Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will you put up the tree/decorations?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

allydylan wrote: »
    Emm, December 20th maybe. I hate how if you but the tree up to early, it's all dead and brown my the time Christmas day comes

Not if you have a really real looking fake tree ;-) :-P!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I was in IKEA today and they had a Christmas deco section with dressed trees and the lot. So Christmassy! Got some nice decos. Looking forward to putting them up as soon as December arrives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

The weekend nearest to the 8th dec. We make mulled wine and all our Christmas decs are very special to us. Each one means something, some we got our first year leaving together, others the year we married (3 days before Christmas!!) one that we got as presents, places we visited and some beautiful waterford crystal ones.

Putting up the tree seems to take hours longer than it should as we start remembering good times past as we look at the beautiful decs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

allydylan wrote: »
    Emm, December 20th maybe. I hate how if you but the tree up to early, it's all dead and brown my the time Christmas day comes

That's when the smell is at its best!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I usually decorate the house for Christmas on Advent Sunday :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

One of the Dunnes' in Dublin (forgive me, I don't know my street names too well yet :P (also, they probably all have the same displays!)) Had a stunning fake tree up, with these beautiful ribbons going down it like streamers. Do want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

My boyfriend is adamant that our tree won't be put up a day before December...I don't know if I can wait that long, I'm starting to get awfully excited!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If i throw the tree up around the 5th (Real tree) Will it still be fresh at christmas and for the week after???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

There's a house in my estate put theirs up yesterday. Always the same with them because they are in direct competition with the house across the road. I expect that house to have theirs up by the end of the weekend. Far too early for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Around the 6th December we decorate the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Can anybody suggest a site or shop that does good roof lights for a house

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

Hi I always put mine up for the toy show usually the last week nov first week dec. I can't wait. Will post pics that night.

Last year we had three trees, two this year me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

baraca wrote: »
    If i throw the tree up around the 5th (Real tree) Will it still be fresh at christmas and for the week after???

if you throw a couple of jugs of water over the tree, over all sides and give it a good shake before bringing it into the house it should help it to last a little longer, you can also get holders that have a little plate for water in the bottom, you only need one of those if you are really worried about it drying out, I've never had that happen to me...

I generally put of the decs around the 6th, or that weekend, I think we were about a week later last year and it was killing me - we were just too busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I have it all planned - I'm going to London from 25th - 28th November so I'm gonna put the tree up the following weekend! I'm gonna make a weekend of it - clean the house from top to bottom and then get the decs down from the attic, pop on a Christmas movie/Late Late Toy Show and go mad!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

magentas wrote: »
    My boyfriend is adamant that our tree won't be put up a day before December...I don't know if I can wait that long, I'm starting to get awfully excited!!!:D

Same here, I was VERY tempted to but a few little Christmas ornaments yesterday and just put them stratigically around the house, I still might this week...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 reafire

I live in Connecticut, USA......I used to put mine up the day after Thanksgiving. For a number of years now I do them the middle of November. I just enjoy having them up for Thanksgiving plus the stores and malls are decorated for the holidays right after Halloween, and the Xmas ads show up on TV too that time...all is ramped up for Christmas! I take them down just after Three Kings Day in January, so I get to enjoy them for a nice while. If you have kids, the earlier the better to have them up too I think (Santa's coming!).....It's your home, do as you wish, but I'd say anytime before November is too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm gonna make a weekend of it - clean the house from top to bottom and then get the decs down from the attic, pop on a Christmas movie/Late Late Toy Show and go mad!!:D

Hee hee! Yeah I'd like to make an occasion of it. Think I will put on some Christmas songs, have a glass mulled wine and have friends over.

I so can't wait to put it up though. :D
    Going to IKEA this weekend to buy some more decorations.
    They have this gorgeous fake tree that would look brilliant on some shelf somewhere, with some baubles:

fejka-artificial-potted-plant__0122474_PE278813_S4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The IKEA stuff is lovely, and that fake tree that you linked to is really amazing in the flesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

The earliest I ever put it up was the 25th of Nov and I still get slagged for it:o So now I wait for December. I always have it up before the toy show though.
    This year will be my first yr getting a real tree I really hope it lasts the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

The IKEA stuff is lovely, and that fake tree that you linked to is really amazing in the flesh!

I had a(nother!!) quick look at the IKEA website and thought it looked a bit small.
    But that's great to know it looks good in the flesh!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

This year will be my first yr getting a real tree I really hope it lasts the whole way through.

Me too! This will be our first Christmas in our own house.
    It's tradition in Denmark to chop down your own tree. Our friends have a plantation and have invited us over the first weekend in Dec. We will choose our tree, chop it down, they will wrap it in a net, throw it in our car and then we will head into their house to have some Christmas punch and cookies. Then home to set up the tree. I can't wait!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i had best start the planning and preparing for this, my house requires quite a bit of rearranging to get the tree up so i need to get cracking with that. not sure yet when in december it'l get put up - the mother would likely go a bit nutto if it goes up to early, she'd put it up christmas eve and yank it down boxing day :eek:

Advertisement