Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Union Salaries

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Conas wrote: »
    I'll say this about rugby players though. They are massively underpayed compared to soccer players who are on 150K week

I wouldn't say that, I'd say soccer players are just overpaid.
    Pay is often based on marketability. Beckham and Keane will shift tens of thousands of shirts in the states and bring media attention and a higher profile to their club, hence their price tags.

Rugby doesn't have that massive infiltration and fan base, so the players value is less.

Regarding injuries, every contract should always have a very good insurance policy included. As is is, without doubt, a risk, especially for developing players.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Denners.ie wrote: »
    Development contracts are €22,000.
    Development Contracts differ. Some on much less than €22K.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Explains all the BOD drop kicks... Money bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

bamboozle wrote: »
    apparently Healy got 100k to endorse Berocca.

Money well spent by Berocca... Healy is having a blinder! I'm surprised they haven't plastered RTE with the ad just the rwc games?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Development Contracts differ. Some on much less than €22K.

Ya sorry there were three categories as such, 22 k was a category one development contract iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Conas wrote: »
    180K over three years aint bad at all. But the only way we'll know for sure what people get is if we hack into the IRFU database. :D

I'll say this about rugby players though. They are massively underpayed compared to soccer players who are on 150K week, and considering the way rugby players put there body on the line you can consider it unfair. Make you sick to think what Tevez gets, and doesn't want to get up off the bench like a spoilt brat, and you look at players like Ian Dowling, and Ian Mckinley who had to retire and will have to make a living with long term permanent injuries.

same reason why actors in fair city earn peanuts compared to the actors on desperete housewives , soccer pulls in huge global audiences , nothing to do with athletic prowess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

irishh_bob wrote: »
    same reason why actors in fair city earn peanuts compared to the actors on desperete housewives , soccer pulls in huge global audiences , nothing to do with athletic prowess

Ah here, there's no need to insult anyone by analogising them to the "actors" in fair city! :pac:

But yeah, the core point is true enough, rugby is watched in a lot fewer countries, and often by many less people in those countries where it is watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

The lads I know on provincial contracts say they get about €2,000 a week, making roughly 100K a year. Nothing about try bonuses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Well I know only one pro rugby player and he is just breaking into the Connaught team he said he is getting 500 a week for Connaught and 100 for every game he plays for his AIL team

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

How do the contracts compare these days?

Also if a player has to retire through injury, what percentage of his salary will he get on an insurance payout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Wrong thread.

Advertisement