Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So I was doing a bit of a clear out of old music files and deleted a lot. However Im stuck with 3 that the system says cant be deleted because the file name / title is too long.

These MP3 files are in a folder and this is where I get the error message when I try to delete it. When I go into the folder and right click on any of the 3 files I dont have any options for deleting them

Any way of getting rid of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭wiz569

muffler wrote: »
    So I was doing a bit of a clear out of old music files and deleted a lot. However Im stuck with 3 that the system says cant be deleted because the file name / title is too long.

These MP3 files are in a folder and this is where I get the error message when I try to delete it. When I go into the folder and right click on any of the 3 files I dont have any options for deleting them

Sorry if this sounds stupid but did you try right clicking and then Rename...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Another silly question if I may please?
    You know the way you can use the down button to go down in the columns, is there way way I can do this to go down the line numbers, I usually have to use the mouse to select the line number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

enfield wrote: »
    Another silly question if I may please?
    You know the way you can use the down button to go down in the columns, is there way way I can do this to go down the line numbers, I usually have to use the mouse to select the line number.

Ctrl + G will open up the “Go” box, and then you can just pick a line number! :)

Oh - these guys can be a pain. Windows has a file path + name limit of 260 characters , after which it freaks out a bit.

Do you have 7zip installed? It’s Freeware and can delete these fellas.

• Advertisement

Thank you Snowy when I do the CTRL G thing it says the reference isn't valid. Sorry.

Thank you Snowy when I do the CTRL G thing it says the reference isn't valid. Sorry.

Ah - my bad. So, when you hit Ctrl + G, you need to put in the full cell reference (so, instead of putting in 157, you would need to put in A157 - so Excel knows both the column and the row which you are looking for). That will do it for ya!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I open a excel worksheet. In this sheet I will put the info from some counties. I go to the first which is Kilkenny. I click on the top left box and this selects all, or I click on the last line in Kilkenny then bring it up to the first line, this selects the lines I was to use.. I click CTRL c, go to the new worksheet, click into the first box in the first line and press CTRL V and this pastes all the info into the worksheet. I then select the second county, let us say it is, Galway, and select and copy using the same procedure. I click on the first box of the last line in the worksheet and press CTRL V which pastes it into the worksheet. I continue using this procedure until there are about 7 counties in the worksheet.
    I then click the top right box which selects everything. I then click Home, Sort and Filter, Custom sort, and select the sort method that suits by adding whatever levels I need and sort.
    Then I save and close the worksheet. Next time I open it any line with (Kilkenny). in it is not there. But ones with (Kilkenny, Limerick). etc will be. No spaces in front of (Kilkenny).

Sorry for the long explanation but that it the method used.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Are there any blank spaces? Have you tried right-clicking and selecting "paste special - values", in case there are formulas that go wonky when you paste them? Are the files you're getting the data from in the same format/excel version as the destination file? Have you tried saving the file after each addition, then closing it and reopening it before sorting it, to see if it makes a difference?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can you cut and paste them somewhere else and delete them from the new location? You could also try to change their extension from mp3 to txt, for instance. Are the files properties saying "read only"? You could also try to overwrite them with dummy empty mp3 files, then rename them. It might just work.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Sorry if this sounds stupid but did you try right clicking and then Rename...
    SnowyMay wrote: »
    Oh - these guys can be a pain. Windows has a file path + name limit of 260 characters , after which it freaks out a bit.

Do you have 7zip installed? It’s Freeware and can delete these fellas.
    New Home wrote: »
    Can you cut and paste them somewhere else and delete them from the new location? You could also try to change their extension from mp3 to txt, for instance. Are the files properties saying "read only"? You could also try to overwrite them with dummy empty mp3 files, then rename them. It might just work.
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The 5 options I have when right clicking on any of the 3 files are ... Play, Add to Windows media player list, Open with ->, Pin to start menu and send to ->. But before finishing the reply here I went back to the folder, renamed it as "A" and I was then able to delete it.

Strange that I could delete the folder including the contents that way but not the contents on their own. Im not into the tech side of things so much but Im sure that I tried deleting the folder before now and it obviously didnt work.

I have the 7-Zip installed but havent a clue what to do with it but thankfully wont need it now ... well, until the next time ;)

Thanks again folks.

• Advertisement

Excellent, thank you very much indeed Snowy Owl.
    Kindest regards.
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

AThe 5 options I have when right clicking on any of the 3 files are ... Play, Add to Windows media player list, Open with ->, Pin to start menu and send to...

A tip if you want in the future .... select a file and press F2 and you can rename a file. Might be an option if right-click options dont allow a rename.

