Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Club championships 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

AGC wrote: »
    BRIGIDS not Brigets

Was in Parnell on Sunday and it was the best club game I have ever seen.

Brigids will give Garrycastle a very good game and I would expect them to beat them.

i'm guessing you are from Dublin, hence you may not have seen alot of club games! it may have been the only club game you have seen ever, never mind the best

(joking before ya take offence) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

BRIGIDS not Brigets

Was in Parnell on Sunday and it was the best club game I have ever seen.

Brigids will give Garrycastle a very good game and I would expect them to beat them.

i'm guessing you are from Dublin, hence you may not have seen alot of club games! it may have been the only club game you have seen ever, never mind the best

(joking before ya take offence) :p

As Colm O'Rourke said to McEntee after 'best club game I have ever witnessed' and I'd agree with him.

I have seen plenty of good ones over the years but The standard,determination, fitness of both teams was unreal. Match had everything bar a sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thewildcat

portlaoise wouldn't be great the laois championship is poor thats the 5th year in a row portlaoise have came out and done nothing.

st pats should have beaten them this year in the first round it went to extra-time. ST.Brigids the Dublin club are not a bad side but way off Dr,Crokes or cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

thewildcat wrote: »

st pats should have beaten them this year in the first round it went to extra-time. ST.Brigids the Dublin club are not a bad side but way off Dr,Crokes or cross

Hopefully we get to find out. Brigids have come through Dublin beating all the top teams, Vincents only one we didn't play.

No one gave them a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hopefully we get to find out. Brigids have come through Dublin beating all the top teams, Vincents only one we didn't play.

No one gave them a chance.

They'll need to show they're even the best St. Brigid's team left to have at crack at either! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Potentially interesting AI semi final in sore if Garrycastle can overcome (Dublin) St Bridgets in Leinster final. The Leinster winner will play St Bridgets Roscommon. garrycastle and Bridgets are based on either side of Athlone, each team has a trio of Dolan brothers (all cousins) playing and Garycastle manager Anthony Cunningham is a former Bridgets manager. Having said all this Bridgets will prob ruin it all now......

Not unlike 2 UCC players playing for Dr. Crokes, against their own team. Dathi Casey and Buckley........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Thought UCC would have more about them today, they are certainly capable of more. It will be interesting how good they are next year.

UCC were missing their 2 best players!!! (they were playing with ye) So it wasnt a suprise that they didnt really step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

who was marking him, was it peter crowley?

Not sure, but he was well shackled apart from a good 10 minute spell after halftime.

Not unlike 2 UCC players playing for Dr. Crokes, against their own team. Dathi Casey and Buckley........

That really shouldn't be allowed happen. It's a joke that you can play for two different teams in the same competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Munster Club GAA fixtures Sunday December 11th;

IFC final; Mullinahone (Tipperary) v Milltown-Castlemaine (Kerry),venue Mallow 1 30pm.

JHC final; Cappamore (Limerick) v Charleville (Cork),venue Mallow 3 30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Why isn't tg4 showing the leinster final today? Its amazing they'd rather show a repeat ladies game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Why isn't tg4 showing the leinster final today? Its amazing they'd rather show a repeat ladies game.
    It was on the tg4 website as being covered so I'm surprised its not being covered :is the game definitely on at 230

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

It was on the tg4 website as being covered so I'm surprised its not being covered :is the game definitely on at 230

its in the papers as well, really is a terrible decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Gael85

The Brigids V Garrycastle game is not until next Sunday

Munster IFC club final result; Milltown-Castlemaine (Kerry) 1-14 Mullinahone (Tipperary) 0-6.

Munster JHC club final result; Charleville (Cork) 3-15 Cappamore (Limerick) 2-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Munster IFC club final result; Milltown-Castlemaine (Kerry) 1-14 Mullinahone (Tipperary) 0-6.

kerry clubs won all 4 munster titles - crokes, milltown, dromid and brosna.

A great achievement by Kerry clubs. My own home team were beat by Milltown in the Munster semi. Milltown are coached by Duhallow legend John Fintan Daly who IMO should have been a Cork manager years ago. He has done great things for Milltown and I've no doubt he'll bring All Ireland honours to Milltown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

A great achievement indeed but you have to agree that the grading system in Kerry is somewhat questionable, there are clubs in the intermediate and Junior grades that should be definitely at least a grade higher, but because of the amount of divisional teams in senior ar allowed play at a grade lower, agree or disagree??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A great achievement indeed but you have to agree that the grading system in Kerry is somewhat questionable, there are clubs in the intermediate and Junior grades that should be definitely at least a grade higher, but because of the amount of divisional teams in senior ar allowed play at a grade lower, agree or disagree??

ya, its a bit mad alright, though in all fairness club football is strong. the key is the fact that you could lose 2 games in 2 years,stay as a junior club in terms of the county championship and end up playing division 1 or 2 football against the likes of crokes and stacks. basically, the senior league is totally independant of the championships and our county championship is made up of i think 11 senior clubs with 8 divisional teams. those teams change each year with one team going up and one team coming down from the senior clubs.

all teams have the chance to go up in the grade to senior, they reason they are in junior is simple- they have never won it before (apart from duagh afaik)

and that happens.

dromid who beat your lot were division 4 back around 99/2000 when jack o connor was playing himself and i think they went on a run which saw them go up to division one. they couldnt go to intermediate, as they were never junior champions.

for alot of those teams who go on to win munsters and quiet often the all ireland, their toughest games are the ones at home as winning a county title is hard earned.

milltown for example would have had 6 or 7 lads who played in this years senior final, though in all fiarness, the same happened in Tipp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Garrycastle leading 1-7 to 7 points with just over 10 minutes left.

Can anyone elighten me why this game is being played in Tullamore and not Navan? Seems an unnecessary distance to travel, especially for Brigid's fans.
    Edit: 1 point in it now. Brigids have gotten 4 points in the last 4 or 5 minutes.

Well done to Garrycastle on winning the Leinster club SFC title when they defeated St Brigids 1-8 to 0-10 with the Westmeath outfit scoring a free in the last kick of the game to win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The sessions in Sunnybank pub in Dublin finally caught up with Brigids:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Is that the first time a westmeath club has won the Leinster club senior football title - delighted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Is that the first time a westmeath club has won the Leinster club senior football title

Yep, first Westmeath team to win the Leinster club SFC final.

It should be an interesting match-up in the new year between st. Brigids (roscommon) and Garrycastle. If I'm not mistaken, Anthony Cunningham has managed both and should have the inside track in Brigids' strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Kojak wrote: »
    Yep, first Westmeath team to win the Leinster club SFC final.

It should be an interesting match-up in the new year between st. Brigids (roscommon) and Garrycastle. If I'm not mistaken, Anthony Cunningham has managed both and should have the inside track in Brigids' strengths and weaknesses.

Plus family rivalry with the Dolans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

no mention of the ref, he was just great for garycastle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

The sessions in Sunnybank pub in Dublin finally caught up with Brigids:D

Copper Face Jacks more like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

true.

moving that free from the middle of the pitch to a point-blank scoring position with 4 seconds to go when the scores were level.. what a spoilsport :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

true.

moving that free from the middle of the pitch to a point-blank scoring position with 4 seconds to go when the scores were level.. what a spoilsport :mad:

Spoilsport maybe, but in all honestly the correct decision.
    Pity he was so quick to flash the yellows for no real reason - fairly inconsistent in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

To be fair Brigids were great for Garrycastle the way they couldnt kick snow off a rope in the 1st half!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

true.

When a player is fouled after striking the ball the free is meant to be from where the ball lands, unless I am mistaken.

In which case, clear cut free.

I was cheering from Brigids but the ref was not to blame.

Advertisement