Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Squatman

Are fire doors in any ways worth while? I know that they will keep the draft out, but will it do anything to retain the heat, or make lighting the fire easier. Something like this de vielle door

http://www.frcathcartltd.com/home-essentials-c4/fireside-accessories-c68/de-vielle-eco-firefront-door-p2910

• Registered Users Posts: 7 guest2018

Hi,
    What is the best/preferred method for installing multi-fuel 10 kW stove:
    Lay the laminate floor then place Hearth on top?
    or put Hearth down and floor round it?

Laminate is going on top of 3mm underlay on top of concrete floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I put the hearth on top of the laminate, much better finish. Only needs a small bit of construction adhesive to secure it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭blackbox

Squatman wrote: »
    Are fire doors in any ways worth while? I know that they will keep the draft out, but will it do anything to retain the heat, or make lighting the fire easier. Something like this de vielle door

http://www.frcathcartltd.com/home-essentials-c4/fireside-accessories-c68/de-vielle-eco-firefront-door-p2910

It won't make the fire easier to light, but it will reduce fuel consumption and draughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 guest2018

OwenM wrote: »
    I put the hearth on top of the laminate, much better finish. Only needs a small bit of construction adhesive to secure it

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The latch that closes the main door of our stove has, over years of use, worn away the front of the stove. That being, the door doesn't close as tight anymore meaning a constant draft on the fuel. It's eating fuel as a result.

Anyone experienced this and have a solution? It's a Stanley boiler stove but cannot remember the model for the life of me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I was looking at purchasing a stove. I've been advised to get a Henley, so priced up the Thames 8kw model.

Is this the best option? I'm not looking for anything fancy, I liked the cleaner lines of the Thames, but if there is a cheaper option I'd be interested. It needs to be a freestanding multifuel stove.
    I would prefer to buy quality, but not pay extra for the name if that makes sense.

Thanks

What would you save with a cheaper brand, €100 - 150? Is this worth the hassle if something is wrong, of getting tradesmen out, the mess it creates, taking time off work to let them in. Not advocating Henley per se (even though I do have one) but remember 'buy cheap, buy twice'

Also, for a dry stove a wood burner should be fine, no need for multifuel. I only burn coal (sometimes) because it's a big boiler stove and a lot of heat is required. If you fill a dry stove with coal your going to melt

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I was looking at purchasing a stove. I've been advised to get a Henley, so priced up the Thames 8kw model.

Is this the best option? I'm not looking for anything fancy, I liked the cleaner lines of the Thames, but if there is a cheaper option I'd be interested. It needs to be a freestanding multifuel stove.
    I would prefer to buy quality, but not pay extra for the name if that makes sense.

Thanks

If it's a non boiler version it doesn't really matter what you buy as long as it's not a €400 lump with a door. It does however make a difference for boiler versions because of the internal baffles for heat capture and water flow/return mixing. I know it's a bit of work but if you are getting a boiler version it's worth asking the sales guy or installer about the internal workings because cosmetics mean very little when the stove doesn't perform

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Insert stove multi fuel non boiler, 2 storey house, does this have to have a flexi flue inserted on installation or can it be fitted directly into the chimney pipe itself? TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Hi all,badly need some advice
    Just got my stove fitted last week, and while we initially where going to clad the chimney breast in natural stone, we decided to have the stove fitted flush to chimney breast for a more "sleek" look.(like a flat screen tv on a wall)

We go the chimney breast skimmed to cover any holes or crevices from the fire surround but the problem is that the chimney breast over the stove gets quite hot and is causing the skim coat to crack. The plasterer has said that he will have to go back to the block work about 6-8 inches above the stove and build it back out again but im convinced that it will keep cracking although he is confident it wont .

Anyone got any experience or faced a similar issue?
    How did ye resolve it?

TIA

There is a 'gypsum free' plaster designed for just this, haven't used it myself but intend trying it when I install a new boiler stove, am moving house soon. Two builders I spoke to said it will still crack....

If you do try it then please please let it dry fully before lighting the stove again - I'm talking about 8-10 days drying time, then light a small fire, wood only, the moisture will cause most of the expansion and hence cracking.

If you have a dry stove, forget it - I really don't think any plaster work is going to stand up to those temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

sorry, just jumping in here, what's a dry stove?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A non-boiler stove I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

camp-gas-stove-with-kettle-on-desert-ground-picture-id536657434

vicwatson wrote: »
    Insert stove multi fuel non boiler, 2 storey house, does this have to have a flexi flue inserted on installation or can it be fitted directly into the chimney pipe itself? TIA

Bump, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Bump, anyone?

A flexi flue will stop the buildup of creosote in your flue.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Q6Mu8KeMg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

angeldaisy wrote: »

Thanks

Henley are standard Chinese stoves, dressed up with nice branding and brochures, and a shop taking a nice cut.

You are paying for all the branding, the salesmans cut, the shops overheads and the VAT, so if you take say €300 - €400 off the price you will get much the same Chinese product for a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

easypazz wrote: »
    Henley are standard Chinese stoves, dressed up with nice branding and brochures, and a shop taking a nice cut.

You are paying for all the branding, the salesmans cut, the shops overheads and the VAT, so if you take say €300 - €400 off the price you will get much the same Chinese product for a lot less.

You are talking out your arse.
    A standard Chinese stove and product has limited quality control.
    Brands with stoves made in China like Henley, Heat Design and now Stanley put huge work into ensuring the quality of the product is of a very high standard.
    Also, a large part of these brands range are now manufactured in Europe,not China.
    You also get extended warranty’s of up to 5 years.
    By the way, Vat is payable regardless so not a saving.

Bump, anyone?

If the condition of your chimney isn’t good, a Flexi flue is advisable.
    I would 100% recommend if the chimney has been in use for over 10 years already.
    If not, a clay pot adapter should be fine.

• Advertisement

Forge83 wrote: »
    You are talking out your arse.
    A standard Chinese stove and product has limited quality control.
    Brands with stoves made in China like Henley, Heat Design and now Stanley put huge work into ensuring the quality of the product is of a very high standard.
    Also, a large part of these brands range are now manufactured in Europe,not China.
    You also get extended warranty’s of up to 5 years.
    By the way, Vat is payable regardless so not a saving.

Vat on a 600€ stove 112€, vat on a €300 stove €56.

Shops markup say €200, so of the extra €300 thats €256 straight away.

Henley only give a 3 year warranty on boilers and 1 year on the internal parts, these being the only things that need replacing anyway.

A pub near me has 2 unbranded stoves the last 10 years and they are still perfect, just replace a few parts now and again.

How do you know a Henley stove from China has better quality control than a similar stove with no badge? You dont.

Any what difference does it make where a stove is made? What does a european foundry do that a chinese foundry cant do?

easypazz wrote: »
    Vat on a 600€ stove 112€, vat on a €300 stove €56.

Shops markup say €200, so of the extra €300 thats €256 straight away.

Henley only give a 3 year warranty on boilers and 1 year on the internal parts, these being the only things that need replacing anyway.

A pub near me has 2 unbranded stoves the last 10 years and they are still perfect, just replace a few parts now and again.

How do you know a Henley stove from China has better quality control than a similar stove with no badge? You dont.

Any what difference does it make where a stove is made? What does a european foundry do that a chinese foundry cant do?

If you want to save €300 on a device that could kill you or destroy your house if it's faulty go ahead. Have a look on youtube for footage of exploding boilers. I think we're all aware of carbon monoxide.

The foundry may or may not use the correct or faulty materials in the EU or China but an indigenous company that invests in a brand will have some oversight on the quality of the goods they sell, that's what you are paying for.

If we were talking about €300 per month I'd be on your side - this is a one off purchase that should last twenty years.

If you want to save €300 on a device that could kill you or destroy your house if it's faulty go ahead. Have a look on youtube for footage of exploding boilers. I think we're all aware of carbon monoxide.

The foundry may or may not use the correct or faulty materials in the EU or China but an indigenous company that invests in a brand will have some oversight on the quality of the goods they sell, that's what you are paying for.

If we were talking about €300 per month I'd be on your side - this is a one off purchase that should last twenty years.

Why are you going on about exploding boilers, a boiler was never mentioned in the query I was responding to.

Why are you saying a stove without a badge could kill you or destroy your house.

There is a plane with a boeing badge on it, the plane keeps crashing.

Stoves are low tech, they all do much the same thing and mainly come from China. They can be bought direct or can be bought via middlemen in shops with various jargon to make them sound better.

In my experience I've seen plenty of unbranded stoves working just fine.

If the condition of your chimney isn’t good, a Flexi flue is advisable.
    I would 100% recommend if the chimney has been in use for over 10 years already.
    If not, a clay pot adapter should be fine.

Anyone got a ballpark figure to have insert stove fitted with flexi liner, two storey house with cowling, etc etc?

Anyone got a ballpark figure to have insert stove fitted with flexi liner, two storey house with cowling, etc etc?

I was quoted €800 last week, supply and fit flexi liner and install stove, two story house, Limerick area.

I was quoted €800 last week, supply and fit flexi liner and install stove, two story house, Limerick area.

Not including the stove I assume?

Not including the stove I assume?

That would be fitting only

That would be fitting only

Well they say supply and fit of liner....

Well they say supply and fit of liner....

Exactly, supply of the liner, fit of the liner and fit of the stove, not supply the stove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

You buy the stove €
    Flexi flue and fittings €350
    A half day - full day work for an installer
    Max = €300
    That’s provided fits in existing fireplace and no major alterations required.

I put boiler stove in recently
    Insert boiler stove €850
    Flexi flue kit € fittings €350
    New dual cylinder €250
    Plumbing parts & pipe €400
    Plumber 3 days € tbc
    But prob 450
    Also required some tidy up and plasterboard
    And plasterer also €200

Advertisement