Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

just saw the post on the previous page bout a quick dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

This thread has got really busy, its great!!
    Stuffed jacket potatoes is one of my fav meals at the moment. I use low fat chedder as my hexa, add onions, peppers grilled lean rasher and anything else that may take my fancy. yum yum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsGoose

anyone got any opinions on what to order in an Indian Resturant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

MrsGoose wrote: »
    Hi can someone post the link to the eating out area. I'm out for a chinese at the weekend and could do with a little forward planning.

If you search through the features, you can see the different options for the different types of food out.
    here is the link to the Chinese one. good luck and enjoy ;)

MrsGoose wrote: »
    anyone got any opinions on what to order in an Indian Resturant?

Here is their feature on Indian Food on the website about what to eat etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

lol at some of the foolish posts early in this thread, fortunately they seem to have ran away elsewhere :D

I joined Slimming World last summer (July) and to date I have lost over 5st.

Being a male, it wasn't easy attending classes at first (I was the only male amongst 60 females).

Personally, I don't see SW as a diet, it's far from it. It basically trains you to eat healthy, exercise regularly and actually enjoy your foods rather then indulge.

My entire lifestyle has changed dramatically, for the better :)

To anyone experiencing set-back or failing to understand the concept of SW, then speak to your consultant in person. Alternatively, get your books out and read them, again, and again. I'm at Slimming World over 7 months and read my book daily ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Fursttimer wrote: »
    lol at some of the foolish posts early in this thread, fortunately they seem to have ran away elsewhere :D

Which posts would those be?

As for the quick lunch, today I got a potato, pricked it with a fork a couple of times, bang it in microwave for 7 mins. Add beans, lettuce, spring onions..Can't get easier than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

By the way, anyone got the syn values of meringue nests? Just the littles ones you can buy in supermarket in pack of 4..I know the Weightwatchers pro-pointed them as 1PP each.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Catxscotch wrote: »
    By the way, anyone got the syn values of meringue nests? Just the littles ones you can buy in supermarket in pack of 4..I know the Weightwatchers pro-pointed them as 1PP each.

If they are 1PP each, then they are around 40kcal. I think you guys count your syns per cals? Failing that, if you pick up a pack, check the cals on the back :)

Lost my 2 lbs that I had aimed for and have now lost half a stone. Am delighted. But I've a tricky 2 weekends coming up...so have to be careful and stick to my guns.
    I was out for lunch with some friends today - I ordered the soup (Tomato & pepper with a small brown grain roll) but one of my friends got a sambo with chips and was offering the chips. I was tempted but knew I could not just take one...so didn't budge. Paid off in the end with my weigh in. Good luck everyone else.

• Advertisement

Thinking that I may take up the whole Slimming World diet. I've been trying to eat a lot healthier of late and lose a little weight (3 years of eating crap and drinking in college has left me with the start of a small belly) but being doing it by watching what I eat and to be honest the whole weighing how much I eat and then working out the calories, protein, fat, etc is annoying. I have been exercising every day, going for either a brisk 30 minute walk or else a more leisurely 1-2 hour walk.

My mom has been doing the SW for the past month and lost a good bit of weight and from what I've seen it's not a diet so much as a more healthy way to eat which is exactly what I'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

robo wrote: »
    Lost my 2 lbs that I had aimed for and have now lost half a stone. Am delighted. But I've a tricky 2 weekends coming up...so have to be careful and stick to my guns.
    I was out for lunch with some friends today - I ordered the soup (Tomato & pepper with a small brown grain roll) but one of my friends got a sambo with chips and was offering the chips. I was tempted but knew I could not just take one...so didn't budge. Paid off in the end with my weigh in. Good luck everyone else.
    i find myself looking at what other people are eating and thinking to myself "do you know how many syns are in that", i would even be watching people filling their trolleys and i am sure i have a shocked look on my face:eek: i was down 1 pound last night, was happy enough as my totm is on its way:rolleyes:

Fursttimer wrote: »

I joined Slimming World last summer (July) and to date I have lost over 5st.

Being a male, it wasn't easy attending classes at first (I was the only male amongst 60 females).

Personally, I don't see SW as a diet, it's far from it. It basically trains you to eat healthy, exercise regularly and actually enjoy your foods rather then indulge.

My entire lifestyle has changed dramatically, for the better :)

To anyone experiencing set-back or failing to understand the concept of SW, then speak to your consultant in person. Alternatively, get your books out and read them, again, and again. I'm at Slimming World over 7 months and read my book daily ;)

I take it you mean the sw bashing posts. Its too be expected and no point in taking any heed, some posters in this forum like nothing better than to tell you how wrong your eating plan is and how right theirs is. Thankfully they are in the minority and most regular posters are happy when asked to give constructive advice but not in a judgemental manner.

whelan1 wrote: »
    i find myself looking at what other people are eating and thinking to myself "do you know how many syns are in that", i would even be watching people filling their trolleys and i am sure i have a shocked look on my face:eek: i was down 1 pound last night, was happy enough as my totm is on its way:rolleyes:

I went out and got a salad for my lunch. But was thinking about the syns in my old lunches (chicken fillet baguette with mayo & chedder cheese melting & a bag of King crisps)...felt better getting my salad bowl.
    Or yesterday when I was out for lunch, I could see all the fab dishes with about half a week of syns in them being delivered to other diners...it just doesn't make sense to order them.

