Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was in a pub last night....

Options
  • 18-09-2011 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

At around 9pm last night with a few friends. It was the first time we were ever in this particular pub, decided to try a new venue out for a change.

But anyhow, when we entered, there was around 10-12 customers in there. Ranging from 40-80 year olds, mostly men with a few women. The usual suspects you'd normally see in a pub.

However, there was one difference. The place stunk of smoke.There was around 2-3 people smoking at the bar and another 3-4 within the pub. I couldn't believe it. This is a pub inside a large town(albeit at the end of it, slightly out of the way) that was allowing smoking indoors at 9pm on a Saturday night. I said to myself that if they allow it at such a prime time in the week, they probably allow it to happen day in, day out.

One of my friends who smokes asked the barman if there was a smoking area. The barman looked at him funny and said 'no'. He then pointed to the roof of the pub as if to say you can smoke in here. He then proceeded to give my friend a small glass with water in the end of it to use as an ash tray and said 'don't tell anyone now'.

Unbelievable. What I can't understand is how on earth they can take a massive risk like that. Isn't there huge fines and a threat against one's pub licence if found to be prohibiting the smoking ban?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Where was it? I remember being in a country pub a few years ago and all the oul ones and oulfellas were smoking. The windows were open so I think they felt that they weren't breaking the rules. I also know a couple of business people who smoke in their offices, which are connected to their public businesses.

There are probably few people who complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Blatter wrote: »
    At around 9pm last night with a few friends. It was the first time we were ever in this particular pub, decided to try a new venue out for a change.

But anyhow, when we entered, there was around 10-12 customers in there. Ranging from 40-80 year olds, mostly men with a few women. The usual suspects you'd normally see in a pub.

However, there was one difference. The place stunk of smoke.There was around 2-3 people smoking at the bar and another 3-4 within the pub. I couldn't believe it. This is a pub inside a large town(albeit at the end of it, slightly out of the way) that was allowing smoking indoors at 9pm on a Saturday night. I said to myself that if they allow it at such a prime time in the week, they probably allow it to happen day in, day out.

One of my friends who smokes asked the barman if there was a smoking area. The barman looked at him funny and said 'no'. He then pointed to the roof of the pub as if to say you can smoke in here. He then proceeded to give my friend a small glass with water in the end of it to use as an ash tray and said 'don't tell anyone now'.

Unbelievable. What I can't understand is how on earth they can take a massive risk like that. Isn't there huge fines and a threat against one's pub licence if found to be prohibiting the smoking ban?

Squeal for fecks sake. While i am in favour of some illegal activities, indoor smoking is not one. Cant stand the smell of the sh1t. On the windiest rainiest, coldest night of the year, id still say "Out" to anyone - male/female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

It's illegal. You should have whipped out the mobile and recorded it then reported the place. Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Squeal for fecks sake. While i am in favour of some illegal activities, indoor smoking is not one. Cant stand the smell of the sh1t. On the windiest rainiest, coldest night of the year, id still say "Out" to anyone - male/female.

Your username suits you.

But of course I do take your point. i can't believe any pub would take a risk like this. There is always going to be someone that tells someone and of course they'll be caught out.

Not seen anyone smoking in pubs in years. It even takes me by surprise now when I see it in old films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:eek: Cheeses pubs have gone to bits :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I was in a pub on Friday night, place was dead only the four of us there so the barman locked the doors at 11pm and we stayed in there drinking and smoking for hours! Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

So, you chose a new venue for the prime night of the week and you get 10 people, 40 - 80 yr olds, and its smoke filled.....

Maybe let one of your mates chose next time ;)

Oh yeah, where was it??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,851 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Funnily enough was in a pub in the city last week (dublin) and the had a 'so called' smoking area which was no more than a room with a full roof on it and a small window gap at the top.

To top it off this room had 1 door which was wide open into the main bar area which wasnt that big either, but the whole place stunk of old cigarettes. The glasses stunk the seats stunk pretty rank. Needless to say 1 drink and left never to return again.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

It sounds like a regular’s pub. Were regulars go for their pint and (smoke) were they all know the rules.
    If you did not like it just leave stop bitching about it and I certainly would not report it.
    edit: I am a nonsmoker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

ElleEm wrote: »
    Where was it? I remember being in a country pub a few years ago and all the oul ones and oulfellas were smoking. The windows were open so I think they felt that they weren't breaking the rules. I also know a couple of business people who smoke in their offices, which are connected to their public businesses.

There are probably few people who complain about it.

It was in Clonmel. I won't name and shame the pub but it was close to the quay and a couple of minutes walk from the centre of the town. A reasonably isolated area of the town but it wouldn't take much for them to be caught all the same. One phone call to the police and all it takes is someone in authority to walk in an see it.

That's why I'm struggling to comprehend how they are allowing it, and I'm assuming they have been allowing it for quite some time now, and have been getting away with it.

I don't recall there being a window open BTW and as I said there was a few smoking at the bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

It sounds like a regular’s pub kip
    FYP

Edit: Ah, clonmel. That explains it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Squeal for fecks sake. While i am in favour of some illegal activities, indoor smoking is not one.

Which illegal activities would you support above smoking indoors?
    Cant stand the smell of the sh1t. On the windiest rainiest, coldest night of the year, id still say "Out" to anyone - male/female.

Male OR female? A man who sticks by his principles.

But OP, either leave a pub if you're not happy with the situation, or make your position clear to the barman and report the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

In clonmel you say... Is it the one that starts with a P? Or could be the one down from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

My local used to be the same before it was renovated and modernised. In it's old state, it was split in 2 sections, an old man's clique and then a normal bar for everyone else. You could barely see with the smoke in the old man's part and the smell would knock you if the door was opened. All done away with now since being done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was at a gig in Dublin last night. On the bus home to Kildare, people I knew got on the bus and sat with me, and smoked illegal stuff (more illegal than normal stuff) and passed around a bottle of wine. Even though I've never smoked, I just thought it was sorta funny. Bit of a mad situation, the way it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I was in a pub on Friday night, place was dead only the four of us there so the barman locked the doors at 11pm and we stayed in there drinking.

OP would you also report this if you knew the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

GET OVER IT OR GET OUT simple really ..

With the way the country has gone ,the closure of countless pubs and the thousands of jobs that have been lost in the industry over the last few years. I am sure a hell of alot of pubs are closing doors slighty early and letting their regulars smoke, It's these regulars that are keeping the doors/business open and maybe even a few jobs going . So why not look after them .

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    GET OVER IT OR GET OUT simple really ..

With the way the country has gone ,the closure of countless pubs and the thousands of jobs that have been lost in the industry over the last few years. I am sure a hell of alot of pubs are closing doors slighty early and letting their regulars smoke, It's these regulars that are keeping the doors/business open and maybe even a few jobs going . So why not look after them .

Ehh, add on a smoking area then rather than break the law:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I think that pubs should be allowed get a special licence to allow smoking inside, so long as it's clearly advertised on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I think that pubs should be allowed get a special licence to allow smoking inside, so long as it's clearly advertised on the outside.

stop next you'll will want Adults making their own decisions...........:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

The speed the country is going down the ****ter this stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest,the law enforcers aren't enforcing it.So many laws in Ireland with no-one enforcing them,,,go to a different pub or grab a bag of cans and hit the park

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I was at a gig in Dublin last night. On the bus home to Kildare, people I knew got on the bus and sat with me, and smoked illegal stuff (more illegal than normal stuff) and passed around a bottle of wine. Even though I've never smoked, I just thought it was sorta funny. Bit of a mad situation, the way it happened.

you#ve clearly never been on a nitelink then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

There is a fine old pub in a town in Galway where after the doors are closed the ashtrays come out, the king size rizlas emerge on the counter, the music selection becomes the blues, and the stout flows until the sun starts to shine through the crack over the blinds.

It's a wonderful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,277 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, brilliant. And wonderful for the eejits who have put up with a lifetime of a partner smoking, then find in the end they are stuck with a wheezing, coughing, wreck who cannot walk 50 yards, go upstairs without having to sit and gasp, and whose brain is dulled by lack of oxygen.

But what the hell, that's a lifetime away isn't it! Just keep sucking on the siggies and hope that by the time you are destroyed you will have found someone to look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

One phone call to the police and all it takes is someone in authority to walk in an see it.
    Yeah, ring the Gardai.

They'll rightly tell you to GTFO. It's nothing to do with them.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yeah, ring the Gardai.

They'll rightly tell you to GTFO. It's nothing to do with them.

It's breaking the law, how has it got nothing to do with the Gardai?:confused:

It's breaking the law, how has it got nothing to do with the Gardai?:confused:
    It's the HSE that enforce that particular law.

There are plenty of laws that are dealt with by other agencies.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    It's the HSE that enforce that particular law.

There are plenty of laws that are dealt with by other agencies.

So the Gardai would tell you to GTFO and not even put you through to the HSE?:confused:

Gardai cannot deal with this law in and way, shape or form?

So the Gardai would tell you to GTFO and not even put you through to the HSE?:confused:

Gardai cannot deal with this law in and way, shape or form?
    No. I'd imagine they'd tell you to contact the HSE to report it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I honestly don't see the problem here.

You're obviously never going to return to the pub,
    it gets its trade from regulars that know the score.

So you feel the need to have a pub heavily fined and possibly shut down because it doesn't conform to your nanny state ways.

Advertisement