Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanmh

I'm looking to install a wood burning stove into a new build which is airtight. The flue will come out vertically above the stove, through the plasterboard ceiling, through the attic space and out through the roof.

I've been told I need a ventilated fire stop place in the ceiling which will damage my air tightness obviously.

Are there any solutions which could maintain the airtightness?

House has mechanical ventilation and stove takes air from outside for the burning.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

TRying to get a few parts for a Henley Apollo , the spare parts shop never seem to have what I need .Anyone know if spares are available elsewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

rebeve wrote: »
    TRying to get a few parts for a Henley Apollo , the spare parts shop never seem to have what I need .Anyone know if spares are available elsewhere .

Your local retailer can order them directly into the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Hi all, wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to widen the opening by about 200mm to accommodate a free standing stove.

The remaining blocks look structural to me?

Hi all, wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to widen the opening by about 200mm to accommodate a free standing stove.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

The blocks are holding up your entire chimney stack and the lintel is already cracked.It is safe as it is.If you want to widen the ope then another longer lintel needs to be inserted above the existing one which is a complicated job that needs an expert in construction.
    Get this post moved to the construction forum

upupup wrote: »
    The blocks are holding up your entire chimney stack and the lintel is already cracked.It is safe as it is.If you want to widen the ope then another longer lintel needs to be inserted above the existing one which is a complicated job that needs an expert in construction.
    Get this post moved to the construction forum

Yea that's what I was thinking, it's not as straightforward as I'd hoped before I pulled the fireplace off. Waiting on 2 quotes at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Yea that's what I was thinking, it's not as straightforward as I'd hoped before I pulled the fireplace off. Waiting on 2 quotes at the minute

Why not put the stove in front of the fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

We got this done a few years ago...I got someone to do it its much better job than sticking the stove in front of it...Messy work but worth it

Some photos if your interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Does the f&e tank for a multi-fuel boiler stove loop need to be copper or stainless as opposed to plastic?

ike wrote: »
    We got this done a few years ago...I got someone to do it its much better job than sticking the stove in front of it...Messy work but worth it

Some photos if your interested

Tasty job.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

steamsey wrote: »
    Hi - just checking if anyone has experience with a Heat Design Vitae 6kw? Hadn't heard of the brand before.

Also in terms of fitting costs - I'm being quoted (ex VAT) - 530 liner (2 storey house), 170 building materials and parts, 600 labour. In greater Dublin area. Sound OK? Standard fireplace opening.

Just a follow up on this. Went with the Heat Design Vitae 6kw (with the 904 grade liner). Very happy with it having had it for about 6 weeks or so. Gives off great heat, especially with stove coal. Beds down well for the night and still warm the next morning. Easy to clean & operate. Installer did a great job, if anyone wants a recommendation, PM me. Dublin / Wicklow area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Hi, I'm planning on installing a freestanding Stovax Vogue Midi T in my house with no chimney so flue straight up through the roof. Flue will need to extend anywhere between 1 and 2 metres above the line of the roof.

Has anyone who has done similar had any issues with a flue in the wind when it's at this height or had any leaks around the flue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Miss Gunner wants stove installed in our house. Wants a wood burner

Shopping around and only visited mcd home and garden and waiting for quote.

I'm just wondering with all the eco stuff will burning of anything be banned in years to come and better getting gas stove.

I'm just wondering with all the eco stuff will burning of anything be banned in years to come and better getting gas stove.

Quality dried timber is the only fuel that will be advisable to burn in the future. In Dublin there are plenty of suppliers so you should be safe enough.

Gas is now being spoken of as a medium term transition fuel, so in theory that will be banned eventually.

Timber will still be allowed after gas.

In any case there will be a slow transition over the next 10 years or so, and your stove will be fully depreciated by then.

And according to Greta we will all die in 10 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hey guys looking for advice on a back boiler stove installation. Ive been told that a system link heat genie needs to be installed with it. Ive contacted a few plumbers and none of them seemed confident about installing it. Or are there other options apart from the system link? Any reccomendations on companies or plumbers that a experienced in installing stoves with back boiler via system link? Thanks and PM me of course as per the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Squatman

hi guys, looking for advice on a stove install. Ive used fire cement to seal the back of the stove to the Stainless steel flue liner, and also, the stainless steel connection pipe to the flexi section. the cement on the pipe to flexi section has now cracked after 2 fires, and fallen off. , and secondly the is a smell of soot in the room (i have carbon monoxide alarm in the room near stove, but the stove isnt fully plastered into place (its bolted to the ground, but i wanted to be sure of the fire before i built up around the stove) will the smell of soot go away when its fully installed? and what sealer should i have used around the stainless steel pipe.? ( the flue liner is in place, with vermiculite around the liner)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭iphone6

Hi I'm thinking of getting an arada I500 stove to heat the sitting room, I'd be hoping I get get it 16inchs off the ground and sit in where the older fire was. It's all to do with accommodating a tv over the fire place. And currently not able to do this.

