Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

smurfjed wrote: »
    Very few aircraft have weight monitors, and given the tolerances required due to lift created by wind etc, they aren't very accurate.
    I would have thought that loadmasters would see them as a nightmare, as it would automate their role and remove the requirement to have them onboard.
    The load cells I referred to only worked on the ground.
    I think they worked on the principle of strain gauges on each undercarriage strut.
    Once airborne they were of course redundant.
    As regards the Loadmasters roll being diminished it merely removed a somewhat tedious chore.
    When preparing for a mixed load heavy drop where a drogue chute pulled out the main parachute and they in turn pulled out a four wheel drive laden with radio equipment, followed by a five ton lorry, followed by a medium or even a heavy tank, followed by several pallets of supplies, all chundering down the roller conveyer at a rate of knots towards the rear loading doors at 1000 feet AGL in turbulent conditions.... believe me the last thing you would need to worry about is having to prepare a trim sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Yes, but even on the ground with wind passing over he wing, that would reduce the stress on the landing gear and give a false lower indication using that method. To the best of my knowledge some commercial aircraft (A330/747?) have a system like that but it's only for checking the weight to a very rough degree, only to make sure there are no gross errors, but nothing to the level that is required to release the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Hello, I have a question, out of all the trainees that complete their training in Ireland, roughly how many of them or what percentage of new pilots start flying passenger planes as opposed to cargo or any other type of flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

Hello, I have a question, out of all the trainees that complete their training in Ireland, roughly how many of them or what percentage of new pilots start flying passenger planes as opposed to cargo or any other type of flights?

I'd love to know the answer to this question myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The vast vast majority will never get a rhs on a commercial aircraft. That is the reality that wannabes don't want to face. I would say as a rough figure completely plucked from the sky that something like 5-10% might get a start. Of that you have to wonder how many actually end up paying back their training and loss of earnings and making a successful living out of aviation.

From the attached you will see the number of CPLs issued for the 2012-13 year by the UK CAA. You can search out the other years and spreadsheet it but I am reasonably sure it is similar. 1300 each and every year including all those periods when airlines were letting go staff. It is also only one authorities statistics and within the EU you will be up against people from across it for jobs.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Licensing_Transactions_April_2011_March_2012.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Is there an noticeable difference flying an older Airbus/Boeing to a newer one, what I mean is would an A330 from 1998 feel different to a 2010 model? Thrust/flight characteristics etc..I say this because rumor was that EI-ORD was a quirky aircraft and required a lot of maintenance.

I have absolutely no evidence or links for this, is it just hear say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Is there an noticeable difference flying an older Airbus/Boeing to a newer one, what I mean is would an A330 from 1998 feel different to a 2010 model? Thrust/flight characteristics etc..I say this because rumor was that EI-ORD was a quirky aircraft and required a lot of maintenance.

I have absolutely no evidence or links for this, is it just hear say?

Good question. I know Captain Dave used to write about the additional performance you'd get from new engines on his blog so there must be some differences. Would like to hear what the pro's have to say though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I would say as a rough figure completely plucked from the sky that something like 5-10% might get a start
    Thats a scary statistic, especially considering that someones house is probably mortgaged against the training costs.
    I also wonder how many pilots are out there with 700 hours including 500 paid hours in an airliner, and are unable to get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

basill wrote: »
    The vast vast majority will never get a rhs on a commercial aircraft.

I think that is a rather harsh generalised statement to make. At any rate it could do with a little specific expansion.

Yes there are a lot of what you might term "carelessly gotten" CPL/IRs earned by people who have not done their homework and assume that they will trot up the steps of an A320/737 straight off their MCC, however there are a lot of people out there who are smart enough to look in to the airline game before they shell out big money and plot a course(or indeed a few possible courses).
    Those who throw money at big sausage factories like PTC, FTE and OAA and take out big loans with risky collateral to do so are walking a very dangerous path and can find themselves badly snookered in the end. However those who take the time to look in to training and what comes after have a larger success rate in the long run.
    A newly minted CPL/IR must appreciate that regardless of if you get employment or not you must keep flying at least 5 hours a month to keep yourself current. This keeps you frosty for one of the famously short notice sim checks that can happen and keeps the log book moving in the right direction. Those people to appreciate that will have a good chance of making it to a jet's RHS at some stage albeit perhaps not for a couple of years and a few 1000 hours in the book.

Harsh but true, it's the reality. The stats are out there but no one wants to crunch the numbers as they have a fair idea that it makes grim reading. Think also about how many people coming out of the sausage machine that are already a few rungs up the ladder due to networking and contacts. Many jobs are not even advertised at the smaller operators.

• Advertisement

10-15% REALLY!! So there are more less very little pilot jobs out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

How do I get over my fear of flying, mostly just take off. I need to fly more and see the world don't get me wrong I will fly when pushed to do so and have done on numerous occasions but I just hate the thought of it.

How do you pilots get up for work with no fear and just treat it as an every day job :(

Harsh but true, it's the reality. The stats are out there but no one wants to crunch the numbers as they have a fair idea that it makes grim reading. Think also about how many people coming out of the sausage machine that are already a few rungs up the ladder due to networking and contacts. Many jobs are not even advertised at the smaller operators.

The point I make is that there are people out there who do the work and do the research and for them the odds are much better.

The vast majority of those training at the moment have more money(or access to more money) than sense though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

How do I get over my fear of flying, mostly just take off. I need to fly more and see the world don't get me wrong I will fly when pushed to do so and have done on numerous occasions but I just hate the thought of it.

