Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Union Salaries

Options
  • 27-09-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just wondering does anyone know where i could find out how much rugby players are payed, Ive done a search on google but the likes of ROG & BOD vary from 300 grand to 1 million, trying to build my dream team just need to see how much itll cost me :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

If someone comes up with good stats, I wouldnt mind making an infographic outta the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

No Irish player is on a contract anywhere near €1m salary as far as I know. They might get near that with endorsements, etc, I don't know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A yearly salary of 1m no, maybe 1m over a few years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

100k for a non-international magnets league players, 300-400k for internationals......well that was a few years ago. I heard sexton is on about 700k

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GiftofGab wrote: »
    100k for a non-international magnets league players, 300-400k for internationals......well that was a few years ago. I heard sexton is on about 700k

Really?! That seems enormous for someone who isn't guaranteed a place in the Ireland starting lineup (albeit he likely will be a guaranteed starter in 1/2 seasons).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

I don't think that is accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Like I presumed the likes of ROG, Sexton, BOD, POC would be the top payed players in Ireland, I was just wondering where they compared worldwide, Like Chabal is supposedly on 1.3 million, I presume the likes of Carter, McCaw, Wilkinson would be on good wages but it doesnt really give an accurate account as to how much

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

astonaidan wrote: »
    Like I presumed the likes of ROG, Sexton, BOD, POC would be the top payed players in Ireland, I was just wondering where they compared worldwide, Like Chabal is supposedly on 1.3 million, I presume the likes of Carter, McCaw, Wilkinson would be on good wages but it doesnt really give an accurate account as to how much

Chabal carries huge marketing potential, his image rights would be worth bucketloads. His salary doesn't reflect his playing ability, which is average.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Chabal is one of the highest paid players around and he also plays for a club bank rolled by a very rich man. What he gets paid would not be of any relevance to Irish clubs.

I really doubt Sexton is on 700,000. 3 years ago he wasn't getting his game for Leinster and is still fighting for the starting spot for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

I was under the impression that most of the Irish squad were on 200-300K and then whatever else they made on top of that themselves.

• Advertisement

I heard a couple of years ago that the salary was approx 100K and players got an international cap bonus of around 5K and a win bonus of 8K

I'm not 100% on that now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

You heard wrong. No Irish player is on that or near it. Sexton wouldn't be in the top few Irish earners. He turned down more money abroad to stay with Leinster.

The Kiwis are on good money but not as much as there isn't as much money floating around NZ. But Carter and McCaw make that up in some fairly hefty endorsements which they wouldn't get in Europe. For lesser NZ players, the move to Europe is a healthy boost in income. Sexton wouldn't be in the same bracket as the others in terms of salary but Heaslip is and Hayes was as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

GerM wrote: »
    The Kiwis are on good money but not as much as there isn't as much money floating around NZ. But Carter and McCaw make that up in some fairly hefty endorsements which they wouldn't get in Europe. For lesser NZ players, the move to Europe is a healthy boost in income. Sexton wouldn't be in the same bracket as the others in terms of salary but Heaslip is and Hayes was as far as I'm aware.

+1 , the likes of johny wilkinson ( in his prime ) was probabley on double what the highest earning all black took home including endorsements for advertising everything from steinlager to massey fergusons , new zealand is not a particulary wealthy country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

BOD is probaly the most payed player in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

I remember reading somewhere reputable that BOD was on 450,000 plus endorsements. I will try to dig up the source. I also seem to remember that the figure quoted for endorsements was significantly less than you would think - certainly wasn't bringing him anywhere near the million mark.

This was a couple of years ago however. I am sure that the O2 deal etc was not factored into this.

Conas wrote: »
    BOD is probaly the most payed player in this country.

Hard to say. The top lads all took pay cuts when signing their new contracts this season. If I was to hazard a guess as to who is on the biggest money directly through his contract right now, I think Heaslip would be the one. The older lads have their tax refund to think about and they won't want to walk away now. Heaslip was in a stronger bargaining position than anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Jackman said he was on 150k At his peak. He was pretty much second choice for Ireland for a year or two.

