Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Also, don't install games on the OS drive (normally C: ) the install app should let you choose a different location - probably a D: drive in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Steve wrote: »
    Also, don't install games on the OS drive (normally C: ) the install app should let you choose a different location - probably a D: drive in your case.

I'll try that in the morning.

As it looks like the games are all on main drive now, how could I easily put them in the second drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'll try that in the morning.

As it looks like the games are all on main drive now, how could I easily put them in the second drive?

Very easy. Just create a folder in your D: drive called Games, then every time you buy a game, when it asks where to install to choose that folder.

If you're using multiple platforms like me you can create subfolders in that Games folder for Steam, Origin, Epic, Uplay etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Guys... my wife has 3500(yes 3500) photos on her IPhone 8.

How can I copy / backup same to a pc. I tried within Windows to do s within Photos but it crashes after around 35 photos.....

Any other options for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Masala wrote:

Masala wrote:
    How can I copy / backup same to a pc. I tried within Windows to do s within Photos but it crashes after around 35 photos.....

USB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Masala wrote: »

Any other options for me

Easiest way is to login to her icloud on desktop and download from there on desktop.

If you want something easier/more user friendly install google photos on her phone, sync, and then use that same login on windows and download from there.

You're gonna experience a lot of crashes using apples own software and a lead to download them so I'd recommend any of the above cloud solutions. You're basically installing an app on the phone, syncing and then you wait for them all to upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Easiest way is to login to her icloud on desktop and download from there on desktop.

If you want something easier/more user friendly install google photos on her phone, sync, and then use that same login on windows and download from there.

You're gonna experience a lot of crashes using apples own software and a lead to download them so I'd recommend any of the above cloud solutions. You're basically installing an app on the phone, syncing and then you wait for them all to upload.
    Jaysus, 4mb a pic maybe, take awhile....why is it crashing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

On a related issue, can you stop whatsapp flotsam getting added to your photos / videos on iphone??

On a related issue, can you stop whatsapp flotsam getting added to your photos / videos on iphone??
    I googled that and got nothing?

I mean, anytime you get sent a whatsapp photo or video, it get's automatically added to "my photos" on iphone / icloud and takes up heaps of space.

• Advertisement

I mean, anytime you get sent a whatsapp photo or video, it get's automatically added to "my photos" on iphone / icloud and takes up heaps of space.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/294372/needs-2nd-section-how-to-stop-whatsapp-auto-saving-images/

super

Question re: hooking laptop up to an external monitor.

What setting do I use that allows me to close my laptop lid completely but have the power stay on so I can continue to work on the attached monitor?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Assuming you're using Windows 10, go to Settings> Al control panel items > Power Options > System Settings > Define power buttons and turn on password protection,.

If you can't find it, click on the windows button on your keyboard or your screen, and just type lid.

Got another one.

In the past I set up the OHs work laptop to backup files to a memory stick.
    First back up done fine, but the stick it backed up to is only a 32gb one, and its showing 0 free space.

When I plug it in now, I would guess it will eventually say there isn't enough room to backup new files?

But I tried to change it and back up all the file history to another drive, but any other drive I attached isn't allowed, it keeps saying it wants the original drive used to proceed.

Any ideas?

Question re: hooking laptop up to an external monitor.

What setting do I use that allows me to close my laptop lid completely but have the power stay on so I can continue to work on the attached monitor?

In search "closing the lid"

512280.png

Change lid option to "Do Nothing"

512281.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Long time lurker, first time poster.

If I am creating a table on a Word Document how do I "turn" the writing sideways. Eg: if my first section of table is 'September', how can I turn that so as it is written from top to bottom of the box rather than left to right?

Right click in the cell - Select 'Text Direction' from the displayed menu,

Got another one.

In the past I set up the OHs work laptop to backup files to a memory stick.
    First back up done fine, but the stick it backed up to is only a 32gb one, and its showing 0 free space.

When I plug it in now, I would guess it will eventually say there isn't enough room to backup new files?

But I tried to change it and back up all the file history to another drive, but any other drive I attached isn't allowed, it keeps saying it wants the original drive used to proceed.

Any ideas?

Hard to read this.

What sort of files? Normal documents? How are you doing back up? What are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I would say it is trying to add another volume to follow the full one. If you put the first (full) one in, it will probably do some housekeeping then ask for the next volume.

Not your ornery onager

FFVII wrote: »
    Hard to read this.

What sort of files? Normal documents? How are you doing back up? What are you using?

It's a Windows 8 laptop.

On the security settings within windows on the control panel:
    - update and security
    - backup

- add a drive
    - backup

I did the initial backup in Oct, but it would appear it stays switched on, so when you put the backup stick back in, I am assuming it backs up any new files you created since your last backup.

It's just that it's full now and won't seem to let me add a new drive.

I'll get another look as mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can I use google photos to upload pics to Boards? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

looksee wrote: »
    Can I use google photos to upload pics to Boards? Thanks in advance!

Only as a cliclable link it seems.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMgiwXmPxmnvNKIA5mTNmRLEPQdsqFYd8OImjNw

No actually you cannot as it asks you to log in if you click that link :(

Edit 2: actually you can if you click on the share tab in the photo and chose "create a link"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/orMNx7DQqZrPGGoD8

Easier to "save image" and attach in the "go advanced" post reply option. You can then [img][/img] the boards generated link

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Easier to "save image" and attach in the "go advanced" post reply option. You can then [img][/img] the boards generated link

But you have to have the image stashed somewhere accessible to start with? Anyway I just found Postimage.org which was the quickest thing I have ever signed into and used! Job done!

Thanks all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,032 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

But you have to have the image stashed somewhere accessible to start with? Anyway I just found Postimage.org which was the quickest thing I have ever signed into and used! Job done!

Thanks all.

imgBB is just as quick... you can set it so you get the forum hotlink straight away

only difference is one click to upload to confirm no deletion, which postimage selects as standard

https://imgur.com/upload

Don't need an account.

Thanks all.

Your own computer and use the upload function in message reply

513000.PNG

513001.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Only some forums allow attachments, afaik.

Advertisement