Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Have you gone down the hypnotherapy route ?
    Friend of mine was a VERY bad flyer and after the last transatlantic where she was dosed up with Valium and 2 of us had to almost carry her onto the AC she tried it.
    I worked very well as we went to Nevada a few weeks ago and she was actually looking forward to the flights and didant take anything.

If you interested i could get the contact info for you ?

Only coming back to this now thank you for all the replies, it's weird when I'm at cruising its like I'm sitting in my room, I read, watch movies and may as well not be on that plane, it's just that bloody take off, it absolutely terrifies me. Thing is I've flown now about 10-15 times and never had a bad flight.

Thank you all for your replies I just need to start realising pilots want to get there safe and sound just like passengers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I just need to start realising pilots want to get there safe and sound just like passengers :)

Quote of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I was thinking this. If a pilot wanted to carry out a terrorist attack, all he'd have to do is fly the plane into something, so are pilots subject to the same restrictions as passengers? For example, are they allowed take nail clippers and liquids on a plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

Blisterman wrote: »
    I was thinking this. If a pilot wanted to carry out a terrorist attack, all he'd have to do is fly the plane into something, so are pilots subject to the same restrictions as passengers? For example, are they allowed take nail clippers and liquids on a plane?

That's the kind of post that should get you some special attention from our Washington and Cheltenham security friends on the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I think it's a good question and id love to hear the answer to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've seen a pilot go through regular airport security like the rest of us. I'd assume the restriction is still in place to stop them bringing in weapons that could be used to attack their co-pilot as they'd need immobilise them if they weren't part of the terrorist plan.

It would also mean a pilot couldn't bring something dangerous into the departure lounge and give it to a passenger going on a different flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Absurdly, many places do hold pilots to the same security restrictions as pax. The UK, Australia and Singapore all prohibit pilots from taking liquids of more than 100ml through security. Most other countries don't have that restriction.
    The UK airport security people (I won't call them officers, as that would imply some kind of formal professional) are probably some of the worst. My last time through security at a UK airport, operating as the Captain of a flight, I was subjected to the full shoes off, belt off, pat down, physical bag search circus. The pat down search itself bordered on sexual assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

A cynical joke told to me by an Aer Lingus co-pilot many years ago, reflecting on the scarcity of promotion prospects for aircrew.

Question : What's the first thing a co-pilot should do when he detects that the captain has suddenly died in the the left hand seat?

Answer: Immediately check the seniority list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Absurdly, many places do hold pilots to the same security restrictions as pax.

Terrorist#1 becomes a pilot.
    Terrorist#1 gets through security with bomb/gun.
    Terrorist#1 hands bomb/gun to Terrorist#2.
    Terrorist#2 blows up/hijacks airplane.
    Terrorist#1 rinses and repeats.

There's absolutely no reason pilots should get preferential treatment at airport security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

You missed out.

Terrorist #1 becomes a pilot. After many years and failed attempts at getting a job. Finally gets a job with a small turbo prop company who frankly don't fly anywhere particularly exotic. After a few years becomes captain and finally gets to become a martyr to the cause on a PSO flight from kerry to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

I'm pretty sure airport security in the UK have the hots for me. I get a daily lap dance off them anyhow!

Absurdly, many places do hold pilots to the same security restrictions as pax. The UK, Australia and Singapore all prohibit pilots from taking liquids of more than 100ml through security. Most other countries don't have that restriction.
    The UK airport security people (I won't call them officers, as that would imply some kind of formal professional) are probably some of the worst. My last time through security at a UK airport, operating as the Captain of a flight, I was subjected to the full shoes off, belt off, pat down, physical bag search circus. The pat down search itself bordered on sexual assault.

Absurdly?
    So your saying pilots should get preferential treatment?that they couldn't possibly want to do anything bad or be terrorists? I really hope you don't think that.
    They should maybe get their own room or area to be searched but its not absurd.pilots should be randomly searched like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

crazygeryy wrote: »
    pilots should be randomly searched like the rest of us.

We are to the point of harassment in UK / IRL airports IMO.

See eatmyshorts post......this is the crap we put up with day in day out and we get on with it. I object bare hands touching my arms which is utter harassment and insist staff wear gloves my for my regular pat downs. They are beginning to wear gloves in Irish ports now which is welcome.

The US I believe use a common sense approach re their security in dealing with flight crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Pilots are subject to the same restrictions as passengers and airport staff. As holders of airside passes we are allowed to bring through items that would normally be prohibited such as tools or liquids but this must be pre-approved by the Airport police and we have to prove that we need them to do our jobs. There are different levels of entitlement that say what we can bring through. For example one of the cleaners can bring in cleaning fluids exceeding 100ml but will get stopped with screwdrivers etc that a maintenance person will have permission to bring through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

LeftBase wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure airport security in the UK have the hots for me. I get a daily lap dance off them anyhow!

Ahhh FFS you pilots really have all the perks !!

Question\\

Don't know if asked earlier.

During landings, when relatively close to the ground i notice the plane moving a lot .. but very close to landing (seconds) the plane seems very stable again. Am i imagining this ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I truthfully don't know how pilots in the UK put up with the security checks on a regular basis, they are bordering on harassment. I fly in an environment where I'm respected for the job that i do, and therefore I'm not subjected to that harassment, its much easier on the blood pressure.

So crazygerry, i have to say that i disagree with you, pilots should be treated differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

smurfjed wrote: »
    I truthfully don't know how pilots in the UK put up with the security checks on a regular basis, they are bordering on harassment. I fly in an environment where I'm respected for the job that i do, and therefore I'm not subjected to that harassment, its much easier on the blood pressure.

So crazygerry, i have to say that i disagree with you, pilots should be treated differently.

I do agree but there tends to be a blanket approach in the airline industry these days. At the end of the day these guys and gals are at the front with all the buttons and if they have intentions to do damage they wont need anything that could be caught at security screening.

smurfjed wrote: »

Look i think they Do a fantastic job dont get me wrong and I'm not up to speed on what checks are like in various airports, but why shouldn't you be checked( not harrassed) like the rest of us.a pilot is just as likely to plan and execute something as anyone else is.
    I don't expect you to answer lets agree to disagree its my opinion.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Look i think they Do a fantastic job dont get me wrong and I'm not up to speed on what checks are like in various airports, but why shouldn't you be checked( not harrassed) like the rest of us.a pilot is just as likely to plan and execute something as anyone else is.
    I don't expect you to answer lets agree to disagree its my opinion.
    I don't disagree with being checked at all. It's the manner in which it's done in some jurisdictions that's the problem.
    Security in the UK seem to relish harassing flight crew. It's the typical "little man in a uniform" syndrome.
    I'm in control of 350 tonnes of metal, loaded with 450 people, 80 tonnes of jet fuel and going 700 mph, (by myself when the FO goes to the bathroom) and these guys think that they are keeping the public safe by relinquishing me of a set of nail clippers and a can of Coke.

Google the term "the security theatre", or circus as is known to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Any unemployed pilots on here? or how long should one expect to stay unemployed if looking for a job in Ireland on completion of an integrated pilot course?

• Advertisement

Any unemployed pilots on here? or how long should one expect to stay unemployed if looking for a job in Ireland on completion of an integrated pilot course?
    If you're going to restrict yourself to a job in Ireland, then prepare for a long, long, long wait.

If you're going to restrict yourself to a job in Ireland, then prepare for a long, long, long wait.

Ya I know what your saying, I have a friend he said it took him 13 months to get a job in Ireland, That is long alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Or pretty quick depending on how you look at it. I know someone working for 11 years at this stage who still hasn't been able to come back to Ireland.

Or pretty quick depending on how you look at it. I know someone working for 11 years at this stage who still hasn't been able to come back to Ireland.

**** me, that's tough going alright. Is he actively always on the look out for a job in Ireland? Surely he's been called for a number of interviews for a job in Ireland in that amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

What airlines are most likely to take someone on with a frozen ATPL?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

**** me, that's tough going alright. Is he actively always on the look out for a job in Ireland? Surely he's been called for a number of interviews for a job in Ireland in that amount of time?

Worked for Ryanair for 7 years hoping he'd be based in Ireland but never was. They based in 4 different bases over the 7 years, none of which were in Ireland. Then he left and has been working in the Gulf 2 months on, 1 month off for the past 4 years, commuting home for the month off to Ireland where his family live. Applied again and again to Aer Lingus, Aer Arann and Cityjet, was never even offered an interview, he'd love to work for any of them just to be based at home but it hasn't worked out for him.

That's just the way it is, some people are lucky and stroll into a job a couple months after training, some take a few years to come home but make it, some never do and some just don't get jobs. Getting an ATPL doesn't mean you'll get a job, and it certainly doesn't mean you'll get one in Ireland, you could be lucky, but equally you might not be, and if you are thinking of going for an ATPL, you'll need to go in prepared to spend a few years working abroad before hopefully coming home. Might never need to though, but it is a very real possibility.

Worked for Ryanair for 7 years hoping he'd be based in Ireland but never was. They based in 4 different bases over the 7 years, none of which were in Ireland. Then he left and has been working in the Gulf 2 months on, 1 month off for the past 4 years, commuting home for the month off to Ireland where his family live. Applied again and again to Aer Lingus, Aer Arann and Cityjet, was never even offered an interview, he'd love to work for any of them just to be based at home but it hasn't worked out for him.

That's just the way it is, some people are lucky and stroll into a job a couple months after training, some take a few years to come home but make it, some never do and some just don't get jobs. Getting an ATPL doesn't mean you'll get a job, and it certainly doesn't mean you'll get one in Ireland, you could be lucky, but equally you might not be, and if you are thinking of going for an ATPL, you'll need to go in prepared to spend a few years working abroad before hopefully coming home. Might never need to though, but it is a very real possibility.

That sounds tough alright, I'd be prepared to work abroad for a few years but just like himself would love to come home eventually settle down and have the Irish lifestyle and be close to family. Like a lot of people I'd love to fly as a career but the uncertainty around it all really puts me in two minds. Parting with my savings really is the big one and being in debt for tens of thousands while unable to find a job would really be a downer to say the least and ultimately would play on my mental wellbeing. Thanks for the story there tho.

Sweet damn all work in Ireland for an experienced pilot with a few 1000 hours so I'd be casting my net much wider if I were you. In fact I was told the rough rules of thumb for getting work at home in Ireland is "if you start flying at 18 chances are good, start at 25 - 30 chances are fair, start at 30+ chances are slim to none"

Also I'd be having a long think about going the integrated route. I went modular but work with guys who went integrated and some of them say that their classmates are finding it hard to service their much larger debt if they cannot find a job in the first year. Another issue that seems to be cropping up(I heard of this being raised at a certain airline's interviews) is the lower hours on the integrated courses around at the moment. Having 205h+(as you get with modular) seems to be favorable to having the bare 200h(as seen in integrated). In the same instance questions were asked about hour building structure as it seems some integrated schools molly coddle their students through hour building with pre-planned routes and fuel plans for them.

To throw my few pence in, since PTC went bang airlines are a lot more wary of these big schools and the product they offer(mind you they were still a little jittery before PTCgate). In my flying time I have found modular graduates a lot more independent and confident when it comes to planning and flying. Integrated guys seem to need a little bit of a push sometimes. Again just my few pence.

LeftBase wrote: »
    Sweet damn all work in Ireland for an experienced pilot with a few 1000 hours so I'd be casting my net much wider if I were you. In fact I was told the rough rules of thumb for getting work at home in Ireland is "if you start flying at 18 chances are good, start at 25 - 30 chances are fair, start at 30+ chances are slim to none"

Also I'd be having a long think about going the integrated route. I went modular but work with guys who went integrated and some of them say that their classmates are finding it hard to service their much larger debt if they cannot find a job in the first year. Another issue that seems to be cropping up(I heard of this being raised at a certain airline's interviews) is the lower hours on the integrated courses around at the moment. Having 205h+(as you get with modular) seems to be favorable to having the bare 200h(as seen in integrated). In the same instance questions were asked about hour building structure as it seems some integrated schools molly coddle their students through hour building with pre-planned routes and fuel plans for them.

To throw my few pence in, since PTC went bang airlines are a lot more wary of these big schools and the product they offer(mind you they were still a little jittery before PTCgate). In my flying time I have found modular graduates a lot more independent and confident when it comes to planning and flying. Integrated guys seem to need a little bit of a push sometimes. Again just my few pence.

I'm 28 now so I'd be just over 30 I'd say if I started it early next year. Ya your take on 30+ looking for a job in Eire is a real downer alright?didn't think it would be that unlikely when you say slim to no chance, having said that I have no mortgage, no financial commitments, or children, looking for career possibilities at the mo as my degree has got me nowhere and currently out of work. I'll keep my researching anyway and see where it takes me.

• Advertisement

I'm 28 now so I'd be just over 30 I'd say if I started it early next year. Ya your take on 30+ looking for a job in Eire is a real downer alright?didn't think it would be that unlikely when you say slim to no chance, having said that I have no mortgage, no financial commitments, or children, looking for career possibilities at the mo as my degree has got me nowhere and currently out of work. I'll keep my researching anyway and see where it takes me.

If you go integrated you will be buried in debt with the same job issues as everyone else(don't let the school tell you any differently). You will get work at 30+ but the chances of a stable job in Ireland would be a lot less but not impossible and even at that you are looking at Ryanair most likely.

Advertisement