Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Hi guys

Im looking for some advice on training courses for stove installation. I've tried Metac & Chevron & both have stopped running the course. it's been a very long time since i've installed a link up of solid/oil systems & of late, have been getting a lot of calls about installing such systems. I obviously hate to turn down the work however im not the kind of chap that would leave bad, unsafe work after me, hence my search for stove installers courses, can anyone direct me to such a thing, do they exist & if not, why not, as you all know a poorly designed system like this could be very dangerous & training is vital imo, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Mark

p.s, I've heard there's one running near Belfast, is there any closer to home (Dublin)?

Oriel flues in Ardee run Hetas courses give them a shout for Wet installations it is a 4 day course.If you look up Hetas courses it the H004 for wet but you have to do the H003 first

• Registered Users Posts: 34 creation mark

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Oriel flues in Ardee run Hetas courses give them a shout for Wet installations it is a 4 day course.If you look up Hetas courses it the H004 for wet but you have to do the H003 first

Thanks Robbie, much appreciated mate.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Moh72

I fitted a mulberry stoker fire front door a month ago very happy with the door itself but have a problem with the brackets supplied they are not suitable for my fire.Mulberry were not very helpful said it was the fitters fault nowhere does it say in the instructions that it had to be a certain type of insert. Hopefully we have it fixed now but no thanks to mulberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Southie40

No fire grate or ash tray in wood burner, wood just burns on a flat bed with air from top control only
    Price roughly the same, heat output also the same ( heat is dependent on the fuel not the stove)
    A good multi fuel will allow you to close the bottom air and possibly the grate also to turn it into a wood burner so the efficiency will then be the same also.
    A wood burner requires very dry wood\15% moisture or less it will struggle to burn irish timber
    Get a multi fuel stove but try to get a good one, there are no good quality cheap stoves available, you get exactly what you pay for.

hi stoveman wondering if you can help me out. Have you ever sized a stove for use in conjunction with solo radiators??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 blue100

Hi, installed a Stanley Cara insert a few days ago and as per instructions waited 2 days to let cement set. However, fire when lit is totally underwhelming....less heat than open fire! Texted installer who said light a couple of small fires first and then a decent one and should be fine. Instruction manual says 'first few fires should be set relatively small to permit the refractory to set properly and to season the stove'. Anybody have similar experience? Would be good to know this is normal and all will be ok in a couple of days............

Thanks.

• Advertisement

blue100 wrote: »
    Hi, installed a Stanley Cara insert a few days ago and as per instructions waited 2 days to let cement set. However, fire when lit is totally underwhelming....less heat than open fire! Texted installer who said light a couple of small fires first and then a decent one and should be fine. Instruction manual says 'first few fires should be set relatively small to permit the refractory to set properly and to season the stove'. Anybody have similar experience? Would be good to know this is normal and all will be ok in a couple of days............

Thanks.
    Have fitted about 30 of them no probs everybody very happy with them.What you burning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for thin-wall not twin-wall. Thanks

I must have gone to 5 different stove/hardware shops looking for cheap thin-wall steel stove pipe (specifying I DON'T want or need Stainless steel, vitreous enamel, and particularly twin- or triple- wall stuff).

All I get is this LECTURE, as in:

"Oh you can't use that!!
    People dying all over the place!!
    Carbon Monoxide!!
    etc. etc."

Only interested in selling me stuff at €50 a metre.

I don't WANT or NEED that! It's NOT what I asked you for!

Sorry - Rant over, before the chimney police track me down..

Have fitted about 30 of them no probs everybody very happy with them.What you burning

Smokeless coal - recommended fuel....

did all the one's you fitted pump out heat straight away or take a few fires to get going?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maeve1308

I am really glad I joined boards .ie, I followed advice I got from stove an and called out to the parkway, the owner himself called in to me and identified my no working stove as a RIVA 40, told me it was badly installed, sent out his installers reinstalled stove , lined chimney etc , and now my room is glowing, I applaud them for their honesty as I told them to take it out and replace it, I am still going to get a new one, either Morso, Boru or Stanley, any ideas anyone, I will let ye know what happens, once again thank you stoveman for pointing me in the right direction, also thank ye ryanstoves for yer honesty and professionalism, I have already told all my friends, Maeve now warm and happy,

Smokeless coal - recommended fuel....

did all the one's you fitted pump out heat straight away or take a few fires to get going?

Thanks.
    Fairly straight away.you have the burn off for the first few lights but then it should be grand.What setup is your flue is the adaptor used Or did you go for flexi liner.
    Are you using your dampers top one closed and bottom one opened for lighting when established close down bottom damper and opentopslider one about half should give you all the heat you need.If not check that you 2 baffles are fitted correctly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

I must have gone to 5 different stove/hardware shops looking for cheap thin-wall steel stove pipe (specifying I DON'T want or need Stainless steel, vitreous enamel, and particularly twin- or triple- wall stuff).

All I get is this LECTURE, as in:

"Oh you can't use that!!
    People dying all over the place!!
    Carbon Monoxide!!
    etc. etc."

Only interested in selling me stuff at €50 a metre.

I don't WANT or NEED that! It's NOT what I asked you for!

