Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Everyone should be using Brave and ProtonMail (basic version is free).

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭cobham

locked out of youtube again....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

That Protonmail looks impressive. Can anyone tell me what is a ‘custom email domain’ means??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

It means you can make up your own suffix after the @ symbol. So boardsuser@internetn00b.com for example :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

In Brave - Settings, be sure to switch off ALL the superfluous options. There are a fair few...

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Another problem with the new laptop. I am using Windows 11, Bravo and sometimes Chrome. Fairly frequently the window I am on becomes bigger as I move the curser. I cannot figure out exactly what is causing it, it seems very random and I cannot see how to make it smaller again. If I am quick enough to bring the curser back (ie, I have swiped right and immediately swipe left) it can reduce again, but if I have released the curser I cannot get it to go smaller. It does not seem to relate to the Zoom function - that will still say 100%. I usually end up closing the window and starting again. I have switched off the Magnifier function. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

If you put 2 fingers on the touchpad and spread them apart, it will zoom in on the screen,

if you put 2 spread fingers on the touchpad and snap them together it will zoom out

Its a feature added copying smart phones

You need be careful to only let 1 finger touch the touchpad, and keep it dry as 1wet finger this can be confused with 2 fingers

This feature can be turned off in settings devices touchpad, zoom

Or use a wireless mouse

Oh thank you! Never occurred to me that it was working like the phone, I thought it was the curser! Brilliant!

Now I know how to control it it could be useful.

Edit - its partly because the touch pad is just one pad on this machine, rather than having three parts, and I am still getting used to where it can or cannot be touched/clicked to make it work.

A logitech wireless mouse really puts you in control

But you will have to sit at a desk

• Advertisement

I used to use one of those and it was great, but now I am just browsing with the laptop on my lap, I will get used to the new vagaries of W11!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭jj880

Windows 7 was excellent. Microsoft are always tinkering with stuff that doesnt need changed.

My father went from Win 7 to a Win 11 laptop and its a major pain in the ass. He will get used to it eventually.

For anyone who is 24/7 tech support for the elderly I recommend VNC Viewer and VNC Server. Saved us in lock down and have been using ever since. Really great remote desktop software. You can also use the app on your phone to remote into a PC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I use TeamViewer to help my dad with computer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What does teamviewer do in relation to PC problems? Allow someone to access the device remotely?

Yes, complete control to anyone who has your id and password,

It means that their keyboard mouse and screen is now controlling and viewing your computer

Anydesk is the same, but takes a little bit more to get it working

Vnc is the same but takes a hell of a lot more work to set it up

People can remover or install programs and drivers, and make tweaks like adding bookmarks and shortcuts to sites or programs,

Its no use for internet problems :)

Unless VNC has changed recently it was simple enough to set up.

Team Viewer looks to have a lot more features like a ticket system, meetings etc.

VNC is a free no frills remote control setup. Very handy if that's all you require.

😆 yeah not much use if the internet / broadband is down as you obviously cant remote into the device on that network.

Vnc requires

1 Access through windows firewall

2 port forwarding

3 And either....

A static ip

A no-ip account and program running on a computer

Or

A user who can tell you his current internet ip

Teamviewer once installed just needs to be clicked on and the numbers readout

OK. No one who needs to ask for help here should EVER install Teamviewer.

Just don't do it and certainly never instal it for a random "helper"

Yes. So I can ask my Dad to share his screen, which I can view, and also control the mouse.

TeamViewer needs to installed on both computers, and it is free to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I just use the windows built in one - ‘quick assist’ I think it is

I had not heard of it. Just launched it now, but getting a black screen.

I have tried Quick assist and it was very limited, you can help the user fix it, but you cant change anything, it lets you see the screen and point like a laser pointer where you want them to click, but you couldnt click anything

But very good point....never give teamvier id and password to someone you dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just bought a cable like this online, to connect some loose HDDs I have to my laptop.

Thing is, when I connect it, the 3.5" hdds I have don't spin. Is it possible that it doesn't have enough power? It is getting power itself as it has a green light on the case.

I have no 2.5" drives to test it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

jaysus, never seen a yoke like it. Does it not need a caddy to work right?

Ok thats definitely changed. There was none of that when we installed at start of lockdown.

There was 1 email / password sign up to use on both the viewer software and server software. Then a password for each PC included in the "team".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I used a USB to SATA cable to connect to a loose internal HDD before, worked just fine with no tinkering needed.

Could USB version be an issue I wonder....

Yes more power needed. For 3.5 HDD there are cables that look the same as your pic but with an AC plug input on it for the extra power. I have 1. They work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yeah, that won't work on 3.5" disks, it's usually limited to around 0.5A to 1A, and that's not enough to spin-up a bigger disk. You could try a double power adapter and that might provide the needed power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,625 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You can't power 3.5" desktop drives from a USB port. They need a AC adapter plugged into the wall.

Whereas 2.5" are are laptop drives and can mostly be powered from USB.

I say mostly as there about a zillion types of USB ports (might be exaggerating).

Advertisement