Glad you got sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Help! I have a problem with my laptop. The screen keeps going black - sometimes flickering, sometimes just going black for 15, 30 seconds. I kind of have the impression that the computer continues to work - I am typing and it is accepting the type even as it flashes. When it comes back on the page that is open is slightly to one side and there is a pattern of dashes and arrows down the left hand side of the screen, which disappears and the page goes back to the right place after a couple of seconds.

It just occurs to me to close the web and open a document and see does it do the same. Meantime, any suggestions please?

I have just moved to Firefox and it appears to be stable, so it must be a Chrome issue. I had another (*%xxx^*) windows update a couple of days ago and there does seem to be a time connection there. I will just stick with Firefox for the moment.

I wonder is it connected to the fact that Google was down...

I finally sorted it, thank you. It was apparently a known issue relating to Chrome and extensions. I switched off all the extensions and it sorted itself. I am in the process of switching them back on again till I find out which was a problem.

I have just created a Word document in word 2007 and I cannot get it to load into an email. It loads about 10 or 20% then gives up. I have tried all the variations I can think of, including PDF. I tried xps and Microsoft told me that 07 is not supported and could they sell me something up to date. I have little use for it so I am reluctant to bother.

Is this Microsoft being contrary and not loading my document (gmail), or is it more likely that the document is corrupted and I should re-build it? Or any other solutions please? I need to send this thing off! I could put the text in an email and send numbered pics as attachments, but that is a messy solution.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit, its a 3,500k doc in Word and 1,600k in PDF.

Are you trying to copy the wording into an email or sending it as an attachment?

Have you tried using another (non gmail) email account?

looksee wrote: »
    I have just created a Word document in word 2007 and I cannot get it to load into an email. It loads about 10 or 20% then gives up. I have tried all the variations I can think of, including PDF. I tried xps and Microsoft told me that 07 is not supported and could they sell me something up to date. I have little use for it so I am reluctant to bother.

Is this Microsoft being contrary and not loading my document (gmail), or is it more likely that the document is corrupted and I should re-build it? Or any other solutions please? I need to send this thing off! I could put the text in an email and send numbered pics as attachments, but that is a messy solution.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit, its a 3,500k doc in Word and 1,600k in PDF.

Maybe try zipping it up first? Sorry if you already have :)

Thanks for your replies - Muffler, I am trying to attatch it. I only have one email account (since I gave up on Eir, and anyway they lost my Hotmail and yahoo accounts years ago :D ) I could try creating another account.

Wiz569, No I hadn't tried zipping it, I am way out of touch with all this stuff, forgot about zipping, though I don't see an option to zip it in Word? Used to use zipping on a regular basis but that was on a Mac...

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »

Wiz569, No I hadn't tried zipping it, I am way out of touch with all this stuff, forgot about zipping, though I don't see an option to zip it in Word? Used to use zipping on a regular basis but that was on a Mac...

You will have to zip the files outside of Word and then attach them to the email,

It should be straightforward to use windows built in zip option but I personally use 7-zip.

That said imo it should allow you to attach them as is so not sure what the problem is there :(

Sorry folks, false alarm, it was my very dodgy internet, loaded and gone. Thanks for your help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

Ive used a computer for work for the last number of years and Ive a technical qualification from 45 odd years back when personal computers were little used. Anything I know - formatting, typing up and editing reports and docs in Word and a doing a tiny bit of Excel, Ive taught myself.
    My major problem is saving, organising and finding stuff - documents and photographs and scans.
    When I click on File Explorer and look at the Navigation Panel (I only discovered these terms today) I see Quick Access, One Drive and This PC with a plethora of things like Documents, Downloads, Desktop and Pictures and more. Are these just repeats or are different documents held in each one. 'Desktop', the term really throws me. For a long time I thought Desktop and Laptop were the same thing!
    Is part of/the major problem that I dont know how to use Windows?? Even though im touching 70 Im not going to let this defeat me.
    All/any suggestions welcomed and apology for the long 'spiel'.:D

BTW re original post Im using Windows 10 and its a fairly 'good' laptop. I bought it thinking I might learn Autocad and then Revit!!! lol :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭sundodger5

PMBC wrote: »
    BTW re original post Im using Windows 10 and its a fairly 'good' laptop. I bought it thinking I might learn Autocad and then Revit!!! lol :D:D

Ok, so desktop refers to the main thing you see when on your computer. Usually with shortcuts to programs and the recycle bin.
    It is not referring to a desktop style computer.
    I think you are looking at duplicates as the ones at the top are quick access and should have a little pin icon beside them. In other words windows keeps the most common stuff used at the top of the list. Documents downloads etc.

