Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Chaps and Chapettes,

brilliant thread, I've posted once in it before with a sensible question so this may be an insensible one.

As a very interested amateur (i do love my flightradar24 pro app on my iPad), could a sticky be compiled with the ancronyms and their meanings?

Cheers,

P \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

AFFF -­‐ Aqueous Film Forming Foam AFM -­‐ Aircraft Flight Manual AOM -­‐ Aircraft Operations Manual AIRREP -­‐Air Report ATC -­‐ Air Traffic Control CO2 -­‐ Carbon Dioxide CR2 -­‐ Jeppesen Flight Computer DH -­‐ Decision Height DO -­‐ Director Of Operations ETA -­‐ Estimated Time of Arrival ETD -­‐ Estimated Time of Departure FHB -­‐ Flight Handbook FPS -­‐ Flight Proficiency Standards FRS -­‐ Flight Reference System IATA -­‐ International Airline Transport Association ICAO -­‐ International Civil Aviation Organisation IFR -­‐ Instrument Flight Rules L/C -­‐ Line Check MAP -­‐ Missed Approach Point MDA -­‐ Minimum Descent Altitude MEA -­‐ Minimum Enroute Altitude MEL/CDL -­‐ Minimum Equipment List/ Configuration Deviation List MET -­‐ Meteorology MOCA -­‐ Minimum Obstruction Clearance Altitude NOTAMS -­‐ Notice To Airmen OAT -­‐ Outside Air Temperature PA -­‐ Public Address P/C -­‐ Proficiency Check PIC -­‐ Pilot in Command R/C -­‐ Recurrent Training RTB -­‐ Recurrent Training Bulletin SID -­‐ Standard Instrument Departure STAR -­‐ Standard Terminal Arrival Routes TI -­‐ Transport Index VASI -­‐ Visual Approach Slope Indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Chaps and Chapettes,

brilliant thread, I've posted once in it before with a sensible question so this may be an insensible one.

As a very interested amateur (i do love my flightradar24 pro app on my iPad), could a sticky be compiled with the ancronyms and their meanings?

Cheers,

P \m/

I have a document from Airbus with all the abbreviations listed on it. Its extremly long (about 190 pages) so I won't post it here, but if a Mod wants to create a stick I'll happily email to them, or anyone else who'd like a read through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

It the document editable? Could create little web service that allows you to enter the abbreviation and return the meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

amen wrote: »
    It the document editable? Could create little web service that allows you to enter the abbreviation and return the meaning?

If you want me to send it to you your more then welcome to play around with it and see what you could come up with! It's a PDF document but I'm sure it could be saved as text document and edited that way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Was flying in a A333 over the Atlantic recently and turbulence was pretty bad. We seemed to be stuck at 38k ft for most of the duration with the highest point being 38,025. It felt fairly rough (from a passenger's perspective) at one point (cue tears and prayers in the cabin) Was curious as to how high a commercial airline is likely to take a plane to avoid that kind of turbulence. And are the lads in the cockpit going "oh jesus" when we hit turbulence or are they taking bets on how many are crying out the back? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

faceman wrote: »
    Was flying in a A333 over the Atlantic recently and turbulence was pretty bad. We seemed to be stuck at 38k ft for most of the duration with the highest point being 38,025. It felt fairly rough (from a passenger's perspective) at one point (cue tears and prayers in the cabin) Was curious as to how high a commercial airline is likely to take a plane to avoid that kind of turbulence. And are the lads in the cockpit going "oh jesus" when we hit turbulence or are they taking bets on how many are crying out the back? :D

Every aircraft has a maximum service ceiling which is specified by the manufacturer. The Boeing 738 is 41,000 and I think the Boeing 747-400 is 45,000.

The aircraft weight, and temp at altitude may restrict the aircraft from being able to go that high though. There are also rules which may not allow you to climb that high depending on which direction you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

We seemed to be stuck at 38k ft for most of the duration with the highest point being 38,025

I am not a pilot but its my understanding that a lot of the jet stream turbulence occurs at the jet stream boundaris.

