Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was in a pub last night....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Hmmm 40 to 80 y/o fellas with a few women, I wonder what other activities the're getting up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I disagree with the nanny state ideas, but I agree that smoking shouldn't be allowed at all in public places, or around other people. yeah people should generally have the choice to do what they like, but when you're a child in a home with a person that doesn't see much wrong with smoking you don't have that choice but to be around it, so if this is the only way people are being made cop on, then it should be enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I disagree with the nanny state ideas, but I agree that smoking shouldn't be allowed at all in public places, or around other people. yeah people should generally have the choice to do what they like, but when you're a child in a home with a person that doesn't see much wrong with smoking you don't have that choice but to be around it, so if this is the only way people are being made cop on, then it should be enforced.

but you also have a choice to leave same pub, your under no obligation to stay, where someones smoking.
    I'm a non smoker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

booboo88 wrote: »
    but you also have a choice to leave same pub, your under no obligation to stay, where someones smoking.
    I'm a non smoker

So, in other words, you entirely disagree with the hugely successful smoking ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

Squeal for fecks sake. While i am in favour of some illegal activities, indoor smoking is not one. Cant stand the smell of the sh1t. On the windiest rainiest, coldest night of the year, id still say "Out" to anyone - male/female.

What? Why?

It sounds like this was a "locals" pub so why would this guy squeal if the people attending it on a regular basis don't? While I know it's illegal surely if they continue to give business to the place they're not unhappy with the smoky atmosphere?!

You'll find this in a lot of pubs down the country (especially over west). When the smoking ban came in it was never enforced as the patrons who had been attending the bars for many many years were of the age where it was almost unfair to force them to go out the back every time they wanted a smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    GET OVER IT OR GET OUT simple really ..

With the way the country has gone ,the closure of countless pubs and the thousands of jobs that have been lost in the industry over the last few years. I am sure a hell of alot of pubs are closing doors slighty early and letting their regulars smoke, It's these regulars that are keeping the doors/business open and maybe even a few jobs going . So why not look after them .

A few heat lamps and shelter from the rain, small investment and guess what you might just increase your business getting the non smokers and the smokers to spend their monies in your establishment, securing jobs and your business,

what if the workers there don't smoke, ooooooo wait I know if yis don't like it GTFO:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Blatter wrote: »
    So, in other words, you entirely disagree with the hugely successful smoking ban?

Hugely successful how? People spend more time in smoking room than in the pub itself, oh yea its great.
    Theres probably more non smokers than smokers in the smoking room, who wants to sit on their own in a pub waiting for people to finish smoking?>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I'm a non smoker

Person behind the bar doesn't have a choice. And if he chooses to be around the smoke, what about if they hire a person who doesn't want to be in the situation? They shouldn't be made to either accept the situation or get another job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm a non smoker

And what about the people who work in the pub? I'm sure they can just leave if they want too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Jesus Christ, the over-reactions to this are unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

A few heat lamps and shelter from the rain, small investment and guess what you might just increase your business getting the non smokers and the smokers to spend their monies in your establishment, securing jobs and your business,

what if the workers there don't smoke, ooooooo wait I know if yis don't like it GTFO:rolleyes:

What if ...just if (like my local )because design ,location and local council laws make a smoking area none starter ,so regulars (many old ) have to smoke in the street .
    As for the sudden wave of few customers thats just not going to happen no matter what you do , All over the country the midweek trade has died a death ,with many pubs and clubs now closing on certain mid week days ,As for the weekend trade its fast become a 2/3 hour window with a vast minority of people choicing to drink at home till late ,followed by a quick dash for last orders or the nightclub/latebar.
    Yes there are a few diehard pub goers (like myself ) than for one reason or another just don't like or want to drink at home And its us that are keeping our locals open ,Now if the barman ,owner and few customers are happy to close the doors and get the ashtrays out .want is so wrong with that.

Ps The non smoking barman in my local would rather have a job than enforce this law. (his adult choice )

PSS your use of rolleyes is so powerful ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's mad how a law can have such a strong effect on public opinion! Pubs used to be smoke-filled and most people didn't care, just accepted it as a given. Now in a few short years smoking indoors is "disgusting"! It used to be acceptable to have a couple of pints and drive home, now it's abhorrent, and most people would describe it as reckless endangerment at the very least. People used to absent-mindedly throw rubbish on the ground, now I think most people get pangs of conscience if we drop so much as a lollipop stick on the ground! Cigarette butts don't seem to have worked their way into the consciousness as 'litter' just yet, I'm sure they will though.

I think the laws and government advertising campaigns preceeded the shift in popular opinion with all those issues. Maybe with the exception of litter.

I'm all for the smoking ban in general, can't say I'd get too worked up if I walked into a smoking bar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

GET OVER IT OR GET OUT simple really ..

With the way the country has gone ,the closure of countless pubs and the thousands of jobs that have been lost in the industry over the last few years. I am sure a hell of alot of pubs are closing doors slighty early and letting their regulars smoke, It's these regulars that are keeping the doors/business open and maybe even a few jobs going . So why not look after them .
    No no no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dave! wrote: »
    It's mad how a law can have such a strong effect on public opinion!

TB rife in the country and it used to be acceptable to spit on the pub floor

Bad times :(

And there was opposition from the auld lads to stopping that too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

in general plenty of "smoking areas" in pubs these days must be flouting the ban themselves. i can think of plenty that have 4 walls, roofed, have bars in them (i.e staff working in smoky conditions). Theres a particular new one on camden street which is kitted out nicer than the actual pub!

I hope I never get to the point in life where I feel the need to report something like this.. I love living where I do now because I can smoke anywhere I want except in my school.

The "success" of the smoking ban was people's new found love for smoking areas.. Everyone is still surrounded by smoke and more people have started the habit because of it.

I still think it's a good policy but I know a lot of people who only started fags as a result of the ban.

What if ...just if (like my local )because design ,location and local council laws make a smoking area none starter ,so regulars (many old ) have to smoke in the street .
    As for the sudden wave of few customers thats just not going to happen no matter what you do , All over the country the midweek trade has died a death ,with many pubs and clubs now closing on certain mid week days ,As for the weekend trade its fast become a 2/3 hour window with a vast minority of people choicing to drink at home till late ,followed by a quick dash for last orders or the nightclub/latebar.
    Yes there are a few diehard pub goers (like myself ) than for one reason or another just don't like or want to drink at home And its us that are keeping our locals open ,Now if the barman ,owner and few customers are happy to close the doors and get the ashtrays out .want is so wrong with that.

Ps The non smoking barman in my local would rather have a job than enforce this law. (his adult choice )

PSS your use of rolleyes is so powerful ....

Ah well that's grand, I didn't realise the smokers did so much for this country, with the monies they put into the system from buying cigarettes and then keeping the pubs open, yis are a credit for sure,

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: now that should really put the shiits up ya

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Ehh, add on a smoking area then rather than break the law:rolleyes:

Jesus, its the old smoking ban arguement back again !
    Listen, we all know whats after happening to us.
    We turned into sheep somewhere in the late 90's/ early 00's and allowed ourselves to be dictated to.
    This is the generation that will forever be known for
    shutting down countless pubs and killing off the one
    true social event of the week.... craic with the friends down the local !.
    Can't smoke, unless you wanna freeze, get wet, or piss some-one
    off with your passive smoke( christ save us!).
    Can't drink more than a pint and drive home, oh and be sure to wear your
    seat belt whilst doing that too, and watch out in case your doing 90kmph,
    in a 80kmph zone !

So lets get off our high horses here/ very high barstools that wobble ( jesus , must report them too in case some child falls of them),
    and give the few pubs that "dare", yes "dare" to break this, IMHO,
    stupid effin law, a well earned break???
    ( Deep breaths now, calm yourself down..... )

Oh, and if you really want to know what i think, then Pm me;)

Mr.W.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

Im nearly certain I know the pub you're talking about! Its not somewhere I have ever had any interest in visiting, however it seem like the sort of place that not many "outsiders" would venture into. If thats the case and the regulars are happy with it I say leave 'em off. I don't think its right for someone whos probably not going to go there again, to spoil the regulars enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I've stopped smoking over a month ago... thank you. And ive recently reacquired my sense of smell. And to be honest, i dont know what all the non smokers are pissing and moaning about with the smell of smoke, cause 80% of the places i go pass or go into stink of far worse.

Dublin stinks, i welcome the smell of smoke, its better than BO, smelly feet, ****, piss, farts etc.. Which is all i can seem to smell in town these days :confused:

Just as long as they are not blowing smoke in your face or in your general direction, just stfu and stop being a lil baby :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

He then proceeded to give my friend a small glass with water in the end of it to use as an ash tray and said 'don't tell anyone now'.

Group of friends: "No problem"
    OP: To boards...to tell everyone!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ah well that's grand, I didn't realise the smokers did so much for this country, with the monies they put into the system from buying cigarettes and then keeping the pubs open, yis are a credit for sure,

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: now that should really put the shiits up ya

Glad i could help , Nice to see your big enough to admit your mistakes .. You'll be the better person for this , trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

I can't understand why anyone would even consider reporting something or someone that has done them no personal harm. How would you benefit if the pub was closed down hence a few jobs lost, another derelict building and essentially ruining the social lives of a few locals? Would that satisfy you?

If you had found dirt in your drink or staff had abused you or something fair enough, but no one did you any harm so you have no right to do harm to them. One of the best things about Ireland is its relaxed attitude, lets try and keep it that way.

* This is a general statement, not directed at you personally

few cans? wrote: »
    I can't understand why anyone would even consider reporting something or someone that has done them no personal harm.

Because I just don't like murderers, even if its not me their trying to murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

oh dont be so fckuin dramatic. murderers. listen to yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The smoking getting in the way of his drinking, a drug which "murders" more than any other drug in the world, combined :)

Can you say hypocrite? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Murderers, seriously?

Get over yourself.

Whinging more about smoking than drinking which has caused far more abuse to people's lives.

few cans? wrote: »
    oh dont be so fckuin dramatic. murderers. listen to yourself!

that just made me laff, contradictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I lol'd.

• Advertisement

Looks like we're only a few posts away from Godwin's Law.

Advertisement