Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin McGuinness to be named as Sinn Féins candidate for the Presidential Election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

crucamim wrote: »
    No, I cannot. My post could not have been more clear.

It obviously wasn't.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That is something of an under-statement.

Protestents marched with my uncle for civil rights for catholics you cannot class all peoples by the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

gumtree wrote: »
    Sunday, September 18, 2011

Norris Slams McGuinness

Presidential hopeful David Norris slams Martin McGuinness as SINN FÉIN had Agreed To Nominate Norris and pulled the Sword From Stone.

Mr Norris made no comment to reporters when asked about the matter outside his Dublin home shortly before 10pm, It is understood Mr Norris is to take legal action on the matter

Oh please God let that be true!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Then - if you absolutely must resort to violence - target the violence at the perpetrators of the discrimination; don't murder innocent people.

I agree they should have targetted the loyalist mobs, the orange order and the government of northern ireland so because there was very few innocent people in power in the north at the time.
    The orange order?

The PIRA failed to drag us to the sea. That is all in the history books now. We are still free from Dublin rule and SF are in a losing battle to take our country off us.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

You arent a fan of protestants are you?

That is something of an under-statement.
    What is your view on the reformation? Glorious revolution and the battle of the boyne 1690?

Events which shaped the history of the island and without them, the tri colour would not exist in it's current colours.

The majority of people from the orange side celebrate those events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

K-9 wrote: »
    It obviously wasn't.

What part of my post did you not understand?

Protestents marched with my uncle for civil rights for catholics you cannot class all peoples by the same.

Taking them as you find them is an excellent policy for you - and also for me.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    The orange order?

The PIRA failed to drag us to the sea. That is all in the history books now. We are still free from Dublin rule and SF are in a losing battle to take our country off us.

And your tribe failed to exterminate us in August 1969.

The orange order?

And your tribe failed to exterminate us in August 1969.
    1641 was a huge moment in the psyche of the Protestant people of Ulster. The people who came from the low lands of Scotland.

This was not forgotten about in 69 and the big charlies on the hill took advantage of it.

The PIRA did plenty if it's own killing. The killing/genocide of 200 Protestants in south armagh alone is another example.

1641 was a huge moment in the psyche of the Protestant people of Ulster. The people who came from the low lands of Scotland.

This was not forgotten about in 69 and the big charlies on the hill took advantage of it.

The PIRA did plenty if it's own killing. The killing/genocide of 200 Protestants in south armagh alone is another example.

It was the Protestants who started the killing - and did most of the killing - and more than 90% of the purely sectarian killing.

• Advertisement

Anyway, ignoring the whole religious history side of things from the above.

I don't see the huge fuss over this. I can understand people talking about his past and he is hated amongst people I know and many other people on the island but you don't have to vote for him. He won't win. So it isn't the end of the world.

It is only a PR thing for Sinn Fein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:) Sure there will be great "craic" when "president mcguinness" opens a new community centre on the shankill road :)

I don't see the huge fuss over this. I can understand people talking about his past and he is hated amongst people I know and many other people on the island but you don't have to vote for him. He won't win. So it isn't the end of the world.

I think it is very naive to say he won't win. It really isn't a strong field and it is the type of election he could very easily win.

I don't know what to think of it at all. Could you imagine him doing state visits for the Republic it would be mental.

realies wrote: »
    :) Sure there will be great "craic" when "president mcguinness" opens a new community centre on the shankill road :)
    Has he ever been on the Shankill?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

What next, will a former Red Hand Commando throw his hat into the ring?

Engaged with the peace process - check
    Turned against former paramilitary allies - check
    Knowledgeable about the significance of the sectarian divide - check
    Eligible to run for the Arras - check
    Political party backing - err...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What next, will a former Red Hand Commando throw his hat into the ring?

Engaged with the peace process - check
    Turned against former paramilitary allies - check
    Knowledgeable about the significance of the sectarian divide - check
    Eligible to run for the Arras - check
    Political party backing - err...

If he can get the necessary nomination, he can run. That's democracy for you, you can disagree with someones policies but you can't stop them running. Wonderful system.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It was the Protestants who started the killing - and did most of the killing - and more than 90% of the purely sectarian killing.

Even if that were all true, don't you think the "It was themmuns" mentality did so much harm in NI over 30 years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Martin McGuinness has certainly brought this presidential campaign to life and I am delighted to have the opportunity to vote for Martin. It is very unforunate that people from the six counties do not get to vote for their choice in the election.

Very true. The main component of the "PR thing" is that it will expose the hatred of Northern Ireland Catholics which is so widespread among the chattering classes of Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Very true. The main component of the "PR thing" is that it will expose the hatred of Northern Ireland Catholics which is so widespread among the chattering classes of Eire.
    I am one of your much famed Eirefolk and I have nothing but respect for the majority of Northern Irish Catholics (Id want to most of my family are from NI), Where does that leave me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

" widespread among the chattering classes of Eire "
    That expression alone seems to expose a fair bit of hatred.
    P.s one should only use the term Eire if one is speaking in irish, other wise the country should be called Ireland.

I am one of your much famed Eirefolk and I have nothing but respect for the majority of Northern Irish Catholics (Id want to most of my family are from NI), Where does that leave me?

I did write "widespread". I did not write "universal". I congratulate you on your good taste - having Northern Ireland Catholics among your relations.

anymore wrote: »

" widespread among the chattering classes of Eire "

That expression alone seems to expose a fair bit of hatred.

Very true. I hate those Eirefolk who preach at us as though we are their teenage off-spring who have visited the Protestant neighbour's province and have become a little bit rowdy and so just must be reprimanded by ever so embarrassed parents back down home in Ireland (sic). You might not mean it that way but that is how it comes across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Very true. I hate those Eirefolk who preach at us as though we are their teenage off-spring who have visited the Protestant neighbour's province and have become a little bit rowdy and so just must be reprimanded by ever so embarrassed parents back down home in Ireland (sic). You might not mean it that way but that is how it comes across.

It is up to you how you choose to interpret posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Theirs people on here to expose the hatred of catholics as it is.

anymore wrote: »
    It is up to you how you choose to interpret posts.

Thank you for allowing me to do that. And I have done so. Once again, thank you.

Theirs people on here to expose the hatred of catholics as it is.

Keep up the good work.

I still think that Sinn Fein should keep out of the politics of Eire - and so should all Northern Ireland Catholics. Our interference in the politics of Eire provokes and, indeed, justifies Eirefolk interfering with us. If we leave the politics of Eire to the people of Eire, we will be in a better position to say "Get lost" to any Eire person who dares reprimand us about anything we do to our enemies in our province.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

All this talk of hating Protestants or hating Catholics makes me think this thread should be in the Christianity forum, sub heading 'Inter religious hatred'. Surely the recent troubles in NI were between Irish Republican paramilitaries, Loyalist paramilitaries, and the security forces (Police & Army), Yes! most combatants would have professed to be of one variety of Christianity or another, but I don't think that Protestants generally hated Catholics, or that all Catholics hated Protestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think the sectarianism on display is vile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

says the poster who is constantly rambling on about 'the protestant people of uilster', such hypocrisy

Advertisement