Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby Union Salaries

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

magotch07 wrote: »
    from what was reported in the last round of contract negoiations i.e. Heaslip and Sexton

Heaslip is the best paid irish player on approx 500k
    Sexton is on 400k i think his contract was for 2 years and worth 1 million including bonus
    BOD took a paycut to about 300k

in contrast in france i was dating a good friend of Sonny B and he was offered 2 million a season to stay at toulan but chose the NZ and i think is on 700k NZD a year but is allowed to continue boxing

Toulon seem flush with money and are an exception like Chelsea or Man city in soccer.
    You also have to consider

1. You are picking less than ten names who all play at top international level and not the 200 or so who play at proverince or professional club level.

2. They have to retire in their mid thirties aty best and ~ find a job! Only a very few top known publically guys ( who have a flair for talking or writing) will find a media job.

3. suppose you have to pay a full pension into a fund in fifteen years of work instead of 40 years. the contributions would be HUGE!

4. On the plus side they get tax writeoffs for pensions and for income tax.

i would recon the average ( take a figure above which 50% of prefessionals do not get paid) is about 40 to 50k which is an average industrial wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

danthefan wrote: »
    Wow. If that's true then imo he was nuts not to take it for a season or two.

Maybe playing for Leinster/Ireland means much more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Thud

is there a sports tax exemption like the artists exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Thud wrote: »
    is there a sports tax exemption like the artists exemption?

I don't think so, but there is some clause whereby if the likes of BOD or ROG finish their career in Ireland, then they get a certain amount of tax refunded. So that way it is in their interest to stay in Ireland for a lower salary than they might get abroad, as they would need to earn significantly more there to match it in the long run. I can't remember the exact details to quantify it though, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Certain sports person are entitled to tax retirement relief on certain income they have earned whilst playing sports professionally.

Sportsperson’s are entitled to relief on 40% of there income earned from the sport.
    They can pick out the best 10 years of earnings derived from sports.
    The relief can be offset against Total Income earned in the 10 years of assessment.
    You can back-date to 1990/91

Conditions:
    Sportsperson must be permanently retired from the Sport concerned.
    If the person resumes the sporting activity the relief will be withdrawn by making an assessment for Income Tax under Case IV of Schedule D for the year of assessment.
    Income from Sponsorship or Image rights cannot be counted.

* Source - http://www.gerardkiernan.ie/Sportsperson_Relief.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

from what was reported in the last round of contract negoiations i.e. Heaslip and Sexton

Heaslip is the best paid irish player on approx 500k
    Sexton is on 400k i think his contract was for 2 years and worth 1 million including bonus
    BOD took a paycut to about 300k
    Figures have not been made public. Any amounts read are just speculation. Players' salaries, quite rightly, are private matters.
    in contrast in france i was dating a good friend of Sonny B and he was offered 2 million a season to stay at toulan but chose the NZ and i think is on 700k NZD a year but is allowed to continue boxing
    Toulon is a privately-owned organisation. Monsieur Eccentrique can throw any amount of cash he wants at a player. Hence Toulon's comparitive lack of contribution to the French national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Thud wrote: »
    How much you reckon ROG is getting from Newbridge?

30 pieces of silver sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i'd say the magner's league lads earn between 60-100k per season.
    lads on development around 30-40k.
    Centrally contracted players 200-450k per season.
    there'd then be match fees, win bonuses and endorsements, apparently Healy got 100k to endorse Berocca.

salaries aside a major factor for the professional rugby players is the tax rebate they receive upon retirement, 40% of tax back on the income tax earned from playing (not endorsements) for their 10 highest earning years in rugby.

so if player A was on an average of 225k a year over 10 years, lets say that equates to 900k in income tax paid over the 10 years, 40% rebate would be 360k

i'm sure there's a bit of hello money knocking about also for lads to open shops, pubs, nightclubs etc (well the pubs and nightclubs that Sean Og hasnt already got the gig for!)

prospect wrote: »
    Certain sports person are entitled to tax retirement relief on certain income they have earned whilst playing sports professionally.

Sportsperson’s are entitled to relief on 40% of there income earned from the sport.
    They can pick out the best 10 years of earnings derived from sports.
    The relief can be offset against Total Income earned in the 10 years of assessment.
    You can back-date to 1990/91

Conditions:
    Sportsperson must be permanently retired from the Sport concerned.
    If the person resumes the sporting activity the relief will be withdrawn by making an assessment for Income Tax under Case IV of Schedule D for the year of assessment.
    Income from Sponsorship or Image rights cannot be counted.

* Source - http://www.gerardkiernan.ie/Sportsperson_Relief.html

I thought it was 40% relief on income tax paid during their highest 10 years of earning? could be wrong though

Great mini-documentary here about life as a professional rugby player. John Muldoon would be an excellent example of a typical Irish pro I'd imagine.

Muldoon @ 08:15

"Average non-international close to 100k
    Top internationals 300-400k"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

bamboozle wrote: »
    I thought it was 40% relief on income tax paid during their highest 10 years of earning? could be wrong though

Yeah this is correct, 40% of 10 years worth of income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Glass ceiling in Connacht is about 100k. Probably being paid to likes of Muldoon, O'Connor, Duffy. Others would be below that. George Naoupu may be on a small bit more than 100k, marquee signing.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Figures have not been made public. Any amounts read are just speculation. Players' salaries, quite rightly, are private matters.

but you could tell us if we were close with our guesses right?? ;)

heard recently about a 19 year old out of school being offered 350 match fee from an AIL club.

Also heard last season of an AIL player being on 180k over 3 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

there'd then be match fees, win bonuses and endorsements, apparently Healy got 100k to endorse Berocca.

Sweet j*sus! Source?? That is a staggering amount of money!

Sweet j*sus! Source??

Bloke down the pub? His sister's husband's best mate's plumber was once on a bus at the same time as this fella who heard from another bloke down the pub who knew a barman that served someone from the same country as someone else who had once flown over Clontarf on a Ryanair flight that took off from a European city that Cian Healy had once taken a holiday in.

:D

JustinDee wrote: »
    Bloke down the pub? His sister's husband's best mate's plumber was once on a bus at the same time as this fella who heard from another bloke down the pub who knew a barman that served someone from the same country as someone else who had once flown over Clontarf on a Ryanair flight that took off from a European city that Cian Healy had once taken a holiday in.

:D

do you ever get tired pontificating on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

heard recently about a 19 year old out of school being offered 350 match fee from an AIL club.

Also heard last season of an AIL player being on 180k over 3 seasons.

Just to play AIL? that would surprise me given how most AIL clubs are just scrapping by and not exactly getting big crowds these days.

I think the Development contracts are very small closer to the €20k mark and you earn more through appearances and win bonuses.

do you ever get tired pontificating on here?

Oh relax.
    It was a joke. Hence the little smiling thingy at end of post.

But since you want to talk all serious etc, do elaborate as somebody else has asked where you heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Development contracts are €22,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Denners.ie wrote: »
    Development contracts are €22,000.

Heard this also. Know one or two heads who's gone from academy players to current first selection at Leinster who've said the amount of money they make depends on the number of games they play.

Bonuses for:

Appearance (Start/Bench)
    Try Scorer
    Winning Score
    Bonus Point Score
    Drop Goal/Penalty
    Winning DG/Pen etc etc.

Multipliers for HC.

Bucket loads of perks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Would that form of recompense not encourage players ill suited to kicking drop goals to attempt drop goals rather than putting the head down and gaining a few yards for the outhalf to get in position?

Heard this also. Know one or two heads who's gone from academy players to current first selection at Leinster who've said the amount of money they make depends on the number of games they play.

Bonuses for:

Appearance (Start/Bench)
    Try Scorer
    Winning Score
    Bonus Point Score
    Drop Goal/Penalty
    Winning DG/Pen etc etc.

Multipliers for HC.

now we'll know why academy props start taking drop goal attempts from the back of rucks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Would that form of recompense not encourage players ill suited to kicking drop goals to attempt drop goals rather than putting the head down and gaining a few yards for the outhalf to get in position?

Nope, because if they are missing silly attempts all the time they'll lessen their chances of being picked for future games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Yes was thinking that, manager will easily spot that kinda play.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Bonuses for:

Appearance (Start/Bench)
    Try Scorer
    Winning Score
    Bonus Point Score
    Drop Goal/Penalty
    Winning DG/Pen etc etc.

Multipliers for HC.

There wasn't any bonuses with Munster development but not sure about lads who played for Ireland 20's or got a few Magners games, I'm sure they would get extra incentives somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Bonuses for:

Appearance (Start/Bench)
    Try Scorer
    Winning Score
    Bonus Point Score
    Drop Goal/Penalty
    Winning DG/Pen etc etc.

Multipliers for HC.

Im sure there is, Can think of a few right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Bonuses for:

Appearance (Start/Bench)
    Try Scorer
    Winning Score
    Bonus Point Score
    Drop Goal/Penalty
    Winning DG/Pen etc etc.

Multipliers for HC.

I would be seriously surprised if there were bonuses for the above given only certain players are likely to get drop goals/penos plus he would not help the TEAM ethic for example if for example a player has a 2 on 1 and goes for the try because he has a chance of earning a bonus rather then making sure of scoring the try.

From what I know players get bonuses for making match day squad, not sure if they get more if they play and also get a bonus if the team wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I would be seriously surprised if there were bonuses for the above given only certain players are likely to get drop goals/penos plus he would not help the TEAM ethic for example if for example a player has a 2 on 1 and goes for the try because he has a chance of earning a bonus rather then making sure of scoring the try.

From what I know players get bonuses for making match day squad, not sure if they get more if they play and also get a bonus if the team wins.

To be fair, if I was a player, I'd be more worried about getting murdered in the video session the following week for butchering a 2 on 1 for the sake of some extra green in the skyrocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

180K over three years aint bad at all. But the only way we'll know for sure what people get is if we hack into the IRFU database. :D

I'll say this about rugby players though. They are massively underpayed compared to soccer players who are on 150K week, and considering the way rugby players put there body on the line you can consider it unfair. Make you sick to think what Tevez gets, and doesn't want to get up off the bench like a spoilt brat, and you look at players like Ian Dowling, and Ian Mckinley who had to retire and will have to make a living with long term permanent injuries.

Advertisement