Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

faceman wrote: »
    I'm no pilot but I think its so in the event of an emergency during those parts of the flight and its dark outside, your eyes won't need to adjust once you try leave the plane into the night time. It makes for a speedier exit

And people turn on their reading lights then which make absolutely no sense what so ever to me! :confused:

Defeats the whole process!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

LeftBase wrote: »
    And people turn on their reading lights then which make absolutely no sense what so ever to me! :confused:

Defeats the whole process!

If the cabin lights are on and there is smoke it can be very hard to see where you are or where the exit is. ( think of having your headlights on in fog while driving). Turning them off makes the emergency floor lighting easier to see and follow to the nearest exit.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    If the cabin lights are on and there is smoke it can be very hard to see where you are or where the exit is. ( think of having your headlights on in fog while driving). Turning them off makes the emergency floor lighting easier to see and follow to the nearest exit.

I know but what I'm saying is that surely when the cabin crew turn the lights off they should be able to temporarily turn off the reading lights in the overhead panels too. When ever the lights go off people pop on their reading lights so they can keep reading their book etc. That defeats the light adjustment process for passenger's eyes and is much the same as having the cabin lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I know but what I'm saying is that surely when the cabin crew turn the lights off they should be able to temporarily turn off the reading lights in the overhead panels too. When ever the lights go off people pop on their reading lights so they can keep reading their book etc. That defeats the light adjustment process for passenger's eyes and is much the same as having the cabin lights on.

Yeah well it's not a requirement. Something as simple as the cabin crew having an additional button to deactivate the reading lights would take a huge amount of time and resources to get it approved. That's why many modern aircraft, especially Boeing have a lot of very old style systems but to change it would require a huge amount of effort in the certificate process. This is an area where I think over-regulation can hinder safety.

Even with every single reading light on (I've seen it) the cabin overall is still a lot darker than with the regular lights on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Something I always wanted to know, why is it that the speed brakes on an airbus fully deploy when landing, and on a Boeing some fully deploy and others go 2 thirds the way up? Aircraft design?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Something I always wanted to know, why is it that the speed brakes on an airbus fully deploy when landing, and on a Boeing some fully deploy and others go 2 thirds the way up? Aircraft design?

On the 737 NG You have 12 spoilers 1-6 is l/h wing from outboard to inboard,right hand is 7-12 from inboard to outboard.
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12

No's 1,6,7,12 are called ground spoilers and only actuate on the ground on landing when armed and the r/h gear touches down and a number of other scenarios including rad alt and l/h mlg compression.On the ground all the spoilers including flight spoilers will pop up with the handle pulled
    (I should of mentioned here too that when the pilots have speed brake armed,upon landing all the spoilers will pop up,not just ground spoilers as I re read and sounded a bit confusing)

In Flight you have spoilers 2,3,4,5 8,9,10,11 operating,all these flight spoilers will deflect up a certain distance when the speedbrake handle is pulled,they pop up to different angles,cant remember off hand the degrees but say spoilers most outboard on each wing 2,3 and 10,11 move up a different distance to 4,5 and 8,9.This is used to slow down the a/c

The flight spoilers you will see will also move up and down to assist ailerons in rolling the aircraft,this is probably hard to spot this in small enough turns,it kicks in at a few degrees of column movement and is all interlinked in a few mechanical devices in the main wheel well the spoiler mixer and ratio changer.
    Thats just a basic enough description,I found this the hardest part of the type course,its a huge chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Bit of a sick question, hope you don't mind me asking! When flying 20+ years ago as a passenger, everyone was provided with a sick bag, and I remember well that I'd often see/hear passengers making good use of them!

Nowadays the sick bags are gone, and I don't recall anyone throwing up on a flight in several years. Any ideas why? Are the planes less bumpy? Or are people just more used to flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

I have a question that is really important for me.
    When I was a child I had a disease Pertussis which caused epilepsy. I was taking medications until I was 5 years old. Since then I never had a epileptic attack or fade out's. I am currently 17 years old, so its basically 12 years without epilepsy.
    Is there a chance for me to become a commercial pilot?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

deandean wrote: »
    Bit of a sick question, hope you don't mind me asking! When flying 20+ years ago as a passenger, everyone was provided with a sick bag, and I remember well that I'd often see/hear passengers making good use of them!

Nowadays the sick bags are gone, and I don't recall anyone throwing up on a flight in several years. Any ideas why? Are the planes less bumpy? Or are people just more used to flying?

Very interesting observation!! And you are right, there are less/no sick bags today and there are also less people in need of them! In my experience anyway!! I wonder why that is? Perhaps in the past it wasn't so much to do with the actual aircraft but the nerves of the general public when it came to flying! And it is in fact possible to make oneself sick from nerves and anxiety! Add in a little alcohol(no longer complimentary) and some turbulence(which would increase any preexisting anxiety) and volia you have "airsickness" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Airbus have turbulence damping modes and load alleviation gadgets on board. Negative g is off set by slight spoiler actuation on the wing to limit the effect.

• Advertisement

I have a question that is really important for me.
    When I was a child I had a disease Pertussis which caused epilepsy. I was taking medications until I was 5 years old. Since then I never had a epileptic attack or fade out's. I am currently 17 years old, so its basically 12 years without epilepsy.
    Is there a chance for me to become a commercial pilot?

Interesting this should come up. One of my cousins had a similar condition. He had seizures up to the age of 9 and then "grew out of it" according to the Docs. He went to college, got a degree and was working in the AgFood sector. Last month at age 25 he decided to go and train to be a pilot(copycat). He paid 2k for an assessment(yes he's was one of those guys) and then went to do his Class 1 medical. According to him when he filled out the paperwork at the start(with all the details and medical jargon to do with the condition) the doctor came out immediately and told him that there was no way he could pass a class 1 medical with the seizure history he had. The reason given was that specific condition can in a minority of sufferers reactivate. He was told that it is one of the few conditions that can fail you straight off the bat when you put it down on the form. HOWEVER he used to just drop down to the ground randomly as a child so he may have had a serious type of epilepsy.

He was seizure free for near 16 years and very healthy and a high level sportsman. He was a little miffed that he was dismissed so flatly.

You should contact the Aeromed people in the Mater Private and ask them. Tom Gaffney is the Chief Medical Officer and is a sound guy. You can get his email on the IAA website. He can answer any questions you have about the condition and if it will affect you.

Interesting this should come up. One of my cousins had a similar condition. He had seizures up to the age of 9 and then "grew out of it" according to the Docs. He went to college, got a degree and was working in the AgFood sector. Last month at age 25 he decided to go and train to be a pilot(copycat). He paid 2k for an assessment(yes he's was one of those guys) and then went to do his Class 1 medical. According to him when he filled out the paperwork at the start(with all the details and medical jargon to do with the condition) the doctor came out immediately and told him that there was no way he could pass a class 1 medical with the seizure history he had. The reason given was that specific condition can in a minority of sufferers reactivate. He was told that it is one of the few conditions that can fail you straight off the bat when you put it down on the form. HOWEVER he used to just drop down to the ground randomly as a child so he may have had a serious type of epilepsy.

He was seizure free for near 16 years and very healthy and a high level sportsman. He was a little miffed that he was dismissed so flatly.

You should contact the Aeromed people in the Mater Private and ask them. Tom Gaffney is the Chief Medical Officer and is a sound guy. You can get his email on the IAA website. He can answer any questions you have about the condition and if it will affect you.

Thanks for answer, it's really helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

Here's the relevant section from Jar ops (available on the IAA website)

http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/606984.pdf
    (a) An applicant for or holder of a Class 1 medical certificate shall have no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any neurological condition which is likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the applicable licence(s).
    (b) Particular attention shall be paid to the following (see Appendix 11 to Subpart B):
    (1) Progressive disease of the nervous system,
    (2) Epilepsy and other causes of disturbance of consciousness,
    (3) Conditions with a high propensity for cerebral dysfunction,
    (4) Head injury,
    (5) Spinal or peripheral nerve injury.
    (c) Electroencephalography is required [ ] when indicated by the applicant’s history or on clinical grounds [(see Appendix 11 to Subpart B)].
    [Amdt.2, 01.06.02; Amdt.5, 01.12.06]

Appendix 11 to Subparts B and C Neurological requirements (See JAR–FCL 3.210 and 3.330)
    1 Any stationary or progressive disease of the nervous system which has caused or is likely to cause a significant disability is disqualifying. However, [in case of minor functional losses, associated with stationary disease] the AMS may consider [a fit assessment] [ ]after full evaluation.
    2 [ ][A history of one or more episodes of disturbance of consciousness of uncertain cause is disqualifying. In case of a single episode of such disturbance of consciousness, which can be satisfactorily explained, a fit assessment may be considered by the AMS, but a recurrence is normally disqualifying.]
    3 Epileptiform paroxysmal EEG abnormalities and focal slow waves normally are disqualifying. Further evaluation shall be carried out by the AMS.
    4 [ ][A diagnosis of epilepsy is disqualifying, unless there is unequivocal evidence of a syndrome of benign childhood epilepsy associated with a very low risk of recurrence, and unless the applicant has been free of recurrence and off treatment for more than 10 years. One or more convulsive episodes after the age of 5 are disqualifying. However, in case of an acute symptomatic seizure, which is considered to have a very low risk of recurrence by a consultant neurologist acceptable to the AMS, a fit assessment may be considered by the AMS.]
    5 An applicant having had a single afebrile epileptiform seizure which has not recurred after at least 10 years while off treatment, and where there is no evidence of continuing predisposition to epilepsy, may be [ ][assessed as fit] if the risk of a further seizure is considered [ ][to be within] the limits acceptable to the AMS. For [a] Class 1 [ ][fit assessment a multi-pilot (Class 1 ‘OML’)] limitation shall be applied.
    6 Any head injury which has been severe enough to cause loss of consciousness or is associated with penetrating brain injury must be assessed by the AMS and be seen by a consultant neurologist acceptable to the AMS. There must be a full recovery and a low risk ([ ][within] the limits acceptable to the AMS) of epilepsy before [ ][a fit assessment] is possible.
    7 [ ][Assessment] of applicants with a history of spinal or peripheral nerve injury shall be undertaken in conjunction with the musculo-skeletal requirements, Appendices and Manual Chapter.
    8 The assessment of malignant conditions in this system is also explained in the Oncology Chapter of the Manual which provides information regarding [ ][assessment] and should be consulted together with the Chapter specific to this system. All intracerebral malignant tumours are disqualifying.
    [Amdt. 2, 01.06.02; Amdt.5, 01.12.06]

First of all, I'm assuming you were diagnosed with epilepsy as a complication of whooping cough (pertussis), and it wasn't just febrile convulsions which are fairly common in kids with viral illnesses and high temperatures.
    Secondly, you were off meds and fit free since you were 5 years old.

Ok, so while a diagnosis of epilepsy is normally disqualifying, it certainly could be argued that you fall into the 'low risk of recurrence' category. You also have been seizure free for the required 10 years, and have not had a fit since before age 5 years (unlike Leftbase's cousin). So I definitely think you have a chance of getting a class 1.
    Before you spend a penny on any training you need to talk to the good people at the IAA - Dr Tom Gaffney will steer you in the right direction. Drop him an email and ask him to recommend an IAA approved neurologist to get an assessment - it will be Dr Gaffney who decides weather you get your medical based on what the approved neurologist says.

Good Luck :)

Flier wrote: »
    ....it certainly could be argued that you fall into the 'low risk of recurrence' category. You also have been seizure free for the required 10 years, and have not had a fit since before age 5 years (unlike Leftbase's cousin). So I definitely think you have a chance of getting a class 1.

I hope the OP gets his medical however in the example I stated above any risk at all was seen as too much risk. A lot of kids grow out of such conditions and are never troubled again by them. Epilepsy is a very sticky term to apply to someone. Some people have it as a minor inconvenience and live totally normal lives seizure free for decades, while others cant function due to it's effects and live what you'd struggle to call any life at all. I suppose it depends on the type in each case.

Now that I think about it I cant remember if my cousin was turned down "before Dr Gaffney took over"...........if people get my drift....perhaps he should try again now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

True, authorities wouldn't be known for their 'risk taking' in giving out dubious medicals, especially initials, but the magic number here I think is 5 (years old). But like I said, there's an argument to be made, and a chance of getting the medical, provided EEG's and any other investigations come back clear. By no means a certainty or anywhere near it.

I have send an email to Dr. Gaffney, awaiting his response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Flier is giving you a very sensible response, never base a medical decision on heresy, if you really want to pursue a flying career, then invest in the medical assessment.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭whadafook

Probably a silly question but how do Boeing deliver short haul planes to far flung destinations? Do the just do multiple hops? Do Boeing pilots fly them or pilots from the purchasing airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

whadafook wrote: »
    Probably a silly question but how do Boeing deliver short haul planes to far flung destinations? Do the just do multiple hops? Do Boeing pilots fly them or pilots from the purchasing airline?

You should watch dangerous flights on discovery

whadafook wrote: »

With no passengers or baggage etc the endurance of the aircraft is greatly increased. The 737-800 can make the crossing to Europe in one hop a lot of the time.
    youknowwho wrote: »
    You should watch dangerous flights on discovery

Boeing tend to save their manufacturing for aircraft.....not drama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Boeing tend to save their manufacturing for aircraft.....not drama

I agree, but they seemed to have put a lot of drama into the manufacturing of the 787:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

With no passengers or baggage etc the endurance of the aircraft is greatly increased. The 737-800 can make the crossing to Europe in one hop a lot of the time.

I was told by someone that lives in Seattle that huge inflatable tanks are put into the ryanair planes to get them over? any truth in that? would anyone know for sure who doesn't work in ryanair?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

cuterob wrote: »
    I was told by someone that lives in Seattle that huge inflatable tanks are put into the ryanair planes to get them over? any truth in that? would anyone know for sure who doesn't work in ryanair?

The 737-800 does not have any inflatable tanks inserted inside the plane , they can usually make the trip with favourable winds non stop and if not they land and take on more fuel on Canada's east coast before crossing the Atlantic .

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

Couple of questions to the Pilots on here

How screwed are you if on takeoff an engine fails?
    Also is it true that when you hit a certain speed on take off you must take off even if something goes wrong? I know the runway is short but surely it's best to take your chances by slamming on the breaks and staying on ground?
    What's the biggest near miss you've had ( if any)?

I have had the pleasure of flying multiple aircraft full flight simulators over the years, on an aircraft like the A380, it has an automatic rudder response to an engine failure that makes the failure extremely benign, on the B777 it has a TAC system that works in a similar fashion but I don't know if its as effective as the A380. On the older B747's, an outboard engine failure would keep you awake, but you have to remember that crews are trained to deal with this and get to revalidate their training twice a year.

Slamming on the brakes is an excellent idea provided that you have an unlimited amount of runway ahead of you, but what happens if the runway ends facing the water, like New York JFK, or Hong Kong, if you don't stop in time you are going to make the situation a lot worse than if you continued into the air.

Two days ago, had passing traffic come a little bit too close to us, his wake turbulence kicked us right over, the autopiiot disengaged and we were about 45 degrees on our side, not sure what was more violent, that event or my recovery :) But i have to admit that was in a full flight simulator doing annual training. In real life, I have never had a near miss, TG.

Today i get to practice, hot and high performance, emergency descents, and controlled flight into terrain, somehow i think that i would prefer it this was called, controlled flight NOT INTO terrain :)

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Rabbitt

smurfjed wrote: »
    I have had the pleasure of flying multiple aircraft full flight simulators over the years, on an aircraft like the A380, it has an automatic rudder response to an engine failure that makes the failure extremely benign, on the B777 it has a TAC system that works in a similar fashion but I don't know if its as effective as the A380. On the older B747's, an outboard engine failure would keep you awake, but you have to remember that crews are trained to deal with this and get to revalidate their training twice a year.

Slamming on the brakes is an excellent idea provided that you have an unlimited amount of runway ahead of you, but what happens if the runway ends facing the water, like New York JFK, or Hong Kong, if you don't stop in time you are going to make the situation a lot worse than if you continued into the air.

Two days ago, had passing traffic come a little bit too close to us, his wake turbulence kicked us right over, the autopiiot disengaged and we were about 45 degrees on our side, not sure what was more violent, that event or my recovery :) But i have to admit that was in a full flight simulator doing annual training. In real life, I have never had a near miss, TG.

Today i get to practice, hot and high performance, emergency descents, and controlled flight into terrain, somehow i think that i would prefer it this was called, controlled flight NOT INTO terrain :)

smurfjed

And on an A320 or 737 if an engine goes are goosed?

Yea agree if the runway ends at water but I would rather take my chances in the sea then getting 2000 ft in the air nod crashing down!!
    Cheers for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

cuterob wrote: »

Someone in Seattle is taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Rabbitt wrote: »
    And on an A320 or 737 if an engine goes are goosed?

Yea agree if the runway ends at water but I would rather take my chances in the sea then getting 2000 ft in the air nod crashing down!!
    Cheers for the reply

99.9999% of technical incidents do not result in any sort of accident. The aircraft is designed to be able to take off and return to the airport after an engine failure or other technical problem. It's not designed to swim, plough through perimeter fences etc. That's why they proceed to take off after a certain point.

Rabbitt, apart from water, i have seen drainage ditches at the end of runways, so you will hit them at a rapid rate of knots and clean off your undercarriage, so it makes a lot more sense to take the aircraft into the air. I only know of ONE case where this wasn't the case, a HS748 in the UK, the captain rotated, event happened and he immediately landed again. The resulting investigation showed that the wing spar would have burnt off in the time that he would have taken to fly a circuit.

But this is unique rather than the norm.

I would have thought that the B737-800 would do about 8-9 hours, so with prevailing winds from Seattle, they might make it, or as someone said they can always stop in Gander. There is a BBJ, N737ER, that holds the record for Seattle to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the flight time was about 13 hours, but this aircraft has a 7000 lb interior and additional fuel tanks.

smurfjed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Just reading that the pilots of the crashed Air France A330 were very fatigued on the night of the crash, with the captain Marc dubois flying on 1 hours sleep. I know there has been other fatigue related crashes in the past too.

Any long haul pilots here? Would you fly on 1 hours sleep or call in sick or would you get in trouble for calling in sick due to fatigue?

Advertisement