Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

says the poster who is constantly rambling on about 'the protestant people of uilster', such hypocrisy
    Wanted to get the thread back on topic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Wanted to get the thread back on topic. :)

Should you not be off celebrating instead of hanging around here? I've an excuse, i'm pissed off at the result and looking for some aggro.

Should you not be off celebrating instead of hanging around here? I've an excuse, i'm pissed off at the result and looking for some aggro.
    Watching the Utd Chelsea game. It's been a great day though.

So what is up with the wage news with Mcguinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Watching the Utd Chelsea game. It's been a great day though.

So what is up with the wage news with Mcguinness?

Ye totally deserved it, could have been 6 or 7. MMG going tot take just the average industrial wage in the unlikely event of him being elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

LordSutch wrote: »

Surely the recent troubles in NI were between Irish Republican paramilitaries, Loyalist paramilitaries, and the security forces (Police & Army), Yes! most combatants would have professed to be of one variety of Christianity or another, but I don't think that Protestants generally hated Catholics, or that all Catholics hated Protestants.

No. The bulk of the people murdered by Protestant paramilitaries were uninvolved Catholics.

You are entitled to your view that Protestants generally did not hate Catholics - but it is not an opinion which I share.

• Advertisement

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

I think the sectarianism on display is vile

That is rather like the man who jumped into the pond and complained about getting wet. If you do not want to hear or read sectarianism, do not get involved in a discussion about the history of Northern Ireland.

I must add that I am not sure what is the topic of this thread. I thought that it was about Martin McGuinness being a candidate in the presidential election of Eire. If it had remained that, I would not have posted on this thread because I think that the politics of the Eire Republic should be left to the people of the Eire Republic. But certain posters used the thread to attack the Ulster Catholic struggle against tyranny. And that is no business of any Eireperson.

Sermons against sectarianism are highly provocative when preached by someone who can have had little opportunity to practise what he preaches. Please leave us poor oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland to do our own thing in our own province. And I apologise for Martin McGuinness interfering in the political life of your country. But I have no control over him. Honestly, I have no control over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

crucamim wrote: »
    That is rather like the man who jumped into the pond and complained about getting wet. If you do not want to hear or read sectarianism, do not get involved in a discussion about the history of Northern Ireland.

I must add that I am not sure what is the topic of this thread. I thought that it was about Martin McGuinness being a candidate in the presidential election of Eire. If it had remained that, I would not have posted on this thread because I think that the politics of the Eire Republic should be left to the people of the Eire Republic. But certain posters used the thread to attack the Ulster Catholic struggle against tyranny. And that is no business of any Eireperson.

Sermons against sectarianism are highly provocative when preached by someone who can have had little opportunity to practise what he preaches. Please leave us poor oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland to do our own thing in our own province. And I apologise for Martin McGuinness interfering in the political life of your country. But I have no control over him. Honestly, I have no control over him.

The Eire thing is comical :D- thanks for the apologies though - the man has acted in an extremely disloyal way to the voters in his own country - unfortunately our record on voting for chancers shows enough people in the Republic might be just desparate enough or stupid enough to fall for another chancer like McGuiness.
    The defintion of stupid: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result - come on people less not be fooled again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

No. The bulk of the people murdered by Protestant paramilitaries were uninvolved Catholics.

You are entitled to your view that Protestants generally did not hate Catholics - but it is not an opinion which I share.

And what do you think in relation to the many, many uninvolved Catholics that were murdered by the IRA ?

Does that make you hate the IRA in the same way as you hate Protestant paramilitaries, since it is - or at least, should be, the exact same reasoning ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »

"And what do you think in relation to the many, many uninvolved Catholics that were murdered by the IRA?"

Can you give me the name of an uninvolved Catholic of Northern Ireland who was murdered by the IRA?

"Does that make you hate the IRA in the same way as you hate Protestant paramilitaries, since it is - or at least, should be, the exact same reasoning?"

No, it would not. The IRA never hurt me. The Protestants did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Can you give me the name of an uninvolved Catholic of Northern Ireland who was murdered by the IRA?