Sorry - Rant over, before the chimney police track me down..
    Why does it have to be thin wall?

Fairly straight away.you have the burn off for the first few lights but then it should be grand.What setup is your flue is the adaptor used Or did you go for flexi liner.
    Are you using your dampers top one closed and bottom one opened for lighting when established close down bottom damper and opentopslider one about half should give you all the heat you need.If not check that you 2 baffles are fitted correctly

Thanks, Robbie. Flexi liner. Yes using the dampers that way. Will give it a good blast today (3rd fire) but if no joy will call installer.

Thanks, Robbie. Flexi liner. Yes using the dampers that way. Will give it a good blast today (3rd fire) but if no joy will call installer.
    Make sure there is a permanently open vent in the room and a carbon monoxide detector to be on the safe side

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be thin wall?

It doesn't. It just has to be cheap.

It doesn't. It just has to be cheap.
    You get what you pay for. Thin wall is a fire hazard on solid fuel

You get what you pay for. Thin wall is a fire hazard on solid fuel

Another feckin lecture! I'm not stupid. I know what I want, why I want it, and what is best for my project.

I just want some thin walled stovepipe ffs. Can it be that difficult to simply get advice as to where I could get it, without getting unhelpful advice as to why I shouldn't use it, PARTICULARLY since only I know what I want it for!

Grrrr!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'm going to put a stove into a sitting room and I'm wondering how accurate those stove output calculators are?the rooms is 23FT x 15FT x 8FT high .Is it best to get a stove with a higher output or lower output and use it at fully capacity?

Another feckin lecture! I'm not stupid. I know what I want, why I want it, and what is best for my project.

I just want some thin walled stovepipe ffs. Can it be that difficult to simply get advice as to where I could get it, without getting unhelpful advice as to why I shouldn't use it, PARTICULARLY since only I know what I want it for!

Grrrr!

:mad:
    If you want thin walled pipe and are going to use it for a stove then no responsible person would sell it to you. Why can't you take advise from people that know more about this than you?
    On the other hand if you want thin walked pipe and are NOT using it for a stove just buy some single wall stainless steel flue. There's different grades. Just buy the lightest stuff off MI flues. If you use that stuff on a stove then just call 999

If you want thin walled pipe and are going to use it for a stove then no responsible person would sell it to you. Why can't you take advise from people that know more about this than you?
    On the other hand if you want thin walked pipe and are NOT using it for a stove just buy some single wall stainless steel flue. There's different grades. Just buy the lightest stuff off MI flues. If you use that stuff on a stove then just call 999

What arrogance!

How you can suggest that you know more than me about what I want to do is beyond comprehension. I want to get advice on where I might be able to buy what I want; I DON'T want lectures or advise on why I shouldn't want it in the first place, ESPECIALLY as you don't know what I want it for!

If you can't help me, please don't hinder me by unhelpful, unwanted opinions.

What arrogance!

How you can suggest that you know more than me about what I want to do is beyond comprehension. I want to get advice on where I might be able to buy what I want; I DON'T want lectures or advise on why I shouldn't want it in the first place, ESPECIALLY as you don't know what I want it for!

If you can't help me, please don't hinder me by unhelpful, unwanted opinions.
    Read the second last line from my last post

• Advertisement

Read the second last line from my last post

I specifically said that I didn't want stainless steel in the post to which you originally responded. Didn't want it then; don't want it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Whatever pipe you get I'm sure you'll have no shortage of hot air!

I specifically said that I didn't want stainless steel in the post to which you originally responded. Didn't want it then; don't want it now!
    Is it 6" pipe you're after?

Whatever pipe you get I'm sure you'll have no shortage of hot air!

Hilarious.... And you even got a "Thanks" from Dtp. Can't wait for the 3rd Stooge to surface!

Hilarious.... And you even got a "Thanks" from Dtp. Can't wait for the 3rd Stooge to surface!
    Lighten up will ya!! What size pipe you after and how long?

Tomonboard try ringing oriel flues in Ardee ask for Michael in the design office and tell him what your after and he will proberly be able to sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Is it true that it is advisable only to have single wall(?) i.e. not twin wall flue internally up to a certain height (even if it is bracketed), due to the heat rising carrying the smoke? Or can I have it as high as I like? its a double height space and I was told I would have to bring it outside after approx 2-3 m

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Is it true that it is advisable only to have single wall(?) i.e. not twin wall flue internally up to a certain height (even if it is bracketed), due to the heat rising carrying the smoke? Or can I have it as high as I like? its a double height space and I was told I would have to bring it outside after approx 2-3 m

thanks

Off topic but did anyone else have problems with there Stove yesterday.
    Had serious down draft on my 2 stove the wind kept putting them out.

thanks
    Single wall can go up to 3 times the diameter of it to combustible materials.In other words if you ran single off the top of a stove it can go within 18 inches to the ceiling if using 6 inch flue.At double height it would be about 3mtrs the into twin wall if doing that bring it up to black twin wall inside it makes it look better.Its just some people don't like the look of the stainless steel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

single wall should only rise 1.5 meter's off stove, then change to twin wall as any further would cool flue gas temp,

Advertisement