending on the subscription.

You can also apply to Setanta for a card (they call it a FTV card) which allows you to receive a few extra channels such as Sony, LFC etc.

Those are your choices while receiving from the Astra satellite, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Daarrgh

Hi Guys,

My Ariva 120 Combo stopped outputting HDMI overnight.
    Any ideas?

I saw a post on this from 2007, but I figured I would see if anybody had some recent experience.

thanks in advance

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

That also happened to my Ariva120 about eight months ago and back then I spent a few hours switching hdmi cables, playing around with the settings, updating firmware etc, all to no avail. I posted about it on this (or the other Ariva120) thread but no one had any ideas.

It works with a scart lead so I just figured it developed a specific hdmi output fault. But I would also be interested if anyone has a solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

HDMI issues.

Make sure the Ariva is only switched on after the TV is switched on.

Its called HDCP (handshaking) and is a common fault with some TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

No joy for me - vaguely remember trying this back when the problem first arose.

Hope it works for Daarrgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try another HDMI TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

blueser wrote: »
    Too lazy to trawl through fifty-odd pages; so apologies in advance for asking something that'ds probably been covered already. Anyhow; to cut a long story short, I've just cancelled my Sky subscription and have switched back to the Ariva. However. My ITV HD is coming up as ''no signal!''. Any tips on how I can re-tune it (in ''idiot-proof'' language!) pretty please?
    Got it sorted earlier this evening. Deleted all my channels and did a new terrestrial and satellite scan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Feck sake.

Just did an upgrade but now all the satellite settings are greyed out under Installation. The terrestrial stuff is okay but I cant do a scan on satellite.

The feed is fine from LNB, plugged it into my Sky and its bang on.

Any ideas?

Edit : Nevermind I had to select Astra 2a under Satellite List.

Hi,

Anyone got any idea why this is happenning. Was doing a new scan over the weekend and as you can see in Pic 1 when I scan on Hotbird my scan starts at the 1st transponder of 130, and on Astra 28 (pic 2) I start on 1 of 150 but on Badr (pic 3) it starts on 32 of 120

So how can I get Badr to start on the 1st transponder please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You won't be getting a signal from all transponders at 26 east, only those on Badr 4.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You won't be getting a signal from all transponders at 26 east, only those on Badr 4.

Thanks Peter - so transponders 1-30 are for Badr 5 and 6?

2nd impressions . . . .

New AriVa logo as the box turns on!

1/ Internet Radio now working - very interesting & I love it :)
    2/ Weather Forecasts work well, but they're total rubbish!
    3/ Channel changes/Menu changes much faster.
    4/ Giant Channel number bottom left of screen,
    blue & green signal strength & quality bars gone.
    5/ Menu changes = very subtle, which I have warmed to.
    7/ Internet Radio SORT button now works fine.
    8/ Blue channel find button now works fine too.
    9/ Possibly the biggest change of all, is that my Buffalo 1tb HDD now records & plays back all HD recoridings faultlessly!

All in all a great review - I love the internet radio stations, the weather forecast option is a quirky option to have, I also like the much
    faster channel changes, but the best news of all is that I can now record and watch HD programmes without a worry > With the previous
    firmware I would always get a message [disc speed too slow] the HD playback would gring to a halt, & the box would turn itself off.

Now I can record what I like in SD or HD which is Brilliant, and I Love it.

10/10 for V2.18b6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

How do you get the internet radio to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

LordSutch wrote: »
    2nd impressions . . . .

New AriVa logo as the box turns on!

3/ Channel changes/Menu changes much faster.
    4/ Giant Channel number bottom left of screen,
    blue & green signal strength & quality bars gone.
    5/ Menu changes = very subtle, which I have warmed to.
    7/ Internet Radio SORT button now works fine.

Can't get internet radio working..or at least not sure how to even try tbh.

Really hate what they have done to the on screen display. they couldn't make it look any cheaper if they tried. The giant channel number looks terrible,. The channel change and info are working much faster, but the overall look of things has gone backward imo.

vkid wrote: »
    Can't get internet radio working..or at least not sure how to even try tbh.

Providing you have the latest Firmware [V2.18B6] its very straight forward. Just connect the back of the Ariva120 to your Broadband Router using an 'ethernet cable' and before you know it you will get a message on the screen saying {STB successfully got IP address} you will then have full access to all the internet radio stations listed + the weather forecast feature. (PS: you must also have a Hard drive/USB stick plugged into the USB socket for the Web radio/weather to work).
    vkid wrote: »
    Really hate what they have done to the on screen display. they couldn't make it look any cheaper if they tried. The giant channel number looks terrible,. The channel change and info are working much faster, but the overall look of things has gone backward imo.

Takes a while to get used to it alright, but I think the positives far outweigh any negatives about the look of the new displays.
    I'm totally thrilled now that I can record and playback HD programmes on my hard drive (the previous firmware wouldnt allow me).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've never understood what use an internet radio function serves on a STB! You can access hundreds of thousands of stations at home using a very basic wif-fi enabled media player.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-Galaxy-S-42andquot-8-GB-Touchscreen-MP3-Player/313463/196.1

Seriously wasteful and full of hassle to be listening to the radio when you need to involve a local area connection and TV in the process =p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The necessity for a flash stick/HDD to be plugged in to get the radio stations is oft-times missed.

@LordSutch (& others of course)

Have you tried connecting to a LAN address?

I wondered if one could set up a LAN player and listen to it by entering the URL ... maybe using VLC to 'broadcast' on the LAN.

I tried this when I first got the 120, but never succeeded.

I haven't updated the firmware for quite a while, but if this is now possible it would encourage me to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bryan23

hi i dont mean to but in but i am just wondering if aney one nos how to get the channels that have the doller sighn on them or how do i pay for some of them if aney one nos and could help that would b grate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bryan23 wrote: »
    hi i dont mean to but in but i am just wondering if aney one nos how to get the channels that have the doller sighn on them or how do i pay for some of them if aney one nos and could help that would b grate

What the hell is with the text speak:eek::mad::rolleyes:

The stations with the dollar signs are Sky subscription channells and you will have to pay Sky to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bryan23

I'm on my phone that's y.

I have sky in one room but have the ariva 120 boxes: n outher rooms is ther a way I could combine my sky with these cheers

What the hell is with the text speak:eek::mad::rolleyes:

The stations with the dollar signs are Sky subscription channells and you will have to pay Sky to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

No offense Bryan but text speak gets a negative reaction here and I think you will get a much better response if you use normal text.

bryan23 wrote: »
    I'm on my phone that's y.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

What the hell is with the text speak

It's not even txt spk, just poor spelling. Some of the words are longer than if spelled properly.

Advertisement