I'd have to check the guest list of a few hotels in Warrington, and probably check to see who the IRA arbitrarily decided to execute in their kangaroo courts, since - as many people have stated in relation to McGuinness - those people weren't tried or convicted in a real court of justice either.

But to be honest given your other line in your post, there's no point; you have stated yourself that you are perfectly happy to support murder as long as it doesn't hurt you, which means that I have no inclination or point in discussing anything with you further.

It's the equivalent of stating that you're OK with rape as long as it isn't you getting raped, which is so sickening that it's beyond comprehension.

On the basis of that last line, ignore has been clicked, so don't bother replying.

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd have to check the guest list of a few hotels in Warrington, and probably check to see who the IRA arbitrarily decided to execute in their kangaroo courts, since - as many people have stated in relation to McGuinness - those people weren't tried or convicted in a real court of justice either.

But to be honest given your other line in your post, there's no point; you have stated yourself that you are perfectly happy to support murder as long as it doesn't hurt you, which means that I have no inclination or point in discussing anything with you further.

It's the equivalent of stating that you're OK with rape as long as it isn't you getting raped, which is so sickening that it's beyond comprehension.

On the basis of that last line, ignore has been clicked, so don't bother replying.

Another ill-mannered Eireperson who does not like an Ulster Catholic answering back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad that we have a representative of a people from a different state seeking election for the presidency of the Republic of Ireland..McGuinness is such a loyal representative!!To think that a provo could be the commander in chief of our "cold free state" army and Gardai (whom the IRA have killed) is sickening. How stupid do Sinn Fein think we are - a bunch of murderers!!!!

It would be funny if it wasn't so sad that we have a representative of a people from a different state seeking election for the presidency of the Republic of Ireland..McGuinness is such a loyal representative!!To think that a provo could be the commander in chief of our "cold free state" army and Gardai (whom the IRA have killed) is sickening. How stupid do Sinn Fein think we are - a bunch of murderers!!!!

Please refrain from passing judgement on the oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland and on the Catholic freedom fighters of Northern Ireland. Thank you.

P.S. I share your reservations about Sinn Fein contesting elections in Eire

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Please refrain from passing judgement on the oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland and on the Catholic freedom fighters of Northern Ireland.

No.

Please refrain from passing judgement on the oppressed Catholic people of Northern Ireland and on the Catholic freedom fighters of Northern Ireland. Thank you.

You have very partitionist views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

You are not living in the 1960's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

So you would say that pira was a sectarian organisation you also ask in an earlier post about innocent RC's killed by your so called freedom fighter I am pretty sure bombs cannot discriminate between RC and Protestant

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I don't see the point of McGuinness running - he simply just cannot win.

It's not about winning, it's about taking over as the Opposition from the dying Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Thats why it is called a vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Where do you think they should contest elections, France?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It's not about winning, it's about taking over as the Opposition from the dying Fianna Fáil.
    Ireland doesn't have an opposition. Fine Gael and Labour have taken power and continued on exactly the same course as Fianna Fáil did. It's as if the ghost of Brian Lenihan still has his hands on the levers even after death.

There is just no way Sinn Féin are going to take over from Fianna Fáil as the main opposition. Trust me, by the time we're into 2013 and unemployment is still at 15% with the government trying to put a levy on medicine for sick orphans, people will flock back to Fianna Fáil. Elections, opinion polls, just about every barometer shows that Sinn Féin support in Ireland has a high water mark of about ~10%.

Elections, opinion polls, just about every barometer shows that Sinn Féin support in Ireland has a high water mark of about ~10%.

Marty will do a lot better than that, which is the whole point: to set a new high water mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

dulpit wrote: »
    Taking aside everything about McGuinness, and just looking solely at his role of Deputy First Minister. What does it say to all members of the Assembly (Unionists in particular) when he decides he wants to run for president of a different jurisdiction.

I don't think he will win, so will he simply step aside from the role for 6 weeks then come straight back into the job? :confused:

Aim is to ensure to its supporters, that Sinn Féin is serious about a United Ireland, something everyone is aware of. I fail to see how its any different than a Dáiler running for Presidency. Dev went straight from the Dáil to the Áras. Mary McAleese, though worked in Trinity Dublin (and Previously RTE) was also a Northern yet no one had issues with this (well a small section of partionist idiots tried to do an Austin Currie - but there you go) THe Presidency is a symbolic head of the Nation, and not just the State (of 26) She / He represents Irish people where ever they are in the world, Sure Mary Robinson got that one right.

