Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will you put up the tree/decorations?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

will be heading to the OH's parents this year, but it's also our first Christmas time in our new home, so will put a tree up here anyway, even though we won't be here on the 24/25th.
    I am in Denmark and the tradition over here is to put it up on Xmas eve :eek: who could wait that long??!!
    I will be putting mine up a few weeks before xmas - and I don't care if the neighbours stare in the window :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

After all this talk, I want mine up NOW!!

I have started to introduce a few little bits and bobs to the house though :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I do that, in the hope that by the time someone notices it's like a grotto it's too late to take them down!

Decorating a bit now for Halloween though, just to take the edge off. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

right i am going to start preparing my house for the decorations. first step - work out what way to re-arrange the furniture and then do so. all this whilst in college! so hopefully as it won't be a big dramatic thingy no-one will notice :D

jealous of you putting up halloween decorations. we have none, there are no kiddywinks or anything round here. nobody calls on halloween. even if they did the mother doesn't do halloween so she wouldn't open the door (and i am always out!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

hdowney wrote: »
    right i am going to start preparing my house for the decorations. first step - work out what way to re-arrange the furniture and then do so.

:) I just did this today! Well I was gettin the chimney cleaned (for Santa!) so I thought I would rearrange the furniture and keep in mind where the Christmas tree should go. With the house so clean and fresh, I really wish I was putting up the decorations.
    jealous of you putting up halloween decorations. we have none, there are no kiddywinks or anything.

Hdowny there's nobody in my house that would appreciate any Halloween decs, no kids either. I'm putting them up for myself!! :D
    Go to the 2euro shops and indulge yourself !

• Advertisement

The €2 shops are GREAT for Halloween and Christmas decorations!
    Loads of stuff, there won't be an unChristmassy square inch when I'm finished! :D

:) I just did this today! Well I was gettin the chimney cleaned (for Santa!) so I thought I would rearrange the furniture and keep in mind where the Christmas tree should go. With the house so clean and fresh, I really wish I was putting up the decorations.

Hdowny there's nobody in my house that would appreciate any Halloween decs, no kids either. I'm putting them up for myself!! :D
    Go to the 2euro shops and indulge yourself !

pretty sure my mother would pitch a fit and take them down again :(

Ah well, put the money aside that you would have spent on Halloween stuff and then it's all the more to buy Christmas decorations with!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Speaking of decorations, I'm looking at getting christmas chair covers, like snowmen etc. Just wish postage from the US wasn't so extortionate!

Anyone know where you can get decent wreaths? not just holly and whatnot, but more snowmen / characters / disney?
    I've looked online but seems to be really lacking this year. My mother brought home a beautiful disney one from the states a good few years ago (think I said this story before) -and it was stolen from our door about three years ago. She was rather gutted, and it's rather crappy people would steal like that. So dad won't let her put any on the door anymore. I got her a nice Me-to-You one about two years ago that she hangs in the living room, but I'd like one she could even put in her window.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Traditional day is the 8th Dec and then the traditional day to take it down is 6th Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I bought my Christmas tree last year on the 18th, it was the most perfect real tree I've ever owned. I got it in Woodies and there were only 3 left so I was very surprised this one was still hanging around so close to Christmas. It didn't actually get put up until the 23rd when we moved into our house, but it was the first thing that got sorted out that day, we had no flooring, no gas for the cooker and not a thing to eat in the house but when the fire was lit and the Christmas tree was decked out in all its finery that house really felt like home.

This year i'll probably wait until mid December to get my tree again so it survives until January 6th but i'll put up my fake mini tree and the other decorations around the house on the 8th.

Posy wrote: »
    Ah well, put the money aside that you would have spent on Halloween stuff and then it's all the more to buy Christmas decorations with!! :)

i like that idea, however i would have to buy another tree to get any more decorations on - mine is beyond covered. and then i'd need another room to put the tree in. hehe :D:o

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Mt first introduction to my house :D I got it in the post from CGI for being a leader. It's engraved on the back, and its just stunning. It's in a sneaky little place but I know it's there and I'm gonna continue introducing little ornaments until the end of november so I can put the tree up :)

photo_35.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Oh I came across this chat by accident and now you all have got me going. We love Christmas, it is always on countdown in our house. The tree, etc goes up on Dec 8 and comes down on Jan 6, now I cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

star-pants wrote: »
    Speaking of decorations, I'm looking at getting christmas chair covers, like snowmen etc. Just wish postage from the US wasn't so extortionate!

Anyone know where you can get decent wreaths? not just holly and whatnot, but more snowmen / characters / disney?
    I've looked online but seems to be really lacking this year.

Pennys last year had some really nice snowmen and santa ones. Hopefully they will roll out the decorations soon:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lmfao4eva

star-pants wrote: »

I've looked online but seems to be really lacking this year.

Pennys last year had some really nice snowmen and santa ones. Hopefully they will roll out the decorations soon:)
    was in dundrum yesterday and there was nearly 3 times as much Christmas decorations then Halloween!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i use to put mine up the night of the toy show :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

we always put it up the weekend around the 8th,my dad always did so i think thats why i do as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Ours always goes up 12 days before and comes down 12 days after. That's my mam's tradition of sorts and we've all just stuck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Saw one up before Halloween last year.

Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jessie86

Oh I love this Christmas forum and thread!!!! :)
    I actually put mine up around end of November - whenever I can get away with it really ha!!

When is the late late toy show on??? x

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Friday 2nd December I think! We put ours up last year during the show and then had hot chocolate and felt all Christmassy! yum yum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

jessie86 wrote: »
    Oh I love this Christmas forum and thread!!!! :)
    I actually put mine up around end of November - whenever I can get away with it really ha!!

When is the late late toy show on??? x

It's usually the last Friday in November so prob 25th November :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

Toy Show is on the 2nd of December :D

I think ill put up my decorations the last weekend in November, the sooner the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Toy Show is on the 2nd of December :D

I think ill put up my decorations the last weekend in November, the sooner the better :)

Oh it's a bit later this year so!:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh it's a bit later this year so!:)

I kinda like it's on the first Friday in December, it'll be really Christmassy then!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

Am itching to get the decorations up since I took them down in January! Will have them up by November 30th. Can't wait!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭mg1

Come hell or high water my tree will be going up on the 1st of Dec as it always does! I plan ahead makin sure i have spare bulbs and new beads and stuff and clean like mad for two days before so that everythings ready to start that morming cause the kids and i make a hole day of it! Even if they have school on the day i keep them home.
    I love Christmas, my child hood christmas's were not great but i plan on makeing every single one special for my children.
    BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Eeeeek, can't wait to decorate!! Feck off halloween!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭allydylan

Emm, December 20th maybe. I hate how if you but the tree up to early, it's all dead and brown my the time Christmas day comes

Advertisement