How do you pilots get up for work with no fear and just treat it as an every day job :(
    Probably won't be of much comfort to you but you should look at the statistics.
    Flying is safer than crossing the street.
    That said, I think even the most experienced airline Captain must experience a little frisson of anxiety at takeoff or landing.
    It's only natural and keeps people on their toes. A little like a good actor going out on stage every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Have you gone down the hypnotherapy route ?
    Friend of mine was a VERY bad flyer and after the last transatlantic where she was dosed up with Valium and 2 of us had to almost carry her onto the AC she tried it.
    I worked very well as we went to Nevada a few weeks ago and she was actually looking forward to the flights and didant take anything.

If you interested i could get the contact info for you ?

If we feared flying we we would never have gotten in to it as a career.

I know myself that growing up I was one of these people who had a less than prominent regard for my own personal safety. I enjoy flight phases like take off and landing and the possible challenges that they involve such as wind, visibility and runway length, layout or characteristics.

There used to be courses running every now and then. You could try giving Simtech a call as they will more than likely know. Might involve a long weekend in the UK now though. Most of it stems from a fear of the unknown and/or lack of control issues. The courses try and demystify flying even down to discussing noises that you are likely to hear etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Dear pilots, what does the sky look at night from the cockpit? I'd imagine that being that high and potentially that far away from light pollution you'd see some of the clearest skies and stars possible, or is it a case that the instruments / those flashing lights on the wings kill any night vision you'd have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Hi all, just wondering is there much of a career in aviation that involves flying smaller aircraft and not commercial sized aircraft.also would many Irish aviation graduates find themselves finding jobs abroad and rarely end up coming home?
    Also, anyone who completed the integrated course in cork atlantic flight training, how much did it cost in the end? The price listed is 63k.i hear great things about the place, thinking of going up for another flight soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Considering 450 pax with 20 kgs each, the expected load would be 9,000 kgs, so if the load sheet showed Zero, then the answer would most likely be yes.

Just curious but assuming 747-200 takeoff weight around 300,000kg then missing bags of 9,000kg is approx 3% of the planes weight.

You can really notice that difference in the controls ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Amen, the original question would the crew notice the anomoly on the weight data, and i said yes. If you are asking from the flying point of view, I asked my boss who has flown the 747 for 32 years so far and he said no.

amen wrote: »
    Just curious but assuming 747-200 takeoff weight around 300,000kg then missing bags of 9,000kg is approx 3% of the planes weight.

You can really notice that difference in the controls ?

An aircraft with mechanical control linkages may have a higher control force required at a higher weight and so this would be noticeable at lower weights, however modern airliners have control assistance such as hydraulics to actuate the controls and so the "feel" would be much the same regardless of weight.....however aircraft performance would be noticeable. A full passenger jet will climb much slower than an empty one. When re-positioning an empty aircraft the performance is noticeably different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Plus wherever those bags where to be placed on the aircraft it could give you a much more forward or aft centre of gravity meaning the stabiliser trim setting from the load sheet on some aircraft would be wrong. In a worst case scenario if you thought you had a much more forward c of g than in reality and the stab trim was set as such, you could find the nose wheel lifting off during takeoff roll like a feather which would lead to a much higher risk of a tail strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

thanks for all the answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Dear pilots, what does the sky look at night from the cockpit? I'd imagine that being that high and potentially that far away from light pollution you'd see some of the clearest skies and stars possible, or is it a case that the instruments / those flashing lights on the wings kill any night vision you'd have?

Yes, it is quite clear when cruising.

Many a night we have dimmed down the flightdeck and instrument lights to get a better look of the stars. The Milky Way can be seen quite easily as well as the constellations. With the help of an app one can also locate the Space Station.

LeftBase wrote: »
    If we feared flying we we would never have gotten in to it as a career.

Not in my case. While I wouldn't say I feared flying I was apprehensive about flying when I was a kid. It was that slight nervousness that got me to do a lot of research about the aviation industry. With all this extra knowledge as well as playing flight sim I became much more relaxed while flying. So much so that I decided to try and have a career in the industry and I haven't looked back since.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Not in my case. While I wouldn't say I feared flying I was apprehensive about flying when I was a kid. It was that slight nervousness that got me to do a lot of research about the aviation industry. With all this extra knowledge as well as playing flight sim I became much more relaxed while flying. So much so that I decided to try and have a career in the industry and I haven't looked back since.

Well I meant more if I was afraid of flying I would never have become a pilot. As you said there you got over the fear. So we would never be "fearful" in that sense going to work.

LeftBase wrote: »
    Well I meant more if I was afraid of flying I would never have become a pilot. As you said there you got over the fear. So we would never be "fearful" in that sense going to work.

Well yeah but being fearless may not be good either. Having a "fright" every now and then isn't a bad thing. It keeps you focused and alert and prevents complacency from setting in. So of course we're not afraid but we need something to keep us focused.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

There used to be courses running every now and then. You could try giving Simtech a call as they will more than likely know. Might involve a long weekend in the UK now though.......The courses try and demystify flying even down to discussing noises that you are likely to hear etc.

The fear of flying course still run in Dublin...however I have no info on who to contact. I happened to run into the couple who run the courses a few months ago (a psycologists and his ex EI staff wife) I probably should have asked for a card to keep for future use!!!!!

• Advertisement

Any advice for a young aspiring pilot? Ways of financing, how much unemployment ect. Any advice would be grateful

Advertisement