Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Perhaps they should go for more alt/indie bands and make it over 25, might keep the more undesirable elements away.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Perhaps they should go for more alt/indie bands and make it over 25, might keep the more undesirable elements away.

Yes because EVERYONE under the age of 25 is "undesirable". Idiot. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

make it over 25, might keep the more undesirable elements away.

Well that's just ridiculous :rolleyes:

Yes because EVERYONE under the age of 25 is "undesirable". Idiot. :rolleyes:

Of course they aren't I didn't say that but on the other hand there aren't many 30 and 40 your olds robbing, looting and burning tents at the likes of Oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Hopefully with the death of Oxegen this means that acts along the lines of The National, Leftfield, Fake Blood, Bloody Beetroots wont be wasted on the Oxegen crowd and will be in Stradbally instead. At Oxegen this year there must have been 1,000 people watching Leftfield headline the Green Spheres, whereas the two sets before hand (Calvin Harris and Example) had the tent bulging to capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

EP, please, please bring back the Chaplin campsite in 2012.

The "Quiet Camping" this year at the edge of the Warhol campsite was a joke. We need a less hectic spot for campers who have kids but still want to camp with friends who can't access family camping, and for people who just want a few hours sleep! Chaplin was great for that, and its loss this year was a real downer for some folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

my advice would be to simply get a b&b if ur that worried bout sleep
    EP is for party animals, not grandparents

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

conno16 wrote: »

Lose the attitude, another post where you belittle another poster in here and you're banned and you're not coming back.

What a crap attitude. :mad: I'm not a grandparent but I've seen some people at EP who probably are. As well as kids under 12, middle-aged groovers and younger people who love the music and the atmosphere, love to have a good time, but don't want to keep themselves up on pills from Friday morning to Monday morning. If you want to stay up for three days straight, grand, there are campsites for you. Ticketholders who want to get a couple (and I do mean only a couple) hours sleep should be accomodated too, and EP did cater for them nicely, until last year.

Also annoyed by people who intone that EP "is no place for children." EP has always been for all ages (except the most troublesome, ha). Why should it be coopted by 20-somethings who stamp their feet and cry keep out! --- we wanna ride the merry-go-round, wear pandabear hats originally made for toddlers, and pee pee on every vertical surface. We wanna act like children -- away from the judging gaze of children! :pac:

EP is for music fans of all ages first and foremost not just "party animals", I stay in a hotel as I want to get a decent sleep but to each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I hope there's a decent standard of dance acts again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

It's an interesting one about the kids at festivals and something I have yet to fully resolve in my own head. I'm 30, single with no kids so that's cards on the table.

On the "for" side, there's the very sound argument that it's against the spirit of EP (and festivals generally) to exclude people. Just because a couple have a kid(s), does that mean they can't still enjoy themselves and let their hair down? It seems very mean spirited to answer that with a defiant "no".

As with most things though there are shades of grey. If a parent is there with their child I don't think they can rush to the moral highground if they see a group of 20 somethings, boozing and even using colourful language nearby. Ultimately the 20 year olds havn't wandered into a creche, it's a music festival and I think the onus is on the parent to usher the child to 'safer' territory in these sorts of instances.

Like I say though, it's a tricky one!

Jeden wrote: »
    If a parent is there with their child I don't think they can rush to the moral highground if they see a group of 20 somethings, boozing and even using colourful language nearby. Ultimately the 20 year olds havn't wandered into a creche, it's a music festival and I think the onus is on the parent to usher the child to 'safer' territory in these sorts of instances.

I agree with you, the child is the parents' responsibility, and I didn't intend to take "the moral highground."

I have a 10-year-old son who LOVES music. We've taken him to EP the last two years (for the first night only, then off to granny's for the rest of the weekend while we let our hair down). Because almost all concerts are 18s-only it's his only opportunity to see live bands and experience the festival atmosphere -- with his parents, aunt, uncle, and friends --, and it is a highlight of his year. I don't expect people to "behave themselves" around him -- he is a cool kid, smart and mature for his years, and if he sees some drunk guy lurching around it's not a big deal. Jeez lots of kids see worse from relatives at their own communion parties.

What bugs me is people on boards or on the EP web site forum criticizing parents for bringing children to what is and has always been a family festival. Some kids get a great benefit from EP -- it depends on the kid and the parents.

And this annoyed me: this year, on the bleary Saturday morning after raining all night, I was walking with my kid to the portaloos in the Warhol camp and I could see the path ahead was blocked by a group of 3-4 highspirited lads, clearly up all the rough night, WIRED to the nuts, and they were wrestling with each other and rugby tackling passersby -- ahead of us they knocked a girl to the ground and injured her. We veered out around to avoid them, but when we passed by one of them caught sight of us, stopped what he was doing, and called out to me, "this is no place to bring children!" Can't help but think he was embarrassed to be caught acting the maggot by a child who looked at him like he was an idiot because he was acting like an idiot.

So, live and let live. If you wanna act like an idiot, be my guest -- I'm certainly in no position to judge :). But to suggest that my kid should be barred from the festival so you can feel more comfortable with your own bad behavior -- **** that.

I think the presence of kids and the older fans does a lot to keep EP mellow and happy and not another Oxegen with fights and slashings and tents lit on fire.

/end of rant. Looking forward to next year, Early Bird deposit paid, and my son and I already are discussing our ultimate lineups :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Jeden

Nicely put Kildare - although I wasn't talking about your situation specifically, just kids at festivals generally - it would be very hard to argue against the points you made and I'm not inclined to try!

It all depends on the attitude of the parent and to a lesser extent the child. The moderating effect that kids have on the more crass behaviour of some adults is one that strikes a chord definitely. It's also maybe a little closer to home than I'd like to admit....although my own antics would be more along the lines of the silly drunk as oppossed to anything nasty.

