Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul McGrath's new Career

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heard it on the radio the other morning, with the DJ saying how good it was before he played it.

I waited eagerly for it to start to see how good it was.

Jesus, how **** was it. But its for a good cause so .........

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

wixfjord wrote: »

OK, so I'm not trying to defend his actions BUT (yeah, there's always a "but")
    Mr Pepper claimed that McGrath was not in control of his actions at the time of the attack.

Drink can do terrible things, it changes people, makes them do things they wouldn't normally do, it shouldn't be a global excuse for getting away with murder (so to speak) but people should be aware the alcoholism is an illness not a choice and pointing fingers, never letting people forget their mistakes and constantly holding these mistakes against them is not going to help them, if anything, it will make them relapse.

Give Paul McGrath a break, he is only human and has made mistakes, he's getting his life back together again and all I can do is wish him the best of luck in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I have to admit, it does grow on you after another listen and after the initial reaction of "It's Paul McGrath....SINGING!!!!....WTF!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Where can you buy the Chef Curry Chips sauce that Paul McGrath advertises on TV?

I'll do anything for the man; he's a God. But I've never seen this sauce in any of the shops I frequent.

Is there a chain that stocks it?

(I'm not saying I'll eat it; but I'll buy it to let the suits now Paul's endorsement sells) :)

The man has a really excellent speaking voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Bizzare reason to resurrect a 10 year old thread for, given that it’s easier to do a search for the answer than it is for the thread, but here you go:

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/food-cupboard-dry-packet-sauces-chef-chip-shop-curry-bottle-325-g-/p-1720084000

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Threads over 10yrs old!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

It’s widely available, I’ve seen it in Tesco and Dunnes. ( the curry sauce that is.)

On a separate note, is Paul McGrath the most widely loved public figure in Ireland ? It seems that no- one has a bad word to say about him (and rightly so in my view). It’s hard to think of anyone that comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought the worst had happened

that's all the country would have needed at the moment

Never seen it in any Tesco. SuperValu next port of call :)

• Advertisement

I've definitely seen it in SuperValu but never got it because it looks manky :P

WOW!!!!

Well seeing this thread is more than 10 years old!!!!! 😲 😲 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I always thought him a bit insincere. A gentle guy with a mostly pleasant demeanour but with a nasty streak and a hint of menace beneath the surface. This was sometimes evident on the field of play. His behaviour toward his ex wife was at times abusive, this being exacerbated by drink. There was a tolerance of excessive drinking in English football when McGrath was playing that enabled him to get away with things that he would not get away with were he playing today like turning up for games pissed or going AWOL. Big Ron and Big Jack tended to turn a blind eye to these transgressions. He was a very good all round footballer but not a great one as some would claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

You can't have ever seen him play because he was a great player in every sense of the word. Paul played during the 80s and 90s when footballers were a tougher breed and he could handle himself in any situation. But he was never dirty. And I doubt you'd find anyone who said he was.

As for his personal life, his drinking drove him to places I'm sure he's ashamed of, but the fact he still has good relationships with his children and former wives speaks of his true personality.

Honestly, there aren't any people I can think of that are as universally loved as Paul McGrath. And when you consider what a begrudging country we are, that's saying something.

Paul McGrath was one of the great defenders. That's not even debatable. Ask any pro footballer and they'd all answer the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Couldn't open the link. I gather he singing or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Because he's Irish - though English born, I think - and black he's the greatest thing to ever don a green Jersey. If he were German or Brazilian he would just be another ordinary footballer. We tend to be OTT in this country with regard to our leading footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Curry sauce is available in supervalu.

Its ok for dipping

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Some of the greatest goal scorers the game has seen (Ian Rush one example) regard him as the best defender they ever played against but some guy on boards thinks he was bang average? K!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

What a crock of sh1t.

I don't even watch football anymore but it was my absolute passion as a young lad.

Paul Mcgrath is the greatest player to ever play for Ireland,Roy Keane the only other in the same conversation.

He was at fault for a goal against Denmark in world Cup qualifier in 1993,outside of that I never saw him put a foot wrong in green Jersey,that's incredible ( even though I'm sure I'm missing one or two others)

He acted like a pr1ck sometimes when in the throws of alcoholism,that's what alcohol does when you're that far gone.The fact that he addressed that and came back from it is another mark of the man.

How anybody can construe anything hes done as " insincere " is baffling and says more about that posters judgement than anything else.If anything he's been too honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Drivel..... So by your logic Phil Babb and Clinton Morrison are routinely mentioned in the same breath as McGrath are they?

If Paul McGrath hadn't been dogged by alcoholism and injury, he'd be there with Keane as the greatest Irish player of his or any generation. He was an exceptional reader of the game, a razor sharp football brain and instinct which often carried him through games where he physically wasn't as the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

You must never have seen Johnny Giles play . Greatest ever Irish player

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Paul McGrath was an absolutely stellar footballer.

Up there with the very best in terms of wearing the green jersey. He’s a legend. He also comes across as a pretty sincere, decent guy in interviews.

That said, I have a feeling he’s still struggling with the drink. As a recovering alcoholic myself (nearly three years fully sober now) I can often spot another alcoholic who may claim that they are on the sobriety wagon but aren’t - and with McGrath I don’t think he’s quite there yet.

I really hope he can fully conquer the demon drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

I certainly have read your posts and bow to the greater knowledge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Only my own opinion.

You are completely free to disagree with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is it ‘the contender’ the OP is on about? The link in OP’s post does not work.

If it is ‘the contender’ he sang that pushing a decade ago. And the first post was from his young fella.

Seems to have done it for the fun of it. I was prepared for it to be crap going by the OP. But it wasn’t bad some would say charming. Does not try to overly sing and is more talking than singing. I think the Germans call it ‘Sprechstimme’. Shaun Ryder would have done a more aggressive style of sprechstimme with the Happy Mondays.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement