Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cks5

Any recommendations or otherwise on either a 7kw ACR ashdale stove or brightfire 10kw fsd stove ?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I'm considering buying a Henley Druid 14kw double sided stove. Anyone got any feedback on this stove?
    And on double sided stoves in general. Is there any disadvantages to having the second door?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

peadar76 wrote: »
    I'm considering buying a Henley Druid 14kw double sided stove. Anyone got any feedback on this stove?
    And on double sided stoves in general. Is there any disadvantages to having the second door?

Only guessing, but if you had both doors open and there was a draft in the room it might blow the exhaust into your room rather than up the flue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

screamer wrote: »
    Does anyone know if an inset stove can be installed into a timber fire surround which has a metal insert at the moment? I've been looking for the regs everywhere but I can't find them. I want to get a stove fitted without wrecking my room so I'm trying to see how much I'm looking at before I get an installer.
    Yes, that's what I ended up doing. Henley Arklow 5KW.
    The manual will give you the "distance from combustibles" measurements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

Yes, that's what I ended up doing. Henley Arklow 5KW.
    I'm just back from shopping for an insert stove. Had a standard fireplace originally, self installed a stanley oisin some years ago - have taken that out and want to get an insert stove installed instead.

Have Timber surround fireplace with Granite insert. The Sales guy told me that the only stove that could be used with a Timber surround was a Henley Arklow 5kW.

Is this true or is there an alternative to this stove for those who have timber surround fireplaces??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

No...he is obviously a henley stockist!!
    they are a few...of the top of my head... and do your own research ...
    Stovax stockton 7 ...
    ecoburn 7 inset
    hamlet solution 7 inset,
    Few more but id have to do more research,

And to clarify ...
    just becaue they say they are suitable for timber fireplace does not mean they suit All timber fireplaces.

Building regs state minimum 300mm above any solid fuel stove.
    some of these like the arklow and others have them tested to slightly below this 300mm...or just on 300mm,

So for this to work with an inset like the arklow....
    Stove is 592mm high
    plus 300mm for building regs
    total 892mm from hearth to nearest timber above....
    this would be the minimum in any case..

But if you read the arklow manual ( on their own website)it states 700mm each side of stove....
    dont know how to achieve this with timber surround...or explain to insurance companys...but thats just my view...
    be aware is more the point.

Henley would be probably middle of the road Quality/Price... but after service and jumping to repair problems would be questionable! IMHO...

rpmcs wrote: »
    No...he is obviously a henley stockist
    Of course :-)

Thanks for the info.

Not sure where to go price/quality wise. Their price seems to be good for this particular stove (by comparison with other stockists). However, I'm unsure if I should be shelling out more for a better quality stove?

The stove will likely get light usage. That said, I'd like to be as savvy as I can in my purchase.....

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kjgf123

Hi all,

Currently looking into getting an insert stove fitted, a friend has recommended the Henley Achill 17kw.

Just like peoples opinions on the quality of Henley stoves. The stove will be used to feed 8 radiators, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

kjgf123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Currently looking into getting an insert stove fitted, a friend has recommended the Henley Achill 17kw.

Just like peoples opinions on the quality of Henley stoves. The stove will be used to feed 8 radiators, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the Yeoman Cl7 find it great. Check it out.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Hi all,

We're looking at the Scandinavisk Attityd 510 inset wood burning stove.
    It's sold by a number of Irish resellers, including
    http://houseofheat.ie/product/insert-fires-cork-scandinavisk-510/

Looks great in the showroom.

The manufacturer is here with some of the tech specs.
    http://www.spismiljo.se/produkter/kassetter-insatser/product/48-attityd-510

However, I can find very little online about this manufacturer and model, so would welcome any experience anyone might have!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jeepsterboy

hello, if you are still contributing to boards could you let me know please? i've ordered a dimplex inset stove and wanted to ask a question or two, if you didn't mind. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Foresty

hello, if you are still contributing to boards could you let me know please? i've ordered a dimplex inset stove and wanted to ask a question or two, if you didn't mind. thanks!

Who are you asking that of?

I'm just back from shopping for an insert stove. Had a standard fireplace originally, self installed a stanley oisin some years ago - have taken that out and want to get an insert stove installed instead.

Have Timber surround fireplace with Granite insert. The Sales guy told me that the only stove that could be used with a Timber surround was a Henley Arklow 5kW.

Is this true or is there an alternative to this stove for those who have timber surround fireplaces??
    At the time it was the only stove I could find that would fit in the wooden surround that I have.
    Spent ages having no luck ringing stove places.
    I was about to replace the whole fireplace, which I didn't want to do.
    Then a sales person told me the Henley Arklow had been tested to allow smaller distances to combustible materials.
    It was 300mm to the top, can't remember what the side value was but it just about worked.
    The shop where we bought the stove from confirmed that it met the regulations.
    Installed by a HETAS approved engineer as well, so all above board.
    Give them a call yourself to clarify.
    There's a picture on their Facebook page of a similar installation in a wooden surround fireplace as well.

At the time it was the only stove I could find that would fit in the wooden surround that I have.
    How long do you have the stove? Do you think with hindsight it was a good purchase in terms of price, suitability and quality (relative to outlay)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Howdy,

I have a small shed/games room (25sqm) and was looking at installing the simplest, smallest version of a solid fuel stove.

Any advice for a novice?

How long do you have the stove? Do you think with hindsight it was a good purchase in terms of price, suitability and quality (relative to outlay)?
    Had it about a year or so now.
    When it comes to the price it was the cheapest option by a mile and the only one that was suitable.
    Anything else would have been a lot more expensive and would have meant a complete new fireplace or opening up the existing one.
    No issues with quality either.
    One thing I will say is make sure to get a CCTV inspection of your chimney to save you getting any surprises during installation.
    And shop around, some shops seem to think they're a luxury purchase and want to charge you big bucks.

And shop around, some shops seem to think they're a luxury purchase and want to charge you big bucks.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. Do you happen to recall what you paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Before we even buy a stove....and we have decided on a 7kw inset stove...this is what we have been quoted (copied and pasted from a local installer in Louth):

14 metres to cover flue (we are a ground floor apartment with duplex above)
    Cowl, skirt and adaptor
    Matt flue at stove
    Insulation wrap at stove
    CO2 meter
    Scissor lift to roof
    Take old fire back out
    New concrete base for insert
    Sweep & clean chimney
    Labour

€1270

And all before a stove is bought. I knew it would be more expensive due to the height of the chimney and the need for a scissor lift etc. But that price stretches it beyond my budget as I had said €1600 for the whole job.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. Do you happen to recall what you paid for it?
    No, not off hand.

No, not off hand.
    Got a quote for the 5kW Henley Arklow matt insert for €840 inclusive of VAT(stove - €490, ceramic jacket - €100 & install - €250).

Thats with liner installed to first pot. Is that a decent price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭magicray

Just wondering would anyone have any idea how much fitting would be for a Henley 6k stove, I have the stove already and have had my chimney cleaned

Its going into my fireplace in place of the open fire

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

How's it going, Thinking of getting a stove installed, but just wondering about ventilation in the room. We currently have an open fire, which is piped for gas but not connected. Current ventilation is through open vents in the windows. These are fixed and can not be closed. Any advice on if we would need to put a vent in the wall or if the window vents are sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Had insert fitted recently, noticed upstairs chimney breast was still warm the following morning. This normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

You would have to measure size of open vent in window to see if they met requirements for stove.
    It all depends on what kW output your stove/ fireplace is so, you can refer to building regs then and see what open unrestricted air vent you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Twigster

rpmcs wrote: »
    You would have to measure size of open vent in window to see if they met requirements for stove.
    It all depends on what kW output your stove/ fireplace is so, you can refer to building regs then and see what open unrestricted air vent you need.

Thanks for that, house built in 2007 ish, based on looking those up the ventilation for a 5kw stove would be the same for an open fire. I'll confirm with installer at time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Twigster wrote: »
    Thanks for that, house built in 2007 ish, based on looking those up the ventilation for a 5kw stove would be the same for an open fire. I'll confirm with installer at time though.

Generally speaking if you currently have a vent in the room it will be large enough
    It must be non closeable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Fellow stovers, looking for advice on how best to seal the joins between toop of stove and Flu, and also the sections in the Flu. The original seal lasted about three years , and I recently resealed with fire cement. As can be seen from the pics, this is flaking away after a few weeks use. What is the best seal to use please Thank You400492.jpg400493.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭crxsi09

Hi i have a 5kw efel oil stove.the flame when burning is always orange.i have a bigger nestor martin too and that runs perfect, nice blue flame etc.someone i know also has the same small one as me so i know how it should run.
    I got someone out to look at it and he adjuated oil flow and use the air gauge.he put bit of cement around the pipe underneath the pot where the cables go into the igniror element.
    Noticed difference ataright away.it went more blue.so obviously air leak.
    However its still very orange, im wonderimg where else could there he an air leak?
    I have new wick seals all over the stove ao not them. Im thinking xould there be a leak in some inaccessible area or somewhere else?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

connundrum wrote: »
    Howdy,

I have a small shed/games room (25sqm) and was looking at installing the simplest, smallest version of a solid fuel stove.

Any advice for a novice?

If it's for young kids to play in you might want to think twice, dry stoves get very hot to touch and the danger of burns exists.

Otherwise, if it is single story you will need a pipe to extend several feet higher than the roof level in order to get enough draw. I suggest you go out through a wall with 2 x 45 degree bends instead of vertically through your roof to minimise the risk of leaks. This is not a diy job, if the heat sheilding isn't up to scratch you could create a fire hazard and your house insurance won't cover the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

gebbel wrote: »
    Before we even buy a stove....and we have decided on a 7kw inset stove...this is what we have been quoted (copied and pasted from a local installer in Louth):

14 metres to cover flue (we are a ground floor apartment with duplex above)
    Cowl, skirt and adaptor
    Matt flue at stove
    Insulation wrap at stove
    CO2 meter
    Scissor lift to roof
    Take old fire back out
    New concrete base for insert
    Sweep & clean chimney
    Labour

€1270

And all before a stove is bought. I knew it would be more expensive due to the height of the chimney and the need for a scissor lift etc. But that price stretches it beyond my budget as I had said €1600 for the whole job.

That seems the norm, I was giving price of 2k with Stanley insert on semi detached .

Advertisement