PMBC, you have my total sympathy. I am in the same age group as yourself (a bit ahead actually) and this is my problem exactly.

I used a Mac for several years starting about 25 years ago and taught myself Photoshop, Illustrator and - with a bit of starting help, Quark Express, which is a lovely but complex program. Plus the other odds and ends like Acrobat. Filing things was easy peasy, you developed your own system by just pushing things around into systems that suited you. You knew the system so stuff was easy to find. Then after about 8 years or so I was obliged to go over to Windows to teach Photoshop on Windows machines. Not a big deal in itself, but still, after years of using Windows, I can lose stuff and have no idea where to look for it! Windows is clunky, and I usually find stuff more by good luck than good management. Having some stuff in Dropbox doesn't help either :) I am improving but I don't find it intuitive.

Microsoft Word is a horrible programme, but I no longer have Quark so I occasionally fight with it.

This is more of a fulmination than anything helpful, I can only wish you luck, I certainly don't have anything to teach you :D

Edit, Desktop is easy, if you save something to desktop it will be there, as has been said, visible when you open your computer. It can be handy if you are doing something very temporarily but not a good idea to save stuff to desktop, it messes with memory and the speed at which your computer will open. I just keep a Notepad page on desktop for throwing in things I need to remember on a short term basis.

Thanks sundodger.
    Ditto looksee. Its heartening to know Im not alone. I did manage to learn Autocad 2D and with the tutors help pass the C&G exam. So there is hope. I even started to learn Revit but didnt make much progress. I used Dummies for learning Word and am planning to do the same for Excel. I bought my first PC about 1996 and my oldest learned MS DOS, some from me, then on is own. He can now solve most problems but work keeps him very busy. My youngest is ok but doesnt have the patience - he wants to do it for me rather than show me how!!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

PMBC wrote: »
    Ive used a computer for work for the last number of years and Ive a technical qualification from 45 odd years back when personal computers were little used. Anything I know - formatting, typing up and editing reports and docs in Word and a doing a tiny bit of Excel, Ive taught myself.
    My major problem is saving, organising and finding stuff - documents and photographs and scans.
    When I click on File Explorer and look at the Navigation Panel (I only discovered these terms today) I see Quick Access, One Drive and This PC with a plethora of things like Documents, Downloads, Desktop and Pictures and more. Are these just repeats or are different documents held in each one. 'Desktop', the term really throws me. For a long time I thought Desktop and Laptop were the same thing!
    Is part of/the major problem that I dont know how to use Windows?? Even though im touching 70 Im not going to let this defeat me.
    All/any suggestions welcomed and apology for the long 'spiel'.:D

I have used MSWord and Excel for many years. When I create a document I file it in the relevant folder. I create folders in Documents for whatever I need, i.e. Gas Bills, Insurance, etc., etc. I give every document, photograph and scan a title and then 'save as' the title, in the relevant folder. If I can't find a document then I use the search box on the top of right of the screen. Sorry I can't give better information, but I really never lose anything on my computer. The trick is to use the computer as if it is a filing cabinet, remember those? :-D

I know I need to 'put in the hard work' to develop some familiarity. Now I've started reading this thread from the beginning. So far Ive learned to use AltGr key with 4$ to type €. For the last few years I've been using E!!
    From such small steps .....etc.
    Thanks to the OP for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Desktop & Laptop - refer to 2 physical devices - either:
    - a physical Desktop Computer with a separate "Computer Box" and Monitor OR
    - to a Laptop which is the compact all-in-one device.

The term Desktop in this case is used because it is a large cumbersome machine that cannot be moved easily and is normally situated on or at a desk.
    A Laptop is more portable and can be rested on ones lap while working.

When you are logged into either a physical Desktop Computer OR Laptop machine and you look at File Explorer you will see the term "Desktop" -
    This refers to the Desktop Workspace that you see when you log into Windows. This is what you see when you log into Windows with nothing else open.

The Desktop "Workspace" exists on any Windows computer, be it a Physical Desktop Machine or a Laptop.

You can create files and save them to the Desktop Workspace (simply named: Desktop) so that they are easily accessible to you.
    You can also create & save files to:
    1) Documents folder
    2) Pictures folder
    3) This PC ->Windows (C: )
    4) This PC ->Windows (D: ) - if you have it

In: This PC ->Windows (C: )
    - you can create other folders and name them according to your needs and save files there as well.

This way it becomes easy to find you files. You simply go to "This PC" -> "Windows C:" and open the folder that you created such as:

- Bills
    - Household
    - Kids
    - Grandkids
    -Motor
    -etc

Advertisement