Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was in a pub last night....

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I think that pubs should be allowed get a special licence to allow smoking inside, so long as it's clearly advertised on the outside.

Makes no sense, it's a ban on smoking in the workplace. Nothing to do with the customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Mousey- wrote: »
    The customers/staff know what is happening and willingly place themselves there.

In this day and age where jobs are non-existent, why should an employee expose themselves to toxic chemicals in order to just make a living.

I'm a college student that is struggling to pay the ever-increasing registration fees each year. I had to hold down a position this summer in an establishment in town that treated their staff like sh1t and payed us not more than 30 cent over the minimum wage. I did not have the ability to leave that job and as a result was forced to work day in day out while being painfully upset.

I hope, for the love of god, that there is no-one in that same position, working for the bar that OP is talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I was in a pub where they close the door at 12, Then everyone who stayed started smoking, I wasnt shocked as we were in the countryside, So as a non smoker, I started doing a subtle cough for the crack to which I was quickly told to feck off by the barman, I nearly died laughing at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

fact is, people smoke and you may encounter it from time to time. difference is it's your choice whether you want to stay or go. at least you have the option. No point demonizing these people as it was social norm for the majority of their life - only demon is this relatively new phenomenon in their face, making a fuss about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

For people who think it is ok for worker to put up with 2nd hand smoke and say they should leave if they don't like and in the same wheezy breath say that the smoking ban is killing the lively hood of the landlords, you's are hypocrites. If the barman can't get people in because they aren't allowed smoke he should get a new job.
    And for those saying complaining about the nanny state and how people have become sheep because they can't stand being around smoke, remember you were the original sheep by starting smoking in the first place. No one starts smoking because they don't have enough nicotine or smoke in their system, it's mainly to do with peer pressure or the will to seem "cool" i.e. sheep.
    The "good aul days" of smoking in the pub consisted of bellends burning holes in your clothes while they waved their hands around and waking up the next morning stinking of manky smoke. You can have them, I'm happy being able to breath and only smell stale beer. End rant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

That there was a self designated smoking pub by right of being off the beaten track and in a time warp. Cherish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

alot of pubs with older customers allow this.

my local pub in the countryside allows smoking all the time, especially when they are closed and theres a lock in happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

A friend of mine lives in Holland where it is equally illegal to smoke in pubs. Although you can smoke weed in coffeshops :rolleyes: However his local allows patrons to smoke while supping their favourite libation as long as they pay two euro for each visit. This covers the fine should they be rumbled and they have been. I think he said its was six thousand yo yo's of a fine. Now this may seem odd but according to him it works as most people who go there now are smokers and the non smokers avoid the place. The local police don't give a **** as long as no one complains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There's some amount of absolute tits in this thread.

As the OP, I was never moaning about the pub nor did I ever say I was giving consideration to reporting the pub. I was simply stating my disbelief that this particular pub allowed smoking indoors, as it would be so easy for anyone to report them. This is not a country pub in the back arse of nowhere, this is a pub 2 mins walk from the centre of the biggest inland town in Ireland, Clonmel.

But I've noticed this trend on boards, there will always be a certain amount of posters who will look at what you said and they will look for an angle that will suit themselves and have a pop at the OP as it gives them an opportunity to the get upon their high horse.

Clowns.

Advertisement