In the case of bad turbulence would it not be better to descend fully into the stream ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

A330-300 and 200 series have a max service ceiling of 41,000, but you would not often fly at that altitude often for lots of good reasons. Aircraft weight and temperature will often mean the aircraft is not capable of getting to that level on the day. Even if the max altitude is possible, there will often not be much of a 'buffet margin', so it's advisable to stay lower. Especially if you're expecting any turbulence you want a decent buffet margin, or you might end up in an overspeed or even stall situation which is not a good thing! Some folk just don't like going up that high because of the increase in radiation, some don't like to see the aircraft struggle to make the last few hundred feet (which gets important if you're unlucky enough to get a TCAS 'climb' at altitude).

As for the jet stream and turbulence, yes, there should be very little turb in the core of the jet stream, but I've yet to see one run exactly along my intended flight path at a constant level, so at some stage you will be entering / leaving one and pick up the turb. They tend to snake their way along, so you'll often find yourself having to go through the same jet stream several times in the same flight. If you get caught in bad turb that's going to last, of course you'll look at different levels, but often the best levels are already occupied :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

amen wrote: »
    In the case of bad turbulence would it not be better to descend fully into the stream ?
    In the case above it could very well be that descending/ascending would not allow you to dodge the turbulence. In addition perhaps you have aircraft above/below you restricting your options.
    Flight crew would prefer to be away from any turbulence i possible but sometimes everyone else around is getting the same and you just have to endure it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

couldnt resist :D

20938.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

crazygeryy wrote: »
    couldnt resist :D

20938.jpg

There was a suggestion that MOL was looking at getting pilots to do this in order to sell booze on flights!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Sorry if this was asked before but I've always wondered why bigger jets have tillers for the nose-wheel steering and smaller aircraft use the rudder pedals.

Why is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

When you pass another company aircraft while taxiing do you wave out the window at your colleagues like bus drivers do?

sully2010 wrote: »
    Sorry if this was asked before but I've always wondered why bigger jets have tillers for the nose-wheel steering and smaller aircraft use the rudder pedals.

Why is this?

In a large aircraft the sheer weight and size means the rudder cannot turn the aircraft. This is because you are taxing at such slow speed. The rudder will give you a little bit of movement(15 degrees or so) and gentle pressure can be used to keep on the taxi centre line. On TO however the rudder pedals are used to keep on the centre line once you have reached a speed that allows for rudder authority.
    lord lucan wrote: »
    When you pass another company aircraft while taxiing do you wave out the window at your colleagues like bus drivers do?

Depends on if you know them. In a large airline you may not know everyone on the line. However when you meet with someone you do know "gestures" can be exchanged yes......

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

I hear that Captain Davina Pratt has stepped down as the Chief Pilot at Aer Lingus and is now the COO at Aer Arann. Anyone know who the new Chief pilot is and what their opinions on the cadet scheme are?

While on the topic, who decides who get's to be the chief pilot, the pilots or the management? Is it a set term or just as long as they wish to do it for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm learning to fly an A320 in a flight sim and I have it set the "realistic". The manual is pants to follow so maybe someone can help! I've managed to get the engines on and taxi to the runway. I've turned off the OH switches on the air panel so as to not to interfere with thrust on take off

Unfortunately I can never get more than about 90% and I never get enough speed to take off. Someone mentioned I need to fiddle with air bleed on the 'DFU' or 'AFU' ( ?)

So my question is what is it I'm being asked to fiddle with and and why does it affect thrust?

Learning to fly even in the virtual world has given me a whole new respect for commercial pilots!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

I'm learning to fly an A320 in a flight sim and I have it set the "realistic". The manual is pants to follow so maybe someone can help! I've managed to get the engines on and taxi to the runway. I've turned off the OH switches on the air panel so as to not to interfere with thrust on take off

Unfortunately I can never get more than about 90% and I never get enough speed to take off. Someone mentioned I need to fiddle with air bleed on the 'DFU' or 'AFU' ( ?)

