Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

martinn123 wrote: »
    recently some of these Guys have been ''endorsing'' my achievements, or qualities, none of them, actually know me, or have seen any of my work, other than perhaps pic's on my F/B Page.

I am also getting messages from Linkedin asking me to return the favour, and endorse those among my connections.

What's this all about??

Yes, Linkedin is a pain.
    It's a kind of online CV database, much frequented by employment agencies and idle surfers. The "endorsements" are a joke, usually bestowed by buddies on buddies. I wasn't aware that strangers could endorse your skills but perhaps the deliberately confusing architecture of linkedin's website is to blame.

Alternatively, you could bask in the glory of praise from the great unwashed. For a nominal fee, I could be persuaded to endorse you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Yes, Linkedin is a pain.
    It's a kind of online CV database, much frequented by employment agencies and idle surfers. The "endorsements" are a joke, usually bestowed by buddies on buddies. I wasn't aware that strangers could endorse your skills but perhaps the deliberately confusing architecture of linkedin's website is to blame.

To clarify, they are connections, but have not seen anything I have done.
    If it's a CV database, who could rely on endorsements like this, on my CV
    BrensBenz wrote:
    Alternatively, you could bask in the glory of praise from the great unwashed. For a nominal fee, I could be persuaded to endorse you too!

Sound like an idea, how much for an unwashed endorsement.?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Hello, another question.

Our old Dell computer runs with Windows XP. I've heard that this will no longer be supported by Windows after the end of next month and to be honest I haven't a clue what the implications of this are. Can anyone advise what this means and what I need to do?? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have a Dell PC about 8 years old running windows xp I think.
    I went to turn it on last night and all I get is an amber flashing light on the power switch, won't turn on at all.
    Any ideas? Is it kaput?

Thanks

Bw

• Registered Users Posts: 28,141 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am waiting to see the same thing myself, along with millions of other people I guess :-) As far as I can see it does not mean much more than, carry on as you are, but if things go wrong there will be no patch to fix it. I am about due a new computer at this stage anyway so I am not proposing to do anything till I upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

looksee wrote: »
    I am waiting to see the same thing myself, along with millions of other people I guess :-) As far as I can see it does not mean much more than, carry on as you are, but if things go wrong there will be no patch to fix it. I am about due a new computer at this stage anyway so I am not proposing to do anything till I upgrade.

This is a decent enough article on what to do when support for XP finishes next month:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2102606/how-to-keep-your-pc-secure-when-microsoft-ends-windows-xp-support.html

fleabag wrote: »
    Hello, another question.

Our old Dell computer runs with Windows XP. I've heard that this will no longer be supported by Windows after the end of next month and to be honest I haven't a clue what the implications of this are. Can anyone advise what this means and what I need to do?? Thank you!

Here's a link to Windows on this subject.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/endofsupport.aspx

I guess they want us all to buy something new.

Security updates will not be available, so we will all be ''hacked'' to death, we will all catch a ''virus''

It's the Y2K all over again.......We are Doomed.

Alternative view..........carry on as before, it will break down eventually, and then buy a new one.

we will all be ''hacked'' to death, we will all catch a ''virus''

It's the Y2K all over again.......We are Doomed.

Yep, you're right! My XP-powered laptop burst into flames last night and a herd of those pesky, nine-legged dibbity dibbity worms hid in the smoke, laughing hysterically. Their laughter fanned the flames and the laptop burned through my desk and set fire to the carpet, the woof's tail and on through to the basement and beyond. Minutes later, black gold oozed into the basement but the methane cloud exploded, casting the dibbity dibbity worms through the windows and levelled the street.

When the fire brigade left, I found that all of my life's work had been consumed in the fire. I am now stateless, roaming the planet, an outcast.

Upgrade immeejitly or you too will be cast into the vastness of.....this dark.....place....like.....totally.

Ha! ha! I thought as much myself. A clumsy ploy to get people to spend money. I would have thought an 'old' operating system would be less vulnerable to viruses and hackers anyway as I imagine they would be using/targetting the newest versions. Anyhoo, thanks for the replies, one less thing to worry about ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Ha! ha! I thought as much myself. A clumsy ploy to get people to spend money. I would have thought an 'old' operating system would be less vulnerable to viruses and hackers anyway as I imagine they would be using/targetting the newest versions. Anyhoo, thanks for the replies, one less thing to worry about ...:)
    It's the opposite really. The fact that so many people are still on XP is a golden opportunity, there'll be lots of people targeting it and any vulnerabilities found will be deliberately held back on being exploited until after support ends as then they know it'll never actually be patched.

Holding onto XP is a bad idea.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    It's the opposite really. The fact that so many people are still on XP is a golden opportunity, there'll be lots of people targeting it and any vulnerabilities found will be deliberately held back on being exploited until after support ends as then they know it'll never actually be patched.

Ha ha, Blowfish you are new round here aren't you? :cool: An agent for Windows no doubt! :eek:

(You may well be right, but we would prefer not to know about it till its too late :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

This more a printer problem. There are lines printing across the page. Someone told me 'the heads are the problem' and the printer is knackered. I don't know what that means but I don't want to dump it as its not that old. I usually get the cartridges refilled, could that have been the cause? Any way I can save it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This more a printer problem. There are lines printing across the page. Someone told me 'the heads are the problem' and the printer is knackered. I don't know what that means but I don't want to dump it as its not that old. I usually get the cartridges refilled, could that have been the cause? Any way I can save it?

What type of printer? (Laser or inkjet?)

If it is an inkjet then you probably just need to clean the print heads. The printer controls should have an option to clean print heads.
    If that does not work try new cartridges (and clean the heads again with the new cartridges for good measure).
    If that does not work then depending on the printer model you might be able to replace the print heads without replacing the entire device, but you are getting close the the point where it would be cheaper to replace the printer.

Blowfish wrote: »

OK, I'm worried again now. Does this mean that for example, my online banking details, Paypal account and personal details will be vulnerable? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

OK, I'm worried again now. Does this mean that for example, my online banking details, Paypal account and personal details will be vulnerable? :(

Everyone's data is vulnerable, even using the latest OS and best protections and practices.
    If you are using XP your data is more vulnerable than most, especially if you are using Internet Explorer.
    After the end of support it is likely that there will be new exploits increasing the risk further.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This really depends on a few things ... like what kind of printer it is for one thing! If you have a make and model that will help.

On some printers just replacing the cartridge will help. (In fact, low ink/toner can BE the reason for streaks).

Some printers have "self-cleaning routines" that might help.

....the printer is knackered. I don't know what that means ...

It's a not-very-polite, colloquial term, used in many different contexts, from technical to veterinarian.

When IT are involved, it is usually delivered over a counter by a child in corporate uniform, accompanied by some techno-verbage and almost always means that the person hasn't a clue what is causing the reported, technical problem but is too pig-headed to admit it. A rule of thumb is that the advisor probably has stock or access to more expensive replacement equipment.

However, at least that term wasn't directed at you by medical staff. From them, it can be a herald to long spells on hospital food, constant jabs and fizio.

This, indeed, is bad but, if you were a horse, well........

The printer was supplied with a disc. My first option would be to delete all of the printer drivers, etc. from your computer and reinstall the software from the disc. Also, there should be a "re-alignment" or "calibration" box, carefully hidden away, somewhere near "fault-finding".

I used refill cartridges ONCE in an inkjet (epsom) printer, and that banjaxed it for good. Now I have a laser printer and the cartridges are a horrendous price, but seem to last longer, and I have a feeling refill laser cartridges are a better prospect than ink jet refills. I hope.

BrensBenz wrote:

My first option would be to delete all of the printer drivers, etc. from your computer and reinstall the software from the disc.

I think that might be a bum steer,

Surely if you " delete the driver ".....it will crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

looksee wrote: »
    I used refill cartridges ONCE in an inkjet (epsom) printer, and that banjaxed it for good. Now I have a laser printer and the cartridges are a horrendous price, but seem to last longer, and I have a feeling refill laser cartridges are a better prospect than ink jet refills. I hope.
    List your make & model, and how much you currently pay, and from where.
    Are the lines vertical or horizontal? If it's a HP, there'll be a "Maintain your Printer" option, and then click on "Align your Printheads". Whoever told you that your printer is knackered probably wanted to sell you a new one.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    List your make & model, and how much you currently pay, and from where.

Its a HP laserjet1025 colour, I have only bought one so far, black, I think I got it from HP as they seemed to be the best price and I think I paid €80 (you have to remember you are on O&O ;) )

Just going on previous, personal experience with a HP printer. No amount of troubleshooting and recalibration helped but when I deleted ALL "history" of the printer from the computer hard drive and re-installed it ("Install new printer") using the software (and probably drivers) already on the installation disk, all was well again, and still is! I don't think I needed to replace "separate" drivers but, if necessary, they're usually obtainable free from Mr. Google.

I'm no technohead or clairvoyant but I could foresee a scenario where sales staff were preparing to tell me that "it's knackered, mister. Ya need a new wan". That spurred me to hit "delete". Maybe I was lucky.....or maybe I got one over Hewlett Packard!

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Just going on previous, personal experience with a HP printer. No amount of troubleshooting and recalibration helped but when I deleted ALL "history" of the printer from the computer hard drive and re-installed it ("Install new printer") using the software (and probably drivers) already on the installation disk, all was well again, and still is! I don't think I needed to replace "separate" drivers but, if necessary, they're usually obtainable free from Mr. Google.

I'm no technohead or clairvoyant but I could foresee a scenario where sales staff were preparing to tell me that "it's knackered, mister. Ya need a new wan". That spurred me to hit "delete". Maybe I was lucky.....or maybe I got one over Hewlett Packard!
    martinn123 wrote:

sorry that was just a play on words, ....steer....driver......crash....

Must try harder.

sorry that was just a play on words, ....steer....driver......crash....

Must try harder.

Duh, waaaayyyyy too clever for me, a simple country lad with the top of his wellies turned down.

However, my training is to search for the root cause of problems, rather than applying bandages on symptoms. I think I may have the root cause for most problems on this thread - dunnn de dun dun duuuuunnnnn: IT geeks take perfectly good words and give them new meanings, without permission.

For example: In our youth, what did the word "application" mean? Or "drive / driver"? Or "domain"? Or "buffer"? Or "windows"?

It isn't hard to take a word and give it a brand new and obscure meaning - two-year-olds and their great grand parents do it all the time - so it's time to set up an anti-makey-uppy-word police squad, with powers to arrest and torture IT geeks with a tenuous grip on vocabulary. I will gladly assume the position of Chief Commandant Commissioner of this force and look forward to using some of the tools in my shed on these miscreants.

You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

All hail the Commandant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Great ideee-er! Can I be in your army Brenz?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As an IT geek... it must be said that we do take joy in a decent pun or re-use of a word in a different context. Many of them are in an attempt to make the item more recognisable to non-computer people (eg: Windows) but others are just in jokes :)

We really shouldn't anthropomorphise computers... they *hate* it when you do that.

DeVore wrote: »
    As an IT geek... it must be said that we do take joy in a decent pun or re-use of a word in a different context. Many of them are in an attempt to make the item more recognisable to non-computer people (eg: Windows) but others are just in jokes :)

You may not be aware (pharmaceuticals are great) but when you became an IT geek, you became "different". Language, memories, social training, communication skills, etc. were "deleted" and replaced by Geekish. A pun which might render you and your geek buddish helpless with laughter will barely register with the 99.9% of the world's population that have not become geeks. This expains why geeks now have no concept of Plain English and can't even write "help" advice. Come on, tell us: Who really wrote your post?

Fortunately, medical science has made great strides in curing Nerd Syndrome - it involves an eency weency operation just below your hairline. You could be out of hospital in a few days. The procedure is regarded as successful when you are observed going to "Help" on a website and exploding into a rage..........just like the normal, 99.9% of the population do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

i have downloaded linux mint, also ubuntu on to my very old xp lappy, how do i get either of them to open, thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

flutered wrote: »
    i have downloaded linux mint, also ubuntu on to my very old xp lappy, how do i get either of them to open, thanks in advance.

You need to create a bootable cd from that ubuntu '.iso' file.

If you don't have a cd burner, get a usb stick which can fit the ubuntu installer onto it.

Once that is done, you need to tell your computer to boot from the cd/usb key. To do that, press one of the F1-F12 buttons while your computer is starting up. It will tell you at the bottom of the screen briefly which one to press as it is starting up. Select cd/usb from the boot menu and the installation should be self-explanatory from there

Advertisement