Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Absolute garbage support acts for slane. Shocking stuff to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd gladly swap Otherkin for Phil Campbell & The Bastard Sons, don't see why MCD felt the need to tack on the token Irish band.

You'd think they'd have taken at look at the Download Festival and managed to have gotten 1 or 2 bands to come here before Download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

There's hope yet

Don't get your hopes up like that, you'll only end up disappointed.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up like that, you'll only end up disappointed.

Sure in the immortal words of the legendry H from Steps "you got to reach for the stars" :D:D:D

Its gas, of the five members youd b putting money on rejoining Izzy would of been a safe enough bet considering he was intermittently popping up as a guest in recent years tours with Axl .
    As for Slash.... even t shirts of Slash were frowned upon!!
    I think Duff only guested once before
    And then stood in for Tommy on a South American leg of the last lets call it new gnr tour. Which probably planted the seed of Axl begining to warm to the idea of a reunion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sure in the immortal words of the legendry H from Steps "you got to reach for the stars" :D:D:D

Its gas, of the five members youd b putting money on rejoining Izzy would of been a safe enough bet considering he was intermittently popping up as a guest in recent years tours with Axl .
    As for Slash.... even t shirts of Slash were frowned upon!!
    I think Duff only guested once before
    And then stood in for Tommy on a South American leg of the last lets call it new gnr tour. Which probably planted the seed of Axl begining to warm to the idea of a reunion

Sure Jaysus, did I see today Steps are back together? It's in the air!

F***in Steps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I listened to Appetite for Destruction for the first time in about a decade yesterday. It sounds very dated.

I listened to Appetite for Destruction for the first time in about a decade yesterday. It's the best thing ever.

Fixed that there.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Fixed that there.
    I wouldn't go that far now ;) It's still a good album though (and their only good one).

I wouldn't go that far now ;) It's still a good album though (and their only good one).

I hear, ya dude.

Best thing ever.

Totally agree.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I listened to Appetite for Destruction for the first time in about a decade yesterday. It sounds very dated.

Dated, i was only talking with a mate the other day how fresh it still sounds after 30yrs, best debut album ever, in the history of ever IMO

opinions here will be fairly biased but "dated" compared to what ?
    Maybe at a push some parts of Think about you and Anything goes could be argued as mid80s hair metal but the rest of the songs ...if Appetite were released today it'd be hailed as the saviour of rock music again
    In my humble opinion of course
    Maybe you just need a new copy of Appetite for Destruction

opinions here will be fairly biased but "dated" compared to what ?
    Maybe at a push some parts of Think about you and Anything goes could be argued as mid80s hair metal but the rest of the songs ...if Appetite were released today it'd be hailed as the saviour of rock music again
    In my humble opinion of course
    Maybe you just need a new copy of Appetite for Destruction
    Dated compared to an album like Songs About ****ing by Big Black, which was released the same year, and still sounds far more menacing than Appetite for Destruction nearly 30 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dated compared to an album like Songs About ****ing by Big Black, which was released the same year, and still sounds far more menacing than Appetite for Destruction nearly 30 years later.

Even by reading the title that sounds like a sh*te album. Who the hell are that band anyway, even people who don't like Guns n Roses know about them.

fin12 wrote: »
    Even by reading the title that sounds like a sh*te album. Who the hell are that band anyway, even people who don't like Guns n Roses know about them.
    People around here know very little about music.

Let's just say that one bands front man went on to become a fat diva, storming off stage, while another bands front man went on to become a renowned producer, working with bands like Pixies and Nirvana.

Let's just say that one bands front man went on to become a fat diva, storming off stage, while another bands front man went on to become a renowned producer, working with bands like Pixies and Nirvana.

Its not realy a dick waving competition about who's band is best what are you 12
    Big Black have their rightfull place as a ground breaking band
    The fact is that Appetite for destruction is the best selling debut album if all time and 30 yrs later in an age if sarcin manufactured music thats not bad and testament to the music scene of the late 80s early 90s
    The fact Axl in the eyes of the media grew into an over weight diva has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that in his 20s he had one if the most recognisable and distinguishable rock voices on the planet
    And along with Slash Duff Steven and Izzy made a brilliant album that bridged the gap between not for radio rock and radio friendly rock that appealed to the masses and still does .
    not that I think that was their intention 30 yr ago

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

I think the thread should be reserved just for you to post and educate everyone.

