Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Hello again.

Sorry if I should start a seperate thread for this. Not sure. Anyway I was here a while ago with a photo of my stove. Anyway, I have identified it as an Evergreen Holly ST1017.

The back bolier is no longer working on it. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a replacement boiler for this stove. Also how much the boiler would cost and the cost of fitting it are major considerations also.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Arsenium wrote: »
    Hello again.

Sorry if I should start a seperate thread for this. Not sure. Anyway I was here a while ago with a photo of my stove. Anyway, I have identified it as an Evergreen Holly ST1017.

The back bolier is no longer working on it. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a replacement boiler for this stove. Also how much the boiler would cost and the cost of fitting it are major considerations also.

Thanks in advance.
    In what way has it stopped working? Usually the only reason to change a boiler would be if it's leaking

Dtp79 wrote: »
    In what way has it stopped working? Usually the only reason to change a boiler would be if it's leaking

Yep. Leaking. I noticed the ashes were wet a few times then one morning I came down and there was a load of water under the stove. The boiler is disconnected now so the stove is no real benefit now apart from the heat it throws to the room.

Also, as a result of the leak it appears my rads have gotten clogged up. As they are heating now at the top and the sides but not in the middle.

So I need to get these flushed out. Then once I can verify that fixes the rads, either get a replacement back boiler and have it fitted / reconnected, or just take the hit and buy a new stove.

So I am trying to work out my options here.

Thanks again.

Yep. Leaking. I noticed the ashes were wet a few times then one morning I came down and there was a load of water under the stove. The boiler is disconnected now so the stove is no real benefit now apart from the heat it throws to the room.

Also, as a result of the leak it appears my rads have gotten clogged up. As they are heating now at the top and the sides but not in the middle.

So I need to get these flushed out. Then once I can verify that fixes the rads, either get a replacement back boiler and have it fitted / reconnected, or just take the hit and buy a new stove.

So I am trying to work out my options here.

Thanks again.
    One way or the other your gonna need a proper flush. That's approx 500. Don't be fooled by cheap flushes being advertised.
    I've never had to change the boiler only in a Stanley stove and Stanley cookers. Did you price a new back boiler?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    One way or the other your gonna need a proper flush. That's approx 500. Don't be fooled by cheap flushes being advertised.
    I've never had to change the boiler only in a Stanley stove and Stanley cookers. Did you price a new back boiler?

I contacted a place in Wexford who said the particular type of stove is an economy stove so they dont do the boiler for them. The lady reckoned replacing the boiler (cost of boiler and plumber etc) would be similar to the price of a new stove (well that particular stove).

Then I contacted a place in the UK who said the boiler can be replaced and it costs 289 sterling delivered (I presume delivered in the UK). They said the stove has to be taken apart from the front and re-sealed professionally then to do this job. It has a 16Kw boiler which in fairness is a little small anyway, even if it was working properly. So I think I have to take the pain and look at a new stove. After getting the rads flushed.

By proper flush I presume you mean taking them down and flushing them out and then putting them back on again? There are 12 rads in the house. Would 500 cover that?

Thanks for all the info.. I appreciate it :-)

• Advertisement

I contacted a place in Wexford who said the particular type of stove is an economy stove so they dont do the boiler for them. The lady reckoned replacing the boiler (cost of boiler and plumber etc) would be similar to the price of a new stove (well that particular stove).

Then I contacted a place in the UK who said the boiler can be replaced and it costs 289 sterling delivered (I presume delivered in the UK). They said the stove has to be taken apart from the front and re-sealed professionally then to do this job. It has a 16Kw boiler which in fairness is a little small anyway, even if it was working properly. So I think I have to take the pain and look at a new stove. After getting the rads flushed.

By proper flush I presume you mean taking them down and flushing them out and then putting them back on again? There are 12 rads in the house. Would 500 cover that?

Thanks for all the info.. I appreciate it :-)
    No a proper flush as in using a flushing machine ( not mains water ) that washes out the rads with water at high velocity. No rads are removed from the wall. Chemicals are also used in conjunction with this and after the flush another chemical is added.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 marber1978

Sorry guys dont want to clog up the post, I've read through the posts and can't find an answer to my question .. Wonder if any of ye can help me?

I've just built an extension and am kicking myself as I have changed my mind re the position of the stove in the new sitting room!

I was thinking of putting it in the middle of the room with the double rad on the adjacent wall... However now I'm thinking of putting it in the corner of the room.. But the problem is the double rad starts about a metre away from that corner.. There's also a double plug socket on the wall.. The stove won't be with a back boiler or connected to the rads in any way, but just wondering are ere any regs re proximity of rads to multi fuel stoves???

Also I'm looking at the Morso contemporary range.. Any tips or feedback on this model???

All help gratefully appreciated! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    It doesn't. It just has to be cheap.

Try eBay

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Stove Man

marber1978 wrote: »
    Sorry guys dont want to clog up the post, I've read through the posts and can't find an answer to my question .. Wonder if any of ye can help me?

I've just built an extension and am kicking myself as I have changed my mind re the position of the stove in the new sitting room!

I was thinking of putting it in the middle of the room with the double rad on the adjacent wall... However now I'm thinking of putting it in the corner of the room.. But the problem is the double rad starts about a metre away from that corner.. There's also a double plug socket on the wall.. The stove won't be with a back boiler or connected to the rads in any way, but just wondering are ere any regs re proximity of rads to multi fuel stoves???

Also I'm looking at the Morso contemporary range.. Any tips or feedback on this model???

You would need the plastic control knob on the rad to be approx 500mm away from the stove to ensure it does not melt, your riser to the rad should be copper not plastic so no issue there.

The morso contemporary range are top class as are nearly all morso stoves, however they are best suited to burning wood only as it looks and works better than coal

Go to a stove shop and ask them to send out a fitter for a free survey to make sure the stove will work in the position you want, if the flue is going up through roof or out through wall they will need a survey to check if it will work

If you are going to spend over 2k on a stove and flue a free survey is the least you should expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Hi folks,just wondering could anyone help.
    Currently have a 16" gas insert fire in the kitchen with a back boiler behind it from when we had coal. The fire place in the sitting room is back to back with this, but has a separate flue.
    Considering getting the cara plus insert stove http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/room-heat-central-heating/solid-fuel/caraplus-insert-stove.aspx

All the original piping for the back boiler is still in place would just need to be reconnected, or would the original back boiler need to be removed and piping replaced.

Would anything be needed to be done to the fire place in the sitting room as well.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Hi Guys,
    Just trying to tap into the knowledge base here if you don't mind.

I am looking to gt an insert stove with boiler, our house is a small 3 bed cottege with 7 rads. The sitting room to which the insert is going into is very small and I don't want to be roasted out of it once the stove is in place.

I am down to three options I think,

The Chieftan insert by Brou 2k to room and 15k to the water,

The Henley Achill boiler 3.8 to the room and 11.2 to water or

The Stratford Ecoboiler, 3 to the room and 7k to the water.

The sitting room size is 12'x14' height standard. The house is well insulated with cavity and roof recently done.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Tinder what size are the rads? Is one of those rads in the sitting room? You won't be roasted out of it in your sitting room with any insert boiler stove. Our sitting room is 16x12 so thats roughly the same as yours. We have the Yola 17kw insert. 14 to water and 3 to room. We also have a long double rad in sittingroom which is always on. We find the Yola great to heat the rads. Nice big window and a very big firebox. There are 2 other Yola inserts. A 10 and a 12 kw.

Hi Brainne,

Yes there is a rad on the wall in the sitting room, all the rads are single rads.

4 rads are 150x50 2 bedroom, sitting room and kitchen
    2 are 90x50 box room and hallway
    and the bathroom is a double rad 50x50

Thanks in advance.

T

Just to give you an idea, our sitting room and kitchen rads are 162x50 (both double). The hall and 1 bedroom are same length but single. The other 3 bedrooms are 132x50, all single. I think you need a lesser output to rads than what we have. Especially the fact you're house is so well insulated, ours is not that well insulated as yours. You still need an output of at least 3 to room I reckon. As I mentioned we have 3 to room plus double rad on all time.
    The Chieftan is only 2 to room which is not much and 15 to water. You dont need 15 to water. The Stratford seems to have a very good name but 7 could be too low to water for you. The Henley would be most suited of the 3 you mention. Don't know anything about it. Again we're very pleased with the Yola and its totally Irish made and the 12 output one could be the best for you. Theres also a Firebird insert, totally Irish made and we went to see that with somebody that had it and they were really pleased with it.

Thanks a mill Brainne

Leaning towards the Hanley to be honest, saw it yesterday. Must look up the firebird.

t

The Henley Achill does'nt seem to be a boiler stove. If you could ask the guy where you're purchasing could he tell you of somebody that has the stove you're interested in and try and get to see it working before you buy. Thats what we did with a few different types. People are only glad to let you see their stoves. Also shop around for best prices. We did'nt and paid way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

marber1978 wrote: »

I have the morso 1448 and am really happy with it. I also have a stanley tara but it is not a patch on the morso

• Registered Users Posts: 3 maeve1308

Tinder wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Just trying to tap into the knowledge base here if you don't mind.

I am looking to gt an insert stove with boiler, our house is a small 3 bed cottege with 7 rads. The sitting room to which the insert is going into is very small and I don't want to be roasted out of it once the stove is in place.

I am down to three options I think,

The Chieftan insert by Brou 2k to room and 15k to the water,

The Henley Achill boiler 3.8 to the room and 11.2 to water or

The Stratford Ecoboiler, 3 to the room and 7k to the water.

