Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They'd email you and also you'd get a message when you tried to log in. Are you sure you weren't hacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks Ken I have it sorted now. It was just the first one to go off when my connection went AWOL. Apparently my home hub is now more advanced than my operating system and I need to upgrade from XP.

Sounds a bit off that but the advice I was given was to upgrade and that was from my ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think there are going to be all sorts of mysterious issues with XP now. Maybe I should move over to the conspiracies forum!

really can't have windows 8 on this puter and not sure I want it anyway as I have seen it and it needs a good kicking for being ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Hi guys

Does anyone know why the youtube button for embedding is gone.
    There was a button beside the spoiler button in the message options but it has vanished.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Hi guys

There was a button beside the spoiler button in the message options but it has vanished.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It is still there from what I can see.

Different forums have different rules regarding embedding videos. Perhaps you are just trying to post in a forum that does not allow this?

Javan wrote: »
    It is still there from what I can see.

Different forums have different rules regarding embedding videos. Perhaps you are just trying to post in a forum that does not allow this?

Thanks for the reply.

I'd imagine its permitted in this thread but the button doesn't appear to be in my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,724 ✭✭✭✭phog

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Any ideas?

Thanks

It's there on my view but may depend on what device you're using.

phog wrote: »
    It's there on my view but may depend on what device you're using.

Its a strange one.

I'm using a windows laptop and I'm sure I've posted videos using the youtube button on this device before.

I'll probably have post the query in feedback.

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

If you're just looking at the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page, the youtube button is not there. Maybe you need to click "Go Advanced" (at the bottom).

• Advertisement

It shows up on the "Post Reply" button. at least it does for me. I will try a random youtube link to see if it works ... ignore the content.

Eeden wrote: »
    If you're just looking at the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page, the youtube button is not there. Maybe you need to click "Go Advanced" (at the bottom).
    Rubecula wrote: »
    It shows up on the "Post Reply" button. at least it does for me. I will try a random youtube link to see if it works ... ignore the content.

Doesn't show on Post Reply, Quick Reply or Quote for me.:confused: I don't see any Advanced Options.

What version of windows are you using? and what browser(firefox,chrome,ie) are you using?. Try using boards on another browser and see if it's there. I'm using win7 home premium and firefox 29.0 and it's working fine.

Edit to add, are you using the new boards skin or one of the old ones?. Dav announced a good while ago that basic updates and fixes would not be done for the older skins any more.

I've just tried on my desktop and its there:)

Desktop is Win7 and Laptop is Win8 both using Firefox.

I'll uninstall Firefox on the laptop(Problem device) and try it again.

Right so.. I downloaded chrome and the youtube button was there on the laptop:)
    I Uninstalled Firefox and installed it again but the youtube button still not there. So the problem is probably to do with Firefox on Win8.

Start a thread here in site development about it. I don't see one there in the first few pages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are you running ad adblocker?

Can't see anything in the html for the button that is browser specific, that said I'm not an expert.

Anyways, Chrome is by far the best browser to use imho.

Steve wrote: »

Can't see anything in the html for the button that is browser specific, that said I'm not an expert.

You seem to have mispelled firefox.:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

ken wrote: »
    You seem to have mispelled firefox.:P

Not according to google.. :P:P

:D

Adblock is an interesting one, when I get home I'll disable it just out of interest.

Not mad about chrome but I could live with it if it resolves this wee issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll post the results of adblock.

• Advertisement

Not according to google.. :P:P

:D
    Touché

Adblock plus was the culprit.

I would never of guessed it, I was convinced it was on the boards.ie end;)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Not really a "computer" question but it does concern technology and sheisters:

Vodafone UK have "locked" MY phone and want £20stg ransom to enable me to use MY phone on a competent network.
    In order to pay the ransom, Vodavictims have to add £20 credit to their PAYG account. Now, their top-up-by-phone system hasn't worked for weeks; their online top-up system is "unavailable" and their supplied, "last resort" phone number is unobtainable.
    However, after months of shoddy / shambolic service, the thought of paying these clowns another penny is, how will I put it?.....irksome!
    I've seen lots of online unlocking sites. For a fee, they will supply an unlocking code number and lots of badly written instructions on how to use that number. I wondered if any of yiz have experience with these unlockers or were they trained at the same college of ethics as Vodafone UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I cannot get rid of my password on Yahoo. Since they've updated they're a right pain:mad:. Anyone on this computer can log in to my y/h a/c. I cannot log out . Anyone know what I'm talking about? Advice appreciated.

What browser do you use poppy?.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

poppyvally wrote: »
    I cannot get rid of my password on Yahoo. Since they've updated they're a right pain:mad:. Anyone on this computer can log in to my y/h a/c. I cannot log out . Anyone know what I'm talking about? Advice appreciated.
    Log out and then press and hold ctrl and F5 at the same time

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Not really a "computer" question but it does concern technology and sheisters:

Vodafone UK have "locked" MY phone and want £20stg ransom to enable me to use MY phone on a competent network.
    In order to pay the ransom, Vodavictims have to add £20 credit to their PAYG account. Now, their top-up-by-phone system hasn't worked for weeks; their online top-up system is "unavailable" and their supplied, "last resort" phone number is unobtainable.
    However, after months of shoddy / shambolic service, the thought of paying these clowns another penny is, how will I put it?.....irksome!
    I've seen lots of online unlocking sites. For a fee, they will supply an unlocking code number and lots of badly written instructions on how to use that number. I wondered if any of yiz have experience with these unlockers or were they trained at the same college of ethics as Vodafone UK?
    I had a phone that was mine that O2 wouldn't unlock cause I hadn't spent €120 on top ups in the previous 6 months. There's a shop in Newbridge that'll unlock phones for €20+(the + is for newer better phones). I brought the phone to them,showed ID and signed a piece of paper swearing the phone wasn't stolen. 10 mins later it was unlocked to all networks anywhere. I'm sure there is a shop somewhere near you that does computer/phone/tv repairs.

muffler wrote: »
    Log out and then press and hold ctrl and F5 at the same time
    I'm thinking poppy may have saved the password in firefox/chrome. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ken wrote: »
    I'm thinking poppy may have saved the password in firefox/chrome. Could be wrong.
    Aye, I use FF myself and have the log in details saved which, while very handy, isnt ideal. But pressing ctrl and F5 will clear the cache and allow for log out of the account at least.

Unfortunately if poppy has the details saved anyone else using it after that will be able to log in to that account if they press the first letter or digit correctly.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking something like Ccleaner. Where you can set it to erase all log ins and saved passwords. A little gem of a programme I've recommended before and will again.

Advertisement