Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Long Turn

Hi,

We have a small guesthouse, high ceilings and 22 radiators run on oil.
    We are looking at putting a wood burning stove in a sitting room - with back boiler to heat the rads. We have been recommended a Henley Hampton 30. Has anybody here any knowledge of these or any alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Long Turn wrote: »
    Hi,

We are looking at putting a wood burning stove in a sitting room - with back boiler to heat the rads. We have been recommended a Henley Hampton 30. Has anybody here any knowledge of these or any alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

i have circa 21 radiators. Counting in my head now so maybe 1 more.

I have the Glenmore 30B. It puts the same heat to the radiators as the Henley. I will fill it up with a load of logs and then probably a full 20kg bag of coal in a day. The rads will be warm and the house will be warm but the heating also kicks in that evening. It is great because it holds the heat, so I can throw a bucket of coal in at nighttime and then in middle of night the radiators will still have heat in them.....

You will use a lot of logs/coal if it is the only heater for a house with 21 rads

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    i have circa 21 radiators. Counting in my head now so maybe 1 more.

I have the Glenmore 30B. It puts the same heat to the radiators as the Henley. I will fill it up with a load of logs and then probably a full 20kg bag of coal in a day. The rads will be warm and the house will be warm but the heating also kicks in that evening. It is great because it holds the heat, so I can throw a bucket of coal in at nighttime and then in middle of night the radiators will still have heat in them.....

You will use a lot of logs/coal if it is the only heater for a house with 21 rads

We heat the rads with oil at present. I was told that we could use both. The back boiler or oil.

We heat the rads with oil at present. I was told that we could use both. The back boiler or oil.

We have the same. Don't get me wrong on a coal day their is nothing better. I fire it up and it will go all day and then keep house warm at night.

It will burn a lot of fuel as mentioned.

With that amount of rads you will not get piping hot radiators unless the oil kicks in. What I find is a slow build up of heat in the house but once you keep a decent fire going it really does keep the house warm..

My wife who is coldest person in the World complains if I have it going all day/night that the house is too warm at night then to sleep :p

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    We have the same. Don't get me wrong on a coal day their is nothing better. I fire it up and it will go all day and then keep house warm at night.

It will burn a lot of fuel as mentioned.

With that amount of rads you will not get piping hot radiators unless the oil kicks in. What I find is a slow build up of heat in the house but once you keep a decent fire going it really does keep the house warm..

My wife who is coldest person in the World complains if I have it going all day/night that the house is too warm at night then to sleep :p

Thanks for the reply. Hope to use logs mostly. A lot required?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Long Turn wrote:

Don't think you'll get the rads hot enough with logs alone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Forge83 wrote: »
    The sales guy is only reading from the brochure. Anybody with knowledge on stoves who would inspect this stove would tell you it’s design and materials used wo<script id="gpt-impl-0.4468165999398904" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_181.js"></script>n’t hold upto coal in the long term. I’m sure also if you requested a test cert from the salesman, he will provide you with one where wood was used and not coal.
    That’s not a fault on the stove, it’s a quality stove. Just not made for the madness of Irish people who want to burn coal in every stove.
    No good room heating stove should require coal to heat sufficiently.

Thanks Forge , good info there.

I would like the option of coal as well as wood so might look for alternatives.

Wasting your time with logs, Im sorry to say, I tried that for the first few months. Would load it up to the top....great fire but nothing to the radiators

Without coal you wont generate enough heat to heat the water

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

Uriel. wrote: »
    I have the Riva 55, great stove have had no issues with it. Have had some issues with chimney and draw but they've been largely resolved now. Don't think they were stove related.

Great thanks, lots of the reviews online have slated it, I need two and was looking at the Riva 50 for the smaller room and the Studio 2 for the larger space. Most people are complaining about the amount of smoke that comes from them when topping up etc? Have you had anything similar? Also is there anything you would recommend we do in advance of install to prevent walls cracking or other issues? The guy in the shop recommended getting Magnesium board instead of letting the builder plaster that wall??
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Barr wrote: »
    Forge83 wrote: »
    The sales guy is only reading from the brochure. Anybody with knowledge on stoves who would inspect this stove would tell you it’s design and materials used won’t hold upto coal in the long term. I’m sure also if you requested a test cert from the salesman, he will provide you with one where wood was used and not coal.
    That’s not a fault on the stove, it’s a quality stove. Just not made for the madness of Irish people who want to burn coal in every stove.
    No good room heating stove should require coal to heat sufficiently.

Thanks Forge , good info there.

I would like the option of coal as well as wood so might look for alternatives.
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.

In this weather you will need coal to get the rads hot enough. Otherwise you will need dry hardwood, kiln dried is too expensive in Ireland and our humid climate means they absorb some moisture back. I use a Henley 17kw boiler stove to heat 11 rads and the hot water. During Sep/Oct I use softwood - mainly larch @ 15% moisture. Nov to Feb is Hardwood < 20% moisture and coal as required. I will have my shed full of split dry logs full by June at the latest so it gets another season to dry.

In order to keep enough fuel for your proposed stove you would need a shed about 4 x 5 m full of wood and about 20 x 40kg bags of coal. Thats a lot of fuel to be dragging around. Maybe consider a pellet boiler stove? 

If your ground floor has a large open space then a dry stove would be a good addition, it would allow you to turn off the rads in this space and as someone else pointed out, no need to put coal in them. 

Your house is quite large, have you looked at zoning the heating system to reduce demand?

• Advertisement

We have a plentiful supply of trees around the house and thought that this would be sufficient.
    We could start the radiators with the oil boiler for an hour and let the stove keep it topped up for the day. Or am I being too optimistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Sorry if this is asked already...what are people's thoughts on Heritage stoves from Right Price Tiles?

They currently having a sale with some good value stoves but I wonder are they just cheap quality....thanks

We have a plentiful supply of trees around the house and thought that this would be sufficient.
    We could start the radiators with the oil boiler for an hour and let the stove keep it topped up for the day. Or am I being too optimistic?

You need to get the stove up to heat before it will kick in the pump. You can turn down the temp before the pump kicks in but this is pointless.

The issue I had was I couldnt get the temp up high enough for the pump to kick in so you are not heating the water to push around the house.

You can use kiln dried wood but this will cost more than coal

If you are planning on cutting the wood and using then you need to dry for 1-2 years.

This is what I done, house was surrounded with trees, cut them down. 3 sheds full but you they will heat room but not the rads so I buy coal in from North and use that in bid betsy

I am going to swap the smaller room heater stove for wood pellet stove and see how that works and then might swap the bigger one. Once all the wood in sheds are burned up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

hi looking for some advice please. tried searching but mixed results.
    with the "beast of east" coming can you tell me if its safe to light my boiler stove with no electricity - some posts saying yes and others no? if ESB goes when lit whats best procedure then?
    also and probably most relevant but is it safe to light stove with no mains water (frozen mains)
    many thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

damo80 wrote: »
    hi looking for some advice please. tried searching but mixed results.
    with the "beast of east" coming can you tell me if its safe to light my boiler stove with no electricity - some posts saying yes and others no? if ESB goes when lit whats best procedure then?
    also and probably most relevant but is it safe to light stove with no mains water (frozen mains)
    many thanks for any help

Mains water going makes no difference. Heating is a separate system. If your electricity goes and you can't power a circulating pump then do not attempt to light the stove. It will boilthe water and damage your stove

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Mains water going makes no difference. Heating is a separate system. If your electricity goes and yoy can power a circulating pump then do not attempt to light the stove. It will boilthe water and damage your stove
    thanks for that Chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi All

I have shifted my look too a stove that suits a corner.

The two I have come across is a Nordpeis Qaudro 2 and the Nordpeis S-31A

What would ye reckon of those options.

I had hoped for a multifuel but seems they come as wood only.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi, does anyone have recommendations for a stove fan and is a thermometer on the stove a necessary addition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi, does anyone have recommendations for a stove fan and is a thermometer on the stove a necessary addition?

I bought a generic one from Ebay , not happy with it, as it only rotated when the stove top was v hot

replaced it with a Hansa, more expensive but it works v well

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,216 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do Stove fans work? And would they fit on top of an inset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Mickeroo wrote: »

You should not need them on an inset.

sooty_soupy

Adverts | Friends
    LAST ONE TONIGHT
    Hi Hashey,

the Riva 66 instruction will clearly state that the chimney breast needs to be plastered with heat resistant screed. We couldn't get it easily, so we used a sheet of 12mm masterboard fitted to the wall with the hole cut through for the unit to sit on the concrete plinth we built above the log store. This was painted with heat resistant paint and it has worked well with our Riva 55 for years. I wouldn't pack with rockwool, as this restricts air movement which helps keep the back of the unit cool. The air will be drawn under the stove and it is then vented out through the top using convection currents, which so many inset stoves utilise. With the bigger Riva products, this heat can also be ducted to other rooms if needed and this can all be encouraged with optional electric fans.

You should think about steel lining with insulation as it is possible that the existing clay liners may not have insulation around them, but as Peter says, it is unlikley this is the full cause, but it could only help. Read the other posts on reducing the diameter of the flue to suit the appliance.

Best regards

David

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,216 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Our inset doesn't work like that I'm pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same as I have an inset stove in the sitting-room which gets nice and warm and there is an archway into the kitchen next to it, but the warm air doesn't circulate into that space.

It seems you would need a shelf to attach a fan. And the shelf conducts the heat to the fan.

There is this shelf on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valiant-FIR134-Inset-Stove-Bracket/dp/B01M9D3R3S

leck wrote: »
    I'm wondering the same as I have an inset stove in the sitting-room which gets nice and warm and there is an archway into the kitchen next to it, but the warm air doesn't circulate into that space.

It seems you would need a shelf to attach a fan. And the shelf conducts the heat to the fan.

There is this shelf on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valiant-FIR134-Inset-Stove-Bracket/dp/B01M9D3R3S

We've a stratford eb12i and it has a nice flat top on it so I think we might get away without the shelf. Its a very good stove for heating the radiators and that but not a great room heater so I'm curious to see would these fans work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I'm in the market for an inset stove and have been reading this and other threads, and about various problems people have written about. I'm trying to understand what the biggest causes of problems are in order to educate myself a bit. Is it poor installation? Is it poor stoves? Is it stove users not experimenting with stove settings to get it right? Problems with chimneys? Is it a bit of all of them or something else altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

Vetch wrote: »
    I'm in the market for an inset stove and have been reading this and other threads, and about various problems people have written about. I'm trying to understand what the biggest causes of problems are in order to educate myself a bit. Is it poor installation? Is it poor stoves? Is it stove users not experimenting with stove settings to get it right? Problems with chimneys? Is it a bit of all of them or something else altogether?

Would love answers to this too. Have almost done a deal on 2 X Stovax insert stoves and just a little concered as its a huge purchase. Guy in the store has reassured me they are a grat brand, no problems etc but I would love a bit more feedback about potential downfalls with them

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kerdiff

Can anyone recommend a hot air distribution stove over boiler stove. My home is about 250 square meters and not to sure what system to go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Forge83

Vetch wrote: »

In short it’s a bit of all of the above.
    Get a well known branded stove and a qualified installer and you should be fine.
    Ask the questions about stove install, settings and chimney draughts beforehand.

Advertisement