Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TimeisPrecious

I joined slimming world few months ago but I found the classes not really that helpful. I didn't like that they go through how much weight each person loses during the class.. Is it normally like this? Do they ever give helpful tips and tricks for succeeding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,241 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I joined slimming world few months ago but I found the classes not really that helpful. I didn't like that they go through how much weight each person loses during the class.. Is it normally like this? Do they ever give helpful tips and tricks for succeeding ?
    I suppose it takes a bit of getting used to, but I pick up great tips off others in the class. Each class is different and maybe if you switched to another one you might pick up more tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They should do. The bit were they go through each persons result is supposed to be a chance to see what went right/wrong with their week. I find our group helpful but most people don't stay for the group so it isn't to everyone's taste

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Personally I'd rather chip away at it even if it's just half a pound a week and have something that I can sustain long term then cutting out bread/pasta/rice etc to get a loss. I can feel and see the difference in my clothes so don't get bogged down by what the scales say. There's people there stones heavier than me - so if they're losing 3 or 4lbs a week I'm delighted for him but I don't have that much to loose so I've never compared my weight loss to theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,241 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Dodge wrote: »
    They should do. The bit were they go through each persons result is supposed to be a chance to see what went right/wrong with their week. I find our group helpful but most people don't stay for the group so it isn't to everyone's taste
    yes but they are paying 9 euro just to be weighed then, I prefer to get value for my 9 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I hate the mentality if you follow SP, you will lose loads, I am not one of these people, never have been, I just don't lose big amounts and that's fine.. as long as I have a loss today, I will be happy :D

Rome wasn't built in a day and I need the thought someone else is weighing me to keep me motivated, if I have to do it myself, I just won't do it. I don't buy the bars or magazine anymore. I gave up buying the raffle tickets as well. I just regularly buy the countdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I hate that mentality too Vahevala.. I am happy for my 1/1.5 lb a week now as I see it's shifting!
    I have joined weight watchers and even slimming world more times than I care to remember and gave up if I didn't see results straightaway, this time I joined accepting that it will be a slow process and that it's a lifestyle change, not a fad diet.
    I joined in April and I am 2.4 stone down and I hope to be at my final target by Christmas or thereabouts, if I'm not, I'll deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

whelan2 wrote: »
    yes but they are paying 9 euro just to be weighed then, I prefer to get value for my 9 euro

Absolutely. If it wasn't for the meetings I think I'd do it on my own at hme without any SW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I agree that there's far too much sugar encouraged, like cereal bars being promoted as a viable alternative to a good wholemeal bread(!). Overall though, if I ignore the sugar and use my syns on fats instead I find it a very sustainable way to lose weight. I still have either my bread or high fibre cereal once a day, and I have no problem with reasonable portions of rice, pasta and potatoes with my evening meal. I also enjoy the flexibility of saving syns if I know I'm going out to dinner, or having a few drinks. It fits in perfectly with real life which is why it works for me. I'm happier to take a slower loss because I'm not going to binge every week due to hunger/deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

I was up 2.5lb today, didn't drink as much water, had to take more of my strong painkillers and just ate too much in general so a combo of those things is never good. I don't mind putting a few pounds on every now and again, keeps me on the straight and narrow, if I had a loss this week I probably would have done the exact same this week and been in much worse shape next week. I know what I did wrong and time to cop myself on now again today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Down 2lbs today. I've got a great leader and learn something new each week. I pick up some great nuggets from other members as the weekly weights are talked about. It's often the case that if someone says they're struggling other members will give advice and encouragement to them.

Some weeks the leader doesn't go round the room discussing the losses etc, today she didn't but spoke at length about exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 pixel pixie

Hi, new to SW and I just have a question or two about the SP plan if you don't mind... I know you're only suppost to have S & P food but can you use the 1 cal cooking spray, herbs & spices or stock? Could I make S only veg soup (with stock etc) or a stew type dinner and don't have the spuds?

Hi, new to SW and I just have a question or two about the SP plan if you don't mind... I know you're only suppost to have S & P food but can you use the 1 cal cooking spray, herbs & spices or stock? Could I make S only veg soup (with stock etc) or a stew type dinner and don't have the spuds?

Good question... I've never heard anybody saying they couldn't use the spray oil during sp so I'd imagine you can, but maybe somebody else might know for sure!

