Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying traits of radio presenters.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

scout353 wrote: »
    Has to be the golden rule in Newstalk that forces every presenter to use the line

John, who texted us on Newstalk at 53106 for 30c.............Mary has also texted Newstalk on 53106 for 30c.......

Don't forget you can also get involved in the discussion by texting Newstalk on 53106 for 30c!!!

How about every programme and every station actually do some prep and present a show that has no text, twitter, etc!

It's probably not their choice to have to say "53106, 30c" etc. One of Newstalk's themes is "Join the Conversation", so they have to ask for texts to make people feel like they're involved.

Twitter on the other hand is the most annoying thing to happen to radio since [2FM DJ NAME REDACTED].... Follow us on twitter!! We'll follow you!!! Tweet us!!! We've got a Tweet! Tweeeeeeeeet!!!! Ugh. And the people who think deliberately mispronouncing it is funny (I'M LOOKING AT YOU FOLEY!!) really annoy me.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I switched the radio and tv off as an experiment for a day and discovered i did'nt miss it.I threw the TV out and the radio is for the News only.I spend a lot of time on the net though maybe too much.Give it a try.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

paddyandy wrote: »
    I switched the radio and tv off as an experiment for a day and discovered i did'nt miss it.I threw the TV out and the radio is for the News only.I spend a lot of time on the net though maybe too much.Give it a try.

I'll take the TV off your hands if you want? I won't even charge you to take it away. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Ken Early

Ken Early

Ken Early, and

mainly, Ken Early commenting on a live game. Cringe.

Did you mention Ken Early ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

DB21 wrote: »
    Ivan Yates' general smugness. But particularly about football. He knows nothing (he once said Fergie was a liability at United, who promptly won the league) and he's a glory hunting City "fan". He is the reason I pray to God every night that the Sheikh gets bored at City and wanders off, leaving them a financial ****-hole.

Hook being a grumpy little troll lately.

Dempsey's patronisation and being condescending.

D'Arcy's smugness. At least Foley makes it somewhat funny in small doses.

Joe Duffy encouraging the nanny state.

lately? is his media career not forged on his grumpyness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

summerskin wrote: »
    Hector on 2fm is ridiculous for this "hairdressing salons with funny names, it's such an irish thing, you'd only get it in ireland!" utter tripe1

THANK YOU!
    Hector's getting off far too lightly!

"And here's Mary, she eats cornflakes for breakfast, sure isn't that what we need to get back to in this country, eating cornflakes! And sure by jaysus would ya put a bit of sugar on them, sure isn't that what made this country great! And on the other line is John, what do you have for breakfast John? Porridge!! Oh sure the lord jaysus d'ya remember the mammy waking ya up with the warm porridge. Sure isn't that what we need to get back to in this country, eating the porridge. You're an inspiration John, if only there were more like ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Ian Dempsey constantly feeling the need to sing along to, or add his own sound effects to every fcuking song!! Christ man, give it a rest...

+1 to both the above

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Derek Mooney's puppyish enthusiasm for any Irish entrant on X-Factor, Big Brother or Eurovision.

The lame gags that John Murray always kicks off his morning show with.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

DB21 wrote: »
    Ivan Yates' general smugness. But particularly about football. He knows nothing (he once said Fergie was a liability at United, who promptly won the league) and he's a glory hunting City "fan". He is the reason I pray to God every night that the Sheikh gets bored at City and wanders off, leaving them a financial ****-hole.

Hook being a grumpy little troll lately.

D'Arcy's smugness. At least Foley makes it somewhat funny in small doses.

Joe Duffy encouraging the nanny state.

He has been a city fan for decades long before they became the richest club on earth as a city fan myself its great to hear a city fan giving it to Utd on the radio,its makes a change from the Irish media fawning over Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Anything, quite literally anything about Colm Hayes. The twat. Why is he getting off so lightly.

"Don't forget to text us about, uhh, that time you made toast; was it nice, did you put butter on it, do you like butter. I remember I ate butter once. Yeah, it was nice - but more importantly do you like it? Text us, call us - PLEASE!?"

"Bobeye, bobeye"

Talking to a 50 year old man on a singles night:
    "Did you get to do any shnoggin' eh, ha, eh"
    He embarrassingly replied: "Eh, no."

He has a horrible "Dad's embarrassing jokes" kind of comedy.

• Advertisement

Larry Gogan!

For someone who has been on radio for so long he still has absolutely no confidence and sounds annoyingly weak. He has no tact in his 60 second quiz - someone gets something wrong and he makes a remark which to him is really mild but comes out a bit like the participant is surprisingly stupid. He doesn't mean it but has no idea how to socially handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I hate the way Mairead Farrell speaks for all women of Ireland.

"We much prefer when men are dressed a certain way" etc.

Fúck off.

Tom Dunne - hard to put my finger on it but mainly for the desperation of him to try to get a few more listeners - hence all the ads for the "Tom Dunne show" at other times of the day on Newstalk - they come across as very pathetic.
    Apart from that just for being so anodyne. He's basically a male Orla Barry, but slightly less annoying.

glasso wrote: »
    Tom Dunne - hard to put my finger on it but mainly for the desperation of him to try to get a few more listeners - hence all the ads for the "Tom Dunne show" at other times of the day on Newstalk - they come across as very pathetic.
    Apart from that just for being so anodyne. He's basically a male Orla Barry, but slightly less annoying.

I'm with you, he lacks confidence and doesn't realise which makes all his pathetic "ads" seem all the worse, like a desperate man who doesn't get it. The stuff like "Georgio Burnio" is a good example, I mean it's just funny Tom. Do you not listen to yourself.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It's probably not their choice to have to say "53106, 30c" etc. One of Newstalk's themes is "Join the Conversation", so they have to ask for texts to make people feel like they're involved.

Twitter on the other hand is the most annoying thing to happen to radio since [2FM DJ NAME REDACTED].... Follow us on twitter!! We'll follow you!!! Tweet us!!! We've got a Tweet! Tweeeeeeeeet!!!! Ugh. And the people who think deliberately mispronouncing it is funny (I'M LOOKING AT YOU FOLEY!!) really annoy me.

It sounds like you work for the station! Making people feel more involved at 30c a time - come on man! It's revenue they extract from phone companies or deals they do with them for payment or free advertising. You can barely get any thoughts across in a single text, they never push their e-mail address as much, if they even have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 barking1503

summerskin wrote: »
    Hector on 2fm is ridiculous for this "hairdressing salons with funny names, it's such an irish thing, you'd only get it in ireland!" utter tripe1

apparently many things that are done on a daily basis in the UK, US and half the known world are "uniquely irish" (like having a cup of tea...) according to that plank.

"Keep her lit man, keep her lit":mad::mad::mad::mad:

Drives me insane and has driven me to Today fm in the morns.
    Think Paddy McKenna is one of the best new people knocking around 2fm, he covered recently for Hector and was only great. They should swap slots and send Hector off to w'ends where he can talk horses and GAA til the cows come home;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

Derek Mooney: "...And we have a letter here from ... Haley. Wasn't there an actress once called Haley?"
    One of Mooney's Doltish Sidekicks: "Haha, don't think so Derek."
    DM: "I'm sure there was. Wasn't she a Bond girl?"

As Haley Mills was never a Bond girl, we must assume he had Halle Berry in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Pintoplain wrote: »
    Derek Mooney: "...And we have a letter here from ... Haley. Wasn't there an actress once called Haley?"
    One of Mooney's Doltish Sidekicks: "Haha, don't think so Derek."
    DM: "I'm sure there was. Wasn't she a Bond girl?"

As Haley Mills was never a Bond girl, we must assume he had Halle Berry in mind.

I can only imagine then that the Peoples' Republic of Jerwardonia must have selected Halle Berry to blast out their tune at the forthcoming Gaymusicfest Eurovision.

Can't see why Mooney would have her wandering about in his mind for any other reason :D

....mind you, there's a first time for everything! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The way Colm Hayes says "bobeye bobeye" to some caller on the phone. Drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Every time Marty makes a "link" he announces it.

"Speaking of biscuits,cup and saucers, here's a little ensemble from The Jacobs Orchestra conducted by John Fig, How about that for a link?"

surely the idea of linking is you don't have to explain you're linking!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ntlbell wrote: »
    "Speaking of biscuits,cup and saucers, here's a little ensemble from The Jacobs Orchestra conducted by John Fig, How about that for a link?"

Hahaha, now that would be a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure if this one has been mentioned, but had the displeasure to listen to a sports programme this morning on RTE1 and think it might have been Des Cahill.

I have never heard a guy snort and sniff as much everytime he breathed in.

Blow your nose Des before your start the bulletin for Christ's sake !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have never heard a guy snort and sniff as much everytime he breathed in.

Maybe he went to the Made Marion School of Presentation. She needs the extra few quid to pay the Household Charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some of the pronounciations are getting strange on radio (and indeed TV) too.

Since when did the word Fi-nance become F'nance?

Another one that bugs me is the use of "the President of the United States, Barack Obama". Surely there isn't someone out there who, if they heard Barack Obama read out, would say "who's that"?

And finally, padding on news bulletins. You get the newsreader reading out a story, telling you the basic gist of it. Then they hand over to another reporter who basically says exactly the same stuff with a little bit of padding the lengthen out the article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Since when did the word Fi-nance become F'nance?

Another one that bugs me is the use of "the President of the United States, Barack Obama". Surely there isn't someone out there who, if they heard Barack Obama read out, would say "who's that"?

And finally, padding on news bulletins. You get the newsreader reading out a story, telling you the basic gist of it. Then they hand over to another reporter who basically says exactly the same stuff with a little bit of padding the lengthen out the article.

tomorrow, Friday( loved by weather readers) annoys me as does the phrase...not to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Newsreaders who cannot say off,they say orf,as in the game kicks orf at 7.30.

OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF,IT'S NOT F*CKING DIFFICULT YOU SHOWER OF CANTS:mad::mad:

The spacebar not work on your computer? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Ray Darcy playing an incorrect track EVERY DAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Aaaahh aaaaah aaahh Moncrief Aaaaah

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Colin Murray on MOTD2 annoys the feck out of me the way he pronounces Wolves as though it had two o's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Meesared wrote: »
    Chris Greene from i105/iRadio needs a good punch in the face with his "yuh" thing he does, I swear I cant listen to him because of that. Im not sure why he does it, does he think it's funny?

I know Chris really well and also had the pleasure of presenting alongside him many moons ago. His "yuh" is a piss pull at the whole "cool, try too hard" presenters of the world.

On air Chris, is COMPLETELY different to Chris off air. He's so tongue in cheek it's easily lost on most. His "annoying" traits, I guarantee you, are pre-planned and calculated to do just that.

One of the most intelligent and nicest people you could ever meet and is destined to go on to huge things, I promise you that!

Advertisement