Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

in some cases when the runway is very long, 'V1' is called just as a procedure followed instantly by 'rotate' .. in these rare cases a plane could actually land again and have enough runway to break safely to a stop.. it is a rare case tho.. this was told to me by a 767 TA pilot.. i'm not bul****ing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

cuterob, I will guarantee you that you will destroy the aircraft if you tried it in the type that i fly, as was demonstrated by the crew of Paul Allens G550 a couple of years ago.

smurfjed

smurfjed wrote: »
    cuterob, I will guarantee you that you will destroy the aircraft if you tried it in the type that i fly, as was demonstrated by the crew of Paul Allens G550 a couple of years ago.

smurfjed

you may stop flying them little pansy jets so ;)

in seriousness though if you were light enough with a big enough runway it could be done right? especially in a smaller private jet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

whadafook wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but how do Boeing deliver short haul planes to far flung destinations? Do the just do multiple hops? Do Boeing pilots fly them or pilots from the purchasing airline?

Well Ryanair fly their new deliveries direct from Paine Field.

It is always the airline pilots who fly the delivery flight. Once the legal stuff and paperwork is all done (2-3 different sets of lawyers all in a conference call) the aircraft officially belongs to the airline and then its is their responsibility to get it to where they want it.

Once the legal stuff and paperwork is all done (2-3 different sets of lawyers all in a conference call) the aircraft officially belongs to the airline and then its is their responsibility to get it to where they want it.
    are you sure? I would have thought that they would only sign it over once it left USA airspace in order to avoid Washington state sales tax.

Cuterob, looking at it from a purely performance point of view, it can work, but lets say you do the sums for takeoff to 35 feet and land from 50 feet.... What happens when you reach 70 ft, will it still work? Or how long will it take to transition from a 12-15 degree nose up to a nose down attitude. Remember that you are doing about 200 feet laterally per second, so u must factor this in. So what do you do? Slam the throttles shut, the nose down, select landing flap.... And then you notice that the spoilers deployed as you were still in ground mode and u hit the ground hard enough to push the right landing gear through the wing, and bend the fuselage, not to mention shock load the engines......

Surely it makes more sense to go into the air, assess the situation, comply with the checklists and land safely.

Smurfjed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

are you sure? I would have thought that they would only sign it over once it left USA airspace in order to avoid Washington state sales tax.

Cuterob, looking at it from a purely performance point of view, it can work, but lets say you do the sums for takeoff to 35 feet and land from 50 feet.... What happens when you reach 70 ft, will it still work? Or how long will it take to transition from a 12-15 degree nose up to a nose down attitude. Remember that you are doing about 200 feet laterally per second, so u must factor this in. So what do you do? Slam the throttles shut, the nose down, select landing flap.... And then you notice that the spoilers deployed as you were still in ground mode and u hit the ground hard enough to push the right landing gear through the wing, and bend the fuselage, not to mention shock load the engines......

Surely it makes more sense to go into the air, assess the situation, comply with the checklists and land safely.

Smurfjed

Hmmm it sounds like its better to get her up first so! But... is there any hypothetical situation where it'd be better to take your chances slamming on the brakes / nosing right back down to get back on the runway asap?

Thanks for all your answers and contribution to this thread btw, you've been a mine if information, you must have the patience of a saint to constantly educate us non pilots.

Smurfjed

Oh I agree with you totally that going up is the best option.. i was only being hypothetical.. so say at rotation there's total engine failure both sides then the only option would be to slam it back down and hope for the best i would presume? Of course very little chance of that happening ever

rotation there's total engine failure both sides then the only option would be to slam it back down and hope for the best i would presume?
    It would be a perfect time to find religion ......

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

cuterob wrote: »
    .... so say at rotation there's total engine failure both sides then the only option would be to slam it back down and hope for the best i would presume? Of course very little chance of that happening ever
    i

If you have both engines fail on rotation you wont be climbing anywhere anyway. Your only choice is to put it down again.
    Whether that's back on your super long runway or farmers Joe's field is anyone's guess.

I don't know why I think of the worse case scenarios tbh lol

• Advertisement

sully2010 wrote: »
    Just reading that the pilots of the crashed Air France A330 were very fatigued on the night of the crash, with the captain Marc dubois flying on 1 hours sleep. I know there has been other fatigue related crashes in the past too.

Any long haul pilots here? Would you fly on 1 hours sleep or call in sick or would you get in trouble for calling in sick due to fatigue?

Well the local departure time was late evening (6pm or 7pm) so teh 1 hour sleep referred to in the CVR could very well be in relation to the afternoon nap that flight crew usually take before operating a through the night flight.

And this info has come out in a dubious manner.

@Smurfjed: You could be right about the WA sales tax......my only reference is with Airbus handovers (and tbh that is 2nd hand)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

There are several documentaries on Discovery on new airplane delivery from Boeing. All sign in Boeings office in WA and the new owner flies them home.

There is a good one with a Lufthansa 747 Pilot.

Boeing is exempt from sales tax on all airplanes delivered from Washington State. This is achieved by making the sale "overseas,"- i.e. not in Washington. A Boeing flight crew flies a new plane just past the 200-mile limit of U.S. sovereignty off the Washington coast, at which time money is transferred by wire and a new crew flies the plane back to Seattle, completing the sale.

We are taking delivery of a B748F in the next few days, I will be curious to see if the aircraft makes a detour flight over the Pacific, or if the transaction is done once it enters Canadian airspace.

Smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

amen wrote: »
    There are several documentaries on Discovery on new airplane delivery from Boeing. All sign in Boeings office in WA and the new owner flies them home.

There is a good one with a Lufthansa 747 Pilot.

What show was that ?

8584470103_33854cdfb5_m.jpg

8585570612_e5726c654c_m.jpg

Continuing the discussion regarding Boeing sales tax, I'm posting these here rather than photos. As you can see the only flights that this aircraft has done is within Washington state, so that would imply that the final sale is done as it crosses into Canada tonight on its delivery flight.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

Just had a commercial airliner go over my house at approx 500m, has basically woken the village up everyone was out looking to watch it, checked knock (came from that direction)- no departures, checked dublin - no arrivals til 5am, it wasn't really heading in the direction of dublin to be honest but it didn't show up on flightradar, i am in south leitrim, can anyone shed any light on this or help me find out why it happened??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

greenybaby wrote: »
    Just had a commercial airliner go over my house at approx 500m, has basically woken the village up everyone was out looking to watch it, checked knock (came from that direction)- no departures, checked dublin - no arrivals til 5am, it wasn't really heading in the direction of dublin to be honest but it didn't show up on flightradar, i am in south leitrim, can anyone shed any light on this or help me find out why it happened??

aliens-meme.jpeg

donvito99 wrote: »
    aliens-meme.jpeg

For you :)images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAXzn4mCKAki3zdYWMkVUroSDvVnPKCDpZVaOTbjRJ0vpxD4Ldbg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Ahem :mad:
    pclancy wrote: »
    This thread is for people who are interested in a commercial career in flying to ask a qualified commercial pilot questions about their daily lives, technical/system questions, career guidance, licencing, how best to become an airline pilot etc

Over time it will become full of good nuggets of information and serve as a good reference point for people wanting a career in the flight deck.

It is not intended for general discussion, general aviation or PPL questions, chit-chat, discussion of sensitive hr/corporate airline information or anything that could break the A&A forum charter.

Asking Questions: Please only post if you are asking or answering a question so as to keep it nice and tidy. commercial pilots are requested to include their licence type, relevant rating held and hours in their response ie ATPL(F), 738, 500. I don't expect you to divulge your airline or personal details but at least it might serve as some proof to your credentials

We'll see how it goes and sticky if its busy enough.

Sorry will start a thread on the forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

"Asking Questions: commercial pilots are requested to include their licence type, relevant rating held and hours in their response ie ATPL(F), 738, 500. I don't expect you to divulge your airline or personal details but at least it might serve as some proof to your credentials "

P, that ain't goin to happen.....any old fool can write atpl a380 capt. Bullish!tters can be weeded out with ease as what happened on the AL cadet thread. The core of replies here come I feel from bona fide merchants imparting their experience and knowledge. Just my 2c skip.

Captain
    Air Force One 747
    3 million hours experience

Captain
    USS Enterprise
    400 lighthyears experience

cuterob wrote: »
    Captain
    Air Force One 747
    3 million hours experience

CuteRob is obviously a fake...
    ...the real AF1 captain would have stated VC-25A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

On my days off I do rendition flights. Am trying to sort out a few at the mo. Getting quite a long list of bankers and politicians though. Might have to bring in a 744 at this rate.

Tenger wrote: »
    CuteRob is obviously a fake...
    ...the real AF1 captain would have stated VC-25A

smoke screen

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Just saw the picture of the gulfstream g650 on anet and noticed it has a side stick and yoke. Never saw this before, I presume they are both the same function for whatever the pilots preference is? And what to pilots generally prefer, sidestick or yoke?

sully2010 wrote: »
    Just saw the picture of the gulfstream g650 on anet and noticed it has a side stick and yoke. Never saw this before, I presume they are both the same function for whatever the pilots preference is? And what to pilots generally prefer, sidestick or yoke?

Is that not just a handle of sorts?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

I think that stick on the Captains LHS is for nosewheel steering on the ground........ not 100% sure though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Could be a handle..with buttons on it but its not nosewheel steering, the tiller is below it. Ive googled it and cant find an answer as to what its for. Reminds me of a cirrus sidestick.

Advertisement