Can anyone tell me if jalepenos are speed? I can't find them in the book..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

m'lady wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if jalepenos are speed? I can't find them in the book..

All chillies and peppers are speed :)

Great thanks Dee, had a load of them with my subway salad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Weighed in tonight and lost 2.5lbs, delighted with that, seeing as I lost the 2.5lbs gain from the previous week!

I am off to Manchester Saturday morning to watch Utd v Liverpool so will have an off plan day and will enjoy every minute... I still can't get over how I can fit the seat belt on so easily and will be grinning like a cheshire cat as I fit my seatbelt on... :D

I also bought a Lidl Parka jacket in size 12... to think I used to buy coats in size 24 or 26. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Up .5 last night which I can take. I was sick most of last weekend and then I hit the big 40 on Tuesday so had to go for a meal with family. There was cake back in my house and the next day there was cake in work. Only had a slice each time so didn't do the dog on it or anything.

Still 7lbs down in 3 weeks so happy enough. Back at it this week again with just a meal out with the OH planned for Saturday night. Now that the man flu has subsided will step up the exercise again as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

I've been on/off track for the past few weeks. Had my birthday, and then a weekend away with my other half where we got engaged :) so there has been far too much champagne and celebrations. Finally plucked up the courage this morning to weigh in and I'm down 1.5 :) Not great for about 3/4 weeks of missed weigh ins but I'm so happy. 2stone7.5lb down. And I now have a wedding to plan and a dress to think about, so my goal is June 2016 and I need to be into a size 14 so I can go dress shopping in advance of the wedding the following year. I'm a 20 at the moment. Time to think about some exercise :(

Bit of a 'nsv'! Put on a pair of jeans I hadn't worn in a few months and I literally wouldn't be able to wear them as they are way too baggy and would fall down around my knees lol... Yipeeee!

• Advertisement

Congrats Lara :D

Forgive my ignorance but what's an ncv? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Dolbert wrote: »
    Congrats Lara :D

Forgive my ignorance but what's an ncv? :O

I think that's a typo and should maybe be nsv - non scales victory! ... that's what keeps me going at times lol

Ha ha, yes I'm sorry guys, it was meant to be 'nsv'!

Ah yes, of course!

I'm in the mood for shíte food tonight, anyone got any fakeaway ideas for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Dolbert wrote: »
    Ah yes, of course!

I'm in the mood for shíte food tonight, anyone got any fakeaway ideas for me?

Noodles, Rice, and Slimming world chips. A free 3 in 1`.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Taco chips are good.

I'm having a veggie curry using mayflower curry sauce (4 syns) with noodles... Nicer than any Chinese!

I made chicken curry in the end! For the sauce I blended up a tin of beans, a tin of tomatoes, a chicken stock pot and green saffron tikka mix. Oh and a bit of glenisk Greek yoghurt as well. Really surprisingly good!

2wd13zb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RQP

Hi, I am in SW for last 6 weeks and lost 12.5 lbs... Last Thursday I weighed in and was 1lb up which shocked me as I stuck to plan and had upped exercise. The thing is though that the bloating is killing me... Anybody else experience this? Never had it before....? Any ideas. I need to relieve it... Drinking 2 litres of water a day.... No bread... Eating all veg and fruit.... Just wondering what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

RQP wrote: »
    Hi, I am in SW for last 6 weeks and lost 12.5 lbs... Last Thursday I weighed in and was 1lb up which shocked me as I stuck to plan and had upped exercise. The thing is though that the bloating is killing me... Anybody else experience this? Never had it before....? Any ideas. I need to relieve it... Drinking 2 litres of water a day.... No bread... Eating all veg and fruit.... Just wondering what's going on.

Too much fibre can cause bloating, maybe look at your fruit and veg intake - beans, peas, berries, wholegrains etc are all high in fibre, as are squash, bananas, apples and pears. Maybe you could rebalance which foods you're eating on which days and see if that helps with the bloating?
    Celery is great to relieve bloating, and natural yogurt helps too.
    Also, it seems to be normal for some ladies to have a small gain or maintain the week of their period or the week they ovulate (different for every woman) so don't fret too much about your little gain.
    Congrats on your loss so far, you must be delighted!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement