Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The CIMA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Hi Meursault,

I will be in cork city tomorrow if that suits? Are they the current ones?

Starting to worry a bit at this stage.....eek....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Danae1 wrote: »
    Hi Meursault,

Hi Danae

Yeah I'll be around tomorrow in cork alright. The books should be in perfect condition but let me check and I will PM you shortly with the details. Should be up to date alright. The course hasn't changed since 2010

Cheers

Hi Meursault,

Hey Danae, I just checked and I cannot find these books! All I could find was the P1 and Management level books which you are more than welcome to for the same price.

Anyway, apologies for the confusion. The best of luck with your study. Don't worry, you have plenty of time. If you need notes you're more than welcome to mine, free of charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ceriousone

Hi there, does anyone on here still have books for E1 and F1 still for sale? Cheers for any info...

If you are still looking for these let me know, I have the Kaplan books (course manuals and revision kits) for these subjects. Can post from Dublin if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Meursault wrote: »
    Hey Danae, I just checked and I cannot find these books! All I could find was the P1 and Management level books which you are more than welcome to for the same price.

Anyway, apologies for the confusion. The best of luck with your study. Don't worry, you have plenty of time. If you need notes you're more than welcome to mine, free of charge!
    No problem thanks anyway! I would love your notes though!!! Cheers ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

No problem thanks anyway! I would love your notes though!!! Cheers ðŸ˜႒

No problem, just send me a PM the next time you're in Cork at the weekend and I should be able to make it.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Sallymomo are these still for sale? If so are you in kerry/cork/limerick areas by any chance? Which edition books (or pic of front?) are they please?

Sorry Danae, didnt check in to the thread...
    Yep, these are still for sale, I am in Dublin but could post if you wish?
    I bought them brand new this year for the May exams so are probably the last edition of the 2010 syllabus - i can post a pic when I get home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Hi Folks

I have E1, F1 & P1 BPP study texts and practice/revision kits for sale if anyone needs them

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Does anyone have P3 book, exam kit and preferably notes available for sale? In Dublin area.
    Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Rusty Rothar

Anyone repeating a final management level exam and hoping to do the strategic level in November? I was trying to register for the Nov exams today but wasnt able to, think it might be linked to the fact that I'm repeating P2 this Thursday, anyone else have the same problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Anyone repeating a final management level exam and hoping to do the strategic level in November? I was trying to register for the Nov exams today but wasnt able to, think it might be linked to the fact that I'm repeating P2 this Thursday, anyone else have the same problem?

I don't think you will be able to register for the strategic level until you have passed P2. I think it is a prerequisite that you have finished the mangement level.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I don't think you will be able to register for the strategic level until you have passed P2. I think it is a prerequisite that you have finished the mangement level.

Thanks, will drop a mail to CIMA and see what my options are, already jumped the gun and started studying for the November exams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Thanks, will drop a mail to CIMA and see what my options are, already jumped the gun and started studying for the November exams :(

If you pass then you will be able to apply for a late entry. There is a window for this for people taking the extra exams since results don't come out til after normal entries are closed. No extra cost either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BarryT2012

Hi all,

Just starting off on the CIMA journey and at Certificate level. Has anyone got the CIMA Exam Practice Kits they are willing to part with? Specifically CO3 & CO4 as I am going to start with these first but any will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Best of luck to anyone who did the exams this week. Especially the guy who came into the wrong room in dbs this morning. ****ty way to start a strategic exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 feifei_ie

Hi all,

Has anyone got study text or exam kit for CIMA C01, C02, C05 for sale please? I am in Dublin.

Appreciate for an info.

anyone know what time the resit results will be available today? thought they'd be there this morning :(

got my email half hour ago

Still no sign for me, maybe they want to deliver the bad news personally

Still no sign for me, maybe they want to deliver the bad news personally

I presume you have the email communication in your communication preferences, yeah?

Good luck with your results, anyway!!

• Advertisement

I presume you have the email communication in your communication preferences, yeah?

Good luck with your results, anyway!!

Yes, finally realized it was in my Junk folder by mostake. Some nervous hours in the morning digging around for it but good news in the end, cheers

Trying to figure out how many exams to have a crack at in November, whats the most any of you guys have entered in one sitting apart from the mandatory 3 strategic?

kilburn wrote: »
    Trying to figure out how many exams to have a crack at in November, whats the most any of you guys have entered in one sitting apart from the mandatory 3 strategic?

2 is the most I attempt, at 42 I can't study for long after 8-9 hours of work.
    The best you could do is try to finish a level in November to avoid a case study.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nasned26

Hi

Does anybody have P1 study materials for sale in the Munster area?

Sitting strategic in November. I am going to focus on F3 and P3, because I think these two are harder and i dont fancy having to attempt numerical questions on computer next spring.

I am just wondering about E3. Do I need to actually turn up, or will I get penalised for not attending?

I really dont think I am going to have the time to spend studying this. I dont want to risk studying for 3 and then narrowly failing all three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Meursault wrote: »
    Sitting strategic in November. I am going to focus on F3 and P3, because I think these two are harder and i dont fancy having to attempt numerical questions on computer next spring.