I felt releived last night when I got my first half stone sticker (reward) and I just think back to that feeling and how much I want it again in a few weeks time, but I gotta be good. So I try my best to plan delicous dinners at home. Tonight is syn-free chips and chicken wings (no skin) with Frank's hot sauce. Then will also chop up a melon and pick at it all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Katrina101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am new to the forum, just wanted to say this thread has helped me decide to join SW. I joined online last night and am looking forward to losing some weight!!
    Just wanted to know, is it possible to save some of your daily syns allowance to use at the weekend. I would like to save 5 syns per day, to have a bottle of wine at the weekend, is this allowed? I am worried it will slow /stop the weight loss.
    Thanks for your feedback!! Good luck to all for your net weigh in!!
    Thanks,
    Kat

Welcome!
    It isn't possible to save your syns doesn't really work like that I'm afraid. If you do your eating plan 100% on either side of that bottle of wine then at least you would have done some damage control and should be ok!
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Just wondering how does Slimming world work, how much are classes etc, Im doing well with WW lost 21 pounds I do like the program Im losing slow and steady and Im ok with that as Im feeding a baby, but my leader is not the best at all,she never remembers Im feeding and today told me I needed to track better to lose more weight :cool: any information would be great!

There are loads of new mothers in my class who have the whole feeding issues and SW covers that by allowing them more healthy extras as well...they need it! The consultant talks it over with you.
    The Niece wrote: »

When I come in from work in the evenings, I want some quick and filling

What else could I do??

Do you have a slow cooker? You could have some meat and veg ready for you when you walk in the door. Or any chance you could get into the habit of cooking something extra the night before so that way you have something to nibble on when you land in?

I'm loving those plastic roasting bags sooo handy. Chop up some chicken fillets, peppers, onions or whatever veg ye like even frozen veg and throw in your own spices(or you could use a season shake packet but it has syns so you would have to count that). Throw all ingredients into the special plastic roasting bags(pack of 10 or 12 can be got in heatons for €2) and pop into a cassorle dish and into oven for half hour or 45mins. Add pasta to that or some steamed baby potatoes which shouldn't take too long. In fact I throw the baby potatoes into the bag too!:D
    dont agree with this, i was 100% last week, ran 5k 5 times during the week, no alcohol and was up 2lb... then there where people who where out friday, saturday and sunday that where down 5lb , explain??????????
    no that will be this week:mad:

That's very annoying when that happens! But every woman is different and water retention is a cause of it and even more so when you start exercising more. Would you drink alot of water? Because you definitely have to increase it alot if you exercise so your body won't hold onto as much water to cool down yer muscles! Those people may be down 5lb this week but next week they could have 5lb on as a result of all their outings wait and see!
    this week i just dont seem to be able to feel full! ive been tryin to eat loads of fruit and yogurts but they dont seem to take the edge off like they used to!! just having a hungry week!! : (

i just dont want to lose the motivation this week.

Have you tried the chocolate philadelphia? Alot of folks are making a chocolate scan bran "cake" of sorts. It gives you the chocolate hit while getting your scan bran in(if you use the scan bran as your healthy extra)

I find myself doing that too! :D Congrats on the 1 pound down I was the same amount down this week so happy it was a minus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I started this last week (just doing it at home) and had my first weigh in on Sunday and was down 5lbs so was very happy.

The thing I am finding most difficult is cutting down on the chocolate.

Last night was my first night going out for dinner since I started and I have sushi and beef terriyaki, not sure if they are good or not. But then I blew it by having Ben & Jerry's in the cinema!!

Just one quick question (will have more tomorrow probably) but I have bran flakes / all bran for breakfast with low-fat milk and a piece of fruit. Does this mean I can't have bread or that I can have it but need to Syn it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Whoa this has gotton really busy since I last posted on it.

well I'm a stone lighter and it'll be gone forever if I have anything to do with it!

The superfree has been so easy to get in. I do always have my syns too. Once I got my stone off I did take a weekend to myself and went a bit mad. But I went back on track.

Todays syns : cadbury cream egg. 9 syns, but absolutely gorgeous!!

kitten_k wrote: »
    I started this last week (just doing it at home) and had my first weigh in on Sunday and was down 5lbs so was very happy.

Last night was my first night going out for dinner since I started and I have sushi and beef terriyaki, not sure if they are good or not. But then I blew it by having Ben & Jerry's in the cinema!!

