Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Does anyone have any suggestions about dealing with the following issue?

I also have a Lenovo which has three times tried to load the latest Windows 10 update, and the last time said that it had to update it in anticipation of something else happening (can't remember what). Each time after setting it up the system gets to showing the desktop then starts to cycle quickly through the various start pages and will not move on. Each time I have removed the update and it is fine till Windows insists on updating again.

I have had it into one computer shop but the guy didn't really take on board what I was explaining, loaded the update and it started cycling again, and he said there was nothing could be done about it till Windows provided a patch. He said this is a Lenovo issue.

I found a page called Lenovo System Update on the Lenovo Help site, but I would not feel confident to follow it, and presumably the tech guy should have been aware of this information?

On balance I would not have another Lenovo, but in the meantime this is what I have got. Any suggestions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Would there be any BIOS updates for the board that might fix the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Would there be any BIOS updates for the board that might fix the issue?

Last resort^^^^

Do the Lenovo update thing you mentioned first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all. Got a new laptop and wan5 to transfer my files from my old laptop.

The problem is that ALL the USB ports on my old laptop are broken and so have no means of transferring the data to an external HD. So am snookered.

How would you recommend me get the files from OLD to NEW..????

Many thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There are a few ways. You could transfer them wirelessly or via a network cable on your home network or by uploading them and downloading via something like Dropbox.

How much data is it? Windows I presume?

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    There are a few ways. You could transfer them wirelessly or via a network cable on your home network or by uploading them and downloading via something like Dropbox.

How much data is it? Windows I presume?

Yes. Windows. New is 10 and old is 10

Data is files worked on around 200gb of data

What about software I am using.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good thread this.

Masala wrote: »
    Yes. Windows. New is 10 and old is 10

Data is files worked on around 200gb of data

What about software I am using.

That’s a lot of data to transfer over a cloud service.
    You could get a drive USB caddy and take the hard drive out of the old laptop and connect it to the new one via the caddy and copy over.

Probably best to install all software from scratch with Windows.

How old is the laptop? probably a SATA hard drive.

EDIT: something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-5-Inch-Tool-free-External-Enclosure-Black-USB-3-0/dp/B079FR7H5H/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=usb+sata+hdd+caddy&qid=1577290242&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭pummice

I have logins for various online accounts, eg bank, ebay, amazon, etc with username and password. More and more I am getting messages like "help us protect your account" by giving phone numbers and other information. Is this just information gathering or is there a genuine security reason to give over this data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

pummice wrote: »
    I have logins for various online accounts, eg bank, ebay, amazon, etc with username and password. More and more I am getting messages like "help us protect your account" by giving phone numbers and other information. Is this just information gathering or is there a genuine security reason to give over this data?

Do it. More security. You get txt numbers to enter when doing stuff.

Start using duckduckgo as your browser or forget about data gathering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

It is a genuine security reason, as it helps minimise a security breech on the account, as they'll use a combination/all of the sources available to them to verify who you are/say you are.

Try using 'Two Factor Authentication' where available, giving mobile numbers and or other emails will also help verify the account.

Microsoft have two factor, it's simple really, you log into your account as normal, then it just pops up on your mobile to confirm you allow the logon.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

FFVII wrote: »
    Do it. More security. You get txt numbers to enter when doing stuff.

Start using duckduckgo as your browser or forget about data gathering

Can you use duckduckgo side by side with Firefox?

DuckDuckGo is just a search engine website like google, you can use it on any browser. Firefox allows you to select it as default search engine.

Unlike Google they don’t spy on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

5uspect wrote: »
    DuckDuckGo is just a search engine website like google, you can use it on any browser. Firefox allows you to select it as default search engine.

Unlike Google they don’t spy on you.

There are now DuckDucGo browser extensions too, for various browsers. See

https://help.duckduckgo.com/duckduckgo-help-pages/desktop/adding-duckduckgo-to-your-browser/

OP - you could also consider getting one/all USB ports on the old laptop fixed.

Otherwise, go the external caddy route. Just be sure to get one that will take the old hard drive.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just be certain to verify the source before proceeding. Scammers will spoof a login page to look like your actual bank/Amazon etc. login page. The link they give you may visually appear correct too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Bought this and trying it out.

Seems to work on some drives that didn't work other ways.

http://www.adverts.ie/2516387

I'm nothing to do with the seller.

