Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

CD2017 wrote: »
    Would love answers to this too. Have almost done a deal on 2 X Stovax insert stoves and just a little concered as its a huge purchase. Guy in the store has reassured me they are a grat brand, no problems etc but I would love a bit more feedback about potential downfalls with them

Stovax are a great stove but you pay well for it.
    Only major drawback is that spare parts are also quiet expensive when you eventually need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Forge83 wrote: »
    Stovax are a great stove but you pay well for it.
    Only major drawback is that spare parts are also quiet expensive when you eventually need them.

Do you have an experience with Nordpeis , what are they like?

I have one eye on getting a quadro 2 in the coming months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

R blacksmith any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

R blacksmith any good?

soap1978 wrote: »
    R blacksmith any good?

Blacksmith are an average brand. Nothing wrong with them but very basic.
    Many better quality options available, some at similar prices.

• Advertisement

Barr wrote: »
    Do you have an experience with Nordpeis , what are they like?

I have one eye on getting a quadro 2 in the coming months :)

Good quality stove. Wood only I think.
    Wouldn’t be a common brand so not a large number of them fitted in Ireland. So hard to get an accurate indication of common problems etc.
    But I think you would be quiet safe with it.

Good quality stove. Wood only I think.
    Wouldn’t be a common brand so not a large number of them fitted in Ireland. So hard to get an accurate indication of common problems etc.
    But I think you would be quiet safe with it.

Thanks Forge , yip they are all wood.

I was originally looking for a multi fuel but am definitely coming around to the idea of wood only.

They make a model ideal for a corner which has me sold on the look :)

Thanks Forge , yip they are all wood.

I was originally looking for a multi fuel but am definitely coming around to the idea of wood only.

They make a model ideal for a corner which has me sold on the look :)

This one is just as good in my opinion at a lot less money. I’ve no connection to either.
    http://stoneandstoves.ie/product/8kw-thor/

This one is just as good in my opinion at a lot less money. I’ve no connection to either.
    http://stoneandstoves.ie/product/8kw-thor/

Wow ,that is a grand less than the Nordpeis . Their looks are very similar for a corner stove.

Right , what is wrong with with it :D there has to be a catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

I recently found a small amount of insulation granules, the type used around the chimney liner, inside the stove.

Could this mean the liner is damaged and the vermiculite is falling out into the liner space and down into the stove?

Chimney was cleaned before Christmas but no vermiculite found then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Yes defiantly needs camera inspection.
    Did the stove have a big fire lately or chimney fire?
    But firstly make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm working In the room with the appliance...
    If the flue was to block with vermiculite, it would be highly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Replacing a Stanley jubilee stove, thinking of replacing it heats the water but no radiators.

Anybody got any ideas on what to might replace it.

The jubilee is pretty knackered like the chimneysection is fairly rotten.

Saw an esse ironheart a while ago and that was nice.

Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hi guys, we are in Dublin 7 and just wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere for a stove & installation. We are waiting on a quote from Penders Fireplaces and would love some feedback if anyone has used them or could recommend anyone else.

Please reply with recommendations by PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

Went with the Stovax Riva 66 and Riva 40. Got both inc piping etc for €3800 inc VAT. Bought from Flame in Carlow. They were very helpful and liased with my builder as I was clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭andy125

Anyone have any opinions on the Pierce Glas 6.5kw free standing stove, can't decide between that and a Henley Druid

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Hi all

I've just had a Riva 50 installed. I will mostly burn logs, but wanted the option of multi-fuel from time to time.

Do I need to install an 'optional multi-fuel kit' as described on their website in order to burn coal?

I've attached a pic of what the inside of the stove looks like. Am I missing some piece of the grate needed for multi-fuel burning?

Thanks in advance..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/N7dnV7gA2MHxB3KxzcmD8BJXRmqH31M0Ws1TjZTh2765i36GHDSNED-Hng08zzJLGqb4uAA=s114

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,211 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Coal/turf need a good air supply from underneath to burn well whereas wood burns better when it some from above. The kit probably provides an elevated spot for the coal to sit. I wouldn't think it's advisable to burn turf or coal without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

justo wrote: »
    Hi all

I've just had a Riva 50 installed. I will mostly burn logs, but wanted the option of multi-fuel from time to time.

Do I need to install an 'optional multi-fuel kit' as described on their website in order to burn coal?

I've attached a pic of what the inside of the stove looks like. Am I missing some piece of the grate needed for multi-fuel burning?

Thanks in advance..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/N7dnV7gA2MHxB3KxzcmD8BJXRmqH31M0Ws1TjZTh2765i36GHDSNED-Hng08zzJLGqb4uAA=s114

That's what the inside of my vitae inset stove looks like, I too am wondering what a multi fuel kit looks like.

Yes it's best to use kit for multi Fuel.
    It's basically a filler piece that sits on top of the grate . It pushes the fuel towards middle .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

rpmcs wrote: »
    Yes it's best to use kit for multi Fuel.
    It's basically a filler piece that sits on top of the grate . It pushes the fuel towards middle .
    Could I trouble you to share a photo or link to what they look like, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Would anyone know anything about Hota stoves and their quality please? I'm looking at a 5kw one.

Vetch wrote: »
    Would anyone know anything about Hota stoves and their quality please? I'm looking at a 5kw one.

Comparable quality with all the main selling brands such as Stanley, Heat Design, Henley, Boru etc.
    Of course there are better quality brands at twice the price but Hota is decent quality at reasonable prices.

MAJJ wrote:
    Could I trouble you to share a photo or link to

=multifuel+kits+for+stovax&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjoi5KSqIzaAhVIAcAKHTAhAykQ_AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=560#imgrc=qUktcSLQkIA3aM:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Advice please.
    I need to get my Stovax insert stove installed. I am getting conflicting advice re having to install a flex flue pipe in my new build chimney.. Builder and others telling me it is not needed and to save my 450€ extra.
    Is stove installer trying it on? Or what is best thing to do?

I would love independent advice please. We have new chimney and flue. With external air coming in from below.

Thanks,
    Corcadorcha

Advice please.
    I need to get my Stovax insert stove installed. I am getting conflicting advice re having to install a flex flue pipe in my new build chimney.. Builder and others telling me it is not needed and to save my 450€ extra.
    Is stove installer trying it on? Or what is best thing to do?

I would love independent advice please. We have new chimney and flue. With external air coming in from below.

Thanks,
    Corcadorcha

You don’t have to have it.
    But
    1. Your stove will operate better
    2. It will protect your new chimney for its lifetime.
    3. You will burn less fuel with it installed.

Personally from experience I think it’s worth the extra money in the long term even if it doesn’t in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

Meeting stove installer this week for my Riva 66 and 40. He has said that the magnesium board isn’t enough to stop the walls from cracking. He wasn’t hugely forthcoming with other options he just said that the plaster will end up cracking.

If I were to brick the fireplace or wallpaper it would that stop this problem, what I mean is, is it just an asthetic problem or is it a bigger issue?

Thanks

Whats the opion of pellet stoves on here.

As a fuel , are pellets cheaper to buy rather than wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Whats the opion of pellet stoves on here.

As a fuel , are pellets cheaper to buy rather than wood.

Another thread about Pellet stoves on here recently....would be worth a look

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Another thread about Pellet stoves on here recently....would be worth a look

Thanks , I'll have a look , seems to be an interesting alternative :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coin

Hi,
    I’m looking to change my stove over next few months. Currently have a Dovre 2000 but it’s just not doing it’s thing anymore.

Only need a room heater with approx 7kw (calculators say 6.75, room 4.5x4.5x5high). We’ve an inglenook style fireplace that you can actually walk into, with an 8 inch flue.

I’ve looked at good few stoves, very impressed with a 6kw Cleanburn (900€) and 6.5kw Hunter (800€). Bit worried about output is all.

Have seen plenty of Boru, Stanley and Henley but people keep telling me to steer away from them? Bottom line I guess, are these brands not that good/reliable or what would you suggest as an alternative.

Advertisement