How many would whinge if say Niall O'Dowd (someone who actually did alot of work to help Irish in America, and helped in the Northern Ireland Peace Process) wanted to run for Presidency? McGuinness is an Irish citizen, no more or less than any Southerners, Residency issues are irrelevant. If Sinn Féin had a more credible, experienced candidate from the South, the Southern contingent would definitely have nominated them and not a Northern. But that is not the case. People would make no comments whatsoever about Jurisdiction is Seamus Heaney or John Hume ran. (two very credible candidates)

As for a current office holder running:

It is no different than say Pat the Cope Gallagher deciding to run for the Dáil, and give up his European Parliament seat, only to be asked again to later run for EP because FF don't have a credible candidate. Imagine, he has caused to by elections (the Dáil and EP - Well, EP I do not think went to the public)

Again, Sean T O'Kelly and Dev went straight from Dail to Aras. Paddy Hillery went straight from the Commission to the Aras (at time when he acted as Commissioner for a very important area at the time - SOcial Welfare)

Gay Mitchell is currently holding an EP seat, does that not say much for the his attitude towards his roles.(in fairness there is questions of whether he wanted it or not) Mitchell too will be going back to Bruseels (more than happy to do so) after this election.

Ireland doesn't have an opposition. Fine Gael and Labour have taken power and continued on exactly the same course as Fianna Fáil did. It's as if the ghost of Brian Lenihan still has his hands on the levers even after death.

There is just no way Sinn Féin are going to take over from Fianna Fáil as the main opposition. Trust me, by the time we're into 2013 and unemployment is still at 15% with the government trying to put a levy on medicine for sick orphans, people will flock back to Fianna Fáil. Elections, opinion polls, just about every barometer shows that Sinn Féin support in Ireland has a high water mark of about ~10%.

I fully agree and accept that Fianna Fáil are not dead yet, in the sense that they could not do any worse than they did and that the government parties WILL loose votes at the next Election. Michael Martin may take a more left wing attituded, trying to go back to Fianna Fáil Roots.

But, who is to say that Sinn Féin are that left wing? Its arguable that they might be no different to Fianna Fáil.

Again, as someone says, never say never in politics. One big reason for hosility towards Sinn Féin is its past that some people just can't bear to let go. Its now irrelevant. In time, its politics and economic policies might change and become more credible in the eyes of middle Ireland. Alternatively , it may provide a real left wing alternative. Who knows? I would imagine that Gerry Adams would wished that he was 10 years younger, because provided they don't go into "split" country, they have a formidable machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Am I right in saying that Martin McGuinness will not be able to vote in this election?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if david norris has to pull out over a letter than was written years ago...........than how the hell can a man with a checkered past like martin mcguiness be in the race to begin with

i just can't get my head around it:confused:

dulpit wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that Martin McGuinness will not be able to vote in this election?

He does not reside in the SOuth, so yes. I think Mary McAleese could not vote either - assuming for themselves. Ridiculous. Even the North Unionists should have a vote on the Presidency

What is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He does not reside in the SOuth, so yes. I think Mary McAleese could not vote either - assuming for themselves. Ridiculous. Even the North Unionists should have a vote on the Presidency

What is the point?

All I am saying is that isn't it weird that he isn't eligible to vote, but is able to run? I think that if you're going in front of an electorate you should be part of it, no?

If they change the rules (i'm not in favour of it, but that's just me) then that's fairy nuf, but as of right now it is strange...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

One of the things that makes me laugh about unionists is that they tell us in the south we should mind our own business - and this on .ie forums such as boards, politics.ie and :eek:

- 3 of Ulster's county's are in the ROI if you hadn't noticed.
    - 100,000's of nationalists in the six counties hold Irish passports.
    - Our present president is from Belfast.
    - Sinn Fein are elected on both sides of the border.

Advertisement