You have an amazing talent, you can judge people's music knowledge without meeting them. I bow to you sir. Genius x

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

I suppose the fact that it sold out resulted in crap support bands by the organizers-p1ss poor

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

ROY RACE wrote: »
    I suppose the fact that it sold out resulted in crap support bands by the organizers-p1ss poor

Royal Blood are probably one of the better support bands any gig this country will get in a long time, a new album, the fuss will be huge cos they're quality. Mark Lanegan is also a well known name who has a long history in rock music and history with GNR members, his only problem is a huge outdoor field is not the place to see him. Having a local band then is what every Slane has done, I don't know them but it appears they'll take the opportunity and give it everything.

So quite the opposite of piss poor!

I've had to rethink my position on the opening bands for Slane, Royal Blood for a 2 piece band are impressive, also anyone who has seen them live, is it just the pair of them onstage or do they have a backing band with them?

Still working my way through Mark Lanegan's stuff, as for Otherkin, besides them being a local band, this is a HUGE opportunity for them, can only imagine their reaction when they were told they'd be opening for Guns N' Roses.

Also I'm assuming the order for the day will be Otherkin, Mark Lanegan, Royal Blood, Guns N' Roses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm actually starting to get excited about the gig now.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm actually starting to get excited about the gig now.

Same here, I'm just hoping they mix up the set list a bit.

Same here, I'm just hoping they mix up the set list a bit.

yeah hopefully a few new songs or at least move stuff around. I think ISE as the opener is a given and paradise city to close the show is also a given.

I was just looking through slash's book again and landed on the UYI tour chapter. How the hell did he get what happened and how it happened at the st louis riot show so wrong ? There is video footage of what slash did.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I've had to rethink my position on the opening bands for Slane, Royal Blood for a 2 piece band are impressive, also anyone who has seen them live, is it just the pair of them onstage or do they have a backing band with them?

Still working my way through Mark Lanegan's stuff, as for Otherkin, besides them being a local band, this is a HUGE opportunity for them, can only imagine their reaction when they were told they'd be opening for Guns N' Roses.

Also I'm assuming the order for the day will be Otherkin, Mark Lanegan, Royal Blood, Guns N' Roses.

Royal Blood are just the two piece on stage. Although depending on the new album it may change.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    yeah hopefully a few new songs or at least move stuff around. I think ISE as the opener is a given and paradise city to close the show is also a given.

I was just looking through slash's book again and landed on the UYI tour chapter. How the hell did he get what happened and how it happened at the st louis riot show so wrong ? There is video footage of what slash did.

I don't know about new songs, Easy & Paradise City will respectively remain where they are, rest of the set list - free for all, maybe some stuff off of Chinese Democracy, deep cuts from Illusions. But it'll be definitely be the same set list from last months gig in Dubai.

As for Slash getting it wrong about the St. Louis riot, simply put - down to copious amounts of booze & drugs, hell they could go through bottles of vodka while waiting for Axl.

I don't know about new songs, Easy & Paradise City will respectively remain where they are, rest of the set list - free for all, maybe some stuff off of Chinese Democracy, deep cuts from Illusions. But it'll be definitely be the same set list from last months gig in Dubai.

As for Slash getting it wrong about the St. Louis riot, simply put - down to copious amounts of booze & drugs, hell they could go through bottles of vodka while waiting for Axl.

Yeah you're right. The fact it's the first show of a leg of a tour it probably won't be that adventurous.

Well, axl had to get himself into the right frame of mind to play or so he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I'm hoping axl doesn't sound like sh*t,
    He always takes a while to get going ,being the first leg after a break he might need a few shows to warm the pipes back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,979 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im surprised I have Guns N' Roses: Not In This Lifetime Tour GOLD Circle B Ticket on adverts for sale and no interest.

Thought it be easy to sell by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Headshot wrote: »
    Im surprised I have Guns N' Roses: Not In This Lifetime Tour GOLD Circle B Ticket on adverts for sale and no interest.

Thought it be easy to sell by now.

Ya but we were also told it was sold out too! Not Gold circle but I bought a GA ticket on Thursday and did a search they're still available!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Actually getting excited about this gig now, really looking forward to seeing Royalblood and finally going to see Slash live...

Advertisement