Is there a specific family camping area at EP? I'm not privvy to the arrangements at all but that would seem like a good idea in between the days so those looking for a few hours kip can stick together.

Hope you and the young lad enjoy EP 2012. Out of interest, who did make your ultimate line-up?

Is there a specific family camping area at EP? I'm not privvy to the arrangements at all but that would seem like a good idea in between the days so those looking for a few hours kip can stick together.

Yes, there's a Family Camping site, but there are a few issues that make it less than ideal for some people. First, it requires a special family campsite ticket, and these always sell out, so if you want one you might not get one. Then, in addition to the ticket, you must have a child physically with you in order to enter the site, so that rules out people without kids who just wanted to camp there for the peace. And if you do have a child, but wanted to camp alongside friends who don't have one, they can't join you in the segregated Family Campsite. So many people with kids, especially older kids, camp in the Quiet Campsite (a practice that EP recommends in its info for children). Which brings me back around to my first post above --- a plea for EP organisers to move Quiet Camping back to a restored Chaplin site!
    Hope you and the young lad enjoy EP 2012. Out of interest, who did make your ultimate line-up?

The Ultimate Lineup is the product of months of discussion in the lead-up to the magical weekend, with many whimsical and farfetched additions, agonised deletions, and unlikely scenarios! But so far . . .

Public Enemy and Big Audio Dynamite were highlights for me last year and I'd love to see them again. Snoop Dog or De la Soul or the Beasties. Kanye. Seasick Steve again at the Salty Dog. Oh! -- Tom Waits at the Salty Dog! Leftfield, Swedish House Mafia. Mashup artist Girl Talk. Kings of Leon or the Drive-by Truckers. Re-formed Pavement! Rodrigo y Gabriela. A sexy tango band, with tango dancing. Beck. The Strokes. And something completely fantastical -- like an unannounced unplugged set by David Bowie on the Body and Soul stage, or a Replacements reunion!

The kid's top wish is Tinie Tempeh, who played in Ireland last year for over-18s only. Around the time of Oxegen he was convinced he saw Tinie doing his errands around Kildare -- at McLoughlin's petrol station in Newbridge, the Naas Tesco, etc. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 OpTiMuS Pr1mE

I cant wait for Electric Picnic :D Cant wait to see the line up even though I prob wont have a clue who they are as I am only 19 but none the less iv been there the past 2 years and had a way better time than at oxegen where i pretty much knew everyone playing. Its prob been said but anyone else think the scum from oxegen are going to make there way to electric picnic?? Hope they bring back the neutroniyx stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 OpTiMuS Pr1mE

I cant wait for Electric Picnic :D Cant wait to see the line up even though I prob wont have a clue who they are as I am only 19 but none the less iv been there the past 2 years and had a way better time than at oxegen where i pretty much knew everyone playing. Its prob been said but anyone else think the scum from oxegen are going to make there way to electric picnic?? Hope they bring back the neutroniyx stage!!
    O ye it has been said sorry!

Anyone else's second instalment still yet to come out?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pussnboots

maximoose wrote: »
    Anyone else's second instalment still yet to come out?

The second instalment is not due to come out till Feb with the final one due in March!! Plenty of time to get everything else sorted!!

Pussnboots wrote: »
    The second instalment is not due to come out till Feb with the final one due in March!! Plenty of time to get everything else sorted!!

That must be for tickets bought after Dec. My second instalment was due out Jan 4th, was eventually charged to my card on the 6th :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

my 2nd payment can out of my account on the 9th of Jan. I did read somewhere that it was suppose to be on Jan 31st but I think that changed.
    It said on my on line receipt that it would be the start of jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭stephen.87

My two deposits have been paid also and third and final will come from my card at end of February :) come one Sigur Ros

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

what is this about sigor ros?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sporina wrote: »
    what is this about sigor ros?

any sources for this or is it just twitter talk?

Twitter talk I believe, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Orbial with a new album out in April and Uk tour....I'd say they will be certs for Electric picnic

Woudl imagine Miike snow shoudl be playing at picnic too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

The Cure seemingly playing (presumably headlining):

http://www.thecure.com/blog/default.aspx?nid=37683
    b4921360-2a87-4953-bb52-14cbe9a978c1.jpg
    2012 SUMMER FESTIVALS
    THE CURE WILL BE HEADLINING A SERIES OF MAJOR EUROPEAN MUSIC FESTIVALS THIS SUMMER
    CURE.COM ANNOUNCEMENTS WILL COINCIDE WITH FESTIVAL SITES
    FIRST THREE CONFIRMATIONS THIS MONDAY…

HULTSFRED FESTIVAL, SWEDEN
    14-16 June 2012 -
    www.hultsfredsfestivalen.se
    Tickets - www.eventim.se/hultsfred
    >already on sale

HURRICANE FESTIVAL, GERMANY
    22-24 June 2012 -
    www.hurricane.de
    Tickets - http://www.hurricane.de/tickets/index.php
    Ticket hotlines: +49 1805 853 653
    >already on sale

SOUTHSIDE FESTIVAL, GERMANY
    22-24 June 2012 -
    www.southside.de
    Tickets - http://www.southside.de/tickets/index.php
    Ticket hotlines: +49 1805 853 653
    >already on sale

the image above with no blur/warping/etc allegedly:

thecure_2012_moeglichkeit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The Cure seemingly playing (presumably headlining):

Back of the net........

Happy, not delighted, but happy with that if it's true :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

was there any mention of Dr Dre/Snoop Dogg at all in this thread yet?

just interested to know as they're headlining one of the stages (together) at Coachella

that would be pretty darn cool, personally speaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement