Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will you put up the tree/decorations?

Options
  • 21-09-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Just curious as to when people will be putting up their trees. The traditional date is December 6th but I'm sure most Christmas lovers find that a bit late!
    And I know there's a certain person on this forum who doesn't take hers down at all!
    I usually go for the beginning of December but last year it was the end of November! I think this year it could be mid-November :eek: :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Just curious as to when people will be putting up their trees. The traditional date is December 6th but I'm sure most Christmas lovers find that a bit late!
    And I know there's a certain person on this forum who doesn't take hers down at all!
    I usually go for the beginning of December but last year it was the end of November! I think this year it could be mid-November :eek: :D

6th December? Good grief no. Mine doesnt go up until at least 15/16th (or that weekend anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

After I take last years down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

One of my siblings' birthday is the 6th of December so we used to have to wait until after her birthday to put up the tree etc.
    She doesn't live at home anymore so it's usually whenever my mother can convince my dad to put them up :) He has so many sets of lights - loves having them up so just depends each year.
    I have lights up in my room all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,400 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I thought the traditional date was the 8th?? :confused:

And if it's November (even 30th) that's too early...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Usually the weekend before or 3 or 4 days before Xmas. Tbh anytime before that is mad and November, well, that's just crazy but each to their own I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

AntiRip wrote: »
    Usually the weekend before or 3 or 4 days before Xmas. Tbh anytime before that is mad and November, well, that's just crazy but each to their own I suppose

Grinch!:D

Im stuck at home this year due to illness, and will be finished treatment begining of december, so earlier the better! Im really looking forward to christmas this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

dulpit wrote: »
    I thought the traditional date was the 8th?? ..

I'm actually not sure if it's the 6th or 8th. I used to live in Holland and they celebrated their Christmas on the 6th, so maybe this is influencing me.

I know people think early trees are mad but this is the Christmas forum and regular posters here are usually Christmas-mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,400 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'm actually not sure if it's the 6th or 8th. I used to live in Holland and they celebrated their Christmas on the 6th, so maybe this is influencing me.

I know people think early trees are mad but this is the Christmas forum and regular posters here are usually Christmas-mad!

6th of January is the last day for them to come down...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Well I usually take the kids see Santa and to see the lights being turned on in town and then we go home and put ours up. Normally around the 20th November. However, 2/3 years ago they put the tree up early and mine went up on the 9th November!!!:eek::eek::eek:

God I can't wait! :D Bought the kids Advent Calendars yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 248 ✭✭I love Joan Burton

Love2love wrote: »
    Well I usually take the kids see Santa and to see the lights being turned on in town and then we go home and put ours up. Normally around the 20th November. However, 2/3 years ago they put the tree up early and mine went up on the 9th November!!!:eek::eek::eek:

God I can't wait! :D Bought the kids Advent Calendars yesterday!

Where do i get my hands on one of these advent calendars you speak of?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

star-pants wrote: »
    One of my siblings' birthday is the 6th of December so we used to have to wait until after her birthday to put up the tree etc.
    She doesn't live at home anymore so it's usually whenever my mother can convince my dad to put them up :) He has so many sets of lights - loves having them up so just depends each year.
    I have lights up in my room all year round.

My mums birthday is the 6th also:)

We used to always wait until the 8th or after it but in recent years I've taken to putting them up on the night of the toyshow!!:D It makes it very Christmassy when you are watching the toyshow and decorating the tree at the same time!

This year though I'll be in London when the toyshow is on:( so it'll have to be a bit later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

It goes up the first weekend in December, and it comes down the first weekend in January. Sooner is too soon, later is too late :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I usually put mine up some time during the first week in december too. I like to enjoy Christmas throughout December, but not a day before it. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I used to wait til the weekend around the 8th of December, now its more like the weekend around the 1st of December,so Friday the 2nd of December sounds good this year!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Last year I put the tree up the day we had our Christmas lunch at work, around the 3rd of December. It felt very Christmassy because it was snowing that day as well and it felt weird to still have another 3 weeks left before the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭tr0llface

Well, when I was younger we got a really lovely, fresh tree in early December. Then my mom got gifted this plastic one that we usually put up around the 19th. I MISS THE PINE SMELL! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Generally a few small decorations the last week of November and then the proper ones (tree etc) on December 1st.

I decorate my workplace around the start of/mid November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭mikeyboy

This is my first year putting up a tree and would like to wait 'til weekend before Christmas 'cos I have relatives visiting and girlfriends family coming a couple of day after. She wants to put it up around first weekend of December so despite my reservations that's when it actually will go up

Friend of a friend tells me that they are already up in Yankee Candle Shop in Derry :eek:

Will check tomorrow and confirm

Excuse any grammar/spelling errors, just in from Arthur's Day

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

We buy the tree around mid-December (15/16) and get around to decorating it over the next few days. Any earlier and the tree wouldn't last through the holiday, any later and there are no decent trees left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

First Christmas out of the parents house this year.. Picked up my christmas tree about a month ago!!!

Will be up first week of December and will be a complete replica of the Mammys!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

8th of December :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 krutis32

Usually the weekend before or 3 or 4 days before Christmas. Tbh at any time before November's crazy and so is crazy, but each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Dovies wrote: »
    6th December? Good grief no. Mine doesnt go up until at least 15/16th (or that weekend anyway)

My parents would usually make us wait until the 12th - 16th, which now I think is kinda good, because I don't like the idea of getting used to the tree in the living room. I like to be absolutely amazed every time I walk in and see it all lit up :D

Last year we only got it up on the 22nd! :( Moving house, it was the first thing that was unpacked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

tradition in our house saw it always go up the weekend closest to the 17th then come down on the 7th. i kinda followed through with that when i took over.

however i shall be having practical exams around then i think (although just looking at a calendar now i have become confused!) so i think it will go up earlier. and then it will probably come down earlier too as i shall be back to college and not have time to take it down.

we shall see.

in my house though, as the house is so small, it requires a complete re-decoration job to get the tree a spot. i am now staring round my living room, contemplating where this piece of furniture and that piece will go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I have all mine down out of the attic to sort out at the mo - it's very tempting to sneak a bauble or two and display them somewhere discreet. I do have a string of snowflake lights set upon the headboard, however.
    I usually contain myself until around Dec 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Our tree goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving, the US one that is... I'll put exterior house lights up before that - but NEVER turn them on until after Thanksgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SoTek72

8th of December,

been that way for as long as i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

Where do i get my hands on one of these advent calendars you speak of?:D

I saw them in Tesco last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Was looking through all my photos on the computer last nite and came across pics of my tree and decorations. :D
    you know what's great? - forgetting what things you have and seeing them again and smiling! It made me really want to put up my stuff NOW!!!
    But I put up a Halloween wreath instead! Come to think of it I might get some small, cheap Halloween decorations and hang them on the wooden tree instead (still up from last Christmas! :))

Advertisement