I am just wondering about E3. Do I need to actually turn up, or will I get penalised for not attending?

I really dont think I am going to have the time to spend studying this. I dont want to risk studying for 3 and then narrowly failing all three.

Yes you need to turn up for all 3. You have to wait an hour before you can leave also!

Yes you need to turn up for all 3. You have to wait an hour before you can leave also!

ok thanks for the heads up!

Hi All, did anyone at strategic level take a look at the pre seen case study yet? Any initial thoughts?

from a P3 perspective the only obvious thing that jumped out at me was risk

for F3, I guess there will be the performance measurement formulae

I have no idea about E3, because I havent even looked at that subject yet

anyway, it would be interesting to get your thoughts on it.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

A few rambling notes I made when I read it first.

*International customers and suppliers. (usual international difficulties & and possibility of adding a non EU section)

*Brand image. (luxury as per mission statement, product diversity, not allowing franchises etc to drop standards)

*MSC & MC. (possible synergies)

*Not much left to be done ethically.

* Un-seasonalise. (increase contract sales, huge marketing campaign)

* Increase online corporate sales.

* Online click and collect. (stop closing stores or get more partners)

* Rationalise number of high street stores?

* Drop in forecast profit. (dividend, market value)

* How to finance borrowing repayments.

* Usual ratio stuff (check for weak results)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boo-yaw-ka-shaa

Hey all, I'm thinking of going the CIMA route and will be starting from scratch so doing the 5 fundamentals for the cert first. Am based in Cork and just wondering are all the computer based exams centres in Dublin or are there some outside the Pale???

also what are people's views overall with the CIMA qualification?? Mostly positive?? it seems to be looked on very favourably by employers these days.

Hey all, I'm thinking of going the CIMA route and will be starting from scratch so doing the 5 fundamentals for the cert first. Am based in Cork and just wondering are all the computer based exams centres in Dublin or are there some outside the Pale???

also what are people's views overall with the CIMA qualification?? Mostly positive?? it seems to be looked on very favourably by employers these days.

Hi, I have followed up with the CIMA contact for Ireland on your question regarding exam locations. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back from them

the best of luck with whatever route you choose. there are pros and cons to all the different accounting qualifications, but if you are planning on working in Industry (rather than private practice) then it seems CIMA or ACCA is the way to go. Just to let you know, the percentage at which you pass the CIMA professional exams is going up from Jan when the new syllabus comes in to effect. from my understanding, to pass you will need to get 70%. here is some info from CIMA:

http://www.cimaglobal.com/Students/Exam-resources-and-information/What-does-it-mean-for-me/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

The pass mark for objective tests is 70%. For the it integrated case study exams it is 60%.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Achilles24

Hi all,
    I have recently decided to do the CIMA qualification. I am working full time but have a degree in Retail and services management where I did financial subjects over the 4 years in DIT Mountjoy square. Will I be able to qualify for the professional course do you think?
    Thanks in advance

Achilles24 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have recently decided to do the CIMA qualification. I am working full time but have a degree in Retail and services management where I did financial subjects over the 4 years in DIT Mountjoy square. Will I be able to qualify for the professional course do you think?
    Thanks in advance

Hi Achilles24,

The degree you have might give you some exemptions - not sure how many, but you can check that with CIMA directly.
    If you are not entitled to exemptions, you'll have to start from the certificate level. That's not necessarily a bad thing (bar the money that it will cost you), as it will give you a starting boost for when you proceed to the professional qualification.

I'd suggest you start by what exemptions CIMA would give you for your degree.

Hi Achilles24,

The degree you have might give you some exemptions - not sure how many, but you can check that with CIMA directly.
    If you are not entitled to exemptions, you'll have to start from the certificate level. That's not necessarily a bad thing (bar the money that it will cost you), as it will give you a starting boost for when you proceed to the professional qualification.

I'd suggest you start by what exemptions CIMA would give you for your degree.

Thanks for the reply.
    How long does it take to complete the certificate level in general?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.
    How long does it take to complete the certificate level in general?

it depends on how much time you'll have for studying.
    It took me 6 months for the 5 papers. I have heard people that finished it quicker than that, I reckon though that a paper a month is a decent enough pace to grasp the basic concepts of each paper.

it depends on how much time you'll have for studying.
    It took me 6 months for the 5 papers. I have heard people that finished it quicker than that, I reckon though that a paper a month is a decent enough pace to grasp the basic concepts of each paper.

Thanks Irish Aris, that isn't bad at all... I don't mind that. Thought it might take a year plus so that's good news. I've applied for my transcripts from the college so I'll forward them to CIMA and see what happens!

Thanks Irish Aris, that isn't bad at all... I don't mind that. Thought it might take a year plus so that's good news. I've applied for my transcripts from the college so I'll forward them to CIMA and see what happens!

Good luck with your studying!!
    It's not an easy qualification, but it is a very interesting one!!

Good luck with your studying!!
    It's not an easy qualification, but it is a very interesting one!!

One last question, once you've completed the operational and management level, do you achieve a diploma? Once you complete the strategic level an advanced diploma and then obviously full qualification after top CIMA?

One last question, once you've completed the operational and management level, do you achieve a diploma? Once you complete the strategic level an advanced diploma and then obviously full qualification after top CIMA?

With the changes in the syllabus from next year, the old T4 case study doesn't exist anymore.
    Instead you will have a case study at each of the 3 levels of the qualification.
    I believe that you achieve a diploma in each of the 3 levels-I am still at the operational level so haven't seen any yet, but I believe that you get the first diploma after the operational level, the advanced after the management level and the full qualification after the strategic level (and after submitting your practical experience).

Hope this helps.
    There is a section in the cimaglobal.com website regarding the new syllabus, you might find it quite useful for info.

• Advertisement

With the changes in the syllabus from next year, the old T4 case study doesn't exist anymore.
    Instead you will have a case study at each of the 3 levels of the qualification.
    I believe that you achieve a diploma in each of the 3 levels-I am still at the operational level so haven't seen any yet, but I believe that you get the first diploma after the operational level, the advanced after the management level and the full qualification after the strategic level (and after submitting your practical experience).

Hope this helps.
    There is a section in the cimaglobal.com website regarding the new syllabus, you might find it quite useful for info.

Thanks for all of the information Irish Aris. I will have a look. Best of luck in your studies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

just started college for BB (Honours) in Accounting YR 1,

Good luck to everyone sitting exams the next 3 days.
    Hope we can all have great results!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Hi all CIMA folk!

Just wondering if you think there is any value in a qualified ACA adding a CIMA qualification.

I trained and have worked in audit for 8 years, but (finally) moving to a role in industry (manufacturing) in the new year. I'd consider myself very strong on the financial accounting side of things, but my only experience of cost accounting/management/strategy are from my college exams (8-10 years ago) and my ACA exams (6-7 years ago). It's all very rusty.

So my reasoning for going for the qualification would definitely be more to do with increasing my knowledge of managerial accounting rather than improving my CV. I'd hope to stay in this new job for many years. Would I be as well to just buy a book or two and do some homestudying, or should I go for the qualification. From what I've been reading, if I pass a gateway exam I only have to do the final set of CIMA exams.

Would my years in audit count as the necessary practical experience?

Thanks for your help in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Good luck to everyone sitting exams the next 3 days.
    Hope we can all have great results!!

Hey Aris,
    What did you think of P1 & F1?

sallymomo wrote: »
    Hey Aris,
    What did you think of P1 & F1?

I found P1 a bit difficult especially sections A & B.
    there were things that were rather unexpected - not necessarily difficult but very rarely examined.
    And completely thrown away by the 11 marks on replacement cycles. I don't think the theory has ever been examined.

F1 had less surprises and most of the items were in my (and I guess most students) radar.
    Just a couple of tricky items in the big questions (the held for sale and discontinued in the published accounts and the share issue in the consolidations), but I thought sections A & B offered many marks.

Having said that, I believe that I have done better in P1 than F1 - mainly because I expect very good marks in the variances and investment appraisal. I am quite confident that I have passed both of them.

How did you do, sallymomo?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 my username

Hi all,

Another question from someone with a non finance background. I've been working for 5 years and have a non finance degree. Ideally my goal is working towards being a financial analyst in the industry I currently work in. Is CIMA a good idea for this? If I get the cert, how likely is it that I can get some kind of junior accounting/analysis role in order to get the experience for the full qualification?

Thanks

Did anyone sit the Strategy exams in November? How did you find them?

I thought P3 was fine, until i started reading some opinions on the CIMA website!

I found F3 very tricky. I really wanted to get that one out of the way before the course changes in January.

didnt even study for E3, so I probably deservedly fail that one.

Hi all, I'm currently doing the C05 in cima. I have exemptions in basic maths and economics. It's been 14 years since I finished college so was going to do them again. However I'm now thinking of using the exemptions so I can move to professional level quicker. Question is, will the content examined at professional level be done in the course of the classes I will attend for it or could I struggle by not having covered the 2 courses during cert level?
    Thanks in advance

Hi all, I'm currently doing the C05 in cima. I have exemptions in basic maths and economics. It's been 14 years since I finished college so was going to do them again. However I'm now thinking of using the exemptions so I can move to professional level quicker. Question is, will the content examined at professional level be done in the course of the classes I will attend for it or could I struggle by not having covered the 2 courses during cert level?
    Thanks in advance

Hello Achilles,
    If you do classes (with a tuition provider I assume), most likely you will be fine. I will admit that I found doing the Certificate level quite useful, but most tuition provider are exam oriented, so they cover what usually comes up in the exams. Bear in mind that this was the way with the old syllabus. Not sure how the new way of examinations will affect this.

I was at a conference at CIMA offices on Saturday where they presented some more details on how the new Syllabus and exams will look like. I have to say I am not fully convinced. The exams could potentially become very hard to pass. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but there are a couple of elements that I'd consider them a bit punishing towards the students.

I'd say the first couple of months might turn into a nightmare. Myself I'm not planning on sitting any exams until April.

• Advertisement
Advertisement