Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a fireplace for a stove

Options
  • 19-11-2013 7:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Quite a long question but here goes.

I have a 1960's house with an open fire in the front room.

I've tried to light it over the years and all that happens is the room becomes engulfued in smoke.
    I've had the chimney swept but it didnt help in any way.

My next door neighbour told me that the houses were originally fitted with an experimental "aga" style range(only a lot smaller) and are not flued properly for an open fire.

I've had a nice fireplace fitted some years ago and at the moment it's only for show.

What i'd like to do is have a wood-burning stove(or similar) in the hearth to heat the room and provide a bit of a feature.

Would it be expensive to re-flue the chimney for a stove and is it possible to get a compact stove suitable for just heating downstairs without radiators?

Much as i'd love to attempt this myslef i'd rather leave it to a professional so if anybody can help drop me a PM.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You could potentially flexi flue it but it'd have to be reviewed.

Call somebody out and ask them to have a look !

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Chopper
    Any idea of the flue size in chimney as it is ?. The size of flue may be affecting an open fire.
    NW

Advertisement