Hi guys... just wondering how can I print off a Message Thread from my iPhone???? I need the full thread - so screenshots could be 14-15 screen captures etc that will have to do if there is nothing better on offer

Many thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Some tips here. :) You may have to use special software to doi it, or, at a push, you could use another phone to take pictures of the screen with the conversations (clumsier way of doing it, though).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Actually, this could be a better way. https://www.wired.com/2013/11/backup-sms-iphone/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hi guys... just wondering how can I print off a Message Thread from my iPhone???? I need the full thread - so screenshots could be 14-15 screen captures etc that will have to do if there is nothing better on offer

Many thanks

Screenshot everything. Make clean screenshots so the same thing isn’t written twice on any shot. Email to yourself every image. Print.

Apart from screen recorders there’s feck all out there to capture everything. Unless they’re WhatsApp messages. If they’re specific iMessage texts you can log into your iCloud account on desktop and print all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Many thanks

Where is the the thread and in what format.

On Internet you can download the page on some.

Many thanks

If you have a Mac you can simply export to PDF from the file menu.

On iOS 13 you can screenshot a full page as a PDF. When creating a screenshot there is a full page option at the top. This doesn’t appear to be an option with iMessage however.

Instead of many screenshots why not record the screen to a video? You can enable screen recording as follows:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935

Another method is to long press a single message and then tap ‘More...’. Check off each message you want to copy and then tap the forward arrow at the bottom right. Copy paste the text to another app or email or whatever.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Deja Boo wrote: »
    I despise my smart(-arse) phone. Your face can't go anywhere near it, else your cheek indvertently hits mute or cuts off the call entirely (every time!) How are you supposed to hear what people are saying, if ya can't get your ear anywhere near it? ALSO, the freaky thing rings people all on it's own! Blasted piece of rubbish.

Ridiculous technology!
    *sigh*
    Flip phones, I miss them.

Most phones have a setting to turn the screen off when you're on a call and you're holding the phone to your face.
    What phone do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

aido79 wrote: »
    Most phones have a setting to turn the screen off when you're on a call and you're holding the phone to your face.
    What phone do you have?

ah don't mind me, all technology is madness to me... there is no such setting on my cheapy phone, funny that the screen goes off when I must punch in numbers to get to the right department (when I make calls), so having the screen off is not an option. ta for your reply though, am just blowing off steam.

ah don't mind me, all technology is madness to me... there is no such setting on my cheapy phone, funny that the screen goes off when I must punch in numbers to get to the right department (when I make calls), so having the screen off is not an option. ta for your reply though, am just blowing off steam.

It's usually a proximity sensor and only turns the screen off when close to your face. Once you take it away from your face the screen comes back on allowing you to use the keypad.
    I'd be very surprised if they are not on all smartphones even the cheaper ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

aido79 wrote: »
    It's usually a proximity sensor and only turns the screen off when close to your face. Once you take it away from your face the screen comes back on allowing you to use the keypad.
    I'd be very surprised if they are not on all smartphones even the cheaper ones.

That would make sense, but it doesnt turn it off when the my face is near it, else it wouldnt mute or cut off. :/

That would make sense, but it doesnt turn it off when the my face is near it, else it wouldnt mute or cut off. :/

The setting is turned off. You need to turn it on. That's why I asked what type of phone you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sounds like you have one of those horrible Nokia 1s that Vodafone were giving away, heap of rubbish. Mine is the same. Its due to be dumped, but I haven't got around to facing into sorting out my Vodafone account, perish the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Hi folks, trying to sort out my pc/internet lifestyle and I've found old files and photos etc on different One Drive, Google Drive and Dropbox accounts.

Is there anyway I can transfer these from the different apps and organise them all into one account? Btw most of the files, folders and photos are all in my One Drive account at present, so preferably I'd prefer to transfer everything into this for convenience.
    Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Hi folks, trying to sort out my pc/internet lifestyle and I've found old files and photos etc on different One Drive, Google Drive and Dropbox accounts.

Is there anyway I can transfer these from the different apps and organise them all into one account? Btw most of the files, folders and photos are all in my One Drive account at present, so preferably I'd prefer to transfer everything into this for convenience.
    Thank you.

Something like this??

https://www.imobie.com/cloud-transfer/how-to-transfer-files-from-google-drive-to-onedrive.htm

Advertisement