Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Stock Checker - CheckArgos.com (Jul 15 - Preview of new site now avaialbe)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DaveGefow

thanks op

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

syboit wrote: »
    thanks, here's the number, 388/2816

Thanks for the feedback, you identified a bug ok.

Im after uploading the fix for it there, but I dont know if its just the time of the evening or what but it seems to be returning unknown status a lot! (although i wasnt testing it all day, sometimes argos is just moody)

I'll keep an eye on it over the evening to see does the stability improve, the fix shouldnt have had an effect on stability, but maybe seems like too much of a coincidence. Could people keep me posted on the unknown status thing (if there is particular shops that are getting it etc).

Also i noticed a bug with firefox, OOS items should appear red (items that can be ordered yellow). They dont show up on firefox, will look into too.

EDIT: no wait i borked it :/

Will try and sort it now.

EDIT EDIT: OK i think its fixed now. (stock levels, not firefox)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

The mobile version isn't working for me on my Android or in Firefox

I had started on an Android app but there doesn't seem much point with the mobile version now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Im after uploading the fix for it there, but I dont know if its just the time of the evening or what but it seems to be returning unknown status a lot! (although i wasnt testing it all day, sometimes argos is just moody)

I'll keep an eye on it over the evening to see does the stability improve, the fix shouldnt have had an effect on stability, but maybe seems like too much of a coincidence. Could people keep me posted on the unknown status thing (if there is particular shops that are getting it etc).

Also i noticed a bug with firefox, OOS items should appear red (items that can be ordered yellow). They dont show up on firefox, will look into too.

EDIT: no wait i borked it :/

Will try and sort it now.

EDIT EDIT: OK i think its fixed now. (stock levels, not firefox)

thanks, searches now coming back ok for me :)

Over 1400 searches since yesterday, not bad! That also doesnt include any searches made through Basqs site if im not mistaken to the way hes worked his site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Over 1400 searches since yesterday, not bad! That also doesnt include any searches made through Basqs site if im not mistaken to the way hes worked his site.
    Yeah, I'm using your script to query.

Hope you don't mind but my hosting company has bizarrely strict restrictions on PHP (they have some PHP functions like 'allow_url_fopen' set to off, so stuff like get_headers doesn't work)... this has all gotten a tad nerdy!

But if you've a problem with me using the script, just let me know and I'll take it down - no problem!

And this is why I'm more than happy to let you use the mobile version on your site.. maybe detect user-agent and redirect to as a new subdomain (e.g http://mobile.checkargos.com) - sure we'll chat about it. Not really the place for it here!

Oh, and have a few ideas on suggestions on one or two useful features so pop me a PM when you've a minute.

PS - have added an image and title to the mobile version.. as below:

photo_8.png
    Argos Stock Checker

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Hi basq. For some reason I am able to delete text from the page on iPhone. It the pops up a msgbox with the text to the left

swampy353 wrote: »
    Hi basq. For some reason I am able to delete text from the page on iPhone. It the pops up a msgbox with the text to the left
    Yeah, they're actually text-boxes but I might make them non-editable. Ta for that!

EDIT: That's done now.. you shouldn't be able to delete the text now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Very nice site.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Nope, I think that is the time of the evening, once the Argos stores close, stock levels are refreshed as reserved items that weren't purchased are released back into the wild, I've noticed it before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Good work lads. I'll check the mobile one out on the iPod touch later.

Looks very good on the ipod..

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

Basq, just a suggestion but would it be possible to have the catalogue number as a number only field? Just the input would be a bit quicker, also then you're not handling exceptions for non standard characters. Great site to both you and the op

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Is it possible to pull back the price and reduction etc and list it on the site. Then for any bargains, we could just link to the stock checker site and everyone could see instantly what the cost is and the availablity :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

d31b0y wrote: »
    Is it possible to pull back the price and reduction etc and list it on the site. Then for any bargains, we could just link to the stock checker site and everyone could see instantly what the cost is and the availablity :)

I think if you include the url for your result it should work, here is 1 I did earlier 3882816 LEGO® City Airport it should show you the search results.

swampy353 wrote: »
    Basq, just a suggestion but would it be possible to have the catalogue number as a number only field? Just the input would be a bit quicker, also then you're not handling exceptions for non standard characters. Great site to both you and the op
    Yeah, shouldn't be a problem. Will look into it later.
    d31b0y wrote: »
    You can certainly do this on witnessmenow's site by doing the following:

http://www.checkargos.com?productId=<insert catalogue number here>

(e.g http://www.checkargos.com/index.php?productId=400/7298).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Oh yer... so you can. Site is blocked in my work so couldn't check properly. I wonder who registered that URL before you witnessmenow (and more to the point, what they were doing with it) :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

witnessmenow

Can a link be added to reserve the item on the Argos website (when I click on a store with stock on the results) or maybe the Argos reservation number at the button of the page.

Basq

Also looking great just couple of comments, can the price be include on the result? Also same as above on the link or reservation number.

nava wrote: »
    witnessmenow

Can a link be added to reserve the item on the Argos website (when I click on a store with stock on the results) or maybe the Argos reservation number at the button of the page.

Basq

Also looking great just couple of comments, can the price be include on the result? Also same as above on the link or reservation number.

I had a quick look before at reservations and I got nowhere. When I get more time ill have another look.

I can provide basq the price. I have a function for it already just need to give you a way of calling it.

I had a quick look before at reservations and I got nowhere. When I get more time ill have another look.
    The well established iCheckStock doesn't even allow this (AFAIK), so don't think it's easily done... they would have done it by now if it was.
    I can provide basq the price. I have a function for it already just need to give you a way of calling it.
    It's OK.. I've that done already. Thanks anyways mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

I like what you guys have done, fair play to yis :)

Been meaning to give http://www.cataloguecompare.com a stock checker (and some maintenance) for ages but never got round to it. This has given me the motivation to get started on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭dodzy

viking wrote: »
    I like what you guys have done, fair play to yis :)

Been meaning to give www.cataloguecompare.com a stock checker (and some maintenance) for ages but never got round to it. This has given me the motivation to get started on it.
    I smell a killer partnership comin ;) bring it on !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

What do they say about buses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Bloody hell Basq don't jump in his grave as quick!

Pj! wrote: »
    Bloody hell Basq don't jump in his grave as quick!
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    thanks to OP for a great time saver.
    Could you incorporate a search for "Less than half price" items and display only the ones that have stock?
    Pajoe

Hi,
    thanks to OP for a great time saver.
    Could you incorporate a search for "Less than half price" items and display only the ones that have stock?
    Pajoe

If you can provide a link to that search on Argos I can look into it.

To be honest I don't have any interest in making it check every product looking for half price stuff recursively at this time. There is more user side stuff I'd like to implement first. As I was typing this it did sound better and better though :)

To be honest I don't have any interest in making it check every product looking for half price stuff recursively at this time. There is more user side stuff I'd like to implement first. As I was typing this it did sound better and better though :)
    I don't think there's an easy way to do it without literally parsing through pages and pages of products.

There was a useful little feature I spotted on the Argos site the other day that allowed you to view clearance stock by store.. so you could eliminate out-of-stock clearance items in your local store.. but can't seem to find it now! :(

I'll look into it this evening anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

This link allows you to select your store and view clearance items http://www.argos.ie/static/ArgosClearance

THAT'S the one! :D

Many thanks JohnK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

thanks to the guys for these stock checkers.

makes me wonder why Argos make it so difficult!

Advertisement