Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul McGrath's new Career

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Motivator

You have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about. Ireland has produced probably 3 truly world class footballers in my lifetime - Brady, Keane and McGrath. To even argue that McGrath wasn’t world class is just ridiculous. it has nothing to do with Irish people blowing him up because he’s black and Irish. Irish people big him up because he was a fantastic player. Former English players and managers have often spoke about how good he was. What stopped him getting to the very top in terms of clubs were his injuries and obviously his battles with drink which were widely known in English football.

I met him once and he was in the throes of his drink problems post playing days. It was around the time of the World Cup in 2002 and he was doing some work for Champion Sports who were opening up shops all over the country. McGrath would sit down and chat to people and sign some autographs and take photos etc. I have a signed ball in the house and the signature is very shaky. I can remember him looking in bad shape but he was such a gentle and nice man. He looked lost that day and it was sad to see. I’ve seen him more recently but didn’t meet him. Saw him playing golf in Bunclody last year and he looked in great shape and good on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I'm pleased to hear that. He is a victim of his own fame, in a sense. An extremely introverted individual - he has been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder - working in the overtly public world of professional football where alcohol abuse was common and tolerated by even major clubs like Manchester United.

Advertisement