Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vfitzpatrick

Hi All!

I'm sorry if something similar has been asked already! I'm building a house at the moment which is air tight with the heat recovery system in it! I have decided to put a stove in but i have already got foundations in and am wondering if it can be done considering i have no external air supply at the moment. can anybody tell me if there is an easy way to do this or do i have to create this external air supply?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

raglan wrote: »
    Hi Stove Fan,
    Like EMG74, we have recently installed a Stratford stove but it's EB16. I have a question about the pipe stat linked to the pump. Our plumber had it set at 50 degrees, but stove seemd to take ages to heat water so we put it higher to 70. We are currently experimenting with the stove and thermostatic controls etc...to maximise use of it but is there any specific reason pipe stat should be set at 45-55, or are we doing harm with the higher setting??? Thanks for your help.

45 degrees is the minimum return temperature to prevent condensation forming on the back boiler so setting it between 45-55 degrees is the correct setting.
    At 70 degrees it would get the domestic hot water hotter but take longer to switch the pump on to heat the rads. 50 degrees sounds about right. If your burning turf please bear in mind the heat output is far reduced than coal or wood. You will need a blazing fire going to initially heat the rads. Put the boiler thermostat on max.
    How big is your system, saves me going back to see?

Stove Fan:)

Hi All!

I'm sorry if something similar has been asked already! I'm building a house at the moment which is air tight with the heat recovery system in it! I have decided to put a stove in but i have already got foundations in and am wondering if it can be done considering i have no external air supply at the moment. can anybody tell me if there is an easy way to do this or do i have to create this external air supply?

Thanks in advance :)

It depends on your stove position.

If your stove is placed on an external wall the installer would use a core drill to drill a hole through the external wall behind the stove for the external air supply vent.

If your stove is in a central position/ non external wall a duct should be buried in/under the floor prior to concreting/laying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vfitzpatrick

Thank you for your help Stove Fan :) Unfortunately that is not good news for me!!! It is not at an external wall and we have poured the base already!

Back to the drawing board for me I think :)

DON44 wrote: »
    FLEXIBLE STOVE PIPE?

Hi Stove Fan,

Is there such a thing as a flexible stove pipe (as opposed to the flue liner)?

The reason I ask is that my chimney flue is not centrally located in my fireplace and as a result when I go to fit my new stove on the hearth, it is sitting off-centre. I don't really have enough room to put in enough bends to rectify this. There is only a very short distance (8" or so) to be bridged from the rear stove outlet to the clay pipe adaptor and it would make life very easy is I could bridge this gap with some kind of flexible piping.

Many thanks

DON

Yes, you can buy adjustable elbows like this in various flue sizes.
    http://www.directflues.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1151&category_id=24&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7
    Or a cooker offset.
    http://www.directflues.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=697&category_id=24&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=7
    8 inches above the stove sounds tight. Should ideally for regulations be 12 inches above.

No idea where to buy here though, try your stove shop.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your help Stove Fan :) Unfortunately that is not good news for me!!! It is not at an external wall and we have poured the base already!

Oh bugger:(

jeni wrote: »
    Hiyas, anyone know what we should do?? We installed a stove a few weeks ago, as we had no fire place we built one ourselves using fire proof plaster board, anyway around the stove we tiled with fake sandstone but the heat from the stove is what looks like burning the tile behind it, well its changing the colour anyway, should we re-tile with real stone or should it be ok

Thanks

Any chance of a photo? You need to upload the picture to a photo hosting site like photobucket, picassa etc.
    Copy image code and then paste it into your reply. If it doesnt show resize the image.
    The fireproof plasterboard isnt the right stuff to use as far as I'm aware due to the pink paper stuck to the chalk like substance.
    Inside the fireplace opening should be lined with vermiculite or scamolex board.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Katie OS

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi, yes the 40,000btu boiler should just about run your rads and hot water. It may be advisable while the system is drained to install a few thermostatic rad valves on the radiators in the rooms that can be cooler.
    Yes you do need 1 inch pipes from stove to hotpress and a twin coil hot water cylinder. The stove can sit on the hearth infront providing the hearth it sits on projects 300mm infront and 6 inches either side.
    An insert may be easier and take up less room?
    Make sure the room heat of the oak doesnt produce more than 3-4kw to the room.

One last query stove fan and I promise not to bother you again. He says that he will put in a flexible flue and insulation. Is this a good idea. Why flexible when we have a straight chimney as we live in a bungalow? Is there some reason why flexible is best and how would this work for cleaning the chimney in the future?
    KatieOS:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

Hi StoveFan/All,

Currently building a house close to the passive spec.
    PHPP show it as requiring 19.5kWh/m2/year as opposed to the PH spec of 15kWh/m2/year.
    We've one large open planning kitchen/dining/living area where we're planning on putting a stove. Dimensions are 12m x 5.5m x vaulted ceiling up to 3.9m.
    A heat pump is our main heating supply, but this room has a full length glass wall, so will need extra heat from a stove during the winter.
    What are your thoughts on sizing a stove?
    Do you've any recommendations for a room sealed stove? Using the schiedel flue and chimney system if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Katie OS wrote: »
    One last query stove fan and I promise not to bother you again. He says that he will put in a flexible flue and insulation. Is this a good idea. Why flexible when we have a straight chimney as we live in a bungalow? Is there some reason why flexible is best and how would this work for cleaning the chimney in the future?

Hi, no problem:)

Yes lining the chimney and backfilling with vermiculite insulation is a great job as the existing chimney is generally too big and can suffer condensation and poor draw as the chimney absorbs the heat from the flue gases.

The liner is flexible so as to push it down the chimney with a rope attatched and a helper below pulling while the person above pushes and guides it down. Its flexible as generally there are bends in chimneys due to upstairs fireplace etc, so make it one type to suit all chimneys.

Your installer should install 904 grade stainless steel liner if predominantly using coal rather than just wood.

For sweeping. The chimney may be able to be swept through the stove but I would advice the installer to buy a length of enamel pipe or bend if needed with a soot door for sweeping. If using the top exit on the stove this would be on the straight pipe directly above or at an elbow if needed.
    http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/Stove_Pipe.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 winster

Hi

Does anyone know anything about the invicta range of woodburning stoves. I am looking at getting the invicta modena but can't find any reviews for it. I need a stove with a fairly high output and I really like the look of the modena.

Thanks

winster wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know anything about the invicta range of woodburning stoves. I am looking at getting the invicta modena but can't find any reviews for it. I need a stove with a fairly high output and I really like the look of the modena.

Thanks

Hi, they are a French brand and this model went on the market in 2008. See
    http://www.invicta-sa.com/portail/en/produits/chauffage/207-poele-fonte-modena-emaille.html

I have never owned one, so no review :(.

We had a SUPRA HF3950 stove which was 600euro in the french bricos and 2 years later cost a lot more. It was ok at the first price but not worth the higher cost.
    Better quality bought in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Katie OS

Hi, no problem:)

Yes lining the chimney and backfilling with vermiculite insulation is a great job as the existing chimney is generally too big and can suffer condensation and poor draw as the chimney absorbs the heat from the flue gases.

The liner is flexible so as to push it down the chimney with a rope attatched and a helper below pulling while the person above pushes and guides it down. Its flexible as generally there are bends in chimneys due to upstairs fireplace etc, so make it one type to suit all chimneys.

Your installer should install 904 grade stainless steel liner if predominantly using coal rather than just wood.

For sweeping. The chimney may be able to be swept through the stove but I would advice the installer to buy a length of enamel pipe or bend if needed with a soot door for sweeping. If using the top exit on the stove this would be on the straight pipe directly above or at an elbow if needed.
    http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/Stove_Pipe.html

That great, thanks, though I think it will be the rear exit on the stove if it has to go out on the hearth, will this make sweeping more difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭raglan

45 degrees is the minimum return temperature to prevent condensation forming on the back boiler so setting it between 45-55 degrees is the correct setting.
    At 70 degrees it would get the domestic hot water hotter but take longer to switch the pump on to heat the rads. 50 degrees sounds about right. If your burning turf please bear in mind the heat output is far reduced than coal or wood. You will need a blazing fire going to initially heat the rads. Put the boiler thermostat on max.
    How big is your system, saves me going back to see?

Thanks Stove Fan, does it matter how high boiler thermostat is set too, what would be the ideal temperature? Just finding our feet with it, it was between the EB12 and EB16 stove, and we went with the 16. It's for a 1890 sq ft house I posted asking your advice during the summer. Just finding our feet with it to use it to its optimum. We had a Oisin non boiler before which had great heat to the room, want to use this to its best to get heat to the room while maintaining heat to rads etc....thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Smithers1

HI, I'm new to this forum, so hope I'm allowed just input...
    I've been doing some research and have opted for the Riva 40 (heat only, no back boiler or Rads). Had it priced here but by time they had quoted for installation etc we were almost double at 4k. H'ever, I've located same stove up North for 500 Euro less (delivered) and my plumber says that he can install it - that it's straight forward. Anyone any experience of buyin/installing separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bpm89

Sounds a great idea:)

Stove fan,
    Really interested on what you could add here as i have seen the brilliant advice you are giving on stoves in general and fair play to you. Apologies for just jumping in here but am new to this so please excuse me.

I am looking for some response of anyone who has installed an Oil Fulled back burning stove (i.e fed by kerosene tank, heating water and rads). The house is a 3 bed semi detached built around 1960 with a small extension so poor installation is a given and heat loss etc. Plans to improve insulation however.

The current system is a oil boiler CH system, heating 10 rads at present. The plan is to remove the boiler and have a back burning stove fitted in the kitchen of the house fed directly by the kerosene tank to heat the living area (kitchen) and also the rads and water for the entire house. (2 storey house).

The future plan is to incorporate solar panels to help the system be more efficient but that will be a year or so down the line.

What i am looking for is anyone in the same situation who has retrofitted one to an old house and what kW is required etc (i am assuming an 8kW stove will be sufficient but have been told i will need an 18kW). The saving they have found compared to say a multifuel stove or any informed opinions.

I am an engineer so have little practical experience when it comes to plumbing electrical other than a keen DIYer.
    The work will be carried out by qualified plumbers/builder etc but i'm just doing some research before i commit to my decision.

Thank you in advance.

dos30 wrote: »
    Hi StoveFan/All,

Currently building a house close to the passive spec.
    PHPP show it as requiring 19.5kWh/m2/year as opposed to the PH spec of 15kWh/m2/year.
    We've one large open planning kitchen/dining/living area where we're planning on putting a stove. Dimensions are 12m x 5.5m x vaulted ceiling up to 3.9m.
    A heat pump is our main heating supply, but this room has a full length glass wall, so will need extra heat from a stove during the winter.
    What are your thoughts on sizing a stove?
    Do you've any recommendations for a room sealed stove? Using the schiedel flue and chimney system if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

No idea on passive house stove sizes but generally need very small stove outputs. On the stove output calculators for average insulation they say 16kw.
    Based on the near passive level I would guess 5-6kw max
    I would highly consider the charnwood island 1 This has an external air option.
    http://www.charnwood.com/range/stove/island-i.aspx

There are others.

Katie OS wrote: »
    That great, thanks, though I think it will be the rear exit on the stove if it has to go out on the hearth, will this make sweeping more difficult?

It shouldn't. The installer could either use a T piece if using the rear flue outlet. The T piece has a cap on the bottom which is removable for sweeping.
    Or on the vertical flue pipe have a sweeping hatch. He may install both.

raglan wrote: »
    Thanks Stove Fan, does it matter how high boiler thermostat is set too, what would be the ideal temperature? Just finding our feet with it, it was between the EB12 and EB16 stove, and we went with the 16. It's for a 1890 sq ft house I posted asking your advice during the summer. Just finding our feet with it to use it to its optimum. We had a Oisin non boiler before which had great heat to the room, want to use this to its best to get heat to the room while maintaining heat to rads etc....thanks again.

The actual boiler thermostat on the stove should be set on full to get the full burn/output. Once the house is hot enough turn it down to the level of comfort required.
    This thermostat automatically controls the burn rate/ hence heat output to rads.
    Try experimenting with it but generally the higher the stove thermostat setting the brighter the fire burns the hotter the rads.
    You will then find the ideal boiler setting to give optimal burn/heat and house comfort.

The pipe thermostat should be set at 50.

I see that I recommended this stove. It should heat most of your rads except the open plan rooms as the stoves heat should heat these areas. These rads will need to be turned off. How is the stove performing and on what fuel?
    This is what I wrote here.
    Hi Your stove should heat most of the Kitchen/living room/conservatory on it's own so have only based the figure on the remaining rads.

Your new stove will/should be plumbed to heat upstairs and downstairs rads if thats what you want

Your looking for a stove with a 15kw-18kw back boiler and around 7kw to the room. with having no double doors to the kitchen the heat should circulate to the other rooms.

Your actual rads equate to around 12kw but you need to allow 2-3kw for domestic hot water. Plus I have allowed a bit extra output incase you need some rads on in conservatory.

I personally would consider the arrow EB16.
    http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co....s/eb16-he.html

If your system is zoned and you didnt heat both zones at once you could install a smaller output boiler stove, but myself I would go and heat all the rads I mentioned.

The stanley erin and EB12 boiler output would be too small a boiler output to heat all the rads I mentioned.

bpm89 wrote: »
    Stove fan,
    Really interested on what you could add here as i have seen the brilliant advice you are giving on stoves in general and fair play to you. Apologies for just jumping in here but am new to this so please excuse me.

I am looking for some response of anyone who has installed an Oil Fulled back burning stove (i.e fed by kerosene tank, heating water and rads). The house is a 3 bed semi detached built around 1960 with a small extension so poor installation is a given and heat loss etc. Plans to improve insulation however.

The current system is a oil boiler CH system, heating 10 rads at present. The plan is to remove the boiler and have a back burning stove fitted in the kitchen of the house fed directly by the kerosene tank to heat the living area (kitchen) and also the rads and water for the entire house. (2 storey house).

The future plan is to incorporate solar panels to help the system be more efficient but that will be a year or so down the line.

What i am looking for is anyone in the same situation who has retrofitted one to an old house and what kW is required etc (i am assuming an 8kW stove will be sufficient but have been told i will need an 18kW). The saving they have found compared to say a multifuel stove or any informed opinions.

I am an engineer so have little practical experience when it comes to plumbing electrical other than a keen DIYer.
    The work will be carried out by qualified plumbers/builder etc but i'm just doing some research before i commit to my decision.

Thank you in advance.

Hi:) If I have this right you want to remove your current oil boiler and install a stove fired by oil with a backboiler? My first question is why, as the oil boiler especially a condensor oil boiler would be more efficient.
    Why not a solid fuel boiler stove as well? Conveniance of oil and cheaper running costs of the solid fuel boiler stove.

A plumber would need to visit and size the boiler stove.

More insulating is definately a good investment:D.

If you want the fire effect in the kitchen and don't want solid fuel consider keeping your oil boiler but just install a non boilered oil stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bpm89

Hey thanks for your reply.
    The old boiler is not running for a while now and is very old hence the reason to install a oil fired back burner in the kitchen. The old range is still in the kitchen and on the opposite side of this in the living room is the open fire. My mother(whos house it is) proposed to install a multifuel one however for convenience and less day to day maintenance(lighting every day, cleaning out ashes) i think the oil fired would work better, no? The overall cost of a new boiler versus a oil fired stove i would imagine is costly.

However having researched further there seems to be currently very few oil fired back burners that would give the output required (i reckon about 18kW, for 9 rads and DHW) on the other hand multifuels are well able to give the required output.

The fire affect is not really essential as if so can just light the open fire in the sitting room for that.

Thanks again for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Hi stovefan a friend is looking for a boiler stove in his 2 bed bungalow his sitting room is 16'x12'5 it has two single doors on it one leading to the hallway and one going into the conservatory it has insulation there are 8 rads
    2x 104 x 30 double
    2x 54x54 double
    1x 91x55 single
    2x 121x55 double
    1x 91x55 double

Could you calculate the kw output he would need and maybe recommend a few stoves that might suit his needs!
    Thanks mk2!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RoscommoLad

Hi,

As you cannot run the pipe in the floor and T off to come up for the stove maybe you could run the pipe in the ceiling parallel with the floor joist and T off to come down to the stove - the T could be chased into the chimney breast to bring the pipe down.

RoscommonLad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I am looking at the option of a stove with a boiler to heat the house and a couple of people have told me to stay well clear, mostly for two reasons. First is that I will have to feed it with fuel every 30 minutes in order to keep it hot enough to heat the rads and by doing this the room the stove is in will be unbearably hot. (irrespective of the advertised output for the room) Secondly is the dirt, both the storage of fuel and the waste ash.

Does anybody agree with these sentiments ?

Thanks

mk2 wrote: »
    Hi stovefan a friend is looking for a boiler stove in his 2 bed bungalow his sitting room is 16'x12'5 it has two single doors on it one leading to the hallway and one going into the conservatory it has insulation there are 8 rads
    2x 104 x 30 double
    2x 54x54 double
    1x 91x55 single
    2x 121x55 double
    1x 91x55 double

Could you calculate the kw output he would need and maybe recommend a few stoves that might suit his needs!
    Thanks mk2!

