Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I tried the thunderbird account and it seems to be fine. I do have a gmail account but i don't use it much. I have had the eircom address for something like 17 years and it is just myname@eircomdotnet, which is great, the gmail account is full of dots and backwards names and stuff!

I don't see any way of importing the old emails, but fortunately the old pc is still working - very slowly! so i can access them for the moment.

Thanks for suggestions!

Edit: Steve I tried that business of bringing emails into one account - admittedly years ago when I had a yahoo addy, and they vanished for all time, never to be seen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Try gmx mail. Unless you have a dirt common name you should be able to get yourname@gmx.com or co.uk. There is also an option in gmx for importing from other hosts.

Sorry folks, one more question about this email business - I really do want to keep my eircom addy as so many people have it - but there seems to be issues with eircom as a provider. I have had a couple of warnings that eircom is not secure. Now thunderbird made a huge todo about the fact that the stmp (I have no idea what that is) is not secure and the certificate is out of date etc. It asked me to specifically override thunderbirds security settings so i could use my eircom address. Does any of this make sense, should I be concerned? I was going to ask in 'talk to eircom' but life is too short..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

why am i getting the message a script is slow, i am asked to either stop it or continue.

Are you using firefox?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

looksee wrote: »
    I tried the thunderbird account and it seems to be fine. I do have a gmail account but i don't use it much. I have had the eircom address for something like 17 years and it is just myname@eircomdotnet, which is great, the gmail account is full of dots and backwards names and stuff!

I don't see any way of importing the old emails, but fortunately the old pc is still working - very slowly! so i can access them for the moment.

Thanks for suggestions!

Edit: Steve I tried that business of bringing emails into one account - admittedly years ago when I had a yahoo addy, and they vanished for all time, never to be seen again!
    I think my OH has her ericom account managed through gmail, I'll ask her about this and get back to you.

I'm pretty sure once it is set up, gmail can send mails via the eircom account as well so your peers won't see any difference.

The big benefit is you don't need any software outside of a computer or phone with internet access to run it. A small downside is you can't look-up old emails unless you are online (i.e. they are not saved locally).
    Sorry folks, one more question about this email business - I really do want to keep my eircom addy as so many people have it - but there seems to be issues with eircom as a provider. I have had a couple of warnings that eircom is not secure. Now thunderbird made a huge todo about the fact that the stmp (I have no idea what that is) is not secure and the certificate is out of date etc. It asked me to specifically override thunderbirds security settings so i could use my eircom address. Does any of this make sense, should I be concerned? I was going to ask in 'talk to eircom' but life is too short..
    smtp stands for 'simple mail transfer protocol' and is not the most secure way of fetching emails from a mail server. I've heard this before about the eircom servers.
    Unless you are ultra paraniod about the possibility of your mail being intercepted or are sending uber sekrit stuff or naked celebrity pics of yourself (:D) then it's ok to ignore the warnings.

Steve wrote: »
    I think my OH has her ericom account managed through gmail, I'll ask her about this and get back to you.

I'm pretty sure once it is set up, gmail can send mails via the eircom account as well so your peers won't see any difference.

The big benefit is you don't need any software outside of a computer or phone with internet access to run it. A small downside is you can't look-up old emails unless you are online (i.e. they are not saved locally).

smtp stands for 'simple mail transfer protocol' and is not the most secure way of fetching emails from a mail server. I've heard this before about the eircom servers.
    Unless you are ultra paraniod about the possibility of your mail being intercepted or are sending uber sekrit stuff or naked celebrity pics of yourself (:D) then it's ok to ignore the warnings.

Thanks Steve, I would appreciate info about the gmail thing.

That's good about the smtp, I suspected it was something like that, no I don't deal in any secrets, and I suspect the world would be very grateful if they were not treated to naked pics - celebrity or otherwise - of myself, so they wouldn't be worth ransoming! Cheers. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

SMTP is used for sending mail, not receiving it

ken wrote: »
    Are you using firefox?

a relative, sea monkey.

I had to switch away from firefox altogether. They're releasing so many updates that developers of add ons and apps can't keep up. My suggestion is disable all add ons and then turn them on one by one. Or is there one you recently installed try disabling it. I got sick of doing it in the end but give it a shot.

