Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think there is for the UK Vic as it is a British qualification but Ive never seen a list of Irish HETAS qualified installers. Stone and Stoves does have a limited list of installers here, some who are HETAS qualified
    https://stoneandstoves.ie/recommended-fitters/

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is there a list of HETAS(?) “approved” stove installers online anywhere, tia

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=53.551580261006414%2C-7.8500818773920855&z=8&mid=1jWMD7b-F13UVpZy8IxmgKYsma1ANJhJy

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Hetas do run courses here, and after you can register, but they charge more again to, nearly as much as the course to get registered.
    It's a money racket., I have been on the course and if seen some of the guys who came of the course with certificates to say they had completed course, and then they want you pay hundreds again to put your name on a list of certified installers.
    I am all for training and knowledge but I really found this a joke.
    But that's just my thoughts .

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

rpmcs wrote: »
    Hetas do run courses here, and after you can register, but they charge more again to, nearly as much as the course to get registered.
    It's a money racket., I have been on the course and if seen some of the guys who came of the course with certificates to say they had completed course, and then they want you pay hundreds again to put your name on a list of certified installers.
    I am all for training and knowledge but I really found this a joke.
    But that's just my thoughts .

You are 100% correct. Use contractors here on occasion who are Hetas trained. My installer who is not Hetas trained would leave them for dead as regards the quality of finish and attention to detail.
    Absolute and utter money racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I have an old house (110 years old). I was looking to get a stove put into an existing fire place. Outside of the cost of the stove itself, I have been quoted nearly 5k for a gas stove and about 6.5k for a wood burner on various installation costs:

New inset and hearth required
    Access to roof by cherrypicker (house is tall)
    Flexible liner
    Probably rebuild of fireplace in workshop
    If solid fuel need solid fuel liner and back fill with vermiculite
    Also if solid fuel needs raising of opening.

Does this sound reasonable? It seems a lot more than I had been expecting. The total is coming in around 10-12k incl VAT. I am based in Dublin as is the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

dubstepper wrote: »
    I have an old house (110 years old). I was looking to get a stove put into an existing fire place. Outside of the cost of the stove itself, I have been quoted nearly 5k for a gas stove and about 6.5k for a wood burner on various installation costs:

Flexible liner

Does this sound reasonable? It seems a lot more than I had been expecting. The total is coming in around 10-12k incl VAT. I am based in Dublin as is the company.

4 years ago fitted a wood burning stove with back boiler. The plumber whom I knew and agreed to Let me give him a hand saving about €100 a day in labour costs and some plumbing ( I'm a fitter by trade)

* ripped out old fire place and back boiler. Widened opening to manufacturers specs and set in a reinforced head.

* re lined the with flex and filled with vermiculite.

*reset cowl and repaired around the top with cement.

*Set stove in place, on top of new granite heart. Pipe work to tank and system link (half a dayswork)

*plasterer in to finish off the chimney rebuild

The entire job took two of us 4 days with a fare amount of arsing around. I paid for the stove €1600 and he got all the materials, fittings flex, new circulating pump etc.

He charged me €1500 + €500 for matetials but said it would have been another €400 for someone he didn't know. So all in it cost me around €4250 including fittings including my own labour costs and two slabs of 50mm blank polished granite.

In a nutshell without mates rates including your cherry picker hire it would cost them no more than 5k.

So with inflation maybe 7k but 10k plus.... rip off but many will look at you in the current climate with a straight face and charge you that

So with inflation maybe 7k but 10k plus.... rip off but many will look at you in the current climate with a straight face and charge you that
    Thanks for the advice. It does feel over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Ask for a breakdown of the cost. If any tradesman won't give you that ( most get terribly offended for just asking, trust me I'm a tradesman) then go elsewhere. Don't drop an extra 5k on a job just for the sake of it. It's the same as external insulation I am getting quotes for right now. The quotes including vat are insane when materials and labour are counted. Even worse when most companies just contract out the work.

Good luck and always shop about

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Dont be afraid to price outside The Pale. You could find a big differnce on the labour rate.
    Saying that a house that is 110 years old can be notoriously difficult to reline. Also if its a big open flue system there could be a substantial quantity of vermiculite needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Flexible liner

A wood burning inset stove is not going to give out huge heat.The insets look great and modern but a free standing stove will outperform any inset,and a coal burning stove is better still for heat.
    It depends on what is more important to you,heat or looks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Flexible liner

Got a the following materials & install over about 2 days 2015. Fireplace was gutted so clean starting point. Finish was to make good plastering around stove & add border & base.

1 no 9kw vitae multi fuel insert stove
    1 no 4 sided frame
    1 no granite border
    1 no granite Base
    1 no flexi flue kit + vermiculite
    ( ie material to line+ insulate chimney)

Going very well with lots of use since. House is modest Dublin semi-d so output is plenty for us.

Cost about 2.5k back then labour & parts

Flexible liner

Absolutely bonkers quote. I could probably give a guess at where you got this quote. As another poster said, shop outside Dublin in Westmeath/Meath/Laois/Kildare etc. Most will be happy to travel to Dublin to do the job.
    Smyths Hardware Mullingar and Fordes Kilcock would be two good starting points who I just couldn’t envisage being over 7/8k for a similar quotation.

Forge83 wrote: »
    Smyths Hardware Mullingar and Fordes Kilcock would be two good starting points who I just couldn’t envisage being over 7/8k for a similar quotation.

Thanks for the information. Certainly seems like they are taking p*ss. Will look into those.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caher123

Hi,

I want to install a marble fireplace and cassette stove in a small sitting room. Room is 20sqm with ceiling height of 2.6m, 2 external walls and 2 medium windows. Quite good insulation but its of a cold hallway (single door).

I was thinking the Stovax Riva 50 or the Vitae 6kw? Hoping they wont be too hot.

Any idea of installation prices in a two storey house (to include flexi flue lining etc and fitting the fireplace). Materials seperate.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Apologies if this question is stickied elsewhere but it's very hard to search from Android, I find.

PS as per post #1, is parts pricing banned also?? If so, apologies but it would seem common sense that if there's a good value option out there, that people aren't paying double prices as is the Irish way. A PM would be appreciated if I am in breach. Though I read that as stove sales and installation?

I need stove glass. Arched, for a Heat Design 04D, similar to a Forewarn 4kw.

Getting quotes of xx, but surely there must be somewhere far more reasonable than that? Maybe thinner thickness options?
    Stoveglass.ie, is Bantryglass, was xx delivered. A number of Midlands places quoting mid-xxs for me to bring it to them and then collect....

These prices are double what I imagine to be viable, based on online research.

Any tips appreciated.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Apologies if this question is stickied elsewhere but it's very hard to search from Android, I find.

PS as per post #1, is parts pricing banned also?? If so, apologies but it would seem common sense that if there's a good value option out there, that people aren't paying double prices as is the Irish way. A PM would be appreciated if I am in breach. Though I read that as stove sales and installation?

Getting quotes of xx, but surely there must be somewhere far more reasonable than that? Maybe thinner thickness options?
    Stoveglass.ie, is Bantryglass, was xx delivered. A number of Midlands places quoting mid-xxs for me to bring it to them and then collect....

Any tips appreciated.

Bantry glass are the cheapest in the country for stove glass. You won’t find cheaper for a curved glass. A square glass would be cheap enough but they are decent prices for curved glass,

Any tips appreciated.

Bantry glass are the cheapest in the country for stove glass. You won’t find cheaper for a curved glass. A square glass would be cheap enough but they are decent prices for curved glass,

Thanks for that. Appreciated.
    Arched, not curved though.

Can anyone advise if they know of anyone removing the flue collar from an insert stove in order to get it to sit back flush against a Milner (arched) fireback?
    I don't plan on using a clue, perhaps an adaptor.
    But then I probably need the flue collar for the adaptor?
    I'd just shinny out the stove twice a year and clean any debris on top. Though I burn very clean wood fuel.

Anyone have any solutions for ainsert that won't fit due to a fireback? Is there perhaps a surround insert that could be placed between the insert and the fire surround to achieve a seal? Like a giant washer!!

Can anyone advise if they know of anyone removing the flue collar from an insert stove in order to get it to sit back flush against a Milner (arched) fireback?
    I'd just shinny out the stove twice a year and clean any debris on top. Though I burn very clean wood fuel.

Anyone have any solutions for ainsert that won't fit due to a fireback? Is there perhaps a surround insert that could be placed between the insert and the fire surround to achieve a seal? Like a giant washer!!

Just take out the fireback, it’s not needed. Stove will fit fine then and connect safely.

Just take out the fireback, it’s not needed. Stove will fit fine then and connect safely.
    What about other options if leaving the fireback in, thanks.

Apologies for typos. Bloody phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Why do you not want to take fireback out?
    Leaving it in leaves you very restricted in my opinion.

rpmcs wrote: »

Why do you not want to take fireback out?
    Leaving it in leaves you very restricted in my opinion.

Just want to see the options. It's an almost new fireback

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

is there any such thing as a stove fan for an inset stove?

Uriel. wrote: »

Most inset stoves should be convection based so should not require a fan.
    Some very large insets above 10/12kw May have a fan to remove the heat quicker from the stove to prevent damage to stove.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There is: http://stovefanreviews.com/product/sirocco-plus-stove-fan/

No idea how effective they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The lips

Mickeroo wrote: »

There is: http://stovefanreviews.com/product/sirocco-plus-stove-fan/

No idea how effective they are.

Only one review on Amazon and it is a negative one but I am curious.

Surprised another manufacturer didn't fabricate brackets to hold there own fan on an inset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Thanks folks.
    Was mainly curious. Have a stovax Riva inset and with a narrowish long sitting room so was just thinking of warm air distribution

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Caher123

Just wondering if you can tell me if a granite insert is fitted between a fireplace surround and an inset stove is it likely to crack? I realise it has to be jointed for expansion, which I'm fine with. Supplier is recommending a black matt plate but I'm not fond of the look. They say the granite can still crack.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

I'm sure it's been asked but on a thread this long I can't tell.

What have been the experiences with double sided, multi-fuel, insert/tunnel style stoves? Like http://www.thestovedepot.ie/index.php?id_product=121&controller=product&id_lang=1

I'm looking for a stove but am worried that the heating a large space on one side and a smaller space on the other might consume a lot of fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Any decent hand held vacuums out there for clearing out Ash pan when dry

The ash vac's are big awkward plug in jobs , there looks to be a DeWalt vac I saw on net.

Most annoying part of owning a stove is the cleaning

Advertisement