I wasnt talking bout an irish only thing, I was trying to find out who would be the top payed players in the world, If I was to guess id say ROG and BOD would be the top 2 payed Irish players since they are faces of the provinces, Supposedly the new zealand players arent payed that much at all and McCaw and Carter get most of their money from adidas and if they left NZ they would lose money because they werent playing for the AllBlacks

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭MLC61

While O’Driscoll was always likely to stay, the longer negotiations dragged on between the union and Fintan Drury, agent to both Sexton and Heaslip, the more it was feared one or the other, especially Heaslip, might leave.

In the end, the negotiations culminated in both staying put, despite a reported €1.1 million, two-year deal from Stade Francais for Sexton, though Michael Cheika, the ex-Leinster and now Stade coach, said last night: “There is absolutely no way we could be paying that kind of money to any player.”

Racing Metro 92 were one of a number of clubs, not all French, which had expressed an interest in Heaslip, with Racing believed to have offered even bigger sums.

The reasons why the trio have decided to stay are probably fourfold, to varying degrees. First, the IRFU must have come up with a financial package that came closer to matching their current valuation. This is especially so on the French market where wealthy private benefactors, such as Racing president Jacky Lorenzetti, who heads giant real estate company Foncia, and Toulon benefactor Mourad Boudjellal, who made his fortune in the comic strip business, can operate without the restrictive salary cap that exists in England.

Given the money on offer, it is likely Heaslip has signed an improved deal in the ballpark of €400,000-€500,000 per year with incentives (such as his number of Test appearances per season), with Sexton perhaps in the region of €350,000-€400,000 including incentives.

O’Driscoll, who turned 32 a fortnight ago, most likely accepted a reduction in his basic package to remain with Leinster until the end of the 2012-13 season, by which stage he will be 34.

Article by Gerry Thornley in Irish Times in February.

• Advertisement

Remember with the Kiwi's that £250,000 GBP is equal to nearly $500,000 NZ Dollars. It used to be a hell of a lot more too. So if you're on a good wage in New Zealand you can still go to England and pretty much double it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

IIRC Sexton was being offered in the region of 700,000 by Toulouse, but took lower pay to stay at Leinster. That's probably the origin of that figure. I'd be surprised if he;s on any more than half of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I wasnt talking bout an irish only thing, I was trying to find out who would be the top payed players in the world, If I was to guess id say ROG and BOD would be the top 2 payed Irish players since they are faces of the provinces, Supposedly the new zealand players arent payed that much at all and McCaw and Carter get most of their money from adidas and if they left NZ they would lose money because they werent playing for the AllBlacks

they ( mc caw and carter ) are household celebritys in new zealand , they couldnt sell shampoo or sunglasses in the uk or europe so would be completley reliant on rugby for earnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

tolosenc wrote: »
    IIRC Sexton was being offered in the region of 700,000 by Toulouse, but took lower pay to stay at Leinster. That's probably the origin of that figure. I'd be surprised if he;s on any more than half of that.

Wow. If that's true then imo he was nuts not to take it for a season or two.

irishh_bob wrote: »
    they ( mc caw and carter ) are household celebritys in new zealand , they couldnt sell shampoo or sunglasses in the uk or europe so would be completley reliant on rugby for earnings

Thats what i was saying they lose endorsements so theyd have to be relying on rugby contracts, Im nealry sure they have something like 200grand contracts with the allblacks which is nothing compared to their endorsment contracts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I read that Rob Kearney gets about 250k for playing, I'd say that's fairly standard across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

I read that Rob Kearney gets about 250k for playing, I'd say that's fairly standard across the board.

Mr Kearney isn't doing to bad at all given the 269 sqm house he's currently having knocked up for himself in Ranelagh.

As far as I read a few years back most of the players will play for one of the provinces for less money than they can earn abroad because they get to play much less games and get a batter crack at trophies etc. Playing less games prolongs their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

How much you reckon ROG is getting from Newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

But there is also the fact that they would get very few sponsorship opportunities abroad. Rob Kearney has earned significant cash to be filmed eating a Nutri grain bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

from what was reported in the last round of contract negoiations i.e. Heaslip and Sexton

Heaslip is the best paid irish player on approx 500k
    Sexton is on 400k i think his contract was for 2 years and worth 1 million including bonus
    BOD took a paycut to about 300k

in contrast in france i was dating a good friend of Sonny B and he was offered 2 million a season to stay at toulan but chose the NZ and i think is on 700k NZD a year but is allowed to continue boxing

Advertisement