The sitting room size is 12'x14' height standard. The house is well insulated with cavity and roof recently done.

Any advise is greatly appreciated

T
    hi maeve1308 here, my neighbour put in a Charnwood slx45 only last week, she shopped around and went for the Charnwood as it is on the market a long time, it's made in the uk, unlike Henley as I now know are brought in from china, and we are led to believe they are made in Kerry, anyway she is over the moon with her stove, the places she recommended were Ryan stoves( whom I just dealt with and very happy ) or Murphys hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Anyone know any suppliers of double sided stoves?

Brianne wrote: »
    The Henley Achill does'nt seem to be a boiler stove. If you could ask the guy where you're purchasing could he tell you of somebody that has the stove you're interested in and try and get to see it working before you buy. Thats what we did with a few different types. People are only glad to let you see their stoves. Also shop around for best prices. We did'nt and paid way too much.

Thanks Brainne.

They have made it into a boiler stove, I know it's weird that it is not on their website at the moment, but I saw it in the flesh and have a brochure at home. The made in china bit is putting me off a bit, will that make much difference, most things are made in China these days.

• Advertisement

Some people would'nt go for a stove made in China as they feel the quality is inferior. Thats only what I've read by some posters on this forum so personally I don't know. A lot of the big names like Stanley etc don't seem to be Irish made anymore. I'm sure there are lots of people here with stoves made in China and are happy with them. It did put me off a bit I must say so I was happy to go with an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Brianne wrote: »
    Firebird insert, totally Irish made and we went to see that with somebody that had it and they were really pleased with it.

My Parents are not happy with their 17Kw Firebird, Lot's of Smoke pours in to room as soon as door is opened, burning dried hardwood (Ash/Elder etc.)
    The Suppliers are blaming the installer, not their problem.
    The Installer has been doing stoves for years here and UK.
    His first time with the Firebird.
    Wasn't Impressed with the room heating 2Kw ?? But water heating not bad
    I would loved to have gotten an Irish made stove but Yola has Min 5 weeks waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

Can anyone here tell me why my stove gives out loads of smoke when i refuel it? When i open the door its ok but then when I put in coal or timber loads of smoke comes out the top, would a down draught be the problem??
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 blue100

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Fairly straight away.you have the burn off for the first few lights but then it should be grand.What setup is your flue is the adaptor used Or did you go for flexi liner.
    Are you using your dampers top one closed and bottom one opened for lighting when established close down bottom damper and opentopslider one about half should give you all the heat you need.If not check that you 2 baffles are fitted correctly

Hi Robbie, I'm still having issues. Installer called today and said everything is fitted properly. He brought his own fuel (ecobright coal) and thought the heat output was ok for the period he was there, but I am not convinced. The unit heats up but isn't giving out any greater heat, in my view, than an open fire. With the cold evenings, I need the radiator on in the room too, which I really think shouldn't be the case. (Per measurements room requires 5.5kw, stove is supposed to give out 6.5kw.)

With an insert stove, I believe that the convection mechanism works such that the heat comes out the vents above the door. Should I feel heat coming out the top? I don't at present, main heat is through the glass panel. I am concerned that the convection mechanism isn't working properly. I would appreciate any advice you (or other posters) may have. Thanks.

jezko wrote: »
    My Parents are not happy with their 17Kw Firebird, Lot's of Smoke pours in to room as soon as door is opened, burning dried hardwood (Ash/Elder etc.)
    The Suppliers are blaming the installer, not their problem.
    The Installer has been doing stoves for years here and UK.
    His first time with the Firebird.
    Wasn't Impressed with the room heating 2Kw ?? But water heating not bad
    I would loved to have gotten an Irish made stove but Yola has Min 5 weeks waiting list.

Thats very disappointing. There was a stage and we were going to go with that so glad we did'nt. Is it only 2 to room, thats very little. Certainly any insert won't roast the room on their own. You're really depending on them to heat the rads well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hi everyone.

Hoping to go with an arched insert non boiler multifuel stove (be it new or secondhand, presumably the former is best). 18". I gather that the arch dimensions seem to be standard enough, so all I need really are recommendations, and just a clarification on the install itself. It's a modern (lined chimney) so will I need a flue? Additionally, when it comes to install, is it a simple matter of fitting the insert, sealing with fire rope, and the same with the stove itself?

Many thanks, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Sorry, I should have added that I'm looking in the 7kW range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Hi I was hoping to put an inset back boiler stove in an upstairs sitting room. The hot water cylinder is on same floor and then the water tank is one floor above in attic.
    Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Hi I was hoping to put an inset back boiler stove in an upstairs sitting room. The hot water cylinder is on same floor and then the water tank is one floor above in attic.
    Is this possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hootanany wrote: »
    Off topic but did anyone else have problems with there Stove yesterday.
    Had serious down draft on my 2 stove the wind kept putting them out.

Cheers to all:o

Advertisement