• Advertisement

Steve, I have found those services in gmail, and they look very helpful, I will give them a go, I just hadn't thought to look. I think my problem is basically being woolly about how email works, rather than not being able to use programs! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Anyone know what's the story with the wifi on croke park,Is it blocked to patrons?

ken wrote: »
    I had to switch away from firefox altogether. They're releasing so many updates that developers of add ons and apps can't keep up. My suggestion is disable all add ons and then turn them on one by one. Or is there one you recently installed try disabling it. I got sick of doing it in the end but give it a shot.
    it is an acer one netbook running w7 starter, the os is in spanish, i only use my machines for browsing, so i renewed it, now i have a clean install, i am using k-meleon browser, fortis av, and private firewall, i will shortly download adsuck, jet clean, malwarebytes, and superantispyware, i never browse without them, the firefox prob has been the only one i have had in years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Steve, I have found those services in gmail, and they look very helpful, I will give them a go, I just hadn't thought to look. I think my problem is basically being woolly about how email works, rather than not being able to use programs! Thanks

Just asked, gmail is fetching her eircom mails no problems & no complaints there. Not sure about the sending as eircom thing though, I'll bow to others with more experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Bit of a problem here that I probably won't explain properly but here goes.
    I've a few sites on my desktop that I click regularly. Today my grandson was tapping the keys while I wasn't paying much heed and now one of these sites only downloads. It's only a radio station but I can't even open it in the downloads.

Chucken wrote: »
    Bit of a problem here that I probably won't explain properly but here goes.
    I've a few sites on my desktop that I click regularly. Today my grandson was tapping the keys while I wasn't paying much heed and now one of these sites only downloads. It's only a radio station but I can't even open it in the downloads.

Google search for the site and go to it. Once their right click and save it as a bookmark. Then open your bookmark menu and left click and drag it to your desktop. You can delete the old one then.

:cool: That worked. Thanks Ken :)

Bulk Email addresses Fresh Leads Worldwide 2013/2014
    Blast emails online within 1hr with my spider Wox sender
    The sender blasts 2millon mails at a time in 1hr only.
    You see replies inbox and i make you personal domain as reply to LIKE :@ANY DOMAIN.COM

Selling Alibaba Email + pass, Alibaba logins,
    2.8% china.alibaba.com 45.2%
    41.1% alibaba.com 24.6% 8.0
    14.7% my.alibaba.com 8.7% 7.9
    8.9% cn.alibaba.com 7.9% 12.0
    8.2% en.alibaba.com 5.4% 8.9
    1.7% vip.alibaba.com 3.5% 27.3
    1.8% trustpass.alibaba.com 0.7%
    2.9% importer.alibaba.com 0.6%
    5.7% img.alibaba.com 0.5% 1.2
    3.8% login.alibaba.com 0.4%
    1.4% webmessage.alibaba.com 0.4%
    1.0% news.alibaba.com 0.4%
    1.4% resources.alibaba.com 0.3%
    0.1% partner.alibaba.com 0.3%
    1.3% exporter.alibaba.com 0.3%
    0.4% connectkeyword.alibaba.com

Zues, Trojan/ice9/spyware lates and all do By pass antivirus, World wide email
    business leads, China, Usa, Arab golf, Uk. uk/ usa Fullz.
    Credit cards, RDP SCANNER...SMTPS SCANNER, WEBMAIL 500BCC 1000BBC CPANELS, C99 SHELLS
    Paypal email and pass verified Bank logins, Uk usa asia mixed.international roaming number with airtime on ur cellfone or Homefone.

ADD ME ON YAHOO MESSENGER ID IN BRACKET below

{SHABANYANNICK}.
    Reply, Reply all or Forward | More
    Click to Reply All
    Send

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,071 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's just spam, in this case selling other peoples account details for use by phisher/scammers/general scum of the world.

What has me worried is that I bought a 3310 :cool: yesterday from China.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057277664

Any connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

hard to say Chuck. If you have something you are waiting for I would wait til you get it and then delete all e-mails of that kind as junk

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Any recommended software to search and remove PUP?

JOSman wrote: »
    Any recommended software to search and remove PUP?

Malwarebytes. Download it, then make it update itself, then restart PC in safe Mode and scan

Hi bonzodog2,

Did that, nothing found. Great that my PC is clean.

Thanks for your help.

J:cool:

JOSman wrote: »
    Hi bonzodog2,

Did that, nothing found. Great that my PC is clean.

Thanks for your help.

J:cool:

You should also have an AV that checks things as they are downloaded. Any 1 of MSE/Avast/AVG/Avira free versions do this. Don't have more than 1.

Hi bonzodog2,

I'm running MSE (on) and have FortiClient installed but not live (off).

Sometimes the odd PUP sneaks through. I also have Ghostery, which I like.

Thanks again.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

what is a pup (no do not say a baby doggy)

tis a "Potentially Unwanted Program". Spyware, Adware, Trojans,keyloggers and other nasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

security essentials is pretty poor as catching viruses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

irishgeo wrote: »
    security essentials is pretty poor as catching viruses.

Add Norton to that. My sister asked me to look at her laptop which had the full Norton package on it and it was one sick computer.
    Malwarebytes picked up 2913 threats.
    Spybot picked up about 30.
    Then Avira found 4 trojans.
    Unreal.

Advertisement