Just one quick question (will have more tomorrow probably) but I have bran flakes / all bran for breakfast with low-fat milk and a piece of fruit. Does this mean I can't have bread or that I can have it but need to Syn it?
    yup you will need to syn the bread, make sure you weigh your cereal

kitten_k wrote: »

If you are on extra easy that is correct but if you are on either of the other two plans then you are allowed 2 HEXAs and 2HEXBs but other food is limited. Check out tonis post a couple of pages back it explains all plans really well.

Thanks. Am doing the extra easy.

Made the chicken curry last night with egg fired rice. It was ok, the taste of the yogurt in it was a bit strong so think I will use less yogurt the next time.

• Advertisement

Did you use yogurt in the curry? The one I make is gorgeous but I dont use yogurt, just chicken, loads of veg, stock cube, tin of tomatoes cumin and curry powder. Dont be afraid to tweak recipes to suit yourself.

I made a beef stir fry during the week and it to was fab. Just strips of beef loads of veg, lots of soy sauce, garlic, lazy chilli and some canderel sweetner. It was easy to make and had it with noodles.

Yes used it in the curry. Used the receipe on the website so used chicken, onions, lots of different spices and then at the end added the yogurt. Then had more veg going through the rice. After that I had a kiwi.

Going to try the lasagne tonight with a salad.

Are all Muller Light yogurts free?

no, think the cheeses cake ones have syns and the cherry oe afaik

But the normal fruit ones are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

They should be ok but watch out for the rhubarb one and also the banana and custard one, I think they have syns. I'm eating potatoes, cauliflower, peas carrots and some grilled chicken drumsticks less the fat!

Yummy! Never has a diet been so good!

I'm not following the slimming world diet to the tee but have been eating far better than ever before. Also going for a walk every day, started out at just 20 minutes now they can last for 2 hours. Since starting two weeks back I've lost over half a stone and should have my first stone lost in another week and a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hannah2011

Hi all - joined SW on thurs, so different from WW and I think i'm having difficulty getting my head around that. Afraid to eat anything! But I planned out a whole three course meal for Sunday and it only has 1 syn in the whole lot! Found that I haven't eaten many Syns, only 5 today but I think that will increase. There are so many things that are free - like spaghetti hoops..yummy and have also got all the stuff in for a big yummy free brekkie tomorrow.

I think the most difficult thing will be eating out, seems key is to prepare the food yourself.

Anyone know where I can buy Quark? Couldn't see it in Dunnes today.

quark is in most super valu's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

Hey everyone hope ye are all enjoying the bank holdiay weekend.

Well I haven't posted here in weeks, but I have been checking in regularly to see all the progress you are all doing so well.

So I'm still very much on the WW wagon but I tell you getting rid of this last bit of weight is getting so so hard. I've followed the plan religiously I've done all the things I normally advise other people to do and still had nada for a number of weeks in a row!

I had 3 weeks of STS then I lost a lb then put up a lb and all for no good reason. 3 weeks ago I thought right enough is enough I can't keep at this and 5 weeks later be no better off so I've dropped down my points and thankfully so far it's working. I was down 2lbs the first week a lb last week and another lb this week :D

I'm now 10st 11lb's i'm 4lbs from my original goal weight but realistically I want to get down to 9st 9lb or 11lbs so that I have a few pounds as a buffer.

I guess the reason I'm posting is to just say to anyone that's having a tough time keep the faith, I did no matter how bloody frustrating it was, I worked the program, I changed my foods around, I increased exercise and I didn't binge or fall of the wagon in any way even though I felt like it and even though I was getting all that STS then the lb off and then a bloody lb back up. I didn't post here about it because (a) I didn't want to be a moaning mini and (b) and no offense here ladies and gents but most of the posters here have only started in the last few months so having a 5 week plateau is not really the same as a one or two week blip, alot of the oldies don't post any more and as I'm now 14 months into this journey I needed to just work through it myself. I didn't want to be dragging the oldies down with me either even though I know some of you have hit walls yourselves.

I'm 38lbs down now and so so happy about it I'm nearly about to break out of the 150lb bracket and get 40lbs gone. I've said it umpteen times and I'll say it again - this is a marathon not a sprint and it is for the long haul the weight didn't go on overnight and it won't fall off overnight either. I'm lighter now than I ever remember being before and I actually feel and look so much better than ever (sorry if that sound's conceited I don't mean it to at all!) My brain has finally caught up with my body and when I look in the mirror now I actually believe and can see i've lost those 38lbs and it feels great.

All the 1/2 lb losses really add up and even with all those STS I've had to endure over that 14 months I've still managed to get that much weight off.

Oh and if anyone is wondering how I dropped points. I earn about 15- 18pp per week through exercise mostly running and a little bit of resistance work (but i've been doing that since week 1). I eat max 30 weeklies per week and monday to Thursday eat 26pp a day rather than my 29 and that seems to have shocked my body into action. I've decreased 'treats' from my PP allowance and increased my protein and my fruit intake so hopefully it continues to work!

Maggie May I loved your post re STS = some time soon. It really made me smile and is actually very very true!

Enjoy the bank holiday weekend, and to all the mammies out there have a lovely mammies day tomorrow! Go have a little treat ye deserve it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement