Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Remember to select try instead of install when you run it*, otherwise you'll install it as the OS and lose anything you havent backed up

*assuming you only want to try these out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

This may have been asked before, but is there an easy way to embed PART of a youtube video into a boards post (instead of the whole thing)? I don't want the whole video, just about 20 seconds from the middle of it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Eeden wrote: »
    This may have been asked before, but is there an easy way to embed PART of a youtube video into a boards post (instead of the whole thing)? I don't want the whole video, just about 20 seconds from the middle of it. :o

Sorry, can't help - there isn't an easy way to attach anything to boards. It will be a bewildering, hit-or-miss ordeal. But I'm anxiously awaiting the usual replies that start on Page 29 instead of Page 1. Usually, they include obscure software and slang what the nuns never taught you.

PS: You "may" have to save, trim / edit / crop the video on your computer first, save the shortened version and then perform a series of logic-free, ceremonial mouse-clicks, in the correct order, in boards, with URLs(?), links, icons with mountains and chains, etc. When you find the correct order of clicks, don't bother writing it down because it won't work next time you try it. But you'll have "such fun" trying!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Sorry, can't help - there isn't an easy way to attach anything to boards. It will be a bewildering, hit-or-miss ordeal. But I'm anxiously awaiting the usual replies that start on Page 29 instead of Page 1. Usually, they include obscure software and slang what the nuns never taught you.

PS: You "may" have to save, trim / edit / crop the video on your computer first, save the shortened version and then perform a series of logic-free, ceremonial mouse-clicks, in the correct order, in boards, with URLs(?), links, icons with mountains and chains, etc. When you find the correct order of clicks, don't bother writing it down because it won't work next time you try it. But you'll have "such fun" trying!!!
    You missed out sacrificing your first born to the gods, video rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Sure just point us at the entire video on Youtube.

We won't mind looking at the whole thing, maybe we can vote, which is the best 20 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

The easiest and closet thing to it would be to link to exact point in the video. You can't embed it in the normal manner though, you can only give a link. If you go to your youtube video, pause it, then right-click on it; there is an option to "Copy video URL at current time" which gives you this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DY9cvhLvzkM#t=694

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Grimebox wrote: »
    The easiest and closet thing to it would be to link to exact point in the video. You can't embed it in the normal manner though, you can only give a link. If you go to your youtube video, pause it, then right-click on it; there is an option to "Copy video URL at current time" which gives you this https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DY9cvhLvzkM#t=694

Y'see? There is always one bright spark in this dark dungeon we call 'home'. Oh you clever clogs you!

You know when you are posting a "link" in reply to a question, in some very interesting Thread, here on Boards.

Well I got the hang of Copying the long line of letters, numbers, in the box at the top, and " pasting"that into my post.
    You hold down the Right Button on the Mouse, while hovering.
    I have noticed some experts can turn that "link" into a single word, usually "Link" and it's in Blue, as it appears in a post.

How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Grimebox wrote: »
    You need to create a bootable cd from that ubuntu '.iso' file.

If you don't have a cd burner, get a usb stick which can fit the ubuntu installer onto it.

Once that is done, you need to tell your computer to boot from the cd/usb key. To do that, press one of the F1-F12 buttons while your computer is starting up. It will tell you at the bottom of the screen briefly which one to press as it is starting up. Select cd/usb from the boot menu and the installation should be self-explanatory from there

thank you, i will/may change over from xp pro before the 6th, i have a a hard drive from from another machine which should have vista on it, provided it is not dead.

martinn123 wrote: »
    You know when you are posting a "link" in reply to a question, in some very interesting Thread, here on Boards.

Well I got the hang of Copying the long line of letters, numbers, in the box at the top, and " pasting"that into my post.
    I have noticed some experts can turn that "link" into a single word, usually "Link" and it's in Blue, as it appears in a post.

How do you do that?
    type [ url=website]place text here[/url]
    It'll look like martin123 is great
    Don't leave spaces. I've to do that so you can see it.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »

OK
    does this work
    so it works

thank you ken.

Your welcome Martin.

BTY, you left out an [ or maybe an ] from your excellent post. Just in front of place text here, I think.

I know it was an accident, but that's why it took me an hour to reply, I did not want to give up, until I mastered the code, without posting again.....cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 theexamanyotta

Try tubechop. Just need the video URL and its got a handy slider to where you want to start and finish the video.

Here is an example:
    http://www.tubechop.com/watch/2442491

But I don't think it possible to embed it in a boards post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I know it was an accident, but that's why it took me an hour to reply, I did not want to give up, until I mastered the code, without posting again.....cheers
    There's a test forum you can use for trying out all of this..
    [noparse]There's a [URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=361"]test[/URL] forum you can use for trying out all of this.. [/noparse]

(see what I did there!)

The easiest way to do this is to copy the URL to clipboard, type your post, select the word that you want to make a link from, press the insert link icon above (createlink.gif) and paste the URL into the box that appears.

Steve wrote: »

The easiest way to do this is to copy the URL to clipboard, type your post, select the word that you want to make a link from, press the insert link icon above (createlink.gif) and paste the URL into the box that appears.

That's easy for you to say ( or type).

Anyone understand what all that means?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

How do you do that?

1) Type in the word you want to use - for example the word "link"
    2) highlight this word
    3) while its still highlighted - press the hyperlink button at the top - its the button that has the world and a chain. When you press this a box comes up asking you to enter the URL ( this is the address of the web page that you want to link - ie the long list of words and maybe numbers in the box at the very top
    Copy the URl into the box
    4) Press Ok

Example Link

• Registered Users Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭looksee

its just a copy paste process - highlight the 'address' that you want to make into a link, press ctrl c ('copy'), that puts it on your pasteboard (puts it in the computer's immediate memory) then highlight the word that you want to make into a link, click on the little link icon that Steve showed and when it appears as a box click in it and do ctrl v (paste). It should put a whole heap of gobbldegook into your post, but when you post it, it will be a link.

I was beaten to it!

I have a sneaking suspicion that Martin will be sticking to my way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

That's easy for you to say ( or type).

Anyone understand what all that means?.

Check out this fantastic ad!!!

As luck would have it, I'm messing with some video editing software this evening, here's the result.. :)

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Check out this fantastic ad!!!

As luck would have it, I'm messing with some video editing software this evening, here's the result.. :)

That's Brilliant thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

This thread is great:)

I had so many questions.

Thanks lads

I have a sneaking suspicion that Martin will be sticking to my way.

No, in fairness to all the helpful posts, I will give it a go....

Thanks Red Hare also to Ken,

It works, ( I know that says you)

Thanks again

No, in fairness to all the helpful posts, I will give it a go....

Thanks Red Hare also to Ken,

It works, ( I know that says you)

Thanks again
    Now watch as you never get to use it again.

Right we are on a roll here guys.

Next task I can't manage, is to post a photo directly onto a post.
    Now I can manage the "manage attachment" malarkey, where link to the photo appears at the bottom of the post, but how do I get the photo to appear in the post, e.g some lovely pictures on the Wildlife in the Garden Thread.

I have tried clicking the attach photo tab at the top, but it looks for a URL, what if the photo is in my photo's folder, on my PC

28byb03.jpg
    You need to upload a pic to a site like photobucket or tinypic. You'll need to sign up to these sights.
    Once you upload it you get options to copy the url
    nvyzjo.jpg

Or you can put the before a link and after it.

Alternatively, use the awesome site created by Ross, ex boards developer and all-round general genius.

www.wthax.org

Just drag your photo onto the 'choose file' button, click the 'Do it! Do it now!' button and you will get the bb code to copy and paste as above.

No signup is required.

57Fbcc.jpg

Did that Work ?

Yes, is there no end to the help you can get when you know where to look.......cheers.....again.

Super!

Glad to help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I seem to either have a problem connecting to Faceache or I have been banned. (No I honestly dunno why I would be banned from there.) But does anyone know how you can tell?

Advertisement