Your friend is looking for a stove with a 12kw backboiler.

The room size requires 3.5kw to heat the room only, so with the doors open could go for a higher room heat output.
    I think an inset stove would be best as they have a lower room heat output.

The arrow insert stove EB12 Inset would be ideal. 12kw to water 5kw to room which should be fine with the doors open.
    http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/Aarrow-Stratford-Ecoboiler-12i-HE-Stove.html
    Your friend may prefer the more modern looking ESSE 350 greenswith 11.1kw to water burning wood, more on solid fuel and 3.6kw to room.
    http://www.esse.com/multifuel-stoves/350gs/

Stove Fan.

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I am looking at the option of a stove with a boiler to heat the house and a couple of people have told me to stay well clear, mostly for two reasons. First is that I will have to feed it with fuel every 30 minutes in order to keep it hot enough to heat the rads and by doing this the room the stove is in will be unbearably hot. (irrespective of the advertised output for the room) Secondly is the dirt, both the storage of fuel and the waste ash.

Does anybody agree with these sentiments ?

Thanks

I don't, but the stove has to be sized to suit the heating load and also the stoves room output isn't too high for the room size it's going into.
    If the room requires more heat than what the stove produces then a radiator would need to be installed.
    It depends on the stove as to how often it would need refuelling. Ours needs refuelling every hour but some better makes are less and the worst makes every 30 minutes.
    Quality stove= less attention needed and longer burn time.
    With a boiler stove a lot of the heat is absorbed by the water in the boiler.
    With our Ash I chuck it on the garden bank.
    For fuel we used to stack the firewood in the garage and coal in a coal bunker.
    When burning coal you need to empty the ashpan everyday, and the coal dust can cover the mantlepiece in a film of dust. Sprinkling the coal with the watering can helps greatly.
    With burning wood only we empty the ashes once a week in the depth of winter. Wood is very clean but quite dear to buy.

I have heated 2 properties for the last 7 years with a boiler stove only and find it straightforward if you have the time to tend the fire. I find it cheaper than oil and love the focal point in the room.

Where we live there is no mains gas.
    Here is ours lit:D
    Untitled.jpg
    Ps I don't sell or install stoves either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 famlitsku

Hi, we've just had a quote to put 2 stoves in and we think the installation costs are v. high. 2 5kw free-standing stoves as space heaters. I is to replace an existing stove; slate slab and flue in place, just needs max 2m of flue to connect it - installation cost 650 euro. The other is going in a fireplace; old 2 storey red brick house, chimney needs to be lined - quote of 1200 euro to install. What do you think?
    Thanks!!

famlitsku wrote: »
    Hi, we've just had a quote to put 2 stoves in and we think the installation costs are v. high. 2 5kw free-standing stoves as space heaters. I is to replace an existing stove; slate slab and flue in place, just needs max 2m of flue to connect it - installation cost 650 euro. The other is going in a fireplace; old 2 storey red brick house, chimney needs to be lined - quote of 1200 euro to install. What do you think?
    Thanks!!

It's very hard to say if the price is high or not as every job is different and I don't know the complexity of the job and access for lowering liner from roof.

All I can say is try to get some more quotes based on like for like.

See if they will quote materials and labour seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ganger

I am looking at non boiler stoves for an average size sitting room/kitchen .I see stanley have firebricks but a lot of other brands dont.The stanley we were looking at was the OSCAR also the CARA insert caught our eye.Any advice on other type of brands ,which all seem to be cheaper for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

She, who must (sometimes) be obeyed, likes the look of the Wander Marvic insert to replace an open fire in the sitting room. Anybody have one of these?

Second question regarding the installation of an insert. If we were to change the fireplace as well - what happens first - the stove insert or the new fireplace. I ask because we may source the insert from one retailer and the fireplace from another.

Third question regarding a stainless steel flue. This is to interpret "sales-talk". The fireplace is twenty years old - seldom used in the past. A retailer said that the Marvic insert does not need a full flue if the chimney is in good condition. (Reading threads here supports this view). He said that insulating the flue with a 45 degree turn is sometimes unsuccessful as the insulation often is hit-and-miss at the turn which can lead to corrosion of the flue. I would like to get everything done at the same time but would be worried about spending on money on a flue that is 1)not necessary and 2) potentially liable to corrode. I have better ways of corroding my money :eek: Views? Thanks

Advertisement