So my question is what is it I'm being asked to fiddle with and and why does it affect thrust?

Learning to fly even in the virtual world has given me a whole new respect for commercial pilots!
    Packs off takeoffs are only really used when takeoff distance is marginal, for the most part as far as I know, most takeoffs nowadays are packs on to limit the pack cycles for maintainence reasons. Might just be you've loaded the aircraft wrong and she's too heavy. And from off the top of my head, the A320 doesn't typically give over 90% on TO, typically around 88% is sufficient for most runways.

Capt Frank Lawless is the new chief pilot. I've no idea what his personal views on the cadet program are. The appointment is for a fixed term (thats a new departure), I can't remember off the top of my head, something like 3 or 5 years. And it's a management appointment, nothing to do with the pilot body.

Faceman, a A320 should be able to get off the ground with 90%, unless it's very heavy / high /hot / low pressure. Is there something else you've forgotten??

• Advertisement

Sully, the A330 has rudder nose wheel steering up to 6 degrees, the A320 I think is something similar, after that its by tiler. Aerodynamic rudder steering doesn't come into play until during the take off roll - there is a blend of rudder NWS and aerodynamic steering until 100kts, when NWS becomes inactive and lateral control is purely rudder. I don't know if there's any technical reason why you couldn't link the rudder pedals to the NWS for a greater range of authority, but I think it would be kind of awkward to steer a big aircraft with the rudder pedals. Best to keep the feet away from the pedals as much as possible!

Lord Lucan, I always wave to my colleagues, weather I know them or not. TBH I'm that far away, I can hardly make out who it is half the time.

That's it, I'm done for tonight!

90% is more than enough to reach Vr with. The engines will not gibe 100% of the thrust they can give unless the conditions are bang on their ideal operating envelope in relation to temperature and pressure etc.

Obvious question here but have you configured the aircraft for take off? Are the flaps set/speed brakes retracted?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

lord lucan wrote: »

Love it :D

I am chronic for waving at pilots taxiing to the gate :o very few wave back though :(

My question is........... what is the most challenging airport you have landed at/taken from and why

greenybaby wrote: »
    My question is........... what is the most challenging airport you have landed at/taken from and why

Flew into Geneva in low vis and what must have been an Alpine Blizzard. There is a lot of mountains round there and the wind howling over them created a bit of a wild ride in. Spotted the lights at what must have been about 50ft above minimums. You could bearly see a thing! Perhaps it was my little bit of inexperience but I was just waiting for the GPWS to kick off on the way in....and then again on the way out!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

While on the topic, who decides who get's to be the chief pilot, the pilots or the management?.......
    The equality commission made them scrap the yearly arm wrestle.

So now they wait to see who can avoid buying a round for the longest on a night out.....that individual gets it.

The engines will not gibe 100% of the thrust they can give unless the conditions are bang on their ideal operating envelope in relation to temperature
    Isn't that the purpose of TFLEX on the A320?

smurfjed

Although we operate under part 91 regulations we also comply with a lot of Part 121 regulations pertaining to crew training and currency, this makes our training costs a lot higher than they need to be, but it enhances safety and also allows pilots to fly the same type of aircraft in normal passenger operations when they get bored with VIP standby duty.
    So the last day of the year saw me assigned to accompany someone during his annual line check, this is a normal flight but we had a designated check pilot sitting in the jumpseat, these flights can be fun or anal, it all depends on the check pilot.
    We met at flight dispatch 2 hours before ETD, where we were given a briefing with information including the flightplan, notams (notices to airmen), weather, the main passengers name and the expected number of his/her party.
    We went through security then on to a crew bus for the ride to the aircraft, once there we have defined roles and tasks assigned, so we had the aircraft ready to move in about 20 minutes, our passengers use a special terminal, so we have to get permission to enter that area, if we are not expected, we will not be allowed to start, but that day was quiet and we were quickly granted permission and clearance to start. Moving the aircraft takes about 20 minutes.
    We can always tell when the passengers are arriving as a cavalcade of exotic cars will descend upon us.
    We taxied out to the departure runway, another one of our Gulfstreams was cleared to line-up and wait on the runway, but at this stage we were ready for departure. The controller realized that we were coming from the VIP area, while our colleagues had a flight number that indicated that they were empty. So we were cleared to enter the runway from a different taxiway and takeoff ahead of our colleagues, this would have looked good for a photographer.
    While the airport has lots of nice SID’s, I have never used one ☺ Its always runway heading climb to 5000 feet, contact departure.
    The role of the check pilot is to observe that we are following standard operating procedures, so he was busy scribbling notes for the whole flight.
    After about 30 minutes in cruise, we were changed to the arrival area controller, he cleared us to the airport and to expect an ILS approach to the left runway, we used our magic words and were cleared to use the right runway as its much closer to our parking area. Once that was approved, we asked for a direct routing to the Initial Approach Fix, once again this was approved and we were #1 with no speed restriction. Following the landing we were met by a follow-me truck and brought to the allocated parking stand; there was a line of Bentleys waiting for us.
    Our biggest decision on the ground was about eating our dinner on the ground or during the flight, as eating would take us 30-40 minutes, we decided to eat inflight, so once fueled we were on our way home again.
    I could never understand the logic behind the departure procedure for the Right runway as it has us turning left towards the VOR and therefore blocking departures off the Left runway, and then turning right at the VOR which is 5 miles from the runway, I would have thought that runway heading to an intercept radial from the VOR would have made more sense.
    The check pilot requested that we did an RNAV arrival, we train for these in the simulator and the aircraft is equipped, but we only recently got the written approval from our regulators, so this was actually the first time that we were going to do an RNAV arrival in the aircraft. We discussed the procedures during the cruise in order to remove any ambiguities, this is where the check pilots role changed and he became an instructor.
    Generally we use the airports ILS (Instrument Landing System) for arrivals, this is basically a system of two beams transmitted from the end of the runway, the aircraft’s equipment shows if the aircraft is left/right or high/low in relation to that beam. With RNAV, we would use only the aircrafts equipment to follow a lateral/vertical profile to the runway, the aircrafts exact position would be determined using the aircrafts GPS/IRS. This procedure gave us a much higher decision altitude, 460 feet versus 200 for the ILS, but as the weather was crystal clear, this wasn’t an issue. The approach and landing were uneventful. After landing we taxied to our remote parking, making sure that we called the crew transport on the way.
    Back in the operations building, the check pilot gave us a de-briefing. He found faults in our adherence to the SOP’s and expected us to learn from the experience. That’s one of the best advantages of this type of operation, the system tries to remove bad habits or techniques rather than letting them develop.
    Now it was time to celebrate New Years Eve during the 12 hours that I had before the next flight.

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JD93

Hi
    I took an Airfrance flight from Dublin to London in December, strange kinda plane with noises.
    Does anyone know what the screech is off the wheels when I was walking to the back outside to board? Like air or something?

Then after the takeoff the captain flipped up the flaps(i think they were) and it was like some diving howling noise u see in films?

And they never put the engines into the reversing when they landed. Very nose down approach.

Just wondering, its the nicest flight i was ever on. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

JD93 wrote: »
    Hi
    I took an Airfrance flight from Dublin to London in December, strange kinda plane with noises.
    Does anyone know what the screech is off the wheels when I was walking to the back outside to board? Like air or something?

Then after the takeoff the captain flipped up the flaps(i think they were) and it was like some diving howling noise u see in films?

And they never put the engines into the reversing when they landed. Very nose down approach.

Just wondering, its the nicest flight i was ever on. Thanks.

what you're describing sounds like BAe 146, it has no thrust reversers, instead it has airbrakes under the tail.

everything except the first sentence is a part of normal operation of this plane.

Advertisement