Has anyone any pros or cons on what I'm doing or the stove I'm looking at arada or best place to buy. Thanks

The picture below gives an idea what I'm trying to achieve

• Advertisement

iphone6 wrote: »
    Hi I'm thinking of getting an arada I500 stove to heat the sitting room, I'd be hoping I get get it 16inchs off the ground and sit in where the older fire was. It's all to do with accommodating a tv over the fire place. And currently not able to do this.

Has anyone any pros or cons on what I'm doing or the stove I'm looking at arada or best place to buy. Thanks

The picture below gives an idea what I'm trying to achieve

How high you can raise the stove will all depend on the position of the chimney lentil and flue gatherer. If these need to be raised it’s a very big job.

As for the stove, Arada in general is a strong brand but their cassette stoves have never taken off here in Ireland. Would suggest looking at a Heat Design Vitae or a Hota Ares as very popular, good quality and good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

looking at https://www.heatdesign.ie/product/heat-design-insert-boiler-stove/ to replace our fire with back boiler that has called it quits. we have 13 rads with 3 of them permanently off, are we better to go with the 18 or the 25kw? also aprox cost am i looking at for the stove in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Squatman

Hi guys, would any of you have an idea of how much this range is worth. Oil burner 10kwh. Or what model no. It is

Squatman wrote: »
    Hi guys, would any of you have an idea of how much this range is worth. Oil burner 10kwh. Or what model no. It is

Stanley Errigal.
    There isn’t a massive market for oil ranges so what it’s worth won’t match what you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 failover

Hi All,

I'd really appreciate some advice on these two stove setup scenarios. I have read through this thread as much as possible but it's huge!

Scenario 1
    I want to put a stove with back boiler into my house. My house is a 3-storey townhouse style. The stove will be on the ground floor but the hot water cylinder is on the top (second floor). I currently have gas central heating which heats water and rads. I'd like the stove to do the same (heat water and rads) but to work in conjunction with the gas central heating system (e.g. gas to heat water only in warm weather). A plumber told me it's not possible to fit a boiler stove in this situation as the pipes will be banging like crazy, a huge pump would be required and the water would also lose its heat by the time it got to the cylinder. I want to use a boiler stove because I have access to turf.

Scenario 2 (more of a question really)
    Can I put a boiler stove on a ground floor with a water cylinder, and then run underfloor heating off it, along with hot water? I'm wondering because there is no gravity fall to circulate the water. Its quite a large area to heat so I'd love to be able to plumb it into the existing underfloor heating (runs on an oil burner and so far seems to be HUGELY inefficient and expensive), and maybe add some rads to facilitate quick warming up of the space.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭corks finest

easypazz wrote: »
    Why not put the stove in front of the fireplace.

Or get a smaller one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    looking at https://www.heatdesign.ie/product/heat-design-insert-boiler-stove/ to replace our fire with back boiler that has called it quits. we have 13 rads with 3 of them permanently off, are we better to go with the 18 or the 25kw? also aprox cost am i looking at for the stove in question.
    anyone?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    anyone?

You can find out how many kw you need herehttps://www.heatdesign.ie/calculator/

failover wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'd really appreciate some advice on these two stove setup scenarios. I have read through this thread as much as possible but it's huge!

Scenario 1
    I want to put a stove with back boiler into my house. My house is a 3-storey townhouse style. The stove will be on the ground floor but the hot water cylinder is on the top (second floor). I currently have gas central heating which heats water and rads. I'd like the stove to do the same (heat water and rads) but to work in conjunction with the gas central heating system (e.g. gas to heat water only in warm weather). A plumber told me it's not possible to fit a boiler stove in this situation as the pipes will be banging like crazy, a huge pump would be required and the water would also lose its heat by the time it got to the cylinder. I want to use a boiler stove because I have access to turf.

Scenario 2 (more of a question really)
    Can I put a boiler stove on a ground floor with a water cylinder, and then run underfloor heating off it, along with hot water? I'm wondering because there is no gravity fall to circulate the water. Its quite a large area to heat so I'd love to be able to plumb it into the existing underfloor heating (runs on an oil burner and so far seems to be HUGELY inefficient and expensive), and maybe add some rads to facilitate quick warming up of the space.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Scenario 2 will work fine.A pump will circulate the water under the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

We are getting a stove in place of our current fireplace. We are looking at a bog standard stove that has an output of around 6kw to heat the room. One place we went to has given a quote of €1,200 + VAT for a Wanders Marvic and around €2,800 + VAT for installation (with geo cast beam). Does this seem about right?

We want a pretty basic stove but there seems to be so much choice on the market. I was also looking at the Henley Achill 6.6kw which seems to retail at around €900 including VAT. Any recommendations here?

Advertisement