Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Welcome back McChubbin, wishing you the best of luck!
    My number one tip would be to reward yourself for losses, for example a manicure or a massage or a day out or a small piece of jewelry or whatever for each half stone or each stone or whenever you reach a certain interim target - for example, I bought myself a nice necklace when I could finally see collarbone!! Try not to reward yourself with a food or drink blowout - I see a lot of people yoyoing because of taking that approach.
    Also, take measurements all over your body before you start and use the inch losses as a source of motivation if and when your losses don't seem to show on the scales or in the mirror.
    Donating your clothes as you outgrow them (or whatever the opposite of outgrow is!) is a great idea too, kind of symbolic of the intention of never fitting in them again.
    I reached my target before Christmas and I've been finding it hard to keep at that weight - I'm about 7 pounds above my target weight now - but I'm still fitting in all my clothes and I look the same so I'm not too bothered... I'm so much happier, fitter and healthier now, but would love to get back to my target, I've fallen into the habit of exceeding my syns by a couple most days. Hopefully I will convince myself to cop on and get back on plan 100% in the coming weeks!
    Best of luck again, it sounds like you're ready to go at it all guns blazing. Beware of paying too much attention to MyFitnessPal, I found that it encouraged me into the habit of restricting calories too much (obviously not the case for everyone, but it didn't help me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Cheers, Dee. I'll update when I come back from my first meeting. I feel it's good that this thread exists as it's great to have a bit of online support. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Non scales victory (well, two victories!).

Boyfriend hadn't really paid attention to my weight or noticed losses. Until this morning when he said I have a class arse now and my stomach is shrinking.

Took measurements last night - down 4 inches on the waist, 2 on each thigh, 4 around the underbust and 1.5 on each upper arm. Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Back in Slimming World as of last week.
    Was a target member in 2014, had a baby in 2015, have lost half the baby weight but am struggling with the last 18lbs so I decided to go back to Slimming World as it worked so well for me last time.
    Only thing that's worrying me is that I'm finding it alot harder to get excerise in with 2 children which played a big role in my weight loss last time. But sure I'll give it my best go & see how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

McChubbin wrote: »
    So, after much deliberation and thought, I have decided to bite the bullet and give Slimming World another go.
    I've tried it in the past several years ago and whilst I lost about 1.5 stone, I had trouble maintaining and got so disheartened that I ended up jacking it in. Welp, the weight I lost piled back on with added extras and I shudder to think of what size I am now as I avoid scales like the plague. I'll find out on Thursday night but I have a strong, dreaded feeling that I'm over 24 stone/336lbs.
    My main problem is being motivated enough to follow the plan but I have two goals in mind this time around:

1: I will be 30 years old in two years time and I'd rather not like a repeat of what happened at my 21st birthday- I looked like a beached whale with a dodgy bowlcut in every photograph and rather than look back on the night with fond memories, I instead cringe at the thought. I've spent most of my adult like yo-yoing and spending way too much money on diet clubs and weight management programs. (Motivation being one of them but that's a story for a different thread) I want to be proud of how I look in photographs, especially with this milestone birthday coming up and I figured two years is plenty of time to get cracking.

2: I also have an invite to the wedding of a very close family friend and whilst I have no intention of outshining the bride on her big day, I'd ideally like to wear a dress that doesn't resemble a tent and is somewhat stylish- hard to do when you're a size 22/24 these days. :/

So, yup, I try to keep all this in mind when I get sugar/junk cravings. I keep telling myself of my goals and try to stay away from the crap food but I do need some help. With that in mind, I've started keeping a food diary as they've worked for me in the past.
    I have mixed feelings about MyFitnessPal but it IS handy for keeping track of calorie content and daily allowances.

I know I have a long way to go but I'm being cautiously optimistic towards this second round of SW. I hope it will work for me.

McChubbin, fair play to ya for rejoining.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but the more a person weighs, the easier it can be to lose a good bit at the beginning and that can spur you on to keep going. Very best of luck xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Best of luck on your new journey McChubbin. It's taken me approx. 2 years to reach kind of my target area. Be kind to yourself, its easy to beat yourself up on SW. I echo everything Dee said about the small victories and rewarding yourself.

Says me, eating a SW tiramisu, just 4 syns!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Non scales victory (well, two victories!).

Boyfriend hadn't really paid attention to my weight or noticed losses. Until this morning when he said I have a class arse now and my stomach is shrinking.

Took measurements last night - down 4 inches on the waist, 2 on each thigh, 4 around the underbust and 1.5 on each upper arm. Boom.

Those measurements are serious losses!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Just wondering if anyone has been to any classes in Blackrock/Mahon, Cork.

Thinking of going tonight just wondering if the group is any good.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Oh he's paying attention alright. He just doesn't want to be a dick and point out you didn't allows looks so well... Trust me, it's a very, very treacherous line to tread.

"You look great! :eek:, not that you haven't always looked great :o But you know, better now ;) but I always thought you were perfect anyway :("

"Want to go shopping? :confused: "

Those measurements are serious losses!!!

It's strange though, in weight I've only lost 1 and a half stone! I exercised an awful lot until I slipped a disk though, so that might have helped with inch losses :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It's strange though, in weight I've only lost 1 and a half stone! I exercised an awful lot until I slipped a disk though, so that might have helped with inch losses :)

Maybe some of the fat you lost was replaced by muscle weight. So although you are smaller, and your fat is going, you have good weight.

Dodge wrote: »
    Oh he's paying attention alright. He just doesn't want to be a dick and point out you didn't allows looks so well... Trust me, it's a very, very treacherous line to tread.

"You look great! :eek:, not that you haven't always looked great :o But you know, better now ;) but I always thought you were perfect anyway :("

"Want to go shopping? :confused: "

haha! Nah, he's never been afraid to say if I look bad! He insults me every time I tie my hair up because he hates it :pac: he genuinely just didn't notice til recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

A pound off, is better than a pound on!

Oh didn't mean to seem ungrateful...but I had hadnt used syns for alot of the days and had so much speed...even brought a bag of fruit with me to blanch shopping so I wouldn't be tempted by a burger king. .the other weeks I had bigger losses so was very disappointed with the one pound..hopefully it will show on the scales this week

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Oh didn't mean to seem ungrateful...but I had hadnt used syns for alot of the days and had so much speed...even brought a bag of fruit with me to blanch shopping so I wouldn't be tempted by a burger king. .the other weeks I had bigger losses so was very disappointed with the one pound..hopefully it will show on the scales this week

Lashes, I lost over 5 stone with Slimming World and I always found that the weeks where I went too far with speed foods and restricted my syns, I lost less weight. Try doing it 'by the book', make sure you stick to the 'one third speed' rule and see how you go. Don't be disappointed by a lower than usual loss - it's often followed by a larger than usual loss!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Lashes, I lost over 5 stone with Slimming World and I always found that the weeks where I went too far with speed foods and restricted my syns, I lost less weight. Try doing it 'by the book', make sure you stick to the 'one third speed' rule and see how you go. Don't be disappointed by a lower than usual loss - it's often followed by a larger than usual loss!

This. I actually ate too much speed.

On my third week, I ate 1/3 speed with every meal religiously, 10 syns or less each day. I wasn't bloated and feeling horrible, and only lost 1/2lb.

I stopped having any speed at breakfast, and just had 1/3 with lunch and dinner the following week. Bloating disappeared in about 3 days and I lost 4.5lbs.

You can have too much speed. 1/3 of every meal is a great aim but it simply doesn't work for everyone. I was having say bacon and eggs for breakfast, and also having strawberries and raspberries for speed. I wasn't even hungry eating them, so I cut it out at breakfast and my losses got bigger!

I do roughly 1/3 speed with every meal - probably a little more than 1/3 with dinner because I love my veg now, and none with my late evening snack (fat free Greek yogurt and chocolate!)

dee_mc wrote: »
    I do roughly 1/3 speed with every meal - probably a little more than 1/3 with dinner because I love my veg now, and none with my late evening snack (fat free Greek yogurt and chocolate!)

Yeah tbh I think it just depends on the person.

For me, before sw I basically ate veg once a week and never ate fruit (still very rarely eat fruit, I hate fruit!). So for me, going from practically no veg/fruit, to loads with every single meal just didn't agree with my body.

I could probably eat 1/3 with every meal now I'm used to it, but so far my losses are steady thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Joined sw about two weeks ago, had 5lb loss last week but had a horrid week last week n I know I've gained.. I checked yesterday and I gained 3.5 lbs! My motivation is like a roller coaster.. I'm still gonna go to the meeting tonight because I need it! Do you think it'd be ok if I said I didn't want to be weighed?

Makapakka wrote: »
    Joined sw about two weeks ago, had 5lb loss last week but had a horrid week last week n I know I've gained.. I checked yesterday and I gained 3.5 lbs! My motivation is like a roller coaster.. I'm still gonna go to the meeting tonight because I need it! Do you think it'd be ok if I said I didn't want to be weighed?

Get weighed, it won't be as bad as you're expecting. Your home scales are most likely wrong.

I had a scales say I'd gained 4lbs one day, in class the next day I'd actually lost 2.5, so a 6.5lb difference!

Even if you've had a gain, its better to know and work it off, rather than just go in and refuse to be weighed.

And don't weigh at home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Everyone is different, I would probably lose weight if I didn't eat close to 15 syns but I somehow can't seem to curb my sweet tooth lately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Makapakka wrote: »

You can get weighed but ask the consultant not to call out you weight gain, I've done this a few times when I've gained a bit and all my consultant says in group is that I've had a gain and she talks me through why it happened which really helps.
    Tbh there's no point going to group if your not going to get weighed as that's the whole point? Even if you are up 3.5 lbs just remember you're down 1.5lbs in 2 weeks and that's great :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I done so well the first week (3lb down) but have had a crazy busy three weeks with dinners out, weekends away etc. Back at it since Monday so hoping I haven't gained too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

And don't weigh at home!!

This x1000 . I got rid of my scales at home cos it demotivated me so many times :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

You can ask to be blind weighed, where they write it down but don't tell you. Might be an idea if you feel like you'll be demotivated by the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Hi I am new here what would you have say for breakfast lunch and dinner? Just to give me some ideas thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi I am new here what would you have say for breakfast lunch and dinner? Just to give me some ideas thanks

My breakfast most mornings, well weekdays mornings is 2 eggs scrambled and some melon and strawberries. Lunch can be a mix of some chicken or ham, with some homemade soup or maybe just hard boiled eggs, then a yoghurt and fruit. Or it could be some leftover dinner from night before.

Im not a great salad eater but salad would be a good lunch choice, or if you eat bread you could have beans on toast (healthy b option).

Dinner ranges from chilli and rice, spag bol, beans and chips, omelette. All slimming world recipes of course.
    So many recipes out there and on their website. You should check them ot. Everyone has different tastes. I don't eat any fish at all and im not great with veg so i pick things that i like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Not a breakfast eater at all,never have been so most days it's usually just a mug of tea.

Lunch is normally eggs of some description (poached/scrambled/fried) on 2 slices of pat the baker 58cal bread with beans and a piece of fruit. Or leftovers from yesterday's dinner.

Dinner can be diet cola chicken, spaghetti bolognese, slimming world lasagne, sweet and sour crispy chicken, chicken fajitas, SW cheese and bacon burgers on a sandwich thin or be good roll with SW chips. I eat a lot of chicken so some days it's just that stir fried with rice and mushrooms. I'm not a potato eater so I live on rice with most of my dinners, which my sister can't understand especially when I cook boiled ham and have that with turnip and rice but hey it's what I like!

I use 250ml of low fat milk as my healthy a and bread as my healthy b. I weigh 40g of low low cheese and syn that 2/3 times a week and always keep 5 Syns everyday for my 9pm cuppa so I can have a freddo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Usually eggs and bacon with lots of berries for breakfast. Or 35g of porridge with water and lots of berries. Or egg on toast.

Lunch is usually home made tomato soup. Cous cous, peppers, onions & grated carrot, chicken or salmon, salad leaves and some bread if I haven't used it earlier as my heb. Or mug shots if I'm too busy. Omelette is good if you didn't have eggs in the morning.

Dinner is lots of stir fried veg in a spaghetti Bol, or Caribbean pepperpot stew, or beef stew, or chicken stir fry with noodles. There are loads of recipes on the app or in magazines.

Freddo is a nice snack or a curly wurly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Going on hols to the sun in the next few weeks anyone any tips on how to stay on plan? I know I'll be drinking so I expect to put on weight but how to limit it to 2-3 pounds??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Blingy wrote: »
    Going on hols to the sun in the next few weeks anyone any tips on how to stay on plan? I know I'll be drinking so I expect to put on weight but how to limit it to 2-3 pounds??

Enjoy your holidays and try no to worry too much! I'm heading to the states for 3 weeks and am starting to worry about gaining a huge amount. I suppose the basics like drink a lot of water, eat as much speed food as you can when you can and walk as much a you can! But